Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: STRANGE ADVENTURES  (Read 28747 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:STRANGE ADVENTURES
« Reply #150 on: August 24, 2005, 04:59:28 PM »

But the summer after I was there, the "old" Artistic Director's karma caught up with him, and he was let go for a myriad of reasons.  It's still a crazy schedule there, but, from what I understand, there's no longer a sense of "fear" and "danger" constantly in the air.   -And that's enough of that trip down memory lane...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #151 on: August 24, 2005, 05:03:06 PM »

OH!  Page Six!!!

DANCE, DANCE REVOLUTION!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #152 on: August 24, 2005, 05:05:47 PM »

Ooohh....  And "So You Can Think You Can Dance?" just started. Fun, Fun, Fun!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #153 on: August 24, 2005, 05:07:33 PM »

Finishing out my work day in the telephone reference center - maybe I can visit here between calls!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #154 on: August 24, 2005, 05:08:15 PM »

Not to scare anyone, but I was just checking a PM on HHW and as I was browsing back and forward through my inbox and outbox, the word "Hacker?" appeared, as a question just like that. Has anyone else ever seen that? Hopefully nobody is trying to hack this site.

Way too often. ;D

Ginny

« Reply #155 on: August 24, 2005, 05:13:14 PM »

"Bufet Dinner on the Belle of Cincinnati" - a delightful excursion into Nyotaimori  - Naked Sushi. A succulant repast of fried country ham, grits, greens and red-eye gravy served on an appropriately un-adorned belle of the grand old south.

:o Gasp! Not in conservative old Cincinnati!

Speaking of Cincinnati, I don't know what the Enquirer would have printed today if the president of the University of Cincinnati had not issued an ultimatum to the basketball coach.  The story filled the better part of 3 of the 4 sections of the morning paper.  He (the coach) blinked and will step down.  She (the president) appears to be one tough cookie.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 05:25:52 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #156 on: August 24, 2005, 05:15:44 PM »

Not to scare anyone, but I was just checking a PM on HHW and as I was browsing back and forward through my inbox and outbox, the word "Hacker?" appeared, as a question just like that. Has anyone else ever seen that? Hopefully nobody is trying to hack this site.

EEKS!  This has never happened to me...so far. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #157 on: August 24, 2005, 05:25:51 PM »

I didn't think someone was hacking.  I thought I was being accused of hacking. ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #158 on: August 24, 2005, 05:27:53 PM »

I found the following at World Wide Words:

According to Robert Hendrickson, in The Facts on File Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins, the first reference is from a British ballad of 1870, which contained the line “Whatever I tell you is on the QT”. It seems to have been just an abbreviated spelling, using the first and last letters of the word quiet, the mild obfuscation also suggesting a meaning for the expression.

Same source gives the following verse for the song "Ta-Rah-Rah-Boom-Di-Yay:

A sweet Tuxedo girl you see,
Queen of swell society,
Fond of fun as fun can be,
When it's on the strict Q.T.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #159 on: August 24, 2005, 06:04:09 PM »

Hi folks.

Sorry but we had a bad rain storm.  I signed on the computer, answered about 2 emails and had to sign right back off again.  Now it’s almost bed time.  Oh well.

I jus quickly scanned some of the posts.

Saw the one about ghosts.  I’ll swear to my dying day that I saw an Almost in this here very house shortly after we moved in.

I was sitting and reading a book when I saw a man, old fashion clothes, beard, blue eyes, tall watching me from the door frame between the kitchen and the living room.  When I turned my full attention to him, he was gone.  Of course, if it was an Almost, that’s a good thing because as the tale goes if you ever confront one face to face, you’ll die.  :o

In other interesting news, I had someone down at work tell me she had a dream about me.  She said I was at Burlington Coat Factory, trying on trench coats with many pockets.  She said that I wanted as many pockets as possible so I would have a place for a flash light, an umbrella and a dozen other things that I wanted to carry with me.  The odd part is that it sounds just like me.  I am a scout, prepared for everything.

