Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BLANK PAGE  (Read 78008 times)

Jason

Re:THE BLANK PAGE
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2005, 09:27:01 AM »

How 'do on this GORGEOUS afternoon?

I don't really have much to report. Things are crazy busy at work. That's about it.

"Lost" is, indeed, a great show. I can't wait til I can actually afford to get it on DVD.

TOD: Someone once said, and I've adopted it as my personal political creed, that opinions are like (butt)holes. Everyone has one and most of them stink. Therefore, I will keep my opinions to myself.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2005, 09:31:04 AM »

I can give you my thoughts on it right now. The 1962 version is one of my all time favorite films, and my favorite verision of the Phantom story! I love the music and the actors. The British Hammer films were not particular favorites of mine, as compared to the Universal horror films, but this title, and a handful of others I very much enjoy...this collection happens to have some of those favorites (Evil of Frankenstien, Nightmare, Kiss of the Vampire, etc).

Thanks. Let us know if the DVD does the film proud or if it doesn't measure up.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2005, 09:33:32 AM »

I really am excited about getting to see RED GARTERS again after all these decades. Keeping my fingers crossed that I won't be disappointed.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2005, 09:37:06 AM »

You've just GOT to read this "National Geographic" piece...written ONE YEAR AGO.  It's eerily prophetic, and puts to rest any "story" anyone might tell you about whether FEMA realized a problem existed in New Orleans before Katrina hit.

http://www3.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0410/feature5/
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 09:37:19 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2005, 09:39:19 AM »

And...whoops....here's another little article, written in June, about the Bush Administration's lack of anything more than "lip service" on the issue of coastal erosion, etc.

http://www.americaswetland.com/article.cfm?id=241&cateid=2&pageid=3&cid=16
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 09:40:24 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2005, 09:42:20 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.

I had no idea that the bad-buzz In My Life is Joe Brooks.  Now I understand why the CD was sent out, and I hope someone learns a lesson from it - it's going to kill the show, basically, although, given Mr. Brooks' theatrical track record (Metropolis), whether it has a chance is anyone's guess.  Mr. Brooks, who is a nice sort (and one of the original investors in The First Nudie Musical), has a very large ego, with a capital E.  And yes, other than his 70s commercial jingles, You Light Up My Life has been it for him.  He made, I believe, two films after it, both of which were huge disasters.  And, I think I've told the story before, but when we were doing Nudie, Mr. Brooks was dating Cindy W. and their relationship was a bit volatile, and he didn't think he'd be able to direct her in his new movie, which she'd agreed to star in - You Light Up My Life.  So, he asked if I'd direct it.  Then they broke up.  That was that.  He did end up using Stephen Nathan from our film.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2005, 09:46:53 AM »

I'm enjoying all the posts thus far on our little topic of the day.  The topic wasn't meant to be a Republican vs. Democrat issue - it was meant to be, what's the worst that's wrong with this country, and how would you fix it.  

I have my own feelings on certain issues and I know how they can be fixed swiftly and quickly, with the only kind of revolt that would make sense today.  Unfortunately, there are too many sheep in this country who would never do it, but if ten million people could band together and simply not pay their income tax until certain issues were addressed, let me tell you how fast things would change.  Certainly they're not going to toss ten million people in jail.  My little bugaboo is the IRS - which I would simply abolish in its present form.  People work hard for their dough, and, at the end of the day, they take home sixty percent of what they make.  And the goverment wastes most of that money on ineffectual programs.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: September 07, 2005, 09:59:28 AM »

I have my own feelings on certain issues and I know how they can be fixed swiftly and quickly, with the only kind of revolt that would make sense today.  Unfortunately, there are too many sheep in this country who would never do it, but if ten million people could band together and simply not pay their income tax until certain issues were addressed, let me tell you how fast things would change.  Certainly they're not going to toss ten million people in jail.  My little bugaboo is the IRS - which I would simply abolish in its present form.  People work hard for their dough, and, at the end of the day, they take home sixty percent of what they make.  And the goverment wastes most of that money on ineffectual programs.

