Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: AKA  (Read 21863 times)

Jed

Re:AKA
« Reply #120 on: October 11, 2005, 01:01:25 PM »

I've been rather E&T the past few days, but will catch up shortly.

Saturday was spent at the theatre, starting off with a matinee of Seussical at Seattle Children's Theatre.  While the show itself is nothing that excites me much, this production was really excellent.  The set was simply stunning, costumes looked terrific (except Horton), and all the performances were wonderful.  High quality all the way around.

Saturday night's show was My Fair Lady featuring our very own TCB.  All in all, I'd have to call this a hit-and-miss production.  Their Eliza is magnificent, a wonderful actress with a beautiful voice, couldn't ask for any more from her.  TCB was indeed, as the reviewer said, wonderfully funny as Pickering.  Heck, his dancing during "The Rain in Spain" alone was worth the ticket price.  The chorus and most other supporting roles were fine, nothing great, nothing bad.  But then there was their Higgins.  I know he was sick that night and all, but... well, Eliza and Pickering were great!  The direction also left some to be desired, but enough good in the show to make it worthwhile.

Sunday was a day of watching football and lazing around the apartment with Ann.  No excuse for being E&T that day, really.

Then there was yesterday.  I spent the day dealing with the wonderful fun of a kidney stone.  Yowza, I had no idea I could hurt quite that much.  Thankfully, I was feeling MUCH better by yesterday evening and all seems to be good now.

Now to catch up on the multitude of posts from the past few days...
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jason

« Reply #121 on: October 11, 2005, 01:02:06 PM »

is it carrot cake?

Believe it or not...YES, IT IS! Carrot stick girl will be so happy. Though I'm not sure how hungry she'll be - today she snacked on two golden delicious apples and a heaping plateful of fake Hamburger Helper that she concocted with tofu meat and Kraft Mac & Cheese.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #122 on: October 11, 2005, 01:12:28 PM »

Pray for Rosemary's Baby (or house, as it were) Department:  I.  The good news is, we don't really have to move (though if Betsy's parents move out here, we probably should),

