Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: STRAINING CREDULITY  (Read 106235 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:STRAINING CREDULITY
« Reply #150 on: September 23, 2005, 01:25:28 PM »

Once at IHOP I was served a small green salad with my pancakes.  I don't know why, and it wasn't on the bill.  But it was a very interesting taste sensation, pancakes and tomatoes and lettuce.  I hope whoever got my toast enjoyed it with his cheeseburger.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #151 on: September 23, 2005, 01:30:15 PM »

Page Six Chicken & Waffle Dance

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #152 on: September 23, 2005, 01:34:56 PM »

Can you use an IPOD only with an Apple computer?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #153 on: September 23, 2005, 01:35:32 PM »

DR VIXMOM  -- Hope your commute is getting better. :)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #154 on: September 23, 2005, 01:47:16 PM »

So, I did a little sleuthing while waiting for a computer.  When I was a kid, a very handsome body builder (calm down, DRMBarnum!) and his wife and son moved across the street from us.  They were quite friendly, and whenever I watch DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, I think about our shirtless neighbor mowing his lawn and my mother and next-door neighbor having attacks of the vapours.  Well, after about two years of living across from us, there was a huge brouhaha acros the Mason-Dixon line called Goldman Avenue:  it's always been my belief that the neighbor lady had a hot affair with the man across the street and that my mother was the lookout.  When my motherdied in 1994, I asked by Aunt Jenny about this quaint bit of 1950s suburbia, and she said to me, "Oh, no, dear, it was your mother having the affair."  Well, I certainly can't ask my father, who still thinks my crazy harridan mother was closer to sainthood than Mother Teresa, and it's been over 40 years since the events, so I'm doing some Holmes&Watson work here.  

Through the City Directories, I've tracked down Maurice and Mary Wise at 3004 Goldman Avenue and the year was 1957.  So, I've also learned he was a graduate of Monroe High School in 1951, which puts him at a dating age for DRMBarnum, if Mr Wise is still alive.  I now want to see if I can locate him through an internet source.  If he's alive, I want to find out what happened from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

That sounds like a plot for a hit movie! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jason

« Reply #155 on: September 23, 2005, 01:50:51 PM »

I've always wanted to try chicken 'n waffles, too.

DR Jose: You're the walking Zagats of NYC. Let's find a soul food place. What's the place that so famous in Harlem - Sylvia's?

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #156 on: September 23, 2005, 01:51:35 PM »

DR VIXMOM  -- Hope your commute is getting better. :)

thank you.

Unfortunately my commute this morning was interuppted by a speeding ticket.  I have been driving for 31 years and I have never had a speeding ticket.  In fact I haven't had a ticket of any sort for over 18 years and that one was a set up  as was this one.

I had a couple of stops to make on my way in this morning so when I got to the LIE servcice road it was pretty empty ... I was tooling along at the posted speed of 50 MPH and lo and behold as you pass over a main drag, heading westbound you are suddenly in a  small incorpaorated village where the speed limit immediately drops to 30 mph, no warning no nothing.  Since I do not usually travel the service road in this area nor do I usually get the luxury of traveling at more than bumper to bumper speeds in my morning commute I was caught by suprise, and by the ^&%&*&* who was standing directly behind the sign with his little radar gun

>:( >:(

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jason

« Reply #157 on: September 23, 2005, 01:52:38 PM »

I just found Sylvia's website. She sells Kentucky Kernel seasoned flour!! Oh, happy gay day!  :-X
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 01:53:07 PM by Jason »

Jason

« Reply #158 on: September 23, 2005, 01:57:05 PM »

Nevermind. It was Foodlocker.com. Sylvia doesn't have her own website.

vixmom

« Reply #159 on: September 23, 2005, 02:03:50 PM »

Just for Ron

"New Jersey grows excellent corn. Sweet corn is a state favorite. In addition to white corn, there is yellow and bi-colored corn.

As corn grows, it develops a thick stalk and many flat, pointed leaves. The stalk can grow as tall as 15 feet depending on the climate and variety. Each plant produces one or two ears. The long, thread-like silk that develops on each ear corresponds to a single kernel inside the ear. The kernels develop fastest in hot weather if there is plenty of water. If it is too cool or too dry, the harvest will be delayed.

Corn is a basic part of the American diet. Thousands of years ago, the Aztec and Mayan Indians started growing corn and its popularity quickly spread to North America. Corn was the chief crop of native Indians. The colonists developed a taste for corn and much fighting took place over corn fields.

