Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: APROPOS OF NOTHING  (Read 16896 times)

Ginny

Re:APROPOS OF NOTHING
« Reply #120 on: October 18, 2005, 01:58:45 PM »

Here for just a minute to say HI during my dinner hour.

TOD - WJR in Detroit, "from the golden tower of the Fisher Building."  When I was in high school and college, there was a much loved morning drive-time host named J. P. McCarthy.  The building also houses the Fisher Theatre, the Broadway tour house, and he would play the songs from whatever musical was playing at the time.  WJR also broadcasts University of Michigan football, and the late Bob Ufer was famous for his quite biased reporting of his beloved Mee-chigan.  Now one of the announcers is Jim Branstatter, who was a player when I was a student.  I like to go out in my car, the only place in SW Ohio where I can pick up 760AM, Detroit.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #121 on: October 18, 2005, 02:04:31 PM »

Well home I go to change and do laundry!! Laters!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jason

« Reply #122 on: October 18, 2005, 02:06:23 PM »

Here's a fun link to help you with your pumpkin carving skills...

http://www.liquidgeneration.com/sabotage/pumpkin_carve.asp

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #123 on: October 18, 2005, 02:10:20 PM »

One of my cousins sent me that pumpkin carving site....very "FUN"!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #124 on: October 18, 2005, 02:27:16 PM »

OK, I'm headed downstairs now to clean the living room and then settle in for a night of movies and TV.

My friend Jeff got the last of the boxes and furniture which he had been storing here out of my living room over the weekend, so this will be the first time in almost a year the room has been completely clear and able to be cleaned. I suspect I'll be in there longer than usual tonight.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #125 on: October 18, 2005, 03:26:50 PM »

Oh, my!  Checking the Lincoln Center website for what might be going on there the week of Jan. 16-22, I discovered "Barbara Cook at the Met," Friday evening, Jan. 20.  It's so-o-o-o tempting...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #126 on: October 18, 2005, 04:10:10 PM »

Ooh!  Ooh!

My DVD of "Batman Begins" has arrived!

Joy!

DR Matt H:  Gesundheit!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #127 on: October 18, 2005, 04:10:50 PM »

My friend Jeff got the last of the boxes and furniture which he had been storing here out of my living room over the weekend, so this will be the first time in almost a year the room has been completely clear and able to be cleaned. I suspect I'll be in there longer than usual tonight.

Yes, 'cause it's almost time for puttin' up the Chrimassy Tree!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #128 on: October 18, 2005, 04:10:54 PM »

I wonder how much white matter my sister had.

Jane

« Reply #129 on: October 18, 2005, 04:14:17 PM »

Our new neighbors, a lovely couple, stopped by for a visit just as I was about to go for a walk.  Currently they live in San Diego and it will be awhile before they design and then build their home.  

Off for the walk I have been attempting to take all day.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: October 18, 2005, 04:28:08 PM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?  We need some ACTION, some HA CHA CHA!  Let's not get complacent, all of a sudden.

Nice meeting at LACC, and I hired one of the graduating kids to be my assistant, both for Kevin's show, and for my play.  She's really on the ball, and very bright, so I'm very happy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #131 on: October 18, 2005, 05:07:33 PM »

I started the day watching some DVD TV. Unusual for me.  I did enjoy hearing 1812 overture played on a violin as tomato plant was growing. The chewing of a car tyre to flight of the bumble bee was also a classic.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #132 on: October 18, 2005, 05:08:15 PM »

Nine things that are very irritating:

1. People who point at their wrist while asking for the time.... I know where my watch is pal, where the hell is yours? Do I point at my crotch when I ask where the toilet is?

