Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: STRAINING CREDULITY  (Read 106187 times)

François de Paris

Re:STRAINING CREDULITY
« Reply #240 on: September 23, 2005, 08:31:34 PM »

If it was Christopher Plummer and Dan Truhitte in the shower together, maybe, but since it wasn't. . . .

That's for the 45th Anniversary! :o

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #241 on: September 23, 2005, 08:31:42 PM »

DRMATTH - that is also why I will be buying the new STATE FAIR.  I have the 1962 version on the official CBS/FOX video release in STEREO, but would love to have it in widescreen.....that's for me!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #242 on: September 23, 2005, 08:32:09 PM »

I am still watching that 1967 non-classic FRIGHT NIGHT. I took an 8 hour break from it and now I am watching it again. The leading lady, who looks a bit like a slightly more mature June Kenney...with a thick southern accent...is about to go into the woods to get her teenage sister,who is dancing the watusi, the monkey, the swim, and the twist with her teenage friends, to come home. I imagine she will come face to face with the monster thing that is at this very moment killing the deputy...I think...it is very dark in the scene and difficult to make out what is going on. I think the producers did not want any one to see what the monster suit really looks like.

Did they all put on skimpy lingerie before they went out in the woods?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #243 on: September 23, 2005, 08:32:27 PM »

They're saving that for  the FIFTIETH anniversary DVD!! :D

By then, they'll have HIGH DEFINITION DVDs, and as that's the case, I'm there!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #244 on: September 23, 2005, 08:34:06 PM »

DRMATTH - that is also why I will be buying the new STATE FAIR.  I have the 1962 version on the official CBS/FOX video release in STEREO, but would love to have it in widescreen.....that's for me!

I taped the widescreen version off the Fox Movie Channel when they ran it seven or eight months ago, and that's what I've been watching. Can't wait for a REAL print, hopefully with an anamorphic video transfer so it can look the best possible.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 08:35:36 PM by Matt H. »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #245 on: September 23, 2005, 08:34:21 PM »

Ann-Margret STATE FAIR page nine DANCE!  :o

vixmom

« Reply #246 on: September 23, 2005, 08:34:30 PM »

Maybe by then it'll all be hologramvision, with lifesized hologram actors dancing around your livingroom

François de Paris

« Reply #247 on: September 23, 2005, 08:37:11 PM »

You sure need High definition to read Dan Truhitte! :D

Matt H.

« Reply #248 on: September 23, 2005, 08:37:46 PM »

Ann-Margret STATE FAIR page nine DANCE!  :o

You've just gotta LOVE that CInemascope!

François de Paris

« Reply #249 on: September 23, 2005, 08:38:43 PM »

Maybe by then it'll all be hologramvision, with lifesized hologram actors dancing around your livingroom

Who knows; they might even add a.... Sing Along! :D

(What? It's done already?! Darn! They're fast! ;)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 08:39:08 PM by François »

Matt H.

« Reply #250 on: September 23, 2005, 08:38:43 PM »

I mopped a book once and read my kitchen floor and felt foolish! ;)

I don't blame you!    ::)

vixmom

« Reply #251 on: September 23, 2005, 08:42:35 PM »

DR MBarnum, Maybe YOU can tell me the name of a mvoie that vixdad saw some years agon on cable and still fondly recalls as "the truest movie ever"  The storyline involved four or five shapely young women who work for a lingerie cimpany.  They are forced to come in on a Saturday , when the buildingis otherwise vacant, to do inventory in the dusty dirty basement.  By evening they are all so dirty that they decide to take showers in the bosses' private  office  and then of course not wanting to put on theor dirty cloithes they all don some of the inventory.

Of course there is a mad maniac murderer loose in the building which we discover when the pizza delivery guy gets it.....

Ringing any bells?  I am not sure it qualifies as a "B" movie, more like a D+!  But if I could find the title and get him that DVD -  man, I'd be set for life!!  

Matt H.

« Reply #252 on: September 23, 2005, 08:44:58 PM »

Don't waste your time! i'm not worth it! And my name is not Dan!

Neither is mine.

vixmom

« Reply #253 on: September 23, 2005, 08:45:55 PM »

Well its rolling up to 11:35 in the PM so I guess I'll toddle off to the bedroom environment

Have a lovely night all, sweet dreams!!

vixmom

« Reply #254 on: September 23, 2005, 08:46:47 PM »

DR Sandra~~~ Do your homework!!

