Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: EASY LIVING  (Read 25083 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:EASY LIVING
« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2003, 01:47:54 PM »

Tre.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jennifer

« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2003, 01:50:56 PM »

Jennifer watch out for those pesKy karma gremlins and don't take it all so personally. At least you have a start on them today!

I like that word for them, "gremlins".

I think the reason people here get upset is not just because they might feel that people dislike them. But it's because the only people who can take away karma are those people at HHW who we know.  It would be one thing if it was people we didn't know lashing out.  
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 01:58:21 PM by Jennifer »

Tomovoz

« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2003, 01:57:23 PM »

Should it not be Jack making lots of posts at present and winging his way to glory?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2003, 01:57:32 PM »

On the other hand, Jennifer, isn't it better if someone just takes a karma point rather than post that they hate your guts and everyone who created your guts and anyone who might ever love your guts?

;D

I know I'd feel better not knowing who had such a grudge against me.

On the other hand, it might not be as bad as all that.  Maybe someone finds someone gratingly obnoxious and wants him or her to know he thinks they're a tub of guts.  Removal of a karma is much kinder than saying the words!

:o
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 02:02:36 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2003, 02:01:37 PM »

I'm twying I'm twying!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2003, 02:03:00 PM »

Twy hard-er!

If you make it before Jason logs on for his birthday celebration, you, Tom and I can join in and make it a

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]THREE GOD NIGHT![/move]
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 02:04:56 PM by Ron Pulliam »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #126 on: November 19, 2003, 02:06:05 PM »

On the other hand, Jennifer, isn't it better if someone just takes a karma point rather than post that they hate your guts and everyone who created your guts and anyone who might ever love your guts?

;D

On the other hand, it might not be as bad as all that.  Maybe someone finds someone gratingly obnoxious and wants him or her to know he thinks they're a tub of guts.  Removal of a karma is much kinder than saying the words!

Or maybe, in your case Ron, they are just an atheist.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2003, 02:06:50 PM »

Well I don't want anyone to hate my guts. :'(

Personally I really dislike the whole idea of having the option to take away karma points. It feels hateful in spirit.

But in a way I would rather know why someone would do it.  I like things to make sense. Does that make any sense?

I guess I just don't get it.  What could someone here do to you that would make you want to send them bad vibes?

Anyhow I gotta go make dinner.

Hope everyone has a great night.

Emily

« Reply #128 on: November 19, 2003, 02:08:10 PM »

Ron I looked again at the clip you sent me.

It still does NOT explain the presence of the guards in the last little bit who are then joined by the villagers from the song's opening.  

The guards come, spin and are then forgotten.  The villagers come racing in after them.

In MY production, the guards would be cut out.  Either than or the villagers would be replaced by the guards at the beginning.  
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2003, 02:11:30 PM »

Request: I am soon to make my Christmas gift Cd compilations. I am contemplating making a CD with "BEAR" songs

I like Maltby & Shire's The Bear, The Lion, The Hamster and The Mole, but it's not about bears for very long.

It's not on CD, but there's Song of the Bear from Tony Kushner's first musical, which played 20 years ago next month.  (Wonder who wrote the music...) His second musical is playing now...  Anyone heard anything about it?

In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jennifer

« Reply #130 on: November 19, 2003, 02:12:43 PM »

;D

Or maybe, in your case Ron, they are just an atheist.

You crack me up sometimes. You truly come up with some of the best lines.

Tomovoz

« Reply #131 on: November 19, 2003, 02:20:01 PM »

Thanks Noel. I'll check out the Maltby. Now for some bicycle songs.
Joy To The World Ron. Dog damn it.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #132 on: November 19, 2003, 02:24:27 PM »

LOL

Tomovoz

« Reply #133 on: November 19, 2003, 02:28:50 PM »

By the time I return to the board I expect there will have been someone checking to see that the clouds do indeed have a silver lining. You will be no doubt surprised and relieved to know "All that Heaven Allows". Keep at it JRand. The view is to die for.
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #134 on: November 19, 2003, 02:32:17 PM »

I quite enjoyed COLORED LIGHTS. Yes, a critical and descriptive analysis of all their wonderful shows would certainly be in order (along the lines of Zadan's SONDHEIM & CO.), but I found the book entertaining light reading and some of their opinions on their own work and the work of others were very surprising. And occasionally, when they have an opinion about someone in a show, say Liza Minnelli, there is an insert from Liza giving her opinion of their opinion. Nice little touch.

I'd like the book to have been twice as long as it was, and I wish they had gone into more detail with their film work. Kander and especially Ebb seem very caught up in the monetary success (or lack thereof) of their projects and except for THE RINK, tend to judge their work too much on whether it achieved popular success rather than just on the merits of their product. That surprised me.

But it's a VERY worthwhile book to have, especially if you enjoy their scores as much as I do. In the modern musical theater (past 1960), I rank their work next to Sondheim's.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 02:40:03 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #135 on: November 19, 2003, 02:36:25 PM »

For those of you who have seen WICKED, do you think the producers will use a montage of scenes from the show on the TOnys (it's obviously going to get a Best Musical nomination), or is there either Kristin's "Popular" or Idina's "Defying Gravity" that they'll use in toto? Do Idina and Kristin share a duet that they could perform together?

All I know is that I REALLY want to see this show.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #136 on: November 19, 2003, 02:42:24 PM »

Thanks Ron and Tom - hopefully when the role is called up yonder, I'll be there.

Matt H.

« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2003, 02:53:49 PM »

Noel, there is an interview up with Tony Kuschner right now at Playbill-on-Line where he talks about his new musical and the new HBO films of his ANGELS IN AMERICA plays.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2003, 02:56:40 PM »

Hello, everyone!  I'm at work...today has been very tiring so far and it isn't nearly over yet.  I need a massage!

I've had some time to mull over DR questions!

My favorite Shirley MacLaine movie is Sweet Charity, and my favorite Sissy Spacek movie is In the Bedroom.  Really, I have not seen enough of her movies.

I've gotten some pretty cool birthday presents, but they all pale in comparison to my graduation present--a vintage looking record player that also has a CD and cassette player.  I love it, love it, love it.

LOL, BK!!!  If we are a Grade 10 study hall, you are the slightly mischeivous supervisor of it!

Matt H.--I agree with you about Kander and Ebb (REALLY want to read Colored Lights as well as Everything was Possible--those are going on my bday wishlist this year).  K&H, Herman and Sondheim are really the last of the great Broadway craftsmen, IMHO. I mean there are some fabulous younger talents....but those guys are just peerless.

It is sooo rainy outside.  Blah.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2003, 03:07:13 PM »

TCB:  Naaaaah!

« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 03:08:10 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #140 on: November 19, 2003, 03:22:02 PM »

Cats & Kittens - I have just purchased a DVD that must be mentioned!

It is a triple feature.  

High School Big Shot
High School Caesar
Date Bait

John Ashley, Sue Randall, a boy named Cricket.  Pajama parties, heavy petting, and MURDER!!!  All the things that make life worthwhile!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #141 on: November 19, 2003, 03:24:24 PM »

I have a technical question, which I assume should now go to Maya.  So, is it possible for anyone i.e. Mark or Craig or BK to see who takes the Karma points away?  Or is that something that is not traceable?
“One thing’s universal,

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #142 on: November 19, 2003, 03:27:11 PM »

TCB--GAAA!  What am I now?  The Mata Hari of HHW?  I'm supposed to know technical info now??  :P

It's all code to me!  

Jrand--I love the new pic!  Makes me really miss the summer!

MBarnum

« Reply #143 on: November 19, 2003, 03:28:01 PM »

Good DVD buy JRand53! DATE BAIT is a good one! Gary Clarke is in it and Marlo (Marla) Ryan who is one of the gals that auditioned for Lana in that SUPERBOY tape you sent to me. I want a full review when you are finished (maybe Scarlet Street would like a full review also!)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2003, 03:29:24 PM »

For those of you who have seen WICKED, do you think the producers will use a montage of scenes from the show on the TOnys (it's obviously going to get a Best Musical nomination), or is there either Kristin's "Popular" or Idina's "Defying Gravity" that they'll use in toto? Do Idina and Kristin share a duet that they could perform together?

All I know is that I REALLY want to see this show.

Toto!  Wicked!  Hahaha!  I get it Matt!  Good one.
“One thing’s universal,

Michael

« Reply #145 on: November 19, 2003, 03:30:00 PM »

NEWS AND RANDOM THOUGHTS
[/size]

MICHAEL JACKSON about time???? Are they going to let him keep his kids? Or adopt 7 others. FOX News ask if Jackson won't escape to Paris like Roman Polansky did to evade prosecution. In Jackson case he could be extradited because unlike Polansky he is not a French citizen.

As previously mention actor/dancer Gene Anthony died at age of 41 from complication of a stroke. At 41! oh my. But did not know he was HIV positive which probably was one of the contributing factors

Also actor Jonathan Brandis star of the TV series SeaQuest and such movies as Ladybugs was found dead in his apartment in LA at the age of 27.

Ellen Burstyn's solo starrer "Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All," opened and closed on opening night.

Farrach Fawcett's play closed in previews.

At least producers are cutting their loses and not dragging out the show in hopes of a Tony nomination like the Urban Cowboy producers did.

The Sondheim musical BOUNCE is not coming to Broadway....Big surprise or another producer cutting his loses ahead of time??

Wil Fame on 42bd Street continue to run or will the produces cut their loses after tthe critically thrashing and where is the guy who one the FAME tv show? He was promised a role on in the show.

Angela Lansbury to tour the US in a Royal Christmas (Doing what Julie Andrews did last year.)

« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 03:30:40 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2003, 03:34:05 PM »

TCB:  What would be the point of tracing or looking at who's doing the booing?

The feature was set up to give HHW members a choice.  

Now I'm getting a scary feeling that someone is going to suggest the names of people giving "boos" be made public.  

I think this karma feature is a privilege that should be protected as it is, or entirely removed with no points at all.

But that's me.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 03:49:25 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #147 on: November 19, 2003, 03:35:28 PM »

Oh, JRand, I had the BIGGEST crush on John Ashley when I was young.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #148 on: November 19, 2003, 03:36:50 PM »

Best birthday present?  I don't know...I honestly can't remember many birthday presents.  My parents give me a lot...and at some time around March (my birthday month) they usually say "okay, consider this your birthday present" and call it good.  
Although it's not a birthday present, I must mention the graduation present they're giving me.  I officially graduate from college in t-minus 27 days and counting, and as a graduaton gift, my folks are sending me to Hawaii for Christmas break to stay with my best friend from colllege.  I can't wait!  It's gonna be so much fun.  Although I don't even want to THINK about how I'll catch up on posts after two weeks away...

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #149 on: November 19, 2003, 03:37:01 PM »

NEWS AND RANDOM THOUGHTS
[/size]

Will Fame on 42bd Street continue to run or will the produces cut their loses after tthe critically thrashing and where is the guy who one the FAME tv show? He was promised a role on in the show.

Harlemm Lee just had his first solo album released -- and it is SENSATIONAL!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 03:37:22 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up