Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BERRIES  (Read 91602 times)

TPunk

• Crapballs!
Re:THE BERRIES
« Reply #180 on: September 06, 2005, 03:57:07 PM »

SPECIAL NOTICE!

(For Larry and Vixmom)der Brucer (bad mouth Lion King and see what you get!)
Rush Limbaugh at the New Am?? Thank God (or whatever higher power you call upon) that I don't work there anymore!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #181 on: September 06, 2005, 04:07:52 PM »

I don't mind Sondheim either... what I do mind is those that come in with Sondheim and DON'T KNOW their music.  So you're busy trying to play the music and to follow the singer.  

DR Jose - I love that line "It's your audition, not mine" priceless, I must use it sometime!

Well... This will all be in my book eventually, so...

My "tradition" at the SETC and UPTA briefings is to start off with that piece of advice/warning/reminder plus a little bit of "levity" (I hope):

"Good Morning!  Welcome!  As I say at all these auditions, please remember...

It's Your Audition, Not Mine!

I have work (point to myself), and ... (points to the crowd of auditionees)."

-And there's usually some laughter after that.

Then I go into what I need from them: cue lines written out, a good copy of their music, etc.; and what I am more than happy to give them: cue notes, first couple notes of the melody, etc.

"I will not let you go up on that stage until I know what you need from me."

And I make sure to stress that I really do like playing auditions, and that I like singers and actors.  -Which I really do.

"Now be brilliant!"
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #182 on: September 06, 2005, 04:12:00 PM »

Rush Limbaugh at the New Am?? Thank God (or whatever higher power you call upon) that I don't work there anymore!

I haven't looked for any more "news" on this, but I do have to wonder if he really is going to takeover the New Amsterdam on a show night... For which tickets have probably already been sold.  Is Disney - regardless of their association with ABC - really going to cancel a performance of The Lion King?  And refund a bunch of tickets?  Why not put Rush on Monday night just like all those other special events?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #183 on: September 06, 2005, 04:18:18 PM »

Hmm...

Well, I just checked out TicketMaster and, sure enough, there is Rush Limbaugh at the New Amsterdam on October 18.

Couldn't Disney just have donated the proceeds from that performance of The Lion King to the Hurricane Relief Fund.  I mean, Rush is only charging $75, and tickets to The Lion King top out at $100.

;)

And now I'm just trying to think of the crowd in the New Amsterdam... and outside the New Amsterdam that night.  Truly mind-boggling.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #184 on: September 06, 2005, 04:21:06 PM »

Hmm... I smell hamburgers...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #185 on: September 06, 2005, 04:27:15 PM »

Hmm...

Well, I just checked out TicketMaster and, sure enough, there is Rush Limbaugh at the New Amsterdam on October 18.

Couldn't Disney just have donated the proceeds from that performance of The Lion King to the Hurricane Relief Fund.  I mean, Rush is only charging $75, and tickets to The Lion King top out at $100.

;)

And now I'm just trying to think of the crowd in the New Amsterdam... and outside the New Amsterdam that night.  Truly mind-boggling.

Well, that would be the logical thing to do...

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #186 on: September 06, 2005, 04:29:12 PM »

Today was my first day back at school- and my first day attending as a full time student during the day and not after putting in 8-9 hours at work... what a difference it makes.

My professors all seem to be very much on the ball.  I think one of them is going to be especially engaging which will make for a fun class.  The bad news is that my books total just over $400. :(

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #187 on: September 06, 2005, 04:48:25 PM »

TOD: Books
The entire Dark Tower series by Stephen King
The entire Harry Potter series
Fried Green Tomatoes by Fannie Flagg
The Stand by Stephen King
The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #188 on: September 06, 2005, 04:59:54 PM »

I'm hungry, can someone email me a cheeseburger?  And please make it low fat.

