Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: SALLY OF THE TROPICS  (Read 39920 times)

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
Re:SALLY OF THE TROPICS
« Reply #300 on: November 13, 2003, 06:41:11 PM »

I got a 1200 on my SAT's...I could have done better. Eh.

-I'm trying to get to more than a Newbie...but you guys are so far ahead of me I've forgotten that number...-
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jennifer

« Reply #301 on: November 13, 2003, 06:47:21 PM »

DR Andrea wrote:
Hillel has been frantically organizing bake sales across campus in order to fund their next several thousand dollar musical: Evita

Are they actually going to do a production of Evita? This is one of my favorite musicals. So if they do, you must tell me when and where.

Montreal is so pathetic for musicals. Do you or Emily know if anything new/big/ and French is coming here anytime soon. I am craving musical theatre!

DR Ben wrote:
Hey, Canadians

Do you know anything about this show.

It's from a Headline I saw on line.

New Gay Dating TV Show on in Canada

here's the link to the story

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl...n_tv_fairy_tale

Never heard of this show. And trust me if it was news I would have heard about it. I don't even know what pride vision channel is. I am pretty sure I don't get it. Anyone know?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 06:49:53 PM by Jennifer »

Ben

« Reply #302 on: November 13, 2003, 06:48:52 PM »

Oh, just luck I guess. Also, I didn't watch much of Friends. I think it was not very good. And you probably watched all of Survivor. I did sit through Will and Grace. Next week is a "very special" Will and Grace and what will happen was what I predicted would happen last season when the other thing happened. It's all so predictable. And I had a posting frenzy after returning home from work when I was in a foul mood and needed some release. And now I'm part of the posting frenzy which has broken yesterday's number and since it's only 6:45 on the left coast I'm sure we will break Tuesday's number. Tom and TCB and Jed and Ann and other left coasters chime in while others sleep and they help to keep this board the jiggiest on the Internet.

I will coast over to the NY Times to see if the Taboo review is up yet.

Ben

« Reply #303 on: November 13, 2003, 06:50:14 PM »

Jennifer, did the link not work? I tried it and got to the site.

Never mind. When I posted this your post had not fully posted yet. When my screen refreshed I saw your completed post.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 06:51:18 PM by Ben »

Jennifer

« Reply #304 on: November 13, 2003, 06:51:55 PM »

DR Ben wrote:
I did sit through Will and Grace. Next week is a "very special" Will and Grace and what will happen was what I predicted would happen last season when the other thing happened. It's all so predictable.

I watched W&G tonight too. But have not seen that many episodes. Why is next week "special". And what did you predict would happen last season?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 06:53:29 PM by Jennifer »

Ben

« Reply #305 on: November 13, 2003, 06:53:51 PM »

No review of Taboo yet. It will probably be up after 11 and I will be in bed by then.

Ben

« Reply #306 on: November 13, 2003, 06:55:19 PM »

The teaser at the end called it a "must see" Will and Grace. I'll IM you with what I thought in case other DRs don't want to know.

Jennifer

« Reply #307 on: November 13, 2003, 06:55:42 PM »

DR Ben wrote:
Jennifer, did the link not work? I tried it and got to the site.

Never mind. When I posted this your post had not fully posted yet. When my screen refreshed I saw your completed post.

Sorry, I'm just lazy. Sometimes I find it quicker to copy whatever I want to quote in quick reply and then modify my post (since sometimes I want to copy text from more than one post on an earlier page).

Jennifer

« Reply #308 on: November 13, 2003, 06:57:32 PM »

DR Ben who is still 20 posts ahead of me wrote:
The teaser at the end called it a "must see" Will and Grace. I'll IM you with what I thought in case other DRs don't want to know.

I didn't see the preview for next week, which might explain why I have no clue what you are talking about.

Jennifer

« Reply #309 on: November 13, 2003, 06:59:30 PM »

The NY Times review of Taboo is up.  I of course am too lazy to check out  that site myself. But someone at Talkinbroadway posted the link.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/14/arts/theater/14TABO.html

Jennifer

« Reply #310 on: November 13, 2003, 07:05:04 PM »

DR Ron wrote:
François:  Do you have the Ruthie Hentshall "She Loves Me"???

I think she's rather very good as Amalia -- I'd never have known she had the range had I not heard it.

I love, love love that cd. It is one of my favorites. Ruthie is my absolute favorite musical theatre performer.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 07:05:51 PM by Jennifer »

Ben

« Reply #311 on: November 13, 2003, 07:06:04 PM »

Not surprised by the review. It actually wasn't a complete pan. Brantley had some nice things to say about the show. Still not sure I want to see it, though.

Ben

« Reply #312 on: November 13, 2003, 07:08:09 PM »

I never was much of a Boy George fan anyway. I was not part of club life in NY in the 80s (I know, it takes place in London in the 80s) and never much cared for his music.

Ben

« Reply #313 on: November 13, 2003, 07:10:36 PM »

I still love the OBC of She Loves Me w/Cook and Massey but the Roundabout production was quite good. Not a Ruthie Henshall show but a BK produced CD.

