Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HOST WITH THE MOST ON THE BALL  (Read 84971 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE HOST WITH THE MOST ON THE BALL
« Reply #240 on: September 09, 2005, 08:50:11 PM »

A little earlier tonight while waiting for a load of laundry to finish washing and/or drying, I finished watching the last season of "Six Feet Under".  As DR MattH mentioned, it was quite the emotional rollercoaster.  -And I'm not sure watching the whole last season over the past week or so was such a "good" thing.  I'm glad I got to see the whole series, but the weekly schedules allows for some some "recovery" time between episodes.  In any case...

I will truly miss the show.  Even with all the fantastical touches every now and then, it was/is such a real show.  Joy, pain, sorrow, heartache.

-And, yes, I was blubbering like a baby too earlier.  Which was good too - I was in need of a good cry.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

François de Paris

« Reply #241 on: September 09, 2005, 08:50:13 PM »

Thank you François.  I'm always far too slow with such links.
The Lynx King.

Oh, you're velkom, Tomovoz!

And you can have some... bread with the links!

"I've Got My Eye On You" sang the Lynx!

François de Paris

« Reply #242 on: September 09, 2005, 08:52:51 PM »

- I was in need of a good cry.

So many reasons, lately! So many!

MBarnum

« Reply #243 on: September 09, 2005, 08:53:28 PM »

I have been slaving away today cleaning up the house (mostly cleaning out the debris from the dining room, which formerly was the computer/office/disaster area, but is now, finally a real live dining room). I just finished rearranging the bedroom (won't Freddy be surprised when he comes inside tonight!). Mom arrives tomorrow morning and I wanted the house to look somewhat decent for her.

I am now trying to install the ceramic toothbush holder onto the wall in the bathroom. Everything was a go until I realized I had to drill a 1/4 inch hole into the wall...so I dusted off the electronical/rechargeable drill that was in the garage and went at it. But...the drill bit that is in the drill is the wrong type...and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to release it from the death grip that the drill has on it! I know I have changed drills on this thing before...at least I think I have. Of course the instructions are nowhere to be found.

MBarnum

« Reply #244 on: September 09, 2005, 08:54:34 PM »

I see Rodzinski has avoided the dreaded bitch slap.

Tomovoz

« Reply #245 on: September 09, 2005, 08:55:03 PM »

You truly belong on this site DR MBarnum. lol
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #246 on: September 09, 2005, 08:55:19 PM »

And one "side effect" so to speak of my viewing of "Six Feet Under" tonight was that I called Steve, and told him something I haven't told him in a while.  

"I love you."

And said he still loves me too.

Always nice to hear that.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #247 on: September 09, 2005, 08:58:41 PM »

Vixmom-
Sorry I was catching up so I missed you. We got our PLAYBILL yearbooks this week. I think it is a neat idea. I don't know what they are charging for them, but it is a pretty nice piece if you are totally into Broadway, and if the idea takes off it would be a nice series to have over the years. It's really like having condensed playbills for every show during a particular year, with cast photos, factoids and photos of many people who work in the industry. TPunk, for instance, is in there. As are my coworkers. I got hired too late!

The downside: The cover isn't the most attractive thing I've ever seen. And the problem inherent with such a project is a lot of it is out of date by the time it is printed. And do photos of publicists and playbill employees really mean anything to the casual Broadway fan?

Those are my thoughts.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #248 on: September 09, 2005, 09:02:06 PM »

I see Rodzinski has avoided the dreaded bitch slap.

For now!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #249 on: September 09, 2005, 09:02:54 PM »

Congrats to DR Jose on getting the final word on getting the job!

I do have a question, have you ever have some music that you just hated for whatever reason but had to play because it was part of a show you were doing?  

Thank you.

And as for having some music I had to play because it was part of a show...  Well... Just this past year, I had a whole show I didn't really like playing.

;)

*And it was most definitely not[/b] What If?
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #250 on: September 09, 2005, 09:20:11 PM »

I had a friend over tonight to watch THE STING, and within the first five or ten minutes, his first comment was ,"It looks kind of grainy, doesn't it." I told him I thought so, too, even though it did look better later on, but those early scenes look really rough.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #251 on: September 09, 2005, 09:22:58 PM »

I don't see how they can make LORD OF THE RINGS into a musical, but I guess stranger things have happened. It just seems so massive in scope.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #252 on: September 09, 2005, 09:26:03 PM »

I'll wait for the CD(s) of the Lord of the Rings musical.  Something like that would just be too much...unless I got to see it several times.  That's why I like to usher more than once for local productions.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #253 on: September 09, 2005, 09:26:13 PM »

I echo the sentiments of those who are welcoming back DR Rodzinski! I'd say it's so nice to have you back where you belong, but Jerry Herman beat me to it.  :D

Matt H.