When I pack for NYC I will have a flashlight and an umbrella so she called it true.  I’ve taken them on every trip.  :)

To bad she couldn’t have dreamed that win the lotto tonight.  It’s up to 35 million.  Ahh well.   :-\
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #160 on: August 24, 2005, 06:27:41 PM »

I've never seen a ghost, but my dad said that he experienced one.  He used to be the night manager at a local restaurant that no longer exists.  Strange things would happen when he was there alone.  One night, there was some water in a sink that had the stopper in.  Bubbles were coming up out of the bottom of the sink and they spelled out the name "Glen." :o Spooooky!  He said that he'd say "hi" to Glen all the time after that, since he knew the ghost's name.  My dad never did find out if anything had ever happened in that building to anyone named Glen before he worked there.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #161 on: August 24, 2005, 07:43:55 PM »

Ooohhh...  Ghost stories...

Olney Theatre in Olney, MD - The cast house has a ghost or two.  Or maybe even three...  A frequent sighting is of a mother and daughter (probably around eight years old).  They are usually seen sitting at the piano.  And sometimes one can hear the mother playing.

In the old theatre - they just got a new theatre - there is a very present presence.  I've experienced it a few times.  It's actually a friendly feeling - still kind of spooky and creepy - but friendly.  And it actually feels like a group of people, in fact, you feel "it" the most at that back of the house along the back row of seats.  And it's literally something you feel as soon as they turn the house lights out, and they put the ghost light out on stage.

*And I was always thankful that I never got housed in the rooms "behind" the theatre.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #162 on: August 24, 2005, 07:51:51 PM »

Ghost Story #2...

When I worked at Circa '21 Dinner Theatre in Rock Island, IL, there was a ghost in that cast house too.  Most of the time he appeared to people in a window.  My friend, Kelly, saw him a couple of times.  She would be looking out the living room window, and he would be outside looking back in, standing in the yard under the tree.  Five or six years old, dressed in a suit, blond hair.  She thinks he was/is Amish or Quaker from the way he dressed.  She was scared the first few times she saw him, but after a while she would try to keep his attention and talk to him.

And I would sometimes feel "something" walking through the second floor hallway on the way up to my room.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #163 on: August 24, 2005, 07:53:51 PM »

And, of course, there's Lincoln's ghost at Ford's Theatre.

:o
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #164 on: August 24, 2005, 07:59:18 PM »

...And at the Omni Shoreham in DC, there is one room that is "famously" haunted.  In fact, there was a news story done on it a few years ago on the local news.  Apparently, even the Omni puts it last on their reservations list.
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #165 on: August 24, 2005, 08:02:17 PM »

An eerie coincidence:
It is said that Ford's ghost wanders Lincoln Center!

Of course, Ford is still alive, I believe, so this is quite doubtful.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: August 24, 2005, 08:08:13 PM »

A lot of the houses at Goodspeed are haunted.  The place I stayed in last year and 1999 has a ghost, which I saw walk across the hall.  Harvey Schmidt's room on the second floor had a locked door that led to a small storage space right above the front door.  Harvey swore there were nights the door knob turned.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #167 on: August 24, 2005, 08:09:58 PM »

Just finished a wonderful interview with actress Edith Fellows, whose movie career goes all the way back to the silent days! What a fun lady! She had me in stitches during much of the interview, she is so funny!

Some of you may recall that she appeared in handful of the early Our Gang/Little Rascals short subjects, and she starred with Bing Crosby in BKs favorite 1930 film PENNIES FROM HEAVEN as well as with W.C. Fields in MRS WIGGS OF CABBAGE PATCH.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: August 24, 2005, 08:12:25 PM »

An eerie coincidence:
It is said that Ford's ghost wanders Lincoln Center!

Of course, Ford is still alive, I believe, so this is quite doubtful.

