Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: EASY LIVING  (Read 25062 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:EASY LIVING
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2003, 11:42:20 AM »

Oh dear, I think Mr Michael Jackson is about to get a reality check.  :-\

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Music/11/19/jackson.ranch/index.html
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 11:43:31 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

td

• td
« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2003, 11:44:17 AM »

'Fame' Actor Gene Anthony Ray Dies at 41

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

NEW YORK - Gene Anthony Ray, an actor and dancer best known for his roles in the 1980 movie "Fame" and its spin-off television series, died Friday in Manhattan of complications from a stroke. He was 41.    

Ray was also HIV positive, his mother said. The actor attended New York's High School of the Performing Arts, but he dropped out after a year.

Ray returned to the role of Leroy for the "Fame" television series, which ran from 1982 to 1987. He went on to appear in the films "Out of Sync" (1995) and "Eddie" (1996), starring Whoopi Goldberg (news).

Ray appears in a "Fame" reunion documentary, "Fame Remember My Name," which was taped in April 2003 for the BBC but has not yet aired.

Funny, the AP doesn't mention CARRIE:  THE MUSICAL which Ray played both London and New York.  :-[
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2003, 11:45:08 AM »

This is a question for BK, Jay and any other Los Angeles DR:

In the new book on Kander and Ebb, when discussing the flop of  THE HAPPY TIME, John Kander says "I don't think you can learn from a Los Angeles audience what you need to learn for a New York production."  He really never elaborated on this statement.

Do you agree with this statement?  If so, why and if not, why not?  
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2003, 11:46:04 AM »

Ron - does "dingo" when pluralized take an "e" or is it "dingos?"

mmm.... the things you get to ponder at HHW ;)

Check your Webster!   ;D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 11:58:53 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2003, 11:47:11 AM »

BTW, re: WICKED. I don't know, but the performance on Letterman did nothing for me. I didn't particularly like it. But in contrast I loved Kristin's rendition of "Popular" from the Today show last week. I find myself singing it over and over.

Then I daresay you won't enjoy the show, so I recommend you avoid it.  Idina Menzel's character is the raison d'etre of the story and she has quite a few songs with the same intensity as "Defying Gravity."

Of course, Kristin's Glinda is an everpresent figure with lots of cute lines and the big novelty number, but that might not be enough for you.  

As for me, "Defying Gravity" (which is much more impressive in a theater) raised chills on my arms and brought the house down!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 11:51:27 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Tomovoz

« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2003, 11:47:17 AM »

Happy Birthday Jason.
Now to read all the posts. Back later.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2003, 11:47:20 AM »

Can we really applaud or boo Mahler here?  I'm confused.

Ask BK: What numbers got Lost In Boston, not making it onto your Lost In Boston series?  In other words, what songs did you almost record?  And what stopped you?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

td

• td
« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2003, 11:53:32 AM »

Blurrily, Mr. Ray may be seen in these photos courtesy of Robbie R.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2003, 12:00:26 PM »

Thanks TD!  Sad....Lee Curreri, Carlo Imperato, and Valerie Landsburg were my three favorite actors on the original series!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2003, 12:01:48 PM »

I do hope our Hainsies and Kimlets on the east coast are all right!

I've heard there are torrential rains falling over various locations!

That can mean power outages and stuff.

Tomovoz

« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2003, 12:06:13 PM »

I am not from NZ and have not been doing anything with sheep. Not even dotting the hills near the olive trees or whatever it was with the KKK.
Favourite Shirley: "My Geisha" and "Some Came Running" Favourite Cissy: "In The Bedroom".
Thanks for the wake up call Ron and thanks TCB for trying to quieten it!
WEL: Overall what was your opinion of the Kander & Ebb book?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 12:06:53 PM by Tom from OZ »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2003, 12:20:27 PM »

I have had time to read the last 4 pages of yesterday's posts and no-one has posted. I shall go back to bed and think about that. Ron can you organise a plague or something. Maybe locusts are needed to drive the posters to HHW.
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2003, 12:29:55 PM »

Emily:  Just re-read your comments about last night's performance on Letterman.

I am unsuccessfully trying to recall those soldiers being in that scene when I saw the show here in San Francisco.

My memory is that when Elphaba was airborne, the song was totally a solo.  But I "might" be wrong.  There's definitely a change in the delivery...whether it's a specially formulated version for TV as opposed to what they're doing in the theater I cannot say.

Hopefully, someone who has seen both the show at the Gershwin and last night's performance can share insights with us as to how representative the number is of the way it's now being done on stage.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2003, 12:53:13 PM »

Last night we saw an absolutely captivating piece of theatre.  It was a one-woman show called Lilia in which performer/playwright Libby Skala regaled us with a portrait of her grandmother, Oscar-winning actress Lilia Skala.  We were moved by all the life lessons that emerged with wit and specificity.  We laughed an awful lot.  But best of all was the lesson in acting, offered not just by Lilia, the character, but by Libby in her magnificently wrought depictions.  Amazing how she could delineate people at various ages (from 3 to 97) with no costume or make-up changes.  And instantly!  The show's not a monologue.  It's dialogue, rendered all by one person.

