Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FLUFF STRANDS  (Read 80430 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:FLUFF STRANDS
« Reply #120 on: September 10, 2005, 10:25:43 AM »

I'm still recovering from yesterday's ladsitting.

It was filled with disappointments, to be sure.  First and foremost was the fact that der B got the wrong info on what was playing at the multiplex; he was absolutely certain that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was still there, but he checked the schedule on Thursday, and the theater switched schedules on Friday.  The Chocolate Factory had shut it's doors again.

Instead, we took the lads to see Valiant, a British computer-animation WWII story.  The animation could have been better, both on the characters and the backgrounds, and the gross-out jokes were a bit much, but Alex and William sat through it all, and enjoyed it.

The disaster hit when we got to the restaurant.  Der B had decided that the Olive Garden would be a good place for us to eat.  We'd checked out their kid's menu, and it had things that we were sure William would eat.  William, of course, will eat most anything, or at least give things a try.  Alex, on the other hand, is the picky eater, and a real problem.

We got to the restaurant, and there's a line.  Of course there's a line, it's a little after six on a Friday night.  The hostess says it will be a half hour wait, handing us one of those light-up coasters so many restaurants use these days to tell people that their table is ready.  Der B opts for us grabbing a table in the bar area, where the lads can read their books and we might be able to start on an appetizer.  The lads opt for Cokes, we get Manhattans, and order a mozzarella fondue appetizer.

Alex, Mr. Picky, wrinkled his nose and said "EEEEWWWW" when the fondue appeared.  I proceeded to fix a slice of bread with the fondue for William and one for myself, and one for Alex as well.  William poked the cheese with his finger, then tasted his finger and decided to give the fondue a try.  Together, we went through the lions share of the bread and cheese.  Alex ignored his sample.

By this time, I figured our table should be ready soon, so I checked at the front desk to see where we were on the list.  "Oh, we called for you a long time ago!" the hostess says.  The signal coaster had never made a flash or a peep.  "Well, I'll work you in as quick as possible."

Two minutes later, the coaster flashed and buzzed the way it was supposed to.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2005, 10:50:47 AM »

FEEDING THE GRANDLADS, continued.

William and I went to our table, while der Grampa and Alex made a pit stop.  Our waitress produced a children's menu and some crayons for William, and left.

I went over what was on the meny with William, and he decided that he wanted Fettuccini Alfredo; it's something he's had at home many times, something that his father likes because it's easy to pour the jarred sauce onto the pasta.  But William doesn't like the crayons he's been given; he's not too happy with midnight blue and orange.  I suggested that maybe Alex would get different colors, and they could share.

My bad.

When Alex and der Grampa arrived at the table, does the waitress return?  No.  Not for at least seven minutes.  I ended up going over to the spot where I'd seen her get the crayons, and picked out another two-pack for Alex, red and green.  William immediately wanted to borrow the green.  No, Alex decides he doesn't want to share.  Period.  This doesn't go over very well, and William starts sprouting tears.

Here's where I've got a split reaction.  On the one hand, I agree with der B that a dinner table is not a playground; children should be taught at home that it is a place where people eat together, share in conversation, sit quietly if necessary.  Bringing crayons to the table sends the message that the table is instead a place for playing.  And I certainly don't subscribe to the lad's mother's decision, that they should he given GameBoys to occupy their time; that's really sending the wrong message.

On the other hand, how does one explain to a child that he has to wait because the waitress isn't bothering to return to the table?  Sure, she came back to get our order, but then it took her another fifteen minutes to come back with the bowl of salad greens and der B's soup.  We're talking over twenty minutes between when we were seated and the first scrap of food arrived.  This is a long wait for adults, it's intolerable for kids.

And then it turns out that Alex "hates" salad.

William was having a ball with the portion I'd served him, which included some red onion and croutons.  Alex simply had to sit there.  And sit there.  And sit there.  And he wasn't happy.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2005, 11:25:46 AM »

FEEDING THE GRANDLADS, part three.

Somewhere during all this time, the waitress reappeared, chirping that our dinners would be out soon, that they were just waiting for the child's pizza that Alex had ordered.  Huh?  That kitchen must really be in the weeds tonight, if everything is backed up because of a child's pizza.