Or needless and inhumane mythical wars on terror.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #98 on: September 07, 2005, 10:02:05 AM »

Birthday greetings to DR WEL!

You share this day with our DS Rob, who turns 20 today.  Yesterday he became an officially licensed Ohio driver - passed his road test, in my new Vibe, on his first try.

We are celebrating today by going for an early dinner at Montgomery Inn and then to Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park to see A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.  Here's the personnel list for the production - anyone I should know?

Cast:
Nat Chandler - Miles Gloriosus
Lynn Eldredge - Domina
Jared Gertner - Protean
Karen Hyland - Geminae
Keith Jochim - Marcus Lycus
Lynette Knapp - Philia
Bryan Lefeber - Protean
Jaclyn Minerva - Tintinabula
Hayley Nelson - Geminae
Whit Reichert - Erronius
Dominic Roberts - Protean
Erika Lynn Rominger - Gymnasia
Carol Schuberg - Vibrata
John Seidman - Senex
Jeff Skowron - Hysterium
Eric Ulloa  - Hero
Bob Walton - Pseudolus

Production Team:
Edward Stern - Director
Janet Watson - Choreographer
Darren R. Cohen - Music Director
John Ezell - Set Designer
David Kay Mickelsen - Costume Designer
Peter E. Sargent - Lighting Designer
Chuck Hatcher - Sound Designer
Jenifer Morrow - First Stage Manager
Bruce E. Coyle - Second Stage Manager
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #99 on: September 07, 2005, 10:05:18 AM »

Not that I'm counting or anything, but four weeks from today is the big walking/eating tour of NYC with DR Jose!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2005, 10:07:17 AM »

Not that I'm counting or anything, but four weeks from today is the big walking/eating tour of NYC with DR Jose!

I am getting hungry already!

Ben

« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2005, 10:10:43 AM »

Jose, October 5th, the day of the big walk is also a Union Square Greenmarket Day, something to consider when the gang moves up from downtown to Chelsea/Flatiron/The Village. It's from 6am to 6pm and they sell all sorts of great things. By October there won't be all the fruit we have now but there will be apples, baked goods, lots of veggies and other good stuff. The Market is also just a block away from my office (you know where Union Square is but the others probably don't) so you can stop by and say hello. I'll let you all use your cell phones to call me. That's a good reason to use one (a cell phone, that is)  :D

Jennifer

« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2005, 10:10:51 AM »

re: laughing at Janelle's comments in the Diary room.

I laughed! I felt bad for laughing, but I did! LOL1

And Howie's Jedi act cracks me up as well!

I laughed so hard.  I think part of the reason it was funny was because of how she said it.  It really was the funniest thing I'd heard in ages.

I also thought Howie was funny. And laughed when him and janelle had that fight with the light sabers! :)

Ginny

« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2005, 10:13:52 AM »

Jose, October 5th, the day of the big walk is also a Union Square Greenmarket Day, something to consider when the gang moves up from downtown to Chelsea/Flatiron/The Village. It's from 6am to 6pm and they sell all sorts of great things. By October there won't be all the fruit we have now but there will be apples, baked goods, lots of veggies and other good stuff. The Market is also just a block away from my office (you know where Union Square is but the others probably don't) so you can stop by and say hello. I'll let you all use your cell phones to call me. That's a good reason to use one (a cell phone, that is)  :D

Ben, DR elmore and I had a lovely walk through the Union Square market last October when I was there for Network Days at your workplace.  Thanks for reminding us about it - I also liked the Barnes & Noble store at Union Square.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2005, 10:20:15 AM »

We are celebrating today by going for an early dinner at Montgomery Inn and then to Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park to see A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.  Here's the personnel list for the production - anyone I should know?