Plays Mondays and Tuesdays at 7 at Where Eagles Dare in the garment district.  Seek it out now.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2003, 01:08:05 PM »

I'm only about a third of the way through the book so far.  I happened to read that quote on a "bathroom break".  However from what I am reading I am not learning that much.  I'd like to read a book about Kander and Ebb by someone else and not a transcription of a series of interviews with them which is the form the book takes.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Emily

« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2003, 01:08:20 PM »

Ron, unless I was imagining something, the scene yesterday:

1) opened with angry villagers
2) Idina and monkey make their appearance
3) Idina sing sing sing sing
4) soldiers come in - sing something very short while Idina moves backwards to get into "flying" position
5) Idina rises in the air and finishes the song

Am I crazy?  I remember people that weren't villagers with spears.  I assumed they were guards from the Emerald City or such.

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2003, 01:13:17 PM »

DR Noel:  Sounds like a great evening.  Lilia Skala was an interesting actress.  Unfortunately, she never won an Oscar. although she was nominated for "Lilies of the Field" (Margaret Rutherford won that year for "The V.I.P.s").  

Tomovoz

« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2003, 01:14:07 PM »

"Am I crazy?". Emily you are on this site. Mr Barkalot had had us all committed for just that delightful shared trait.
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2003, 01:16:12 PM »

Ron, unless I was imagining something, the scene yesterday:

1) opened with angry villagers
2) Idina and monkey make their appearance
3) Idina sing sing sing sing
4) soldiers come in - sing something very short while Idina moves backwards to get into "flying" position
5) Idina rises in the air and finishes the song

Am I crazy?  I remember people that weren't villagers with spears.  I assumed they were guards from the Emerald City or such.

Well, there were more villagers before the final notes of the song, too, and the camera cut away from Idina to show that perspective.  

When I saw the show here, Idina disappeared upstage when the guards came running in (she was in the wizard's palace).  Next thing you see, she IS defying gravity and eveyrone falls back...and she belts the song for all she's worth, including the final ah-ahh-i-ah-ah with NO villagers...you just saw/heard her.  But that was in June.

Things may be different now.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2003, 01:17:07 PM »

Lost in Boston: I came very close many times to doing a couple of Lolita, My Love songs, but it never worked out.  Otherwise, I think I pretty much did what I wanted to do - I think we thought about a couple of Georgy songs, too, probably some others.

The Happy Time: I saw it here in LA - In a way, I understand what he's saying - LA audiences are much more forgiving and really tend to overreact to shows, witness Flower Drum Song.

Tomovoz

« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2003, 01:17:39 PM »

Thanks WEL. I shall put my order for "Colored Lights" on hold. K & E certainly deserve to be written about and written well. I am interested in knowing what happened to "Over and Over". (It had a song about ice-cream so IMHO it must be worthy).
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2003, 01:35:49 PM »

DR Ron: I think I would like Wicked. I love Idina Menzel. I just wasn't particularly moved by what I saw on Letterman.  Maybe it would have made more sense if I had seen the show. Krisin's number seemed to stand better (and made more sense) on its own.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2003, 01:36:07 PM »

This is a question for BK, Jay and any other Los Angeles DR:

In the new book on Kander and Ebb, when discussing the flop of  THE HAPPY TIME, John Kander says "I don't think you can learn from a Los Angeles audience what you need to learn for a New York production."  He really never elaborated on this statement.

Do you agree with this statement?  If so, why and if not, why not?  

Bruce said it, more or less.  I believe NY audiences are more discriminating than those in L.A.  By "discriminating," I mean able to dispassionately assess the merits--be it in the writing, staging or performance--of the work being presented.  I am amazed by how quickly audiences leap to standing ovations here for what, in my mind, is only passable quality--or worse.  In New York, too, I believe more of the audience is comprised of true theatre-philes (I know that's not a word) than in L.A., whereas in L.A., for most audience members, going to the theatre is more about a night on the town.

I need to throw in a disclaimer saying generalizations like the ones I've made here are just that:  generalizations.  There is excellent theatre here in L.A. and very discriminating theatre goers can easily be found.  Likewise, there's a lot of only so-so stuff that succeeds on Broadway, and  audiences in NY will always be made up, to some degree, by the "bridge and tunnel" crowd.  (BTW, I detest that "bridge and tunnel" expression, but that it has existed for as long as it has proves the point that not every theatre goer in NY is Ben Brantley.)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 01:38:27 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Tomovoz

« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2003, 01:39:12 PM »

Jennifer watch out for those pesKy karma gremlins and don't take it all so personally. At least you have a start on them today!
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2003, 01:40:54 PM »

Special thanks to Jay - Goldilocks rules! I was inundated with other suggestions. An unbearable silence.
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2003, 01:41:34 PM »

Hey I'm almost at 500 posts. Not! :(

BK can you confirm that I will indeed become a goddess and not merely a god. The goddess title would get me more motivated to post more often :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2003, 01:42:42 PM »

More hot posts, please.  Now that Jrand is back we all need to say 50 Hail Marys (or Hail Mayas depending on if you're Mr. Mark Bakalor) and make three posts each in quick succession.

Jay

« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2003, 01:46:03 PM »

I should add that I do my best to avoid going to the theatre (at least the larger houses in Los Angeles) on Friday, Saturday or Sunday.  I find that mid-week audiences are a more sophisticated lot than those on the weekend.  I dare say that would be true in New York, too.

Jay

« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2003, 01:47:11 PM »

Uno.

Jay

« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2003, 01:47:34 PM »

Due.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up