Tomovoz

« Reply #189 on: September 06, 2005, 05:06:35 PM »

TOTD (Cds)
The McGlinn "Showboat"
Paul Simon anthology
Brahms Violin concerto Op 77 (Nigel Kennedy)
Ella Songbooks - the Love songs compilation
The Stephen Schwartz Album (Mr Kimmel's)

Movies:
Death In Venice
2001 a Space Odyssey
The Legend of 1900
Lawrence Of Arabia
Lord Of the Rings (Trilogy)

Books:
Cloud Street - Tim Winton
Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
Tales Of the City (the set) - Maupin
The Chamomile Lawn
Cannery Row - Steinbeck
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #190 on: September 06, 2005, 05:11:10 PM »

What a day this has been... All I can say is it's the first day of school and every teacher in the country has decided to call today. Oy! And now to hear that Gilligan has died...

DR Ben: I've been dating myself for years. Oh, wait...I think you meant something el...nevermind.

DAMN YOU, Jason!  You are stealing my lines!!!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: September 06, 2005, 05:11:49 PM »

I would never bring Jason Robert Brown to an audition.  Then again, I would never bring Jason Robert Brown anywhere.

AOL is being slower and more retarded than I've ever seen it, and I think you all know just how slow and retarded that is.  I'm on safari now and everything is speeeedy, so we know it's AOL.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #192 on: September 06, 2005, 05:21:06 PM »

CD's I would bring:
Elegies
The Last Five Years (sorry BK)
Mirrorball- Sarah McLachlan
Return to Saturn- No Doubt
Tapestry- Carole King

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #193 on: September 06, 2005, 05:21:56 PM »

...My dad LOVES Tony Bennett.  He even performed here in Olympia a couple of years ago.  My sister and I got tickets for our parents and my dad was in heaven!
Oh, so sorry to hear about...no, wait...you didn't mean that literally, did you?

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #194 on: September 06, 2005, 05:24:00 PM »

DVD's:
Who's That Girl
The Last Unicorn
Alias (all seasons)
Dirty Dancing
Steel Magnolias

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #195 on: September 06, 2005, 05:27:50 PM »

...(Maybe we can fill-up Woody's lap again)
Another suggestive comment!

I'm sweet and innocent, I swear!!!

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #196 on: September 06, 2005, 05:30:39 PM »

According to one article I read (it might be the same everywhere):

"Denver's wife, Dreama, and his children Patrick, Megan, Emily and Colin were with him when he died."

"He was my everything and I will love him forever," Dreama Denver said in a statement.

Sounds like a good family life. :)

During the late 70s, we had the Bob Denver Dinner Theater here in Tacoma.  I was asked to audition there, and I also had a chance to get to know Mr. Denver and his lovely wife, Dreama.  Whenever Bob and Dreama were appearing in one of the productions, they would always, without fail, go immediately out to the lobby following the final curtain call and sign autographs and chat with every person that attended the show.  No matter how tired they might be, they never left the lobby till everyone had had their time with them.  It was very sweet to watch.  They were both as kind and down-to-earth as you could have wanted them to be.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #197 on: September 06, 2005, 05:40:15 PM »

I shall now be on my way to Musso and Frank to sup with my pal Sophie.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #198 on: September 06, 2005, 05:48:21 PM »

TOD:

DVDs:
The Great Race
The Right Stuff
The Adventures of Robin Hood
The Music Man
Yellow Submarine

CDs:
Rebecca Luker: Anything Goes (an Elmore reference!) (and someone else, too!)
Mike Oldfield: Amarok
Copland: Third Symphony
OCR: Sunday in the Park with George
OCR: Floyd Collins

I'm really not sure on books.  Assuming we can actually play the CRs and DVDs, does that mean I can also assume I've a fully stocked and equipped kitchen, as well?

That being the case,
BOOKS:
Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook
James Peterson's Glorious French Cooking
The Joy of Cooking
Rick Bayless' Mexican Kitchen
and I'm certain there's a very good resource on Chinese cooking out there, I just haven't found it yet!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 05:49:22 PM by S. Woody White »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #199 on: September 06, 2005, 05:49:46 PM »

TCB and I are both in rehearsals for Charley's Aunt, opening this Friday.