Do you like corn? It's delicious and nutritious! Corn contains vitamins A and C. It is low in sodium and high in fiber. "

http://www.state.nj.us/hangout/corn.html

vixmom

« Reply #160 on: September 23, 2005, 02:04:49 PM »

I hope that pciture wasn't too corny for you DR Matthew!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #161 on: September 23, 2005, 02:05:14 PM »

So, I've also learned he was a graduate of Monroe High School in 1951, which puts him at a dating age for DRMBarnum, if Mr Wise is still alive.

I missed this the first go-round, somehow.

ROTFL!

If you find him, do try to get a photo you can post here on the forum.

:D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 02:05:51 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #162 on: September 23, 2005, 02:06:18 PM »

Ice cream! It's Friday, and I haven't had my weekly dose of ice cream!

Something to look forward to after the mopping and before THE BOSTONIANS. (Couldn't eat it DURING the movie THE BOSTONIANS; Vanessa would NEVER approve.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #163 on: September 23, 2005, 02:09:18 PM »

She'd have gotten over it.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #164 on: September 23, 2005, 02:17:45 PM »

Well, I'm on my way to do the dreaded chore now, and then to some DVD/TV bliss. I'll have a report later on what I've watched.

Matt H.

« Reply #165 on: September 23, 2005, 02:18:30 PM »

Oh, I know some of you are fans of NUMBERS, and I just wanted to remind you that its season premiere is tonight on CBS - 10 p.m. EDT.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #166 on: September 23, 2005, 02:21:14 PM »

I hope that pciture wasn't too corny for you DR Matthew!

DR Vixmom, I love to dress up corn!!!   Nothing is ever too corny for my taste.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #167 on: September 23, 2005, 02:38:07 PM »

Back from endless doing and going, not necessarily in that order.

I love me my Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles.  Have to stop by there soon.

Is Destination Murder the one that was shot at the Marcal (it became, I believe, the Century in the 70s)?  If so, is it on again?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #168 on: September 23, 2005, 02:39:41 PM »

She'd have gotten over it.

I don't know...she's a notorious grudge-holder.  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #169 on: September 23, 2005, 02:40:49 PM »

Destination Murder is the one...it was on yesterday and it isn't on the TCM schedule again.  Maybe if you TIVO Hurd Hatfield or Joyce MacKenzie it will show up someday.

FJL

« Reply #170 on: September 23, 2005, 02:48:34 PM »

I've had the chicken and waffles at Jezebel's at 9th Avenue and 45th Street.  Really great, though a little on the pricy side.

And did someone mention already that chicken and waffles is the dish that Edna Turnblad happens to go to the other side of town for (when she just happens to run into Tracy and Link) near the end of the first act of HAIRSPRAY?  Hence, the truly immortal line "Hold Mommy's waffles."  (I'm seeing HAIRSPRAY again with my Mommy tomorrow belatedly for her birthday, so HAIRSPRAY is on my mind.)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #171 on: September 23, 2005, 03:03:22 PM »

In my CD player:  "This Is For You" by Emiel Van Egdom.  He's a jazz sax player and this CD has a couple of tracks by Cheryl Bentyne, soprano of The Manhattan Transfer.

After that will be the first discs in each of the "Verve//Unmixed" and "Verve//Remixed" series.  The Unmixed/Remixed series is made of seemingly random jazz songs from the Verve catalog that are released in the original versions on the "Unmixed" disc and then those exact same songs are remixed by some of today's hottest DJ remixers...or something like that.  They took these wonderful jazz songs by such people as Sarah Vaughan, Billie Holliday, Carmen McRae, and even BK's very own Astrud Gilberto and turned their songs into modern dance songs...some not so successfully.  I have now gotten all three discs of both the Remixed and Unmixed series.  The original discs are, of course, much better than the remixes, but some of the remixes aren't so bad.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 03:05:55 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: September 23, 2005, 03:08:15 PM »

I am now officially very hungry, so I shall have to go out and get me something yummilicious to eat.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #173 on: September 23, 2005, 03:25:43 PM »

Oh great.  Now I'M hungry!

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #174 on: September 23, 2005, 03:33:25 PM »

I'm off I'm off!!  A few voice lessons, dinner with relatives from Italy and another round of "I Love You, You're Pefect.... JUST GET IT RIGHT"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #175 on: September 23, 2005, 03:53:37 PM »

Apparently I'm psychic - I TIVOd Destination Murder - in fact, I TIVOd three of those 1950 b-movies in a row.  

