Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WELL, DEAR READERS  (Read 94263 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WELL, DEAR READERS
« on: September 15, 2005, 12:07:04 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've understood the deep meaning of the notes, the notes have understood the deep meaning of you, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently in the meadow chewing their collective cuds whilst contemplating that I have written over 1400 consecutive notes.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 12:12:21 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WELL, DEAR READERS
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 12:09:18 AM »

And the word of the day is: CRANIUM!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 12:13:12 AM »

My iPod is on, and I've just heard all three versions of Love, Look Away from the new Guy Haines album.  That was a track I wasn't satisfied with for the longest time, and I kept changing it.  In version one, we had a synth oboe playing my vamp lines along with the guitar and piano.  I didn't care for that.  Then we recorded a soprano sax doing those vamp lines.  I still didn't like it.  I was beginning to despair, and I was sitting at Vinnie's just trying to get the mix to sound right, when Vinnie's girlfriend showed up.  She just happens to be a faboo cellist, and I asked her if she'd lay down a cello part (the other thing I wasn't happy with was that the track seemed to have no low end).  We went over the song about six times - with her improvising, and me telling her which bits I liked, and then I hummed her two or three lines for other parts, and we recorded it, and it absolutely transformed both the track and the mix.  I was then satisfied.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 12:15:10 AM »

The only other wesite that I am prepared to admit to is "Amazon.com". I'd mention the other two I frequent but ....
Chat rooms are not my style at all. I feel more comfortable here.

I'd mention the word of the day but I should head of before I make some brainless pun. I'm not skulking off.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 12:16:11 AM »

Yesterday's topic BK  - any decisions yet about a new recording by the Trotter Trio?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 12:25:28 AM »

Great minds, Bk...I spent several hours yesterday...cleaning stuff out of my closet and my garage.  I love to do this, by the way!  Just clear, cleanse, and get things in order.

Websites I visit besides this one:  I have so many things bookmarked, it's crazy.  Besides visiting this daily, I go to a theatre site in Lexington, and a site for WGA members only.  

I also go to my BBC radio sites amost daily...particularly radio 4 and 7.  They have great comedy/drama/quiz shows that you can listen to at anytime.   I also have several British newspaper and theatre sites I look in on frequently...to keep up with the culture and theatre across the pond.

And, of course, there is my daily ritual of tuning into WMKV out of Cincy...the best little radio station in the world.  What music!  I'm on it now, the just finished playing the original cast album of Finian's Rainbow and are now  back to a great diet of big band, standards, and easy listening (ala Jackie Gleason/Percy Faith stuff).

I have another screenwriting site I go to frequently, but far less than I used to...I have dispensed all the wisdom I have on it. I visit the Scarlet Street occasionally.  Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I check out Nick Clooney's column in Cincinnati Post and also check in on the Cincy and Ky. papers.
I have several book sites and favourite author sites I visit often.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 12:28:40 AM »

Terry Trotter will be doing a solo piano album rather than a trio one.  We've picked the "theme" and are now picking the material.  We're both very excited about it.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 12:30:24 AM »

Most of the websites that I go to on a regular basis are:

www.haineshisway.com
www.playbill.com
www.tvguide.com
www.castalbumdb.com
www.ibdb.com
www.imdb.com
www.trlib.org (where I work)
www.time.gov
www.amazon.com
www.ebay.com
Get Fuzzy
Astronomy Picture of the Day

And that's about it for the regulars.  I don't read "Usenet newsgroups" (I don't know exactly what they are), but I subscribe to the Sondheim e-mail newsgroup and The Manhattan Transfer's e-mail newsgroup...unless those are "Usenet newsgroups."
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 01:20:28 AM »

Terry Trotter will be doing a solo piano album rather than a trio one.  We've picked the "theme" and are now picking the material.  We're both very excited about it.
I'm looking forward to it. I've enjoyed the others.
James Thurber 1957

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 02:28:32 AM »

The World Weather Forecast site is my favorite.***

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 03:05:14 AM »

DR VIXMOM,
Sorry for my slow reply…
As for the film “Hero”, regrettably, it’s not Japanese, a Hong Kong film. I’ve never seen through that film but it seems to me that the colors and the actors’ actions in it are very like the Chinese classical opera’s.
And RED is a color of LUCK in Japan, too, (Red is used in some points in most of temples and shrines) but for other colors in the film I have no idea what they indicate generally in China or in the film either.

They fly so high
Nearly reach the sky,
Then like my dreams
They fade and die.

In any case, these words(lyrics?) recalled me to an old song about Bubbles, since these words are very, very similar to the said nursery rhyme(song). Tried to transfer the lyrics in English for you and all dear readers, since it's very short. Hope you enjoy it.

BUBBLE:
They fly, fly over the roof
Flew over the roof
Then they broke and faded

They faded and faded away, not flied
As they were born
They broke and faded

Oh, do not blow, wind
Do not blow, wind
Let’s make bubbles fly

I suppose you'd have a rather negative image in it. For some reason, our Japanese nursery songs are almost a little melancholy for children, not only lyrics, but melodies.
Bubbles are nostargic but they are always likened to a breaf span of life and fragile thing.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 03:06:14 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm staring at the screen, trying to get my energy level up to accomplish some things before 8 am, and thinking, what sites do I hang out on besides HHW?  I'm feeling vague on all my options.  I know that at 9:30 I have a meeting with the conductor of the Chicago Humanities Festival concert, and I have to finish Faith Prince's chart by Monday.  Beyond that, I know that this doesn't feel like a Thursday, which confuses me, and I need to  stay on schedule thoughout the weekend.