I'm sure there's something about it in an old PLAYBILL.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #169 on: August 24, 2005, 08:16:40 PM »

Another delightful edition of VERONICA MARS.

I also think I've solved the mystery of the killer of her best friend. I suspect there are a few more episodes before the season finale comes around again, but I stayed away from spoilers well enough to not have heard the identity of the murderer. Looking forward to getting to the end to see if I'm right.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #170 on: August 24, 2005, 08:18:31 PM »

I've never come across that "hacker" message either. I'd be VERY upset if I did.

Matt H.

« Reply #171 on: August 24, 2005, 08:24:40 PM »

I also watched CSI: NY tonight. I didn't watch it during the regular season (watched LAW & ORDER when I was home and DVRed it when I wasn't), so I'm catching up with it now.

I think I can see why it's the least popular of the CSI shows. The cases are as interesting as on the other two. But the actors they have in all the primary roles, excellent as they are, have that New York bluntness and assertive attitude which can be off-putting toviewers who are non-confrontational types.

The CSIs on the other two shows shroud their expertise in politeness, a crisp rather than caustic stance about their work. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that the more aggressive officers on CSI:NY are not easy to warm to.

Matt H.

« Reply #172 on: August 24, 2005, 08:29:28 PM »

Got my friend Jeff's furniture moved. He was right; it wasn't heavy, just bulky and nearly impossible to move through the house with only one pair of hands.

He has done wonderful things thus far with arranging the new condo and planning for more changes with new paint, mirrors, and decorating touches.

I really envy his taste and style. I somehow missed that taste gene when they were giving them out at gay school.

Matt H.

« Reply #173 on: August 24, 2005, 08:33:34 PM »

Right now, I'm burning a DVD of FLAMINGO ROAD recorded on the DVR off TCM the other day. I haven't read any indication from Warner that they're planning any more Joan Crawford releases any time soon, so I'm keeping my eyes out of GOODBYE MY FANCY, THIS WOMAN IS DANGEROUS, and FEMALE ON THE BEACH to add to my Joan DVD collection.

Cillaliz

« Reply #174 on: August 24, 2005, 09:10:04 PM »

Ghost Story #2...

When I worked at Circa '21 Dinner Theatre in Rock Island, IL,

Jose, when did you work at Circa? Did you ever meet Susan, Oh, I can't think of her married name,  her maiden name is Lundy. She plays the piano. She played there for a long time

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #175 on: August 24, 2005, 09:11:40 PM »

Great Caesar's Ghost.

I remember writing fondly of Miss Fellows after I'd seen the DVD of Pennies from Heaven, and getting a nice note from someone who knew her.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: August 24, 2005, 09:12:32 PM »

I've just been lying on the couch like so much fish, and also laying on the couch like so much fish - soooo tired - hopefully tonight I shall get a nice beauty sleep.

Jennifer

« Reply #177 on: August 24, 2005, 09:18:02 PM »

DR MattH, re: veronica mars, which episode # did you get? I think i have like 6 episodes left.  but so far i have no clues to the killer. I didn't even realize that this would be resolved this season.  Do you know it is resolved or is it just your guess?

We get 2 more episodes this week (tomorrow and sunday).

Matt H.

« Reply #178 on: August 24, 2005, 09:33:42 PM »

DR MattH, re: veronica mars, which episode # did you get? I think i have like 6 episodes left.  but so far i have no clues to the killer. I didn't even realize that this would be resolved this season.  Do you know it is resolved or is it just your guess?

We get 2 more episodes this week (tomorrow and sunday).

It is definitely resolved in the season finale. We find out the killer's identity then. I really have no clue which episode this was tonight. It was the one with Veronica discovering the dog kidnapping ring.

Matt H.

« Reply #179 on: August 24, 2005, 09:34:30 PM »

I must now go check on my DVD and then toddle off to bed.

Good night, everyone.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up