Cast:
Nat Chandler - Miles Gloriosus

Janet Watson - Choreographer

Well, since you asked.  I haven't seen Nat Chandler in years.  He's a former boyfriend of Jason Graae's, and he and Jason were in my first showcase, TALES OF TINSELTOWN.  Janet Watson in 1999, when I had surgery on my cervical discs, told the hospital she was my sister to get into the recovery room.  Her husband Tom Jones wrote THE FANTASTICKS.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2005, 10:26:40 AM »

Oh, please, please, don't abolish the IRS, for my sake.   :)   Just make the tax laws more reasonable.  If I don't have tax law, I might have to switch to real law.  And there were so many moral qualms for me when I practiced real adversarial law that i don't think I'd want to go back.

FJL

« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2005, 10:31:01 AM »

BTW, my father is 85 years old today.  I'm going to my brotehr and sister-in-law's hosue in New Jersey tonight to celebrate, celebrating very simply because Dad didn't want any fuss made over him.   I asked him what he wanted for his birthday, and he said pick out something that I can use myself, because whatever I buy for him, he's going to give right back to me anyway.  So I'm stuck with the quandry of what to buy myself for my father's birthday.

Ginny

« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2005, 10:31:59 AM »

Well, since you asked.  I haven't seen Nat Chandler in years.  He's a former boyfriend of Jason Graae's, and he and Jason were in my first showcase, TALES OF TINSELTOWN.  Janet Watson in 1999, when I had surgery on my cervical discs, told the hospital she was my sister to get into the recovery room.  Her husband Tom Jones wrote THE FANTASTICKS.

DR elmore - thanks for the insights.  BTW, not long ago we were in a megabookstore and I was browsing the Musicals section of CD's.  There were a couple of teenagers there (a guy and a girl he was obviously trying to impress).  He pulled out a copy of The Fantasticks and gushed about how he couldn't believe that it was written by Tom Jones, the "What's New Pussycat" guy!

Ginny

« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2005, 10:34:25 AM »

Happy 85th birthday to the father of DR FJL!  Buy yourself something nice, FJL  ;)

FJL

« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2005, 10:38:25 AM »

Speaking of "What's New Pussycat" - is there anyone else in the world besides me that didn't think the rendition of that number in the Broadway show LOOK OF LOVE was that bad.  The show in general was just not particularly good, but I sort of enjoyed watching the choreographer really push the envelope on that number.  It was vulgar, but vulgar in a very winning sort of way.  

FJL

« Reply #110 on: September 07, 2005, 10:41:19 AM »

Thank you, DR Ginny.  

Maybe I'll take a clue from your avatar and get him (I mean me) a gift certificate for a book store.  

Ginny

« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2005, 10:46:13 AM »

Maybe I'll take a clue from your avatar and get him (I mean me) a gift certificate for a book store.  

Always a good choice - he'll (I mean you'll) enjoy that  ;)

DR vixmom - I was glad to hear that the first day of 7th grade went well for your daughter.  I remember that was a pretty traumatic transistion for our son, but for him it involved a "new" building.  It's actually an old building, the one where DR elmore, my DH Richard, and his parents attended high school.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2005, 11:14:18 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Greetings from Fairfax!

A very nice drive back up 95.  A little bit of traffic at the Springfield Mixing Bowl, but just a little.

Before leaving Richmond, I went ahead and dropped by my alma mater to say HI to some of my old profs.  And, lo and behold, I seemed to catch everyone while they were between classes.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #113 on: September 07, 2005, 11:16:11 AM »

Well, I need to return a bunch of phone calls and get my Amtrak ticket back up to NYC lined up too, so...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #114 on: September 07, 2005, 11:18:41 AM »

Speaking of "What's New Pussycat" - is there anyone else in the world besides me that didn't think the rendition of that number in the Broadway show LOOK OF LOVE was that bad.  The show in general was just not particularly good, but I sort of enjoyed watching the choreographer really push the envelope on that number.  It was vulgar, but vulgar in a very winning sort of way.  