(I can't wait to hear excerpts from it!)  ;)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 08:47:53 PM by vixmom »

Matt H.

« Reply #255 on: September 23, 2005, 08:47:11 PM »

I need to go get some sleep, too.

I shall say good night and shall return tomorrow morning (a Kander and Ebb reference).

MBarnum

« Reply #256 on: September 23, 2005, 08:47:41 PM »

DR MBarnum, Maybe YOU can tell me the name of a mvoie that vixdad saw some years agon on cable and still fondly recalls as "the truest movie ever"  The storyline involved four or five shapely young women who work for a lingerie cimpany.  They are forced to come in on a Saturday , when the buildingis otherwise vacant, to do inventory in the dusty dirty basement.  By evening they are all so dirty that they decide to take showers in the bosses' private  office  and then of course not wanting to put on theor dirty cloithes they all don some of the inventory.

Of course there is a mad maniac murderer loose in the building which we discover when the pizza delivery guy gets it.....

Ringing any bells?  I am not sure it qualifies as a "B" movie, more like a D+!  But if I could find the title and get him that DVD -  man, I'd be set for life!!  

Ha, ha! I have never come across that one!!

MBarnum

« Reply #257 on: September 23, 2005, 08:49:26 PM »

Yes, JRand, get down to the Dollar stores...they just got in their Halloween double features...I also picked up Anita Ekberg's FANGS OF THE LIVING DEAD and that 1960 teen thriller RING OF TERROR.

vixmom

« Reply #258 on: September 23, 2005, 08:51:07 PM »

Ha, ha! I have never come across that one!!

Vixdad was particularly impressed by the shower scene
 ::) The shower was apparently much too small and the poor girls kept rubbing  themselves against the glass walls
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 08:53:34 PM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #259 on: September 23, 2005, 08:53:01 PM »

Goodnight Matt, Jack, and Mike!!

François de Paris

« Reply #260 on: September 23, 2005, 08:56:29 PM »

Vixdad was particularly impressed by the shower scene
 ::) The shower was apparently much too small and the poor girls kept rubbing  themselves against the glass walls

At least it's a clean movie!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #261 on: September 23, 2005, 09:12:11 PM »

I think I will try to watch DR CP's PSYCHO III on AMC....I know, I know!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #262 on: September 23, 2005, 09:12:59 PM »

Yes, JRand, get down to the Dollar stores...they just got in their Halloween double features...I also picked up Anita Ekberg's FANGS OF THE LIVING DEAD and that 1960 teen thriller RING OF TERROR.

Maybe I will go tomorrow!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #263 on: September 23, 2005, 09:19:05 PM »

Back from the store... And it actually feels quite brisk outside right now.  Cool night air, and a breezy breeze.  Ah... Very refreshing.  -And, thankfully, the Pathmark was not packed full of people like it has been the last couple of times I've been there over the past week.

Once I got back, I went ahead and washed some dishes since I now had some dishwashing liquid - and I even bought some new scrubber sponges!  Ah, nothing like clean cookie sheets and Pyrex dishes!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #264 on: September 23, 2005, 09:21:54 PM »

As a child I always wondered why a cheeseburger had cheese, a baconburger had bacon, but a hamburger had no ham.

Tonight I was making us hamburgers--mine on an onion roll and Joe's on a Thomas's English Muffin, and there was the left-over sliced ham  in the frij, so I said, "Why not?"  "Why not?" I said, and I put a few slices on mine, topped with baby swiss.

It was really quite tasty.

Joe said, "Yuck!"

The end.

Sounds good to me!  I believe Island Burger has a Ham-Hamburger on it's menu.  And I also think that burger joint next to Big Boy out in BK-Land has something like that on their burger menu.  -Sorry, drawing a blank on the exact name of the place and the city it's in - and I ate dinner there last summer.  I'm sure BK will know... Don't you?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #265 on: September 23, 2005, 09:26:47 PM »

BK - Taking a cue from the toiletries topic the other day, I recommend original Listerine for what's ailing you right now.  Don't try the citrus Listerine, it'll just mix with those other tastes and make it worse.

...And then there was the Paul Mitchell Hair Care phase I went though whilst I was in college...

The Awapuhi shampoo smelled like pineapple and ginger.  The mousse smelled like watermelon and cherries.  The gel smelled like strawberries.  While walking around I would sometimes think I had a fruit salad on top of my head!