Jennifer

« Reply #314 on: November 13, 2003, 07:13:37 PM »

Okay I'm going to bed now. I'm not sure what the record is. But we must be close. All you West Coasters can pick up the slack.

Michael

« Reply #315 on: November 13, 2003, 07:16:29 PM »

Q:  Is it me or is it Martin?

Now I have seen pictires of both TD and MM are it is so hard to tell. Instead of Beatlemania TD should do

[size=9]MULLAMANIA[/size]
It's Not Martin Mull But An Incredible Simulation
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 07:19:27 PM by MDS »
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #316 on: November 13, 2003, 07:17:20 PM »

The New York Post review  of Taboo is in. Better than the times but still not a good review and he didn't like Raul which is the opposite of what most others are saying. Daily News isn't on line yet.

http://breakingnews.nypost.com/dynamic/stories/T/THEATER_TABOO?SITE=NYNYP&SECTION=ENTERTAINMENT
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 07:18:34 PM by Ben »

Emily

« Reply #317 on: November 13, 2003, 07:23:38 PM »

I'm breaking my own no post rule to give Jennifer a warning.

DO NOT GO SEE EVITA AS PUT ON BY MCGILL HILLEL!

YOU WILL BE SEVERELY DISAPPOINTED!

Raymond Zilberberg, who "happens" to be vice-president of Montreal Hillel and who "happens" to have an interest in directing "happens" to have convinced Hillel to give an outrageous amount of money each year (TOMMY last winter went to $28000) to stage a musical that his so-called production company just "happens" to want to put on.

The final result is always a really really really bad production - complete with off key male choruses, bad sound and the worst acting this side of Urban Cowboy.

I helped the lighting designer on their last project and was completely and utterly disgusted.  

It's a guy with too much power and money putting on a show that most CAMP PRODUCTIONS would best in quality.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Ben

« Reply #318 on: November 13, 2003, 07:23:44 PM »

The NY Post review link that I posted is actually not the NY Post review. It turns out it's Associated Press critic MICHAEL KUCHWARA. The Post links to his review which is also in Newsday. Sorry for the confusion. I assume Clive Barnes will review it tomorrow in the Post.

Emily

« Reply #319 on: November 13, 2003, 07:24:58 PM »

And no... I am not just bitter because Raymond Zilberberg has resources to do what he wants.

Most of the students in the English/Theatre department boycott his productions because he's that well known for bad shows.  
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Ben

« Reply #320 on: November 13, 2003, 07:25:09 PM »

Now it is time to go to bed. 10:30 (almost) and a not so pleasant day at work tomorrow.

Night all. I look forward to the record breaker tomorrow morning.

MBarnum

« Reply #321 on: November 13, 2003, 07:31:02 PM »

FROM Jane

I want Chinese food now.  We don't have a decent Chinese restaurant here.  :(

But Jane, you are only minuted from my total favorite Chinese place KIM'S!!!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #322 on: November 13, 2003, 07:33:33 PM »

Re: The Ruthie Henshall SHE LOVES ME.  I saw this show in London and liked it very much.  Partly because it was quite well performed and partly because it is one of my favourite musicals.  But one thing I did not understand.  Everyone in the musical...all British performers as far as I know used American accents.  Now the damned story takes place in Hungary...why the necessity of using American accents as opposed to their natural British accents?

Michael

« Reply #323 on: November 13, 2003, 07:42:14 PM »

and who can forget Pia Zadora in the classic children's Christmas movie

(Pia is the second child from the left)
Never stop dreaming.

Emily

« Reply #324 on: November 13, 2003, 07:52:33 PM »

Have we broken the record yet?

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #325 on: November 13, 2003, 07:58:22 PM »

It's almost time for "Friends" and "Survivor" and "Will and Grace."

I've just finished my delicious dinner -- meat loaf, mashed potatoes and Rice-A-Roni Spanish Rice and it was YUMMY!

See y'all later!

And to the person who took a karma point away from me, that's okay!  May it bestow upon you good karma and warm you on the cold days!   :D
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 08:08:22 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Laura II

« Reply #326 on: November 13, 2003, 08:01:06 PM »

DRs Danise and Emily, thank you for your kind words.

Belated good vibes to Maya! ~~~~~~~~

I loved all of the "baby" pics!

Sarah: A 1200 is pretty good! That's usually what you need to get into a decent college. The good thing is, they combine your best math and verbal scores for your final score, so if you retake the test, that could be helpful.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Andrea

« Reply #327 on: November 13, 2003, 08:02:27 PM »

I'm breaking my own no post rule to give Jennifer a warning.

DO NOT GO SEE EVITA AS PUT ON BY MCGILL HILLEL!

YOU WILL BE SEVERELY DISAPPOINTED!

But a musical is a musical and a cheap musical is better. Come now Emily, we must support Hillel so they will help me when I convert:)

Andrea

« Reply #328 on: November 13, 2003, 08:04:31 PM »

-I'm trying to get to more than a Newbie...but you guys are so far ahead of me I've forgotten that number...-

Welcome to Junior member land, dearie

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #329 on: November 13, 2003, 08:06:32 PM »

Ron...mashed potatoes AND Rice a Roni?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17   Go Up