Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FULL SPEED AHEAD  (Read 23888 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:FULL SPEED AHEAD
« Reply #150 on: November 21, 2005, 03:48:53 PM »

Great pic, DR MATTH!  Looks like both of you were having a blast!

That was my reaction. :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2005, 03:50:31 PM »

As for Oprah's Favorite Things...

The whole surprise twist concerning the audience was kind of neat, although, I could not help thinking about all the other selfless individuals who gave their time and money to help those affected by Hurricane Katrina who could not be a part of the Oprah audience.

Yes, there were some pretty extravagant "prizes" this year, but it actually didn't seem as overblown as in past years - at least in the final dollar count.  The items ranged in price from $25 to $1600.

And, as always, I always feel sort of "sorry" for the few men in the audience who get all that "girly" stuff.   ;)  However, it is "Oprah's Favorite Things" not "Steadman's Favorite Things".  But, I guess with the vouchers for some of the companies, the men could get the male equivalent of some of the items.  Or just give some of the items away to the special women in his life.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2005, 03:52:40 PM »

...And part of my laundry today was my own bed linens including the duvet cover for my down comforter... Hmm... Should be a good night's sleep tonight.

:)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 03:53:36 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2005, 03:53:13