Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BLANK PAGE  (Read 77980 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE BLANK PAGE
« Reply #120 on: September 07, 2005, 11:51:44 AM »

Any thoughts on the season finale of RENO 911!, DR George? I haven't watched it yet. I opted to watch RESCUE ME live last night and let the DVR catch RENO 911! I should get to it sometime today.

I did watch it, but I didn't pay as much attention as I should have.  It didn't seem to be as funny as other episodes (but don't let that stop you from watching it ;)).  I want to watch it again and not let myself be distracted.  And I didn't realize until I was watching it that it was the season finale.  I hope the DVDs come out soon!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #121 on: September 07, 2005, 11:53:06 AM »

Page Five Dance:  The Clump!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #122 on: September 07, 2005, 12:00:27 PM »

TOD - I've been giving this a lot of thought today and my answer would be to reduce the amount of polarization in our society and rediscover the arts of compromise and tolerance.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #123 on: September 07, 2005, 12:13:37 PM »

Good Afternoon!

STOP THE MADNESS!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #124 on: September 07, 2005, 12:14:17 PM »

OK - Feeling much better now.  Just had to get that out my system.

-And the "madness" has nothing to do with today's Topic of the Day.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #125 on: September 07, 2005, 12:15:08 PM »

TOD: Someone once said, and I've adopted it as my personal political creed, that opinions are like (butt)holes. Everyone has one and most of them stink. Therefore, I will keep my opinions to myself.

ROTFLMAO!! ;D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #126 on: September 07, 2005, 12:18:59 PM »

..But it does have to do with theatre companies and directors hiring musical directors and assistant musical directors who can't play piano (as well as they said/thought they could).  I just had two more calls today, and that makes at least six offers in the past two weeks.  Whaddup widdat?!?!?

Mind you, I'm not really complaining, but "it" seems to be going around right now.  So, just a "warning" to DRs FJL, elmore, etc. - I may be contacting you for names of other pianists and musical director types to cover work that I can't cover right now.

But for now...  I'm just waiting on the return phone calls, if you get my drift.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #127 on: September 07, 2005, 12:29:31 PM »

..But it does have to do with theatre companies and directors hiring musical directors and assistant musical directors who can't play piano (as well as they said/thought they could).  I just had two more calls today, and that makes at least six offers in the past two weeks.  Whaddup widdat?!?!?

Mind you, I'm not really complaining, but "it" seems to be going around right now.

DR Jose - "It" seems to be going around in my field, too.  I see a lot of so-called managers who have no idea what to look for when they're hiring.  They make bad choices, then wonder why things seem to be falling apart all around them.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #128 on: September 07, 2005, 12:33:03 PM »

DR Jose - "It" seems to be going around in my field, too.  I see a lot of so-called managers who have no idea what to look for when they're hiring.  They make bad choices, then wonder why things seem to be falling apart all around them.

Well, does this mean you might end up in Philadephia and Los Angeles(!) too for a few days over the next couple of weeks?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #129 on: September 07, 2005, 12:35:47 PM »

I just got some of the latest batch of Sepia reissues.  I must say even a "minor" show such as Seventeen has so many pleasures compared to most of the drivel that's out today.  I did an aural double-take on "A Headache and a Heartache," though--Frank Albertson somehow pre-channeled Robert Morse.  Their voices are virtually identical.  And, JR, there's a great song for your next audition:  "The Hoosier Way."
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #130 on: September 07, 2005, 12:36:21 PM »

Well, does this mean you might end up in Philadephia and Los Angeles(!) too for a few days over the next couple of weeks?

;)

LOL - No, it means that I (and several of my competent coworkers)  keep having to fix the messes that others make of in-person, telephone, and online transactions with the public.

...but I wouldn't mind going to Philadelphia or LA...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 12:37:46 PM by Ginny »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #131 on: September 07, 2005, 12:38:11 PM »

Jose, there is an appalling lack of even basic piano skills among many of the most "in-demand" musical directors (and I use the term beyond loosely) here.  It drives me slightly batty.  And I have been called on to rescue show after show (sometimes literally four hours before opening--no joke--playing a show completely cold) because they've just let it go.  Unbelievable.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #132 on: September 07, 2005, 12:39:12 PM »

We're about to leave for Cincinnati to celebrate Rob's birthday.  Back later tonight with a Montgomery Inn/...Forum report.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #133 on: September 07, 2005, 12:49:21 PM »

Jose, there is an appalling lack of even basic piano skills among many of the most "in-demand" musical directors (and I use the term beyond loosely) here.  It drives me slightly batty.  And I have been called on to rescue show after show (sometimes literally four hours before opening--no joke--playing a show completely cold) because they've just let it go. Unbelievable.

I know that feeling too...