Actually, I do, and I have gotten many dates because of it.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #133 on: October 18, 2005, 05:12:58 PM »

Can I ask you a question?  Did the bus come yet?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #134 on: October 18, 2005, 05:13:20 PM »

THE AMAZING RACE and NIP/TUCK tonight!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #135 on: October 18, 2005, 05:14:30 PM »

I have the video version of SUPERMAN AND THE MOLE MEN, and it's very strange to see it (there are a few extra scenes) but mostly strange to hear it with different music.

alexpaige

• Lurking in the cafe's shadows...
« Reply #136 on: October 18, 2005, 05:32:32 PM »

I'd like to thank those who have welcomed me (back) to the site, thanx folks!

Apropos of nothing, I see I appear to be somewhat squished -- perhaps I've been flagged at 16x9, God help me.

I do note, however, that I also appear to have time-travelled back to 1992, thank God!!!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #137 on: October 18, 2005, 05:45:21 PM »

Ben Dublin is beautiful at Christmas time.  Don’t forget to go to Thornton’s Toffee and try their special toffee and their mint humbugs.  

DID SOMEONE SAY, "HUMBUG"?

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #138 on: October 18, 2005, 05:48:15 PM »

Chrimass is one of my favorite holidays!

FJL

« Reply #139 on: October 18, 2005, 05:52:46 PM »

Hmm.. With my busy tax season finally over, I tried to send out a sort of group email to let people know that the kritzerland site is up for Last Starfighter.  And I got bumped off completely.  We had to practically restart our AOL accounts, re-esrablishing passwords and such, and they said it was for our protection, because bulk emails are a sign that someone unauthorized might be using your account.  It wasn't really to all that many people, but I wonder what the magic number is that makes it a bulk email.    A real nuisance, but I guess they make it really difficult so that you'll never do it again.

FJL

« Reply #140 on: October 18, 2005, 05:56:24 PM »

TOD:  Favorite disc jockey during my formative years was Casey Kasem and his Top Ten countdown.  

Also liked the Video Jockey (VJ, in cable TV lingo)  A.J. Hammer on either VH1 or MTV, I'm fuzzy on which of those he was on, because i used to be hooked on both stations.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: October 18, 2005, 06:22:46 PM »

Just had a totally freaky thing happen.  I went over to my DVD store.  There was a parking space on the side street, so I turned around to take it.  The space was in front of another car.  Now, I have done that a million times in this particular space, but somehow I came up short when pulling in, and my back bumper somehow caught on the front bumper of the BMW that was parked there.  Now, I don't want to criticize BMW, but the BMW bumper practically was ripped off the car, taking a headlight with it.  I mean, are these things made of PAPER?  My rear bumper got pulled out a tiny bit, barely noticeable, and has a tiny scuff.  How is it possible???  In any case, I felt really bad.  I got some paper and started to write a note, but then the woman came out and I ended up giving her all my info and insurance stuff.  This is the first time in all my driving history that I have ever clipped a parked car, which is why I find the whole thing so weird.  I've done the pull-in move thousands of times, especially in that particular spot, so how I came up short I just cannot imagine or fathom.  But, at least my insurance will cover it, and I won't actually have to put out any dough, which is why we pay these large insurance premiums.  In fact, I have never filed an insurance claim in all the years I've been with Farmers.  I did have that experience where some woman on my street rammed into the side of my parked car, but her insurance paid for that.

So, I left a message with my insurance agent, and that should be that.  I could tell the gal was really nervous, but her friend told her that most people who might have done this would have just left and not even left a note.  I did whatever I could to make her comfortable, including showing her my license and insurance info and my phone numbers, so hopefully she's not freaking out too much.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #142 on: October 18, 2005, 06:34:18 PM »

Wait till someone she knows recognizes your name!  THE Bruce Kimmel!

Michael

« Reply #143 on: October 18, 2005, 06:48:05 PM »

So, I left a message with my insurance agent, and that should be that.  I could tell the gal was really nervous, but her friend told her that most people who might have done this would have just left and not even left a note.  I did whatever I could to make her comfortable, including showing her my license and insurance info and my phone numbers, so hopefully she's not freaking out too much.