It couldn't possibly compare to the treatment BK gave it for our Bacharach revue here.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #115 on: September 07, 2005, 11:29:23 AM »

Happy 85th birthday to FLJ's dad!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #116 on: September 07, 2005, 11:30:37 AM »

DR elmore - thanks for the insights.  BTW, not long ago we were in a megabookstore and I was browsing the Musicals section of CD's.  There were a couple of teenagers there (a guy and a girl he was obviously trying to impress).  He pulled out a copy of The Fantasticks and gushed about how he couldn't believe that it was written by Tom Jones, the "What's New Pussycat" guy!

:D  Wasn't there a movie about him too?

vixmom

« Reply #117 on: September 07, 2005, 11:33:16 AM »

DR vixmom - I was glad to hear that the first day of 7th grade went well for your daughter.  I remember that was a pretty traumatic transistion for our son, but for him it involved a "new" building.  It's actually an old building, the one where DR elmore, my DH Richard, and his parents attended high school.

She went through that transistion last year. (what a nightmare!)  The "middle school" is grades 6 - 8  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: September 07, 2005, 11:41:00 AM »

I've been having a telephonic conversation with another writer for the last two count them two hours.  She wanted to pick my brain and now my brain has been properly picked.  I must now go box up a few CDs.

Jennifer

« Reply #119 on: September 07, 2005, 11:46:02 AM »

For Big Brother fans, another America's Choice:

THE ULTIMATE FALL PREMIERE CROSSOVER!

"BIG BROTHER 6" MEETS "TWO AND A HALF MEN"

TWO AND A HALF MINUTES OF "TWO AND A HALF MEN" TO BE FEATURED ON HIT REALITY SHOW AS VIEWERS ARE GIVEN A THIRD CHANCE TO CAST THEIR VOTE FOR THEIR FAVORITE BIG BROTHER CONTESTANT

CBS Reality Series to Offer a Third America's Choice Vote Through CBS.com and Text Messaging via Mobile Phones

Los Angeles -- For the third time this season, BIG BROTHER 6 will put the power back into the hands of the viewers on Thursday, Sept. 8 (8:00-9:00 PM, live ET, delayed PT) when host Julie Chen announces a third America's Choice vote on the reality series.

In the ultimate fall premiere promotional crossover, BIG BROTHER 6 houseguests and viewers will get the chance to cast their ballot for their favorite remaining Houseguest to leave the Big Brother house and spend the day on the set of the hit comedy series TWO AND A HALF MEN. Viewers can vote on CBS.com or via text messaging on their mobile phones. Votes will be tabulated during a specified time window following the episode's broadcast. CBS will offer the text messaging option as well as downloadable wireless applications relating to BIG BROTHER 6, through a partnership with GoldPocket Wireless.

TWO AND A HALF MEN, currently the Number One comedy on television, is about men, women, sex, dating, divorce, mothers, single parenthood, sibling relations, surrogate families, money and, most importantly, love. More specifically, it's about the lives of two brothers, one brother's son, and the many women who surround them. Charlie Harper (Charlie Sheen) is a well-to-do bachelor with a house at the beach, a Mercedes in the garage and an easy way with women. His casual Malibu lifestyle is interrupted when his tightly wound brother, Alan (Jon Cryer), and Alan's son, Jake (Angus T. Jones), come to stay with him. TWO AND A HALF MEN will have its third season premiere on Monday, September 19 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

As part of the TWO AND A HALF MEN set visit, the America's Choice winner will be whisked out of the Big Brother House and taken via limo to meet Charlie Sheen, Jon Cryer, Angus T. Jones and the rest of the cast and watch a taping of the show. Following the taping, the houseguest will return to the Big Brother house and rejoin fellow contestants.

During the Saturday, September 10 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) broadcast of BIG BROTHER 6, voters will be informed of the outcome and watch a special broadcast of two and a half minutes of TWO AND A HALF MEN, as well as a recap of the winner's visit to the set.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up