But more of a problem are Alex and William's manners at the table, when the food does arrive.  William takes his fork, spears as much of his fettuccine with his fork as he can, and then tries to stuff it in gobs into his mouth.  Der B is appalled.  I simply sigh: this is exactly how he has seen his father eat, and he is simply aping the behavior.

Alex, meanwhile, eats part of one slice of pizza, and then picks off the pepperoni and maybe some of the cheese, leaving the rest.  Out of the entire time at the restaurant, he has eaten little more than six slices of pepperoni.

And then he sulked because he was finished, and I had barely started my own dinner.  He had to wait for der B and I to finish our meals, and couldn't run away.

And, again, I could only sigh.  This is how he's been taught to behave at the table.

He's been taught that dinner will already be at the table, that he never needs to wait.  He's been taught that he can run away from the table when he's finished, and that he doesn't have to wait for everyone else to finish.  Worse, his parents, particularly his mother, has taught him that he "doesn't have to eat it if he doesn't want to."  So, he gets to snack like crazy on whatever he wants (fortunately, mostly fruit roll-ups) between meals, and then when it's time for dinner he gets a special plate fixed for him because he doesn't "want to" eat what the rest of the family is having.

And this is how his parents have trained him.

Mommy's response?  "Well, you can't expect a child to sit still in a restaurant."  "Well, you can't force a child to eat what he doesn't want to."

Strange, my parents did exactly that.  When I was eight years old, Alex's age, I knew exactly how to behave in a restaurant, in places several notches above the Olive Garden.  (The Smoke House, which BK has mentioned, comes to memory.)

What bothers me is that Mommy has such low expectations for her son.  And right now, it's almost a hopeless case; I have no idea how der B and I can correct the problem, when the problem starts with the home environment.

Did I mention that Alex also suffers from constipation?  Badly?  That he's admitted to me that his "butt hurts" after he manages to handle a stool?  Think this might have something to do with his diet?  His Mommy sure doesn't.

I'm at a loss.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2005, 11:37:43 AM »

DRSWoodyWhite, your story appals me, but I can relate because I grew up in the same sort of sloppy family the children are currently in.  I was lucky I had an aunt trying to climb rather desperately (like Hyacinth Bucket) into a better social strata, and she and my uncle "adopted" my brother tom and me as surrogate children since they were childless.  Whatever limited manners and socially proper behavior I possess is due to my Aunt Jean, and I'm fortunate she was a force of nature.  When we were with her, she laid down the rules gently but firmly, and we learned which forks to use, not to stuff our faces or talk with a mouth full of food, and most importantly, when we were with her, she was in charge, not Tom and I.  Best of luck.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 11:38:40 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2005, 11:48:36 AM »

Fluff Strands!

There I said it, and I'm glad.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2005, 11:49:41 AM »

Congratulations to DRs TCB & JED on their CHARLEY'S AUNT adventure!  Always great to hear that an audience & a cast enjoyed a theatrical event!

Our second night was BETTER....and hopefully our third night tonight, will be our BEST so far!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #126 on: September 10, 2005, 11:51:24 AM »

Sending good thoughts to MR BK for all his travels and his sparkling party this evening.

We need to see PHOTOS!

Interesting stories from the DR's about grandchildren, neighbors, and shows!  Whew!

I have an idea about the Trivia Question, but research will of course have to wait.

Built and launched a website for my cousin this morning - and now must get ready to head for French Guiana, December, 1910!  It's HOT!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #127 on: September 10, 2005, 11:54:43 AM »

Yes, Fluff Strands was represented by Henry Willson and appeared in a few Ross Hunter movies in the late 1950's.  His last movie was TACO IN MY HOLSTER filmed in Mexico in 1969.

His autobiography I STRAND ALONE was dismissed by most critics as a fluff piece.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: September 10, 2005, 12:05:32 PM »

Yes, Fluff Strands was represented by Henry Willson and appeared in a few Ross Hunter movies in the late 1950's.  His last movie was TACO IN MY HOLSTER filmed in Mexico in 1969.

His autobiography I STRAND ALONE was dismissed by most critics as a fluff piece.

I thought his last flic, produced by Henry willson and Ben Bagley, was HOUSE DICK:  HE'LL INVESTIGATE YOUR PREMISES!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #129 on: September 10, 2005, 12:09:20 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Greeetings from Charlotte, NC!