The only sites I hit daily are eBay and HHW; I've bookmarked three eBay searches - Babes in Toyland, Victor Herbert, and Jerome Kern - and I check these sites at least twice a day for ephemera and music that I think may be helpful for the recording project research.  I go to Theatremania, whenever I think about, it to read my friend Peter Filichia's column and I then read the pieces in his archive that I may have missed.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 03:07:45 AM »

For yesterday’s Ask BK Day;

Will Haines His Way CD be released from Kritzerland in the near future? It can be purchased only at amazon.com now and hereafter?

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2005, 03:14:12 AM »

And one more topic from yesterday;

I watched Buffalo 66 of Vincent Gallo three or four years ago and I don’t say I didn’t like it.  I guess (I’ve never seen the Brown Bunny so…) that the story (plot) is almost same as The Brown Bunny’s that dear BK described in the notes, however, there’re some delicate sentiments between leading characters, Vincent Gallo and Christina Ricci, in Buffalo 66. The film couldn’t convince me to watch his other films, though.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 03:20:44 AM »

Wow, "Well, dear readers" has been used as many as (close to)1400 times in the notes by dear BK!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 05:32:31 PM by Hisaka »

Tomovoz

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2005, 03:32:09 AM »

DR Jed it is 3.30am!!!
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2005, 03:48:52 AM »

Good morning, DRTomovoz!  I hope you've had a pleasant day.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2005, 03:56:23 AM »

Running late but wanted to say Good Morning and I hope everyone has a good day!

I did two T shirt designs last night.  I may do one more tonight and they can either pick one of those or reject them all.  I like to take my time when coming up with a design.  I only found out they wanted me to DO a shirt last Friday and then on Tuesday that they wanted it by this FRIDAY.  Gezzz.   :D

See ya'll tonight!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2005, 03:56:25 AM »

Hello DR Larry.  A visit to the optician and no need for new spectacles - a good day if no deterioration in two and a half years.  I'm in contact with DR OzDerek's sister a lot. It helps us both.
Maybe this should have been an email!

I've still not had the courage to look at the Bluth "Babes in Toyland" yet.
Last night's viewing was "Some Like it Hot" It's amazing how it all still works so well.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2005, 03:57:23 AM »

Good morning DR Danise.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2005, 03:58:08 AM »

And Good morning DR Ben.

James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2005, 04:03:06 AM »

Good Morning to my morning friends!

Tomovoz

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2005, 04:03:48 AM »

On the suggestion of a dear friend in London, I purchased a book by Chistopher Robbins "The Empress Of Ireland".  Colin finished it today. He recommends it highly - interesting, funny and moving.
It is about a young writer's friendship with Irish film director Desmond Hurst. ("A Christmas Carol" 1951 with Alastair Sim)
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2005, 04:14:01 AM »

Hello, my name is Ben and I'm a BBC Junkie (Hello, Ben)

I visit many of the Beeb sites (even when I'm not on Radio Wales) usually daily. I'm listening right now to a Karen Carpenter documentary. I, too, listen to the Cincinnati station mentioned by CP (http://www.wmkvfm.org/), WMKV. I also listen to Radio Ireland. I go to Playbill On-Line, a gay news site based in Canada (http://www.365gay.com/), the New York Times, TDF (where I get many cheap tickets), Doonesbury and AccuRadio. During Tony season I go to that Web site almost daily.

I subscribe to the Cast Recording listserv but that's all. I find most of the newsgroups that I have visted depressingly obsessive and many of them are filled with mean people. I admit sometimes I will read a couple of posts at RecArtsTheatre but the two or three boobs who dominate the site seem so determined to insult and belittle everyone and everything that I'm glad I don't subscribe or read it regularly.

That's it for now.

Ben

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2005, 04:16:11 AM »

I'm reading Ellen Terry's autobiography. I'm enjoying it very much.

Michael

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2005, 04:23:22 AM »

Live365 (Homegrown radio programs)
Cabretdio (Cabaret themed radio programing)
IMDB
IBDB
Playbill
Home Theater Forum
American Widescreen Museum

but my absolute favorte site other than HHW is www.brucekimmel.com. There is not a day goes by that I don't take a look at it.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2005, 04:25:55 AM »

This was mentioned last nite in the notes. But in case someone missed it.

I woke up this morning to the announcement that Robert Wise had passed away. Sadly a couple months shy of The Sound of Music's 40th Anniversary release and hoopla. At least he got to record material for the release.

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2005, 04:26:42 AM »

Good morning Ben
Good morning Tom
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2005, 04:28:09 AM »

Hello Michael  I hope your aches and pains are gone.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2005, 04:30:24 AM »

Hello, my name is Ben and I'm a BBC Junkie (Hello, Ben)

I subscribe to the Cast Recording listserv but that's all. I find most of the newsgroups that I have visted depressingly obsessive and many of them are filled with mean people.

Did you see Mr Esche's email about me "pushing" Bruce?  Interesting how two stories about the same recording don't jive, but since Mr Esche is in league with the snake, I don't give his account much weight.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up