Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: A DIFFERENT MEAT  (Read 36404 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:A DIFFERENT MEAT
« Reply #210 on: September 27, 2005, 07:26:55 PM »

I tried to find a picture of that CHORUS LINE poster. It's nowhere to be found. I guess I'll have to photograph it myself. I talked to the guy at Triton Gallery about it. He said the last time he saw one was about 8 years ago and it sold for $150 unframed. I got it on Ebay for $10.75. :D

Hmm... I know of at least one if not two copies somewhere in storage... Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #211 on: September 27, 2005, 07:31:05 PM »

I have chosen to go see the THE PAVILION starring Brian D'Arcy James during my New York trip. It is off-Broadway, but I had hoped to be able to see Brian in something while I am there, and this play just started.

Brian is the nephew of my favorite TV actor, Brian Kelly (of FLIPPER fame).

Haven't decided what night to  go, but likely will be Monday or Tuesday.

The Pavilion is a wonderful play by one of my favorite present-day/living playwrights, Craig Wright.  -Who also happened to be one of the head writers for HBO's "Six Feet Under".  -And he actually writes some cool, quirky music too.

Brian D'Arcy James is a wonderful actor, and just a darn nice person to boot.  The writing team I worked with up at Williamstown are close friends with him - would you like me to see if they could set up a meeting?  -It's just too bad he's not singing in this show - what a voice!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #212 on: September 27, 2005, 07:33:39 PM »

Am also considering seeing  A SOLDIERS STORY which stars Taye Diggs. It sounds quite good...has anyone heard anything on either play (I read one review of PAVILION which gave it a thumbs up).

Little by little my days in New York a filling up!!

A Soldier's Play is a good play.  Very "heavy" material.  I remember a student production of it back when I was in school.  Powerful stuff!

However... I've heard "mixed" reviews of the current production from a couple of friends of mine.  They've all said that they liked the production, but that it was just a good production, and not a great or special one.

However...  There is Taye Diggs...  So...

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #213 on: September 27, 2005, 07:34:29 PM »

How many  concerts go on every single night?  How many new/old musicals play the current festival (most of the shows I've seen listed have been around for six to ten years)?  How many "readings" of new musicals happen every day?  How many workshops of new musicals now perform for the public every day?  It's non-stop.  Is something maybe a little out of control?    

Nah... It's just New York City.

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #214 on: September 27, 2005, 07:36:51 PM »

I just found out that my friend, Daniel, will be making his Broadway debut in THE WOMAN IN WHITE. Good for him!!

Cool beans!  -There will actually be a bunch of "Broadway debuts" listed in that Playbill.

My friend, Sean, is also in the cast.  I'm sooo happy for him.  This show will not be his Broadway debut.  He accomplished that feat with Bombay Dreams.  Alas, he joined the show a few days before they posted their closing notice.

:-X

And my buddy, Jeff, has been brought up from DC to play Upright Bass in the pit of the show too!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #215 on: September 27, 2005, 07:37:47 PM »

FYI: There will be a mini-HHW gathering of NYCers on Thursday night. We're seeing "Mildred Pierce" at the Clearview Cinemas in Chelsea on 23rd Street (just across from the Krispy Kreme!) at 7pm.  Tickets are $6. I know last week's viewing of "All About Eve" was sort of short-notice, but I wanted to give everyone an opportunity to come out and see Ms. Crawford this week.

Hmm...  We'll be in callbacks until 6:30... Probably cutting it a bit close... But I'll try...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #216 on: September 27, 2005, 07:40:28 PM »

Cameron is the King of Merchandising. How do you think he makes all of his money??

And he's also the king of "Cast Gifts" too!  I have some friends who were in the First National Companies of Les Miserables - and the various trinkets he bestowed on them...  Amazing!  French lead crystal paperweights with the Cosette logo, and "First National" on them.  OH!  And I still remember that opening party in DC...  They projected that image all over the place!  Including at the bottom of the hotel pool!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #217 on: September 27, 2005, 07:43:09 PM »

DR JOSE - a first date AND a second date.  Moving to NYC has certainly added to your social life!

:)

Well... Truth be told...  I've had a couple of first and second dates with at least three lovely gentlemen since I've been in town.  And there's been some overlapping too...

8)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #218 on: September 27, 2005, 07:58:09 PM »

Still, it tickles me to visualize Jose, with folks in tow, on a walking tour of NYC's great places to eat this, that or the other.

He wholly embraces the joys of eating and seems to leave no stone unturned seeking out culinary delights.

Thank you.

Yes, I have called next Wednesday's trek, "The HHW Eating and Walking and Eating and Walking Tour - New York City Edition - 2005" - or something like that.  But, really there's not much eating involved - well, at least on the "planned" list.  Right now:

-A donut from the Donut Plant - And, yes, you can share.  In fact, sharing will be encouraged since those donuts are quite sizable.  They also have some wonderful flavors, and it would be good to try a little bit of this one and a little bit of that one.

-A bubble tea at T&T in Chinatown.  -Or you can opt for one of their fruit shakes or smoothies.  Or even a cup of one their regular teas - black or green; hot or iced.

-A chocolate truffle and/or a cup of hot cocoa from Marie-Belle in SoHo.  -And the hot cocoa can be ordered European style - made with water, not milk - and in a small cup (demitasse).

-A sample of cheese and/or deli meat from a salumeria in Little Italy.

-A cupcake from Magnolia. -Or the banana pudding, if you prefer.

-A sample of a brownie from "Fat Witch" in Chelsea Market.

-And then whatever one wants to have for lunch and dinner that day.

...And all of that will be consumed between the hours of 10:00am and 10:00pm.  And over the span of four and a half miles.  It's really not that much food - and calories - at all.  Yes, it may seem heavy on the sweets, but what is the "harm" in a sample of a Fat Witch brownie.  -Heck, it comes on a toothpick!

And while we knosh our way across and up Manhattan, we'll be visiting some "only in New York" shops and boutiques.  Passing by some wonderful architecture.  Walking through history - literally.  And enjoying each other's company.

I've always liked searching out the new and unusual and tucked away.  And I don't restrict that policy to just food.

Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #219 on: September 27, 2005, 07:58:43 PM »

Well... Truth be told...  I've had a couple of first and second dates with at least three lovely gentlemen since I've been in town.  And there's been some overlapping too...

8)

Maybe I wuill have to move to NYC to get a date.  :o
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #220 on: September 27, 2005, 07:59:35 PM »

First half of AMAZING RACE Family Edition....ugh.  I hate those brats.

A few good teams - but too much time spent on the brats.  Ready for the second half.  I don't think I will be watching this edition!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #221 on: September 27, 2005, 08:01:07 PM »

AOL, ladies and gentlemen.  Completely down, at least in my home environment.  One CAN go to aol.com via safari, but when you click on read mail it will not connect.  Pathetic.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #222 on: September 27, 2005, 08:06:26 PM »

As for weight issues and body image issues...

I'm not exactly sure when it happened or even why, but it did happen - maybe it was when I turned 30.  I suddenly became very happy with my body - extra poundage and all.  Would I still like to lose a few - well, a couple more - pounds.  Yes.  Would I someday like to fit into size 32 waist jeans again?  Yes.  (I think the last time I wore a 32, I was 13.)  Would I like to feel the "freedom" to take off my shirt in a club, or even just on a hot summer day walking down the beach.  Yes.  But that's just being human.

I'm sure there were and are other factors involved with this whole "acceptance", but, I can truly say that I'm not as concerned with my weight and my appearance as much as I used to be.  -However, I am getting more concerned, well, more aware of my health - which is good thing.

Just remember, there is a difference between looking healthy and being healthy.

...And as for all those twinks and "Chelsea boys"... well... Just sit back and enjoy the scenery.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #223 on: September 27, 2005, 08:07:14 PM »

Ron: I think it's a funny idea, too. That's why I'm going. I don't plan to eat ALL day - just part of it. And I'll most likely make other DRs share something with me rather than eat it all by myself. I'm more interested in just meeting everyone and seeing more of my city.

See above.

Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #224 on: September 27, 2005, 08:07:21 PM »

I got my used copy of the US remake of SHALL WE DANCE yesterday, so I put that in tonight before TV shows began.

Really enjoying it all over again. Stanley Tucci is a hoot and a half.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #225 on: September 27, 2005, 08:09:39 PM »

Now that Jane has joined the rest of the ladies at the Comfort Inn (I am right that all the ladies from out of town are at the same hotel, right?)  I think we should dub the Comfort Inn the **Official Ladies of HHW Hotel in NYC**   8)

I wonder if we will all be on the same floor?

Maybe the Ladies of HHW should check to see if a multi-room, multi-bathroom suite is available at the Comfort Inn.  Once you divide the cost of the room by three, it may end up being cheaper.

???

Just a random thought.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #226 on: September 27, 2005, 08:12:33 PM »

BONES tonight was the best of the three episodes of the show I have seen. A really good mystery and pleasing interaction between the ensemble cast. Growing to like the characters more and more each week, so this one's a keeper, that is, as long as Fox keeps it on the air.

It's now off for the month of October while Fox has baseball playoffs. And I know that the plans right now are for Fox to move it after AMERICAN IDOL when it returns in January, hoping that it will grow into the same kind of monster hit that HOUSE did last season when it started off with mediocre ratings and then became a smash when IDOL preceded it.

HOUSE is supposedly going to move to Monday night at 8 followed by '24' in January. At least, this was the plan this summer.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #227 on: September 27, 2005, 08:15:03 PM »

Well... Enough about me... well...  Just one more thing...

The auditions were a wonderful experience.  The casting director brought in some amazing ladies for us to see and listen to.  We had Tony nominees, even a Tony winner!  We had a couple of Olivier Award nominees, oh, and a winner there too!  As I looked down the list of names this morning before we started, I knew that we were in for a wonderful day.  Heck, we even had four(!) former Mrs. Potts from Beauty & The Beast!

And the list for tomorrow looks just as wonderful.

*Alas, it was a little strange seeing just women today.  No men.  However, I did happen to run into Cheyenne Jackson, the former star of the recently closed All Shook Up, a few times in the hallway since he was there for the workshop of A Tale of Two Cities.  That was nice.  ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #228 on: September 27, 2005, 08:15:09 PM »

SUPERNATURAL came next on the agenda. Still up in the air about this one.

The first show was definitely creepy. The one last week and the one this week not so much. Also, they're making sure the main person in peril is a hot chick for one of the two brothers to get fixated on before they have to pull up stakes and leave. That has gotten old fast.

I guess I'll try one more week.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #229 on: September 27, 2005, 08:16:35 PM »

...And the dance call for the Vegas company of We Will Rock You was going on too today...  It really is amazing just how flexible some people are!

:P
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #230 on: September 27, 2005, 08:17:54 PM »

The best show of the night was LAW & ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT with one of the best plotted mysteries the show has ever done. And good news, it's a crossover episode with LAW & ORDER that concludes tomorrow night.

However, the episode tonight certainly stood on its on as a powerful drama with more twists and turns than a pretzel. Tomorrow's episode should be equally compelling. Can't wait!

Matt H.

« Reply #231 on: September 27, 2005, 08:18:30 PM »

And, of course, I DVRed HOUSE and MY NAME IS EARL/THE OFFICE for viewing tomorrow.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #232 on: September 27, 2005, 08:18:53 PM »

I plan to tape "Supernatural" and "My Name Is Earl" and watch "Commander in Chief" tonight at 9:00 PDT.  After that, I'll watch "Boston Legal" and then maybe watch the two tapes.

As for the Topic of the Day, the programs that I have and will never sell are a couple of souvenier programs of The Manhattan Transfer, and the shows that I saw on Broadway, the one time that I went to New York:  Sunset Boulevard (signed by Betty and Alan Campbell), Victor/Victoria (not signed at all), and the Playbill for Swinging On a Star (they didn't have any souvenier stuff at all...it hadn't been open for very long).

Several years before that, friends of mine went to New York and saw Miss Saigon and got me a souvenier program and autographs.  I think (but can't remember if) they got me Liz Callaway's autograph. ;D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 08:20:44 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #233 on: September 27, 2005, 08:19:56 PM »

Waiting to hear from those who checked out COMMANDER IN CHIEF. I flipped over for a couple of minutes during one of SUPERNATURAL's commercials. Geena was planning at that point to write her resignation. Of course, I knew this wasn't going to happen, or there wouldn't be a show!  :)

Matt H.

« Reply #234 on: September 27, 2005, 08:21:54 PM »

Here's that Playbill-looking premiere program for STAR! As I said this morning, I also have the full color souvenir program, but this seemed very special when we got it that first night.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #235 on: September 27, 2005, 08:22:22 PM »

...And tomorrow should be quite the madhouse at Ripley-Grier.  Besides many a potential Lola, Meg and Gloria Thorpe warming up in the halls... There will be a lot of machismo from the men trying out for the tour of Evita...  Potential Millie's and Trevor Graydon's for the Marriot Lincolnshire production of Thoroughly Modern Millie... Universal Studios Japan will be doing their call (I'm looking forward to seeing those fine bunch of folks again)...  Hurricane Aimee continues their rehearsals... The workshop of Tale of Two Cities...  Etc., etc., etc...  The joint will definitely be jumpin'!

*On the callboard listing who was in which room, the monitor had listed Hurricane Aimee as Judging Aimee...  Oh, and Ms. LuPone packed up over the weekend and moved into the theatre... Ah, well...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #236 on: September 27, 2005, 08:23:55 PM »

Well, I believe that was a bit of frenzy on my part...  Hope I did not offend.

Make Your Own Luck.

Jed

« Reply #237 on: September 27, 2005, 08:24:47 PM »

I'd be tempted to give COMMANDER IN CHIEF a look, but having her as an Independant... oy.  If you're gonna do a political show, be willing to alienate people! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #238 on: September 27, 2005, 08:25:28 PM »

And for those HHWers in the New York City area...  Both Klondike Bars and Edy's Ice Cream are on sale - 1/2 price! - this week at Pathmark!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #239 on: September 27, 2005, 08:27:50 PM »

OH!

Only because I have to check out a few places and run a few errands in various parts of the island next week...  If any of the Hainsies and Kimlets coming in next week would like to do a supplemental tour of either Central Park, Fifth Avenue (I have to look for a gift at Takashimaya), and/or Harlem, feel free to contact me.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up