Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: STRAINING CREDULITY  (Read 106239 times)

Ben

Re:STRAINING CREDULITY
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2005, 11:12:01 AM »

Somewhere between 40 and...death!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2005, 11:12:26 AM »

Gee, DR Elmore3003:  Maybe you need to send a message up to Noah, saying 'Hey! Better send some people down.  Everyone on earth...is out of town.'"

Who is Noah?  Noah Isalone?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2005, 11:13:02 AM »

I always said you were smart as well as cute!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2005, 11:16:22 AM »

Hey, now....I'm not THAT old!

Look at that avatar.  That gal's forty if she's a day! (a PORGY & BESS line)

Ginny

« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2005, 11:17:21 AM »

Oh, God, my hometown is such a boring mess!  Outside of the library and its computers, there is nothing to do while waiting for friends andfamily to get home from work.  I'm reading a mystery, eating way too much fast food, and playing at the library.

Alas, DR elmore is describing, quite accurately, where I live.  That explains why I choose to work out of town and why I have developed this need to visit NYC a couple of times a year.  Unfortunately, the powers that be did not recognize that, positioned as the town is between Dayton and Cincinnati, it could be a very convenient residence for couples in which each works in each city.  Other communities around us (Lebanon, Mason, Springboro) DID anticipate that and are thriving.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2005, 11:21:31 AM »

Alas, DR elmore is describing, quite accurately, where I live.  That explains why I choose to work out of town and why I have developed this need to visit NYC a couple of times a year.  Unfortunately, the powers that be did not recognize that, positioned as the town is between Dayton and Cincinnati, it could be a very convenient residence for couples in which each works in each city.  Other communities around us (Lebanon, Mason, Springboro) DID anticipate that and are thriving.

I lost my comment!  

DRGinny, you will hear so much kvetching on Monday!  Each visit back, much as I love my family, is such an ordeal.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 11:22:52 AM by elmore3003 »

Jason

« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2005, 11:28:33 AM »

I'm FOURTY. 4-0. Well....that slipped out.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2005, 11:28:43 AM »

My terminal tells me I have 4 minutes left, so I will log off now, play in the library for a bit:  I pull out CDs by BK and me and display them prominently to the dismay of the chief librarian, who always regards me as a lower life form although I've known him for 30 years.

I'll be back.

Jason

« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2005, 11:35:54 AM »

Just had a brief but loverly visit from DR Jose who dropped off a loverly suprise gift pour moi. Mercy buckets, Jose!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2005, 11:44:59 AM »

Just had a brief but loverly visit from DR Jose who dropped off a loverly suprise gift pour moi. Mercy buckets, Jose!

It's gotta be hot goods.  He's got no money in his checking account!

I'm baaaaaaack!

Jason

« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2005, 11:48:15 AM »

Oh! Rapture! It's feeding time for the carrot-stick girl. Today we're having a nice, crisp salad with a big handful of crunchy, crispy croutons.

Someone hand me the rat pois...I mean Skinny and Sweet.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2005, 11:50:14 AM »

Friday!

CD: Doris Day the 1960's Singles
VHS: Berserk!
DVD: Journey to the Center of the Earth
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2005, 11:51:07 AM »

The idea of a one woman show by Cindy Williams intrigues me.

Hmmmm.....

Nicole Kidman and Bruce Kimmel.   Kimmel's back and Kidman's Got 'Im!  I think the movie would work.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2005, 11:52:14 AM »

Hi DR ELMORE - now it's raining in the MidWest.

DRJOSE my allergies are going crazy today, so maybe it IS something in the atmosphere.  Maybe something gelatinous from another planet!

That would be a great movie:  The Gelatin From Outer Space!

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2005, 11:53:43 AM »

It's a Susan Egan "Coffee House" and Rececca Luker "Leaving Home" sort of day here.  Fall seems to be here, finally.  The run of "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change" is going well.  The tech is not up to par with the performances, though.  The light board op isn't on top of his cues and they are always a split second late, the sound is just crap, and the deck crew is suddenly very clumsey.  The vocals are great!!!!  The combo is great!!!  I just have to remember that!

14 days until the DP and I hie ourselves to the land of Disney, and that's something to focus on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2005, 11:54:37 AM »

So, I did a little sleuthing while waiting for a computer.  When I was a kid, a very handsome body builder (calm down, DRMBarnum!) and his wife and son moved across the street from us.  They were quite friendly, and whenever I watch DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, I think about our shirtless neighbor mowing his lawn and my mother and next-door neighbor having attacks of the vapours.  Well, after about two years of living across from us, there was a huge brouhaha acros the Mason-Dixon line called Goldman Avenue:  it's always been my belief that the neighbor lady had a hot affair with the man across the street and that my mother was the lookout.  When my motherdied in 1994, I asked by Aunt Jenny about this quaint bit of 1950s suburbia, and she said to me, "Oh, no, dear, it was your mother having the affair."  Well, I certainly can't ask my father, who still thinks my crazy harridan mother was closer to sainthood than Mother Teresa, and it's been over 40 years since the events, so I'm doing some Holmes&Watson work here.  

Through the City Directories, I've tracked down Maurice and Mary Wise at 3004 Goldman Avenue and the year was 1957.  So, I've also learned he was a graduate of Monroe High School in 1951, which puts him at a dating age for DRMBarnum, if Mr Wise is still alive.  I now want to see if I can locate him through an internet source.  If he's alive, I want to find out what happened from the horse's mouth, so to speak.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 11:56:40 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2005, 11:55:56 AM »

Hi DR ELMORE - now it's raining in the MidWest.

