Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: EASY LIVING  (Read 25103 times)

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
Re:EASY LIVING
« Reply #150 on: November 19, 2003, 03:39:11 PM »

One belated birthday smiley for Jason coming right up!!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #151 on: November 19, 2003, 03:40:21 PM »

I really want to try to break 100 posts soon...I need to start posting more...so let the vanity posts begin!

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #152 on: November 19, 2003, 03:43:50 PM »

Ann--wow, I thought my record player was a cool graduation present!  I am officially jealous!  ;)  You must take lots of pics in Hawaii and post them!

Michael Shayne--Wow, I am SO shocked to hear about Jonathan Brandis.  I remember I had a big crush on him as a pre-teen.  I wonder if it was drug-related?

Not surprised about Wacko Jacko.  Or unfortunately, about Bounce (thank goodness for that cast album though!)

*sigh*  

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #153 on: November 19, 2003, 03:44:07 PM »

BK mentioned LA STRADA this morning in the notes. It was the first Fellini movie I saw many years after it came out, of course, but it has remained my favorite. Later ones got more critical praise (though LA STRADA was certainly hailed by many), but its combination of drama and poignance to me is unforgettable. A haunting movie.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #154 on: November 19, 2003, 03:44:43 PM »

By the way, am I the only one here who never had this "study hall" thing in school?  I've read about such a thing, but my school never had one...was it before my time?  Or just not in my part of the country?

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #155 on: November 19, 2003, 03:47:25 PM »

Ann--I never had a true study hall either.  But I know what they're like.  All of high school is one giant study hall!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #156 on: November 19, 2003, 03:54:30 PM »

Ah Yes, MATTH!  And of course Mr John Ashley sang "You Gotta Have EEE-OOOO" most recently featured on the Jeepers Creepers CD!

He had a brief recording career - was married to Gidget Deborah Walley for a time and co-starred in the "Beach" series of movies with Frankie and Annette.  (I miss the summer too, DR MAYA, but with me it's more a chronic than a seasonal thing).

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #157 on: November 19, 2003, 03:57:44 PM »

Ever see John in the Z-movie MOTORCYCLE GANG? He is SO macho in that. That movie also featured Alfalfa Switzer in his last movie before he was killed.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #158 on: November 19, 2003, 03:58:30 PM »

I just read some of the message threads on IMDB about Jonathan Brandis.  Strange story it seems to be...he died last week, but there was no news, no sign of it on imdb...nothing.  His fans are still a bit confused and upset.  It's not even clear what he died from...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #159 on: November 19, 2003, 04:00:01 PM »

If someone takes away Karma - well, it's a personal thing that we have to deal with.  

I am like those who don't want to know.  That's how flame wars start.

So it's like the stock market - somedays our personal shares will be high, and somedays our value will drop a bit....but it will all even out.  I am sure it will.  I have lost KARMA and it was strange, but soon I got the lost KARMA back with more to spare....and that will ALWAYS happen here at HHW.  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #160 on: November 19, 2003, 04:00:39 PM »

Never saw "Motorcycle Gang" - but now that I know it exists - I will!

Matt H.

« Reply #161 on: November 19, 2003, 04:01:51 PM »

No, I never had a study hall either. I was too busy taking courses to have a wasted period in my schedule. But, my first two years teaching I had a period of study hall supervision that was an absolute waste of time. The administration figured that out, too, and hired aides to do that for the rest of my years while teachers were given full course loads. I didn't mind. I'd much rather have been teaching than sitting in a large room trying to keep disinterested kids from nodding off, shooting rubber bands and spit balls, or thinking of other deviltry to get into.

Jason

« Reply #162 on: November 19, 2003, 04:02:28 PM »

Thank you all for your birthday wishes. I wish I could say that it's been a good one...or even a remotely fun one...but it hasn't. It's rained all day, my jeans were soaked for eight hours straight and work was sucky again, though I did end up getting a card, and I got a slice of Cheryl's birthday cake. While I was there, my mom called to wish me a happy birthday but for some reason felt it was the appropriate time to tell me some really depressing things about my brother and some of his "habits" that she's learned about. Think Liza in her Studio 54 days, and that pretty much sums it up, just without the glamour. That really upset me, and when I got home, to top it off, there was not one piece of mail for me in the mailbox. Not from mom and dad...not from a grandparent...nada. Not even a new movie to watch from NetFlix. I did have some lovely emails from some of you Dear Readers, and I so greatly appreciated them, but it would have been real nice to have at least one birthday card waiting for me from a family member. Perhaps that's expecting too much...I dunno. Anyway, I'm home now and all I really want to do is crawl into bed and pull the covers over my head and hide...sleep...whatever.

Sorry that this post is so gloomy...it's just been a crummy, crummy day. :-\
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 04:04:51 PM by Jason »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #163 on: November 19, 2003, 04:04:01 PM »

Back when I was in high school, back then - when the 'Planet of the Apes ' movies were in theatres....we had 6 classes, but only 5 periods in the school day.  How did that work, you may ask?

Well our 6th period class was held at a different time each day....on Monday our class order was:

6 - 2 - 3 - 4 -5

On Tuesday:

1 - 6 - 3- 4 - 5

On Wednesday:

1 -2 - 6 - 4 - 5      

and so on.....if you forgot what day it was, you could end up in the wrong class!  And on Friday we had 1 -2 -3 -4 - and then the fifth period was a free study hall!

Hopefully no school system is doing that anymore....each class only met four days a week!  :P

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #164 on: November 19, 2003, 04:05:06 PM »

If someone takes away Karma - well, it's a personal thing that we have to deal with.  