*And what got me out of that phase - besides realizing that no amount of "product" would ever work on my very thick, very straight hair - was the fact that during the late summer and early fall I would sometimes find a cloud of mosquitoes and/or fruit flies buzzing around me!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #266 on: September 23, 2005, 09:28:58 PM »

OH!  Canadian Bacon on a burger is really good too!  Cook it until it crisps up a bit.  And add a slice of meunster cheese if you desire!

*And my favorite burger combination from my favorite place in Richmond, Stella's, was/is a 1/2 pound of beef, medium rare, topped with feta cheese and bacon and grilled red onions.  HOPA!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #267 on: September 23, 2005, 09:30:24 PM »

The jernt next to Bob's Big Boy has lots of burgers, not sure about a ham-hamburger.

And let me tell you that Roscoe's, which has been here for thirty years or so, did not take inspiration from anything on the East Coast, especially NY.  I have been going to NY regularly since living there in 1969 and I can tell you that in all that time there has never been a chicken and waffles jernt.  No, I'm afraid these jernts are all relatively new and all have just decided to "borrow" the business model of Roscoe's, just as certain other types of business concerns have "borrowed" the business model of those that were there first (not that I'm naming names or anything).

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #268 on: September 23, 2005, 09:56:43 PM »

I win!

It's called Tower of Terror.  The monster is actually an evil spirit from an Egyptian sarcophagus that was supposed to be delivered to the museum but was delivered instead to the lingerie company.

The curator of the museum is played by BK's close personal friend Forrest J. Ackerman.

This is, by the way, the movie that Joe and I put on some years ago for our then 21-year-old niece Andrea, who responded, "You put on a Lesbian movie!  Uncle Joe, I am not a Lesbian!"

Andrea and her partner Debby recently celebrated the first birthday of their daughter.

So where's my sparkling trivia prize?
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #269 on: September 23, 2005, 10:05:19 PM »

The jernt next to Bob's Big Boy has lots of burgers, not sure about a ham-hamburger.

And let me tell you that Roscoe's, which has been here for thirty years or so, did not take inspiration from anything on the East Coast, especially NY.  I have been going to NY regularly since living there in 1969 and I can tell you that in all that time there has never been a chicken and waffles jernt.  No, I'm afraid these jernts are all relatively new and all have just decided to "borrow" the business model of Roscoe's, just as certain other types of business concerns have "borrowed" the business model of those that were there first (not that I'm naming names or anything).

But what's the name of the jernt?

As for Chicken and Waffles...  Well, Roscoe's may be the most famous of the jernts, but the combo of Chicken and Waffles has been around for a while...

From a link on the Chicken and Waffles Home Page

But who put the waffle side by side with fried chicken? A Harlem restaurant named the Wells Supper Club has trademarked the logo "Wells: Home of Chicken and Waffles Since 1938," and claims to have started selling the dish to clubgoers in the dusk of the Jazz Age, ostensibly as a late-night snack for folks who couldn't decide between breakfast and dinner. But Edge thinks the origins of the dish go farther back, brought to New York in the great migration of African Americans from the South. "My guess is that it comes from the days when someone would go out in the morning and wring a chicken's neck and fry it for breakfast. Preparing a breakfast bread with whatever meat you have on the hoof, so to speak, comes out of the rural tradition."

Chicken and waffles migrated to Los Angeles from Harlem with Herb Hudson, founder of Roscoe's House of Chicken'n Waffles. According to Jai Rich, Roscoe's director of marketing, Hudson and his friend Roscoe (whose full name was lost in the mists of time) moved to Southern California from New York and opened their first store in Hollywood in the mid 1970s. Hudson had friends in Motown and television such as Natalie Cole and Patricia Edwards, Derreck Johnson's aunt. Edwards was a stage manager for Norman Lear Productions at the time, and says she used her connections to get the word -- and the waffles -- out to the show-business community. Soon Redd Foxx was telling TV land that he was heading down to Roscoe's after his show.

Roscoe's made chicken and waffles famous in a way that Wells never did, and in the past decade the combination has slowly spread across America. Gladys Knight -- another Wells regular, Edwards claims -- owns a chicken-and-waffle shop in Atlanta, and other restaurants have opened in St. Louis, Louisville and, of course, Oakland.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up