DRJOSE my allergies are going crazy today, so maybe it IS something in the atmosphere.  Maybe something gelatinous from another planet!

That would be a great movie:  The Gelatin From Outer Space!

I wish it would rain here; the humidity is terrible.  So are my allergies.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2005, 11:58:55 AM »

It's a Susan Egan "Coffee House" and Rececca Luker "Leaving Home" sort of day here.  Fall seems to be here, finally.  The run of "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change" is going well.  The tech is not up to par with the performances, though.  The light board op isn't on top of his cues and they are always a split second late, the sound is just crap, and the deck crew is suddenly very clumsey.  The vocals are great!!!!  The combo is great!!!  I just have to remember that!

14 days until the DP and I hie ourselves to the land of Disney, and that's something to focus on!

I love "Coffee House"!  The song "Oh, How I Loved You" accompanied me on my cemetary trek today. I couldn't get it out of my head.

Jason

« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2005, 12:09:12 PM »

Is that Marcy & Zina's "Oh How I Loved You?" I love that song. I'd like to add it to my repertoire, though I think some adjustments would have to be made to make it gender-appropriate. Or not. I can't remember.

Matthew

« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2005, 12:10:20 PM »

I love "Coffee House"!  The song "Oh, How I Loved You" accompanied me on my cemetary trek today. I couldn't get it out of my head.

There's not a bad song on that CD.  I like her version of "Both Sides Now", the "French Waltz" and I really like "Across 9th Ave"

Story songs are the best, especially if you can relate to their stories and they sort of become part of your life or "your" songs.  

Matthew

« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2005, 12:11:10 PM »

Is that Marcy & Zina's "Oh How I Loved You?" I love that song. I'd like to add it to my repertoire, though I think some adjustments would have to be made to make it gender-appropriate. Or not. I can't remember.

That's the one :)    I can totally see a male sing that song - check it out :)

MBarnum

« Reply #111 on: September 23, 2005, 12:13:32 PM »

Media Check:

CD: Ragheb Alama -Up All Night

VHS: Episode of Perry Mason (taping at this very second)

DVD: A couple of pick-ups from the Dollar store this week....FRIGHT NIGHT which is some long lost, but recently found, 1967 made in Texas sci-fi film starring John Agar and some cute gals with southern accents fighting a gorilla monster thing.....and THE FAT SPY (1965) starring Jayne Mansfield and highly recommended by DR Rodzinski.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2005, 12:16:06 PM »

I think I will move from the library to my father's for a visit before I head out to dinner.  I will try to drop back later, but I guarantee nothing.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2005, 12:30:02 PM »

Good luck in your quest, DRELMORE.  

Oh new Dollar Store movies.  DRMBARNUM I must travel to my local Dollar Store to see if they have any new titles!

Someday I MUST finish watching THE ALAMO (I am enjoying the performances by Thornton, Quaid, Patric, and especially Patrick Wilson as James Bowie) and I am assuming the outcome will be the same as it was in the 1960 version.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2005, 12:30:39 PM »

DR MATTHEW I am convinced that tech and crew people should be auditioned just as performers are.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2005, 12:32:46 PM »

Isn't Mr Jack E. Leonard also in THE FAT SPY?

Yesterday on TCM was a police noir from 1950 titled DESTINATION that featured Mr Hurd Hatfield and a bunch of people I didn't know.  BUT - everybody was talking so s l o w....there were big long pauses between phrases and NO cures were picked up.....strange.  Usuallly people in these movies talk like the camera is going to run out of film, but this one....hmmm.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #116 on: September 23, 2005, 12:35:05 PM »

Oh, God, my hometown is such a boring mess!  Outside of the library and its computers, there is nothing to do while waiting for friends andfamily to get home from work.  I'm reading a mystery, eating way too much fast food, and playing at the library.

When I was a kid, the downtown area was a great place to go:  lots of stores, several five and dimes, a great drugstore with super fountain coca cola.  Around 1964, the city commissioners, all assholes, had the idea of enclosing the downtown area to make a large mall.  Well, as more and more business moved out toward the highway and several malls got built outside of town, the downtown area perished.  By the time the mall was dissembled, there was no more commerce there.  My hometown is now like a doughnut with a large empty hole where the commercial district was once.  

So, now you drive down Central Avenue, and there are a few auto parts stores, a florist, a news store, maybe a tattoo parlor and a lot of empty storefronts, which the city commissioners have decorated as if they're still thriving.  It's like they dragged a corpse out of a coffin, tarted it up and are pretending it's alive.  Oy!

When I drove my brother's car back to my father's Wednesday night, I had to drive through downtown Middletown. It's like 'Salem's Lot:  a few cars, a lot of abandoned buildings and no people.  Very scary.  And very sad.  I may have to go out to a mall and buy some postcards to send.  

DR Elmore, get yourself a tattoo to pass some time!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jed

« Reply #117 on: September 23, 2005, 12:38:03 PM »

Look at that avatar.  That gal's forty if she's a day! (a PORGY & BESS line)

I don't recall any mention of avatars in Porgy & Bess.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #118 on: September 23, 2005, 12:39:00 PM »

Nicole Kidman and Bruce Kimmel.   Kimmel's back and Kidman's Got 'Im!  I think the movie would work.

The Second Nudie Musical?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #119 on: September 23, 2005, 12:42:00 PM »

Ah...Destination Murder.  Directed by Edward L. Cahn and location shots at the Marcal Theatre on Hollywood Blvd.

Produced by Cahn's Prominent Features, Inc, and released by RKO.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up