« Reply #254 on: September 09, 2005, 09:29:45 PM »

Before my friend dropped by to catch a late night showing of THE STING, I watched the Garbo documentary.

Nicely done with lots of clips from her films. Yes, lots of talking heads, but these were at least talking heads of people who knew her including a niece and nephew, friends like Gore Vidal and Gavin Lambert, and the fellow who was her "walker" for a great part of her later life.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #255 on: September 09, 2005, 09:30:07 PM »

Der B and I are back from the grandladsitting.  Hopefully we'll have recovered enough by tomorrow to tell about the experience.

:-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #256 on: September 09, 2005, 09:31:43 PM »

Then, I put in ANNA KARENINA, and sad to say, I thought it looked grainy, too. Maybe I've got sand in my eyes, but honestly, it was not the smooth, slick black and white that I think I've seen earlier. I only saw the first 40 minutes before my friend arrived, but I have to say I was a tad disappointed in it. (a few light scratches, too, but nothing serious in that regard.)

Matt H.

« Reply #257 on: September 09, 2005, 09:32:46 PM »

Like last week, I didn't get to my kitchen mopping this aftgernoon due to numerous interruptions, so that will be among the first orders of business tomorrow morning.

Matt H.

« Reply #258 on: September 09, 2005, 09:34:28 PM »

Yes, DR Jose, I think seeing all of thos poignant, heartbreaking episodes of SIX FEET UNDER one after another would probably have done me in. That week or respite between episodes was often helpful (though, of course, sometimes, it was very hard waiting a week to see what would happen next, so I guess there is trade-off in either method of viewing.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #259 on: September 09, 2005, 09:35:05 PM »

I echo the sentiments of those who are welcoming back DR Rodzinski! I'd say it's so nice to have you back where you belong, but Jerry Herman beat me to it.  :D
I'm trying to imagine...yeah, I can see Rodzinski making the grand entrance down the staircase, but I just can't get him to fit in that red gown.  Dang.

;D ;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #260 on: September 09, 2005, 09:37:12 PM »

On the award celebration front, the director of LA CAGE finally got around to calling tonight. I was very UNENTHUSIASTIC about doing any performing on less than a day's notice, and I suggested the entertainment portion of the program as such be eliminated. Instead, why not have actors from each show talk about what doing the show meant to them.

He said he'd run that idea up the flagpole. If all else failed, everyone in the cast could sing "The Best of Times" which would be a reasonable compromise since that's a song we won't have to relearn.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #261 on: September 09, 2005, 09:37:59 PM »

Glad to be back!

Thanks to some years spent building swimming pools, I was able to talk MBarnum through removing a bit from a drill. So on with the ceramic toothbrush holder!

Matt H.

« Reply #262 on: September 09, 2005, 09:38:13 PM »

Well, it's WAY after midnight here, and I'm finally ready to just about drop, so off to bed go I.

Be back tomorrow. Good night.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #263 on: September 09, 2005, 09:38:30 PM »

I have been known to charm the husk right off of the corn.

MBarnum

« Reply #264 on: September 09, 2005, 09:46:30 PM »

Yes, a big thanks to DR Rodzinski who walked me though how to remove and replace a drill bit! I was at my wits end, let me tell you!

Now to do some drilling! Hopefully the bathroom wall will still be standing when I am done.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 09:47:16 PM by MBarnum »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #265 on: September 09, 2005, 10:04:52 PM »

How To Remove and Replace a Drill Bit - that's the title of my next novel.

Has Rodzinski caught up?

Had a nice dinner, and I'm ready to not play host anymore.  I'm going to write the notes now, and I'm going to try to get to bed not too late as she of the Evil Eye comes tomorrow and I'll have to get out of here early.  I haven't decided what I'm going to do until the class reunion starts at one - maybe stop off at the Santa Monica Book Fair, or maybe just do some errands.  Happily, I've got all the stuff for the party in the trunk of my car - lots of liquid refreshments, cups, plastic utensils, and napkins.  So, all I have to do is pick up the deli platters at four and that will be that.

Cillaliz

« Reply #266 on: September 09, 2005, 10:19:14 PM »

Hope you have a great time tomorrow BK!

Cillaliz

« Reply #267 on: September 09, 2005, 10:20:28 PM »

Well, it's late, I better get some sleep. Night

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #268 on: September 09, 2005, 10:31:10 PM »

HAS RODZINSKI CAUGHT UP could be the sequel to THE CREATURE WASN'T NICE.  Of course, all that was left of Rodzinski in that film was his baseball cap, so it would be tough to make it work, but stranger things have happened.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #269 on: September 09, 2005, 11:06:01 PM »

MR BK you could always see a MOVIE in a theatre while waiting.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up