It was a very easy trip down.  I left the apartment at 10:15, and I was at the terminal at 10:59!  Not bad at all!  And that included a brief subway ride from 145th to 125th on the A (express), and the bus ride on the M60 from 125th and St. Nicholas to La Guardia.  When I was reading the timetables, the travel time was listed at an hour.  Hmm..  I guess they just build in the extra time for traffic delays, and any ahead of scheduleness is taken care of the frequency of the bus service.  In any case...

Nice flight.  I had a very roomy seat in the exit row, and I had the row to myself too!  I got a little reading done, a little napping, etc.  And the flight got in almost a half hour early too!

I was then met at the gate by one of the longtime SETC volunteers and he drove me to the hotel, where I am posting from now.  I'm only on the sixth floor, but I do have some sort of view.  A little bit of downtown, a little bit of whatever is out in the distance.  It's nice.

So...  Now I think I'm gonna head out for a late lunch.  There's a great soul food place a few blocks away, and I'm hoping they have their fried green tomatoes today!  Yummy!  And I'll probably get the fried chicken.  But if the meatloaf looks good.  Well..  There are a few other places down here, so, my culinary whims may get whimmed.  -What the hey?

In any case....
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #130 on: September 10, 2005, 12:11:30 PM »

DR SWW - Sorry about your grandlad dining woes.  All I can say is, at least one of them is not a grandlass.

;)

(And, yes, I am ducking in order to avoid all the various pieces of rotten fruit and vegetables and other various and sundried items that are being hurled my way right now.)

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: September 10, 2005, 12:12:15 PM »

OK - I can feel that "I need some real food" headache coming on, so...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #132 on: September 10, 2005, 12:12:37 PM »

OH!

And BK - Thanks for the heads up on the little extra.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2005, 12:28:12 PM »

Well, I just got the Henry Willson bio from Amazon.com in today's post.  I was wrong about Fluff's last movie.  I expect lots of dirt.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #134 on: September 10, 2005, 12:45:29 PM »

Obviously I've been thinking of the wrong Fluff Strand.  I'm thinking of the gal who teamed with Bunni Dust in that popular '80s disco singing duo, The Underbeds.  I must have the name wrong; anyone know who I'm talking about?

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #135 on: September 10, 2005, 12:51:35 PM »

Just got in from my "orchestra" rehearsal for "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change" just me and the violin!!  The bass player won't be in until Monday eve.  Such a fun violin part and she ROCKS.  It's so much fun to play with another person and this score really comes alive with the addition of the violin.  Tomorrow is tech.  I'm a bit worried as we have a new sound person and a new lighting designer - new to the company anyway, I should have a better attitude about these new additions, but it's tough when you've been working with a company for a long time and most of the design team is new.  Good vibes and marimbas appreciated!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #136 on: September 10, 2005, 12:57:52 PM »

Thank-you, DR Elmore.

What I'm going to have to do with Alex is sit down with him and find out exactly what he does eat.  he's not starving to death.

Then I'm going to have to bitch-slap Mommy, who is a total idiot.

Another area where she's an idiot, which I didn't touch upon before: she's convinced there are no child molesters in the DelMarVa peninsula.  Therefor, it's perfectly fine by her to let Alex go to the bathroom at a cinema all by himself.

He and I talked about this yesterday.  He thought it was funny, that I insisted on going with him to the men's room (or der Grampa went with him).  He was absolutely certain that he could defend himself by kicking and screaming.  But when I asked him if he knew what a molester is, he hadn't heard the word before.  I explained to him that a molester is someone who will touch the private places and try to make a kid do things the kid doesn't really want to do.  I also assured him that the kicking and screaming tactic was a good one, but that it was better that der Grampa or I go with him to the men's room, because there's safety in numbers.

I'm probably going to get hell from Mommy for telling this to Alex, because she doesn't think he should know about the things she doesn't believe in.

She, of course, is absolutely right about everything.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #137 on: September 10, 2005, 12:59:45 PM »

Xylophones and dulcimers to DR Matthew.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: September 10, 2005, 01:01:29 PM »

Obviously I've been thinking of the wrong Fluff Strand.  I'm thinking of the gal who teamed with Bunni Dust in that popular '80s disco singing duo, The Underbeds.  I must have the name wrong; anyone know who I'm talking about?