I am like those who don't want to know.  That's how flame wars start.

So it's like the stock market - somedays our personal shares will be high, and somedays our value will drop a bit....but it will all even out.  I am sure it will.  I have lost KARMA and it was strange, but soon I got the lost KARMA back with more to spare....and that will ALWAYS happen here at HHW.  ;D

Post more!  Post more!  Post more!

You're getting there....

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #165 on: November 19, 2003, 04:08:24 PM »

Jason:  I'm totally bummed out, dude!

You're having the suckiest birthday EVER!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HANG IN THERE!  EAT SOMETHING REALLY GOOD!  TREAT YOURSELF AS WELL AS YOU CAN!  AND FINALLY, WELCOME TO "MY WORLD"![/move]

« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 04:09:46 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Jennifer

« Reply #166 on: November 19, 2003, 04:10:02 PM »

By the way, am I the only one here who never had this "study hall" thing in school?  I've read about such a thing, but my school never had one...was it before my time?  Or just not in my part of the country?

No, we never had study hall either.

Matt H.

« Reply #167 on: November 19, 2003, 04:11:00 PM »

Mothers, god love 'em, but they don't always make the wisest decisions. Mine would sometimes call me out of a class at school by telling the school secretary it was an emergency, and when I'd get to the phone (with no one supervising my class, mind you), she'd ask me if I thought maybe she should have the furnace inspected before winter set in. Used to drive me crazy with those calls. It's not like it was something that could have waited until I was free or school was over for the day.

Jason, tomorrow is another day, so chalk this one up to a good try and play with us. We'll cheer you right up!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #168 on: November 19, 2003, 04:12:02 PM »

We need streamers and balloons and confetti and cake and ice cream and party favors and cards...and we need them NOW!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #169 on: November 19, 2003, 04:15:16 PM »

Many good vibes to DR Jason!
I'm so sorry your birthday was lousy...no birthday should go by without any good cheer at all.  Just remember your HHW family is always here for you!

Jason

« Reply #170 on: November 19, 2003, 04:17:12 PM »

I love my mom, and I know she's on emotional overload with my brother...she has no idea what to do...but neither do I! She hasn't told my dad what she knows, so I guess she figured I was the next best person to tell. I don't know what to do any more than she does. She tells me all this stuff about him, and then some more depressing stuff about my great uncle who is dying of a brain tumor and a second cousin who just had a large tumor taken off his kidney and then follows it up with, "well, go out and have fun tonight!" I love her so much, and I know she meant well, but all of that just totally ruined my day. I'm being selfish--I know, and that makes me feel even worse.

Matt H.

« Reply #171 on: November 19, 2003, 04:20:39 PM »

OK. Here's your cake and I've invited some famous guests to drop in as well!

Jennifer

« Reply #172 on: November 19, 2003, 04:22:18 PM »

Jason, your post made me very sad.  Please have a happy birthday.  Maybe your family's cards got delayed in the mail. But even if they didn't, there are people thinking about you today.  EAT LOTS OF BIRTHDAY CAKE. That always helps me.

Jennifer

« Reply #173 on: November 19, 2003, 04:23:54 PM »

DR Maya: I love that smiley!

Jennifer

« Reply #174 on: November 19, 2003, 04:26:07 PM »

Would everyone give DR Jason karma to make him feel better.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #175 on: November 19, 2003, 04:26:15 PM »

DR Jason - remember what happened to Lucy Ricardo when she got hooked up with the Friends of the Friendless?

Yes, she learned she had more friends than she ever thought!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #176 on: November 19, 2003, 04:28:23 PM »

Jason - I can relate, actually.  My my sister, a year younger than me, got into such things when she was about 17.  Moved out of the house, in with the people she was using with, and broke my mother's heart.  Over the year or so it got worse...she went for harder and harder stuff, randomly took off fo New York, then Miami for six months with some boy we'd never met...you name it, she did it.  The only thing she never did (thank god) was get pregnant.
My mother felt like her child had died, and it was all her fault.  Since my father was buried in his work, it fell to me to support her and try to convince her that my sister's behavior was NOT to be blamed on my mom.  It was 18 months of pure hell, and part of the reason I moved back to my home state to finish college.  I was mad as hell at my sister for putting us all through it, and for wounding my mother so badly.  
But there is a light at the end of the tunnel...my sister has pulled herself out, quit the heavy stuff, cut back on the booze, and has held a job for over a year now.  In fact, she now manages the coffee house where she started work.  The relationship with my mother is on the mend, and life is returning to normal.
So take heart...and tell your mom these things CAN get better.

You guys are in my thoughts...

Jennifer

« Reply #177 on: November 19, 2003, 04:29:04 PM »

I have lost KARMA and it was strange, but soon I got the lost KARMA back with more to spare....and that will ALWAYS happen here at HHW.  ;D

Yes, that is one great thing about HHW.  A lot of people are really kind. And whenever someone loses karma, they always get it back from someone else.

Jed

« Reply #178 on: November 19, 2003, 04:32:50 PM »

Happy Jason Day!!!!!
...or at least a happier Jason Day for Jason!

Although I don't even want to THINK about how I'll catch up on posts after two weeks away...
Easy... you won't have classes to take up so much of your important HHW time!  :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jennifer

« Reply #179 on: November 19, 2003, 04:33:57 PM »

DR Jrand: I think in high school we also had some weird schedule where everyday was different. We had day one to seven and everyday was different. They live to confuse students!

Btw, you are almost a god!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up