It was very nice of son, Jed, to include me in his post about CHARLEY'S AUNT.  However, this is really more Jed's show than mine.  Jed is playing Jack, and he is quite delightful to watch (hint hint, Mr. Barnum).  I am playing the role of Spettigue, and I am only doing that for the first three weeks of the run.  After that, I am abandoning ship to go and play Col. Pickering in MY FAIR LADY.

As for the rest of the cast and crew of AUNT, let me just say that Jed seems to be enjoying them far more than I am.
“One thing’s universal,

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #200 on: September 06, 2005, 05:53:38 PM »

DUH!  Dr Tom... I actually have a video of SB in "Song and Dance" complete with some sort of Asian subtitles.  I always forget I have that, I can easily make a CD from that.  But if it doesn't work, DR jose, you'll be hearing from me!

FJL

« Reply #201 on: September 06, 2005, 06:03:55 PM »

I can't make up my mind on the topic of the day, but the subject "The Berries" bring to mind that Skip brought home chocolate covered blueberries from Costco last time he went.  So I think I'd like to have five bags of Costco chocolate covered blueberries with me.  It's fruit, so it's got to be good for you.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #202 on: September 06, 2005, 06:05:14 PM »

Topic of the Day:

Movies:
Auntie Mame
The Lord of the Rings trilogy (all the extended versions)
Singing In The Rain

CDs:
The Complete Works of The Manhattan Transfer (including all of the members’ solo works...yet to be released ;))
The Complete Works of Stephen Sondheim (also yet to be released)

Books:
The Complete William Shakespeare
The Benjamin Kritzer Trilogy
The Complete Stephen King (also yet to be released)

That's all that I can think of right now.  Off to dinner at my sister's!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

FJL

« Reply #203 on: September 06, 2005, 06:11:00 PM »

Speaking of Tony Bennett, I had a Tony Bennett encounter:  I was at The Liza Minnelli Christmas Spectacular (the ticket actually said "David Gest present Liza Minnelli's Christmas Spectacular") and the Town Hall lobby was extremely crowded.  I was standing in a small group (with three other people, I wasn't actually a small group unto myself) and someone practically shoved me aside and I pretty much lost my balance.  I looked around to get a look at the "jerk" and it turned out to be Tony Bennett.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #204 on: September 06, 2005, 06:19:46 PM »

Good Evening!

The hamburgers were yummy!  And we had Moose Tracks Ice Cream for dessert!

-Joel and John are really great hosts.  I could get used to this.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #205 on: September 06, 2005, 06:21:16 PM »

...And now I'm watching my very first episode of "Big Brother". Hmm... At least Howie is walking around without his shirt on.

;)

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #206 on: September 06, 2005, 06:23:41 PM »

Those CD samplers that so many shows are sending now - The psychology of why they started being sent out was given a strange explanation at a TDF seminar I went to on producing for the theater.  The story went that back when they first started sending them in smaller quantities, one of the press reps explained, they found that a reasonable percentage of the people who got them felt as if they were "getting  a gift" of some sort and felt obligated to at least play it rather than just toss it as they would a plain old discount flyer.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #207 on: September 06, 2005, 06:26:25 PM »

CDs:
Rebecca Luker: Anything Goes (an Elmore reference!) (and someone else, too!)

DRSWoodyWhite, I'm flattered tobe part of a desert island disc.  I think this is a first!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 06:26:52 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #208 on: September 06, 2005, 06:53:45 PM »

Those CD samplers that so many shows are sending now - The psychology of why they started being sent out was given a strange explanation at a TDF seminar I went to on producing for the theater.  The story went that back when they first started sending them in smaller quantities, one of the press reps explained, they found that a reasonable percentage of the people who got them felt as if they were "getting  a gift" of some sort and felt obligated to at least play it rather than just toss it as they would a plain old discount flyer.  

...And I guess that goes hand in hand with the reasoning that if you send something (promo material for a show) in an envelope rather than just a postcard, it may take longer to reach the trash since people like opening up things, it's like "getting a gift".
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #209 on: September 06, 2005, 07:07:56 PM »

I got my autographed copy of Stages today!! Yeah! I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but am really glad to have it.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up