The credits location is Restaurant Row on La Cienega, just a mile from where I grew up.  If you look closely you can see two restaurants mentioned in the Kritzer books  - Lawrey's (on the left - it's original location), and Richlor's on the right (now the home of Lawrey's).  The movie theater at the beginning of the film - I didn't see any signage to know exactly which it was.  It was funny that they took the time to shoot it on location and did the exterior of the theater and the lobby stuff, but the inside of the theater was obviously Edward L. Cahn's projection booth on the lot.

Danise

« Reply #176 on: September 23, 2005, 04:21:39 PM »

Evening folks!

I couldn’t get on the board this morning at all!

Small town blues, huh, DR Elmore?  I guess I’d better never take you out to see the sights of Beautiful Up Town or Down Town Seffner!  Up town being North of the MacD’s and Down Town being South of MacD’s.   :D

Hey guys! Guess what!  I know a radio star!  His name is Ben and I listened to him this evening.  He’s wonderful!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #177 on: September 23, 2005, 04:28:15 PM »

I forgot to mention that one of my obligations is to visit my mother's grave with my father.  That will be grisly; after 11 years, a second wife and two or three girlfriends, he still blubbers like a baby over her.  I get quite embarassed.  

Forgive me if I'm sticking my foot into something I know nothing about but from what I read, I think that's very sweet of your Father.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #178 on: September 23, 2005, 04:28:50 PM »

DR Vixmom, I love to dress up corn!!!   Nothing is ever too corny for my taste.  
lol Mathew.  ALW has made millions from that taste.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #179 on: September 23, 2005, 05:11:59 PM »

Sound Of Music.

The 40th anniversary edition DVD, featuring commentary by Andrews, Plummer and Wise, will be released Nov. 15 and can be ordered in advance.

Andrews may have seemed like a fresh-scrubbed newcomer when "The Sound of Music" was released in 1965, but she had spent the previous decade as a star onstage in both London and New York. She warmed up in London music halls as a child and teenager before making her Broadway debut in "The Boy Friend" (1954). Two years later she originated the role of Eliza Doolittle in "My Fair Lady," though when the film version was made she famously lost the part to Audrey Hepburn. In a bit of poetic justice, Andrews did "Mary Poppins" instead and won an Oscar competing against Hepburn. She subsequently appeared in musicals, dramas and comedies, notably "Thoroughly Modern Millie" and "Victor/Victoria" (directed by her husband, Blake Edwards), and is now an occasional screen presence ("The Princess Diaries") and author of children's books.

Q: What comes to mind when you see "The Sound of Music" now?

A: Aside from the movie itself, the extras on the DVD are great. Rehearsal footage that I never knew was being shot, footage of us recording at the prerecord long before we began filming. It's great because I never knew it existed.

Q: You did all of the singing before the shoot?

A: Yes, you always do that with movie musicals. You prerecord and then you lip-synch to playback.

Q: At that point were you pretty comfortable in front of a camera?

A: It was the third movie I'd ever made, but I was in awfully good hands. Robert Wise is a consummate director who has stayed a friend over these many years. He's kind and gentle. I learned a great deal while filming. So yes and no is the answer to that question.

Q: I seem to recall that shooting that legendary opening shot was difficult.

A: A helicopter swoops down through the trees and onto the field. When we rehearsed the shot, the helicopter would take off and the wash from it would knock me down.

Q: How much research did you do about the family?

A: I'd seen the Broadway musical. The musical was based on a book, which became a German movie, which then became a vehicle (by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II) for Mary Martin. I basically worked from the script that was taken from the musical.

Q: I guess you could feel that not many people had seen the musical so you didn't have to worry about comparisons.

A: Perhaps she (Martin) wasn't the right age at that time (to play the role onscreen), I don't know quite what. I know I wasn't the first person considered for it. They considered Audrey Hepburn and Doris Day and Grace Kelly. Disney was very kind and allowed them to see footage of "Mary Poppins."

Q: So that hadn't been released yet.

A: I did three films in a row, "Poppins," "The Americanization of Emily" and then "Sound of Music," none of which were released.

Q: Did you feel trapped by the image created by this film?

A: Some people suggested that I was, but I was very fortunate to play other roles. "The Americanization of Emily" and "Torn Curtain" and things like that.

Q: There weren't many movie musical successes after that. Did you feel like you arrived too late?

A: I felt I could have done more. I enjoyed them.

Q: One more thing. I always thought Christopher Plummer was an interesting choice for this movie and gave an interesting performance. Can you tell me why I think that?

A: I think I can. We were all concerned that the movie would be too saccharine. We wanted to add as much astringency to the film as possible, and Chris did that. He was the glue. His contribution to the film was enormous.

Q: I agree.

A: I'm glad you do.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 05:12:54 PM by François »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up