I got called in to play Side By Side By Sondheim a couple of years ago here in DC.  I had done the show before, but I was the MD, and played Piano I.  And now I had to play - and learn - Piano II (which is easier, than Piano I, but still...).  Well...  The critics were not that kind to the show, well, at least the women in the show.  However, they loved the Man.  And a special mention - well, the whole last paragraph of the review - was made by the reviewer from the Washington Post regarding the "effortless and supportive" playing of the two pianists!  -And I was only called in for the opening weekend too!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #134 on: September 07, 2005, 12:50:13 PM »

Safe Travels, DR Ginny - And Birthday Wishes to your DS Rob.  -And I hope you enjoy the show and have lots of cake too!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #135 on: September 07, 2005, 12:51:16 PM »

OK - I'm booked on the 6:10 Amtrak back to NYC from Union Station which should be back home in NYC around 10:00.  OH!  And then I can watch "So You Think You Can Dance?" on the DVR!!!  WOO and HOO!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #136 on: September 07, 2005, 12:54:38 PM »

TOD: Someone once said, and I've adopted it as my personal political creed, that opinions are like (butt)holes. Everyone has one and most of them stink. Therefore, I will keep my opinions to myself.

I suspect the person who once said it was particularly chagrined at something said by another person who didn't hold similar opinions to his own.

Everyone has them and everyone expresses them.

But I take it your personal take on this applies specifically to politics?   Maybe religion, as well?

Surely you won't hold back on shows/movies you love, shows/movies you hate, actors/singers you "ditto", who should win the Tony, who shouldn't have won the Tony, etc., etc., etc.????

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D :D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 12:56:39 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #137 on: September 07, 2005, 12:57:47 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday, William E. Lurie![/move]

May this special day bring you great joy and good wishes from dear friends.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 12:58:33 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: September 07, 2005, 01:06:51 PM »

OK - Time to get ready for another bit of traveling today.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #139 on: September 07, 2005, 01:19:24 PM »

I suspect the person who once said it was particularly chagrined at something said by another person who didn't hold similar opinions to his own.

Everyone has them and everyone expresses them.

But I take it your personal take on this applies specifically to politics?   Maybe religion, as well?

Surely you won't hold back on shows/movies you love, shows/movies you hate, actors/singers you "ditto", who should win the Tony, who shouldn't have won the Tony, etc., etc., etc.????

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D :D

Touche. Or touchy. Either one applies in this case.

When it comes to subject matters for which have limited or no knowledge (or in many cases - interest), I prefer to sit back, observe, keep my mouth shut and soak in what I can. Perhaps others would find that to be a deplorable, passive attitude but as you said, everyone has their opinions. If others want to judge me or others for holding their tongues in forums about which they have no desire to comment, so be it. I know what I think and believe. I know what I see and hear. That's enough for me. That applies to politics, religion, love, careers...you get the idea.

Now, when it comes to things that really matter, like the Tonys or shows on Broadway...well watch out! ;)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #140 on: September 07, 2005, 01:27:07 PM »

Oh....a Musical Director who can't play the piano?  Not even at the Putnam County Playhouse would such a thing be permitted.  Usually the directors of our musicals are pianists as well.....even I myself play the piano.....a little piano....in my own little corner.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #141 on: September 07, 2005, 01:27:19 PM »

Epistle a happy tune.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: September 07, 2005, 01:27:24 PM »

I just got some of the latest batch of Sepia reissues.  I must say even a "minor" show such as Seventeen has so many pleasures compared to most of the drivel that's out today.  I did an aural double-take on "A Headache and a Heartache," though--Frank Albertson somehow pre-channeled Robert Morse.  Their voices are virtually identical.  And, JR, there's a great song for your next audition:  "The Hoosier Way."

I think Guy Haines should do "This Was Just Another Day," and I've always loved "Reciprocity."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #143 on: September 07, 2005, 01:28:33 PM »

TOD:

I think before anything becomes a LAW - it should be legislated NOT adjudicated.  The idea that a judge SOMEWHERE can say THIS IS THE LAW and the entire country has to abide by HIS opinion is ridic! (As they might say in WEST SIDE STORY).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #144 on: September 07, 2005, 01:29:10 PM »

PHANTOM OF THE OPERA - 1962 is okay.  I like Herbert Lom and Heather Sears AND Edward Sousza a LOT!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 01:29:32 PM by JRand55 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #145 on: September 07, 2005, 01:30:13 PM »

DR JMK - SEVENTEEN is one of my favorite books, and I will get the CD someday when I am working again!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #146 on: September 07, 2005, 01:31:40 PM »

Yes, ladies & gentlemen of HHW - this is the news what AM news.

I am on the front page of the paper, above the fold in the catbird seat on the right hand side of the page!  ;D

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #147 on: September 07, 2005, 01:32:34 PM »

Epistle a happy tune.

That reminds me of my favorite painting, "Epistler's Mother".
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jason

« Reply #148 on: September 07, 2005, 01:43:30 PM »

I just had my first call from Arkansas from a theatre group that is requesting to push back their production of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST by two months because they are housing 300 evacuees from New Orleans. I hate to admit this, but I got a little choked up while I was talking to him...

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #149 on: September 07, 2005, 01:44:57 PM »

Had a nice lunch with my best friend John and then back to continue watching HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES. Did I read somewhere that the original intention ahd been for Peter Cushing to do an entire series of Holmes color films for Hammer? If so, I'm sorry they didn't follow through with the plan. He's not tall, but in every other way, he's a grand Holmes.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up