I thought that was Fluffer Strand, the Linda Lovelace of disco!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 01:02:57 PM by elmore3003 »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #139 on: September 10, 2005, 01:02:27 PM »

THAT'S the name I was thinking of!  Thanks, DR Elmore!

;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: September 10, 2005, 01:03:40 PM »

THAT'S the name I was thinking of!  Thanks, DR Elmore!

;D

ROTFLMAO, DR SWoody! ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #141 on: September 10, 2005, 01:06:48 PM »

Ah, yes, the Underbeds.  Fluffer Strand, with the throaty vocals, and harmony supplied by Bunni Dust, with the high, nasal tones that sounded like she was singing while inhaling.  Who could ever forget them.

Ginny

« Reply #142 on: September 10, 2005, 01:06:52 PM »

By my count, rehearsal/performance vibes are in order for DRs JRand, Jed, TCB, JMK, Mathew and accompanying vibes for DR Jose.  What a busy group!

I just came from 3 hours of information waitressing, the last of which (at the computer sign-up desk) creeped me out to the extent that I need massive amounts of chocolate as an antidote.  DR SWW, we use those Olive Garden pager thingys at that desk to summon people who just have to get on a computer to look for rap lyrics or something equally important  ::)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #143 on: September 10, 2005, 01:32:00 PM »

I also just spoke to Mr Ron Raines who had questions about the Chicago Humanities Festival concert.  I'd forgotten that Leslie Uggams was also performing.  Here's a link to the event.

http://www.chfestival.org/fest2005/home.cfm?page=gala&sec=adult

DR elmore, I spent quite a bit of time at this site trying to figure out a way to be at that concert, but I have to be in Columbus for a meeting that Friday and work that Saturday.  It sounds like a great event!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #144 on: September 10, 2005, 02:02:32 PM »

Had a fairly full afternoon of DVDs. I finished ANNA KARENINA, and the grain issue never clearly up sufficiently for my taste. I wish it looked a bit sharper and less grainy.

Still, glad to finally have this on DVD. The next time Turner shows it, I must watch it to see if the copy they have is at all superior to this one.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 02:05:11 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jason

« Reply #145 on: September 10, 2005, 02:04:39 PM »

Good day to you all...

Last night's repeat of TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA was fun, fun, fun. So much fun, in fact, that the audience wouldn't leave until the band played the exit music again! After the show I walked down to Tower Records at Lincoln Center and picked up the Broadway cast recording. The vocals and band aren't nearly as wonderful as what I heard in the park over the last two nights, but the CD is pretty decent. I really wish someone would record the current cast, though - they're brilliant!

TOD: I loved AMOUR and wish it had been given more of a chance. And you all know how I feel/felt about CAROLINE, OR CHANGE. Is that one considered a flop? It's no DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES or CARRIE, but it didn't make any money. I'd definitely consider it an artistic success, though. Depends on your definition of a flop, I guess.

Matt H.

« Reply #146 on: September 10, 2005, 02:06:39 PM »

Speaking of ANNA KARENINA, which of you NYCers saw the musical version a few years ago? I think I've asked this before, and sorry if you've answered it before, but if you have, I have forgotten.

It did score a few Tony nominations, so was it all bad or just a bad book? bad score? bad production? Info please. Thanks.

Jason

« Reply #147 on: September 10, 2005, 02:06:41 PM »

On my way to Tower, I walked the path through Central Park - and this time I had my camera with me! The picture didn't turn out nearly as well as I'd have liked it to (even with the flash, it was just too dark out), but here it is... It's a much prettier view in person.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 02:08:11 PM by Jason »

Matt H.

« Reply #148 on: September 10, 2005, 02:09:23 PM »

My choice for favorite flop movie I just rewatched on DVD a few days ago - DOCTOR DOLITTLE. Love the score, and though the film may a bit too long and Anthony Newley's Cockney Irishman (is there such a thing?) is WAY over the top, I find it now very entertaining with only a couple of slow sequences. A little judicious editing could have made this a real crowd pleaser, I think.

Jason

« Reply #149 on: September 10, 2005, 02:11:26 PM »

Apparently I have filled up the photo capacity. Oops!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up