Use it to your advantage. Contact the National Enquirer and tell them that the director of The First Nudie Musical was in a fender bender and then casually mention you were thinking about your new play that will open in January and your book Rewind.  :)
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #144 on: October 18, 2005, 07:17:17 PM »

alexpaig-LOL

FJL I’m glad you survived yesterday.

Bruce, good parking vibes.

On my flight home on United Airlines I indulged in the cinnamon cookies they offer as snacks.  I just called the cookie company and ordered some to be shipped here.  Then I ordered the sampler pack of all their cookies.  

‘night

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #145 on: October 18, 2005, 07:29:25 PM »

First Half of The Amazing Race Report - more of the same.  That is all.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #146 on: October 18, 2005, 07:45:20 PM »

Hmm.. With my busy tax season finally over, I tried to send out a sort of group email to let people know that the kritzerland site is up for Last Starfighter.  And I got bumped off completely.  We had to practically restart our AOL accounts, re-esrablishing passwords and such, and they said it was for our protection, because bulk emails are a sign that someone unauthorized might be using your account.  It wasn't really to all that many people, but I wonder what the magic number is that makes it a bulk email.    A real nuisance, but I guess they make it really difficult so that you'll never do it again.

FJL, the very same thing happened (repeatedly) to me when I sent bulk emails to the community choir I direct and arrange for.  Did you call AOL's TOS (Terms of Service) 800 number?  You can get yourself put on what they call a "white list" which allows you to send out bulk emails.  I threatened them mightily the last time it happened (after I was supposedly on the white list), and I ended up getting several free months of "service" (I use the term loosely--it is AOL, after all.   :) ).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #147 on: October 18, 2005, 08:00:53 PM »

Re: MEDIUM (no spoilers).

I do think the shows have been stronger this season. And I"m curious to know why.  Are they using real scenarios that happened to alison?  Or are they just trying to plan out things that are more detailed?

Her dreams have been much more interesting and hard to figure out.  That is good.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #148 on: October 18, 2005, 08:00:58 PM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?  We need some ACTION, some HA CHA CHA!  Let's not get complacent, all of a sudden.

You want "action"??  Today at work, they (the powers that be here at the library) released a 53-page "ORGANIZATION ANALYSIS" study that's been going on for a several months.  And what is recommended is that six...yes SIX administrative positions be eliminated!  But also recommended was that three of the positions actually be restructured (but at lower salaries than where they are now).  These six positions (which includes the number two position within the entire library!) are all "exempt" positions, meaning that they are not covered by our Staff Association (union-equivalent) contract.  Also, most (but not all) of those that have those jobs are close to retirement age, but I don't know if any of them actually ARE eligible to retire with full benefits.  I hope that they all get nice severance packages.

At this point, all the job eliminations are just "recommendations" and would have to be approved by the library board.  However, it's pretty likely that it'll happen.  I don't know how soon, though.  There's going to be a special open board meeting on Thursday where comments can be taken and the actual monthly board meeting will be a week from tomorrow.  They will probably make a decision at that time.  

I'm just glad that they mainly focused on the upper management and not us peons. :-\ It's sad that it's happening.  I know all of the people who are in those positions, but I understand the reasoning behind it.  The library will be able to save $250,000 per year...even after the new positions are created.

How's that for action? ::)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 08:02:22 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #149 on: October 18, 2005, 08:02:17 PM »

I just finished watching an old 1936 Monogram cheapie called BORN TO FIGHT...it starred Frankie Darrow and Kane Richmond.

I must say, Kane Richmond is THE most perfect specimen of masculine humanity I have ever laid my eyes on!

not only that,  but this....

He left films in 1948 to work, with great success, in the fashion industry...oh, if only I had been born 55 years earlier!

Unfortunately, of course, if I had then I'd be dead now.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 08:03:23 PM by MBarnum »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up