Coming to the East Coast in that happenstance  are you?  ;D

~~~HIGH ALL CASH  OFFERS VIBES~~~~~~
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #123 on: October 11, 2005, 01:13:24 PM »

Tab Hunter is doing the book tour thing....sadly he is skipping over Portland, Oregon and going on up to Seattle instead  >:(

I wanted to meet him.

Tab's autobiography is one of the books waiting on my completion of THE MAN WHO INVENTED ROCK HUDSON.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

vixmom

« Reply #124 on: October 11, 2005, 01:14:16 PM »

Believe it or not...YES, IT IS! Carrot stick girl will be so happy.

;D ROTFLMAO!!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #125 on: October 11, 2005, 01:14:22 PM »

I don't think I've ever seen STAGE STRUCK all the way through, but wasn't it a remake of MORNING GLORY. And that movie just wouldn't make a lot of sense in the theater world of the 1950s.

vixmom

« Reply #126 on: October 11, 2005, 01:16:02 PM »

Well, Dear Readers all, I must mosey on out of here a bit early today... yippi ki yo ki ay

vixmom

« Reply #127 on: October 11, 2005, 01:16:30 PM »

oooh a DIE HARD reference!

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: October 11, 2005, 01:18:21 PM »

A very enjoyable episode of MEDIUM last night which I watched today. Yes, her psychic powers take such bizarre turns that one never knows where the show is going or how the manifestations of her powers are going to work themselves into the storylines.

But it's always fascinating.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: October 11, 2005, 01:19:45 PM »

I'll be seeing a production of SEUSSICAL on Saturday night. It will be my first time seeing the show.

Jason

« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2005, 01:21:53 PM »

An MTI tidbit for you:

Despite it's lacklustre reception on Broadway, Ahrens & Flaherty's SEUSSICAL was the number one selling show in our catalog in the year 2004 with over 300 productions across the country, beating out newer titles such as Disney's BEAUTY AND THE BEAST and classics such as GUYS & DOLLS, THE MUSIC MAN and ANNIE.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 01:24:02 PM by Jason »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2005, 01:25:43 PM »

Back from Staples and a lot of Xeroxing.  

Question: What would cause the hot water in the home environment to suddenly become MUCH MUCH hotter in the last day or two?  In other words, I've been using the hot water here for over a year and it's always been the same, so I know exactly where to turn the various knobs.  Two days ago I did that and the water was scalding hot, which it's never been before.

Matt H.

« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2005, 01:26:22 PM »

Went through the time tunnel this afternoon and watched the 1971 SHAFT.

My memories of it were fairly vague thinking maybe it was some kind of blackploitation film, but it's really just a crime drama with a black leading man. The writing for the character of Shaft impressed me, too, because unlike some of those blackploitation films from the 1970s where all white characters were bad and out to fleece the black characters, SHAFT presents equal opportunity good and bad characters of every ethnicity.

Most surprising was the easygoing relationship Shaft had with a gay bartender (played by Rex Robbins). No putdowns or sneering sarcasm with him. VERY forward-thinking for a 1971 crime drama, especially considering the way gay people are so casually offed in things like FREEBIE AND THE BEAN and THE LAUGHING POLICEMAN just a couple of years later.

Matt H.

« Reply #133 on: October 11, 2005, 01:30:44 PM »

An MTI tidbit for you:

Despite it's lacklustre reception on Broadway, Ahrens & Flaherty's SEUSSICAL was the number one selling show in our catalog in the year 2004 with over 300 productions across the country, beating out newer titles such as Disney's BEAUTY AND THE BEAST and classics such as GUYS & DOLLS, THE MUSIC MAN and ANNIE.

I believe you mentioned this several months ago, DR Jason, and I found that so fascinating that it's been THAT popular. (Though I guess ANNIE and OLIVER and other kid-oriented shows have been done to death).

The theater where I did LA CAGE is doing SEUSSICAL later this season, and I wanted to see if there was anything of interest for me in the show. Plus, I've never seen it before and would like to even if I don't feel I'm right for anything in it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 01:31:23 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2005, 01:34:15 PM »

Here's a question I've always wondered about.

Does the money that a show earns on its amateur rights go toward erasing its defecit if the show closed as a flop. For example, INTO THE WOODS' first Broadway production did not quite pay off, but it has to have made lots of money in the years since it became avaialble for licensing to other production companies. Do the investors of the original production share at all in the money INTO THE WOODS makes as a property now?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: October 11, 2005, 01:35:05 PM »

I shall now be on my way to rehearse, then meet with a lighting designer, then have a production meeting.  Somewhere in there I've got to eat something.

Jason

« Reply #136 on: October 11, 2005, 01:35:33 PM »

I just checked out computers - we had 648 booked productions of SEUSSICAL this year (2005). Only 342 of ANNIE.

Matt H.

« Reply #137 on: October 11, 2005, 01:38:17 PM »

Yes, very sorry to read about Louis Nye's death. Always found him very amusing on Steve Allen's old show. That entire line-up of "Man on the Street" folks: Tom Poston, Don Knotts, Louis Nye, Bill Dana were always so wonderful, so reliably funny.

