Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: PROCRASTINATING  (Read 81275 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:PROCRASTINATING
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2005, 09:32:36 AM »

I don't seem to be having a problem anywhere but here.

I'm just trying to instigate some mass panic.

Frinstance, we have Hurricane Rita happening at the same time as this.  Makes me think that Rita is an artificially created storm being used to cover up...the invasion!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2005, 09:33:00 AM »

And one for Mahler.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2005, 09:34:02 AM »

Page Four WARNING!!!

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2005, 09:54:15 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Laura!

DR MattH, I am not too disappointed that Veronica Mars is not on till next week.  Because tonight is the 2 hr premiere of America's Next Top Model (although I won't get to see it until the weekend).

Btw, do you know what the 8pm Lost is? I will check on abc.com. There is supposed to be some sort of special on before the show tonight.  But I won't be home, and I am taping Martha Stewart!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2005, 09:58:55 AM »

Here are a few favorites for today's Topic of the Day:

MUSICALS:

Ain't Misbehavin'
Dreamgirls
Once On This Island
Play On! (based only on the CD, produced by our very own BK)
The Wiz

MOVIES:
The Color Purple
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
How Stella Got Her Groove Back
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2005, 10:01:35 AM »

Jason, it's very tempting. I haven't seen AAE for a long time and I can't remember the last time I saw it wide screen. Let me ask Anthony when he returns from midtown. Even if he doesn't come I may throw caution to the wind and stroll up to 23rd Street.

I have been having problems off and on all day with the site. In fact, as I was about to go to Page 3 I got a "Cannot Find Server" error. I clean out IE cookies and history, closed it, re-opened it and it seems to be OK now.

FJL

« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2005, 10:06:28 AM »

BK - Re RAISIN IN THE SUN - I've never read the play, only seen it performed onstage, and it's seemed 100% obvious that Walter Lee was going to spend the money (at least the portion of the money that his mother earmarked for him and not his sister) on the business.  So is it possible I've been harboring a feeling about the playwriting that may have been actors' interpretations and is really not in the script?  If so, glad to be set right.  

But then, as a side note, doesn't it seem foolish of the mother to entrust that money with Walter Lee in the second act?  Especially after he's been wanting to invest money in the business, why even give him the money earmarked for the daughter as well?   But I guess people do illogical things in life when trying to make up with family, especially, and she may have been trying to undo the damage caused in Act I.

I saw the musical again fairly recently at an AMAS staging.  I'm not sure why I was so bothered by this aspect when I saw the play but not in the musical (or the movie for that matter.)  

« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 10:09:54 AM by FJL »

Jennifer

« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2005, 10:12:08 AM »

Well I was disappointed in the finale of Big Brother 6. Especially in how they didn't show the jury's real questioning of the F2 (Ivette and Maggie were hysterical after the questions, and yet on the show last night it seemed like the questions were so nice).

At least my fav won on Rock Star INXS, so that made up for the bad taste in my mouth after watching BB6.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2005, 10:16:35 AM »

I would say DRBEN that you have NEVER seen All About Eve in a widescreen process....but you may have seen it on the BIG Screen. :)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2005, 10:21:44 AM »

FJL, the film of Raisin, at least, does not seem at all problematic in regards to your issues.  The way the scene plays is that she's finally allowing her son to be the head of the household, and that she's trusting him to do the RIGHT thing.  The way Potier plays it, he's very touched that she's trusting him, and I don't think the audience ever thinks he's going to do the wrong thing with it - in fact, when we find out he has it's a shock.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2005, 10:29:48 AM »

Thank you all for your many many wishes for a Happy Birthday.

I decided not to go to the arboretum this morning, as it was 83F at 6 a.m. I knew that by the time I got out there at 8, I'd only be able to walk an hour before it got too hot. So I went to the office instead.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2005, 10:29:51 AM »

What an ugly day here in the SF Bay Area.  No sun yet.  No thunderstorms today... yet.... interesting weather for September

Ben

« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2005, 10:32:29 AM »

Jack, you rascal, you're right :D

FJL

« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2005, 10:41:39 AM »

Back on the list for the topic of the day, if RAGTIME and HAIRSPRAY fall within the topic, yes, I'd definitely add those to my list as well.  

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2005, 10:43:46 AM »

TOD - Caroline or Change, Big River, Once On This Island,

Of course, there's - Good Times, The Cosby Show, The Jeffersons

But I'm not sure if TV shows were part of the TOD.

Jason

« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2005, 10:44:25 AM »

What, no MARIE CHRISTINE?

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2005, 10:45:31 AM »

CBS is using tonight to rerun the two-hour last season finale of CSI leading up to its premiere tomorrow night. It was an outstanding episode for those interesting in checking out the show. This is the one which was directed by Quinton Tarantino.
I am glad you told me because I miseed this and we are big CSI fans.  Do you know what time it is coming on ?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2005, 10:48:06 AM »

Seems to be working better now - the site.
I couldn't get into the discussions at all this morning. I kept being bounced out.

FJL

« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2005, 10:51:17 AM »

DR Jason - Here's a silly MARIE CHRISTINE story.  While MARIE CHRISTINE was going through its troubled preview period, we were having dinner with someone who wouldn't know from piano bars.  I'll call him Warren because that's his name.  Someone at the table mentioned having had a great time at Marie's Crisis a couple of nights earlier, and Warren said with total seriousness, "Oh, is that what they're calling MARIE CHRISTINE?"

vixmom

« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2005, 10:55:22 AM »

HAPPIEST OF BIRTHDAYS TO DEAR READER LAURA!!!!!!

Jason

« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2005, 11:00:48 AM »

I found this picture on MSNBC.com. This cat was rescued from a flooded home in New Orleans. He does NOT look happy to be getting a bath...but boy! animals sure can give you a good laugh.

Jason

« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2005, 11:03:10 AM »

DR Jason - Here's a silly MARIE CHRISTINE story.  While MARIE CHRISTINE was going through its troubled preview period, we were having dinner with someone who wouldn't know from piano bars.  I'll call him Warren because that's his name.  Someone at the table mentioned having had a great time at Marie's Crisis a couple of nights earlier, and Warren said with total seriousness, "Oh, is that what they're calling MARIE CHRISTINE?"

Ha!! That's hilarious!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2005, 11:04:11 AM »

ATTENTION MANKIND:  We have taken control of this post through this female form to inform you that your race is doomed for extinction.

Oh, and our favorite black television show is Julia.  That little Marc Copage is so cute.  We just might keep him around.  We are still up in the air about fiesty Nurse Lurene Tuttle, but that is for us to decide!

Laters!
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2005, 11:09:06 AM »

I'm just trying to instigate some mass panic.

Frinstance, we have Hurricane Rita happening at the same time as this.  Makes me think that Rita is an artificially created storm being used to cover up...the invasion!
DR Danise, have you been playing with fireworks again?

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

FJL

« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2005, 11:15:53 AM »

BK - In the recent RAISIN IN THE SUN Bway revival, I wonder if Sean Combs was directed to seem elated rather than touched by what the mother had done in Act II.  But even in that reveival, the Act I curtain was devastating, as played by Combs and Phylicia Rashad.

Since reading your notes, the themes of the play have been running through my head, mainly about what to do when faced with a limited amount of money to work with.  Trying to put money into something risky that has at least the hope of growing into something big, as opposed to playing it safe, would appear to be brave, even heroic to lots of people today.  (What am I, Cliff Notes all of a sudden?  :) )

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2005, 11:18:27 AM »

Best line from a TV series last night, on House.

"Put your twinkie back in it's wrapper."

Der Brucer and I just howled!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2005, 11:20:50 AM »

Today is the celebration of St. Matthew the Apostle.

St. Matthew is the patron of accountants and tax collectors.

Talk about a tough job!!!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2005, 11:22:02 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, the site seems to be working fine now... I guess.  In any case...

I just got a call to play some auditions for the new musical  The Last Dance tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to playing disco and other songs from the 70's for a couple of hours!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2005, 11:39:22 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, the site seems to be working fine now... I guess.  In any case...

I just got a call to play some auditions for the new musical  The Last Dance tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to playing disco and other songs from the 70's for a couple of hours!

Good for you! .  You certainly seemto be the man in demand these days!  :D

MBarnum

« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2005, 11:39:42 AM »

Well... It's only in the mid-70s right now here in NYC, and is only forecasted to get up into the low to mid-80s this afternoon.  A nice late summer day.

Hope that wonderful weather holds out for the first week of October!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up