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: October 11, 2005, 01:39:30 PM »

I just checked out computers - we had 648 booked productions of SEUSSICAL this year (2005). Only 342 of ANNIE.

Wow! That's amazing. Wonder if SEUSSICAL will have the staying power that ANNIE has had. Will be interesting to see.

Jason

« Reply #139 on: October 11, 2005, 01:41:36 PM »

Does the money that a show earns on its amateur rights go toward erasing its defecit if the show closed as a flop. For example, INTO THE WOODS' first Broadway production did not quite pay off, but it has to have made lots of money in the years since it became avaialble for licensing to other production companies. Do the investors of the original production share at all in the money INTO THE WOODS makes as a property now?

They only make money off the show once its in release if their lawyers have negotiated a portion of the royalties. I'm looking at a contract for INTO THE WOODS right now. As I count it, there are 9 royalty participants listed, including the producers of the original Broadway production. However, the percentages that Ms. Heidi Landesman makes off the show MIGHT buy her a couple of tanks of gas every year, whereas Mssrs. Sondheim & Lapine can make their living off the royalties of the show.

If a show financially flops on Broadway, I believe they cut their losses and write it off as a tax thing. And unless it's a huge hit, it is to be expected that a show will make more money in the regions and in amateur venues than it will in a commercial run on Broadway.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #140 on: October 11, 2005, 01:41:40 PM »

DR Jason - Should I stop by for a piece of carrot cake?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #141 on: October 11, 2005, 01:42:00 PM »

Question: What would cause the hot water in the home environment to suddenly become MUCH MUCH hotter in the last day or two?  In other words, I've been using the hot water here for over a year and it's always been the same, so I know exactly where to turn the various knobs.  Two days ago I did that and the water was scalding hot, which it's never been before.

The most likely answer is the thermostat on the hot water heater is either malfunctioning or got bumped somehow.  It's easy to fix if it got bumped.  Usually the thermostats are at the bottom of the hot water heater (sometimes you need to unscrew a little panel at the bottom to get to them).  They usually look like the old-style dial thermostats.  They should be set at around 140, depending on how hot you like your hot water.  If there's no way the thermostat could have gotten bumped or otherwise adjusted, you're probably going to need a new water heater within a few days.  They're fairly cheap (you can get a good one installed for under $300 if you shop around).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jason

« Reply #142 on: October 11, 2005, 01:42:45 PM »

Wow! That's amazing. Wonder if SEUSSICAL will have the staying power that ANNIE has had. Will be interesting to see.

Well, keep in mind that ANNIE is on tour now. Of all the applicants for that title, at least 1/3 were turned down.

Jason

« Reply #143 on: October 11, 2005, 01:43:31 PM »

DR Jason - Should I stop by for a piece of carrot cake?

;)

There is a little left, if you can imagine, but I'd say go for the German Chocolate. :)

And your BFF says hi! LOL

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #144 on: October 11, 2005, 01:43:48 PM »

If a show financially flops on Broadway, I believe they cut their losses and write it off as a tax thing.

That's exactly right, as my late Uncle "use Stephen Sondheim for a tax credit" Charlie would tell you.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: October 11, 2005, 01:44:51 PM »

I believe so.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: October 11, 2005, 01:50:10 PM »

As for the popularity of Seussical, it really doesn't surprise me.  The Dr. Seuss books are indeed timeless, and they are still selling quite well today, as well as continuing to be promoted by their publisher.

The Annie franchise seems to be dying it's natural near-death.  Yes, they keep mounting tour after tour, but the whole Little Orphan Annie "property" just isn't as visible as it used to be.  When the show originally came out, it was a great piece of nostalgia for the adults who grew up during the depression and their children (also adults).  Consequently, it became THE role that every young girl wanted to play.  But as the years have gone by - and just how long ago did the original Broadway production open - WOW!?!?! - it's popular popularity has dissapated.

I also think Annie may have reached another saturation point, like all shows do.  Lots and lots of productions, and then just a smattering for a while.  I remember that Into the Woods surge a few years ago, and then there was that onslaught of Annie Get Your Gun production during it's anniversary year - I think they were running a special.  ;)

We shall see what happens with Seussical over the years.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: October 11, 2005, 01:51:36 PM »

Could you be getting colder?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #148 on: October 11, 2005, 01:53:55 PM »

There is a little left, if you can imagine, but I'd say go for the German Chocolate. :)

And your BFF says hi! LOL

BFF - ???

Possibly BBF - ???

-I need to get outside and get some air, methinks.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #149 on: October 11, 2005, 01:55:50 PM »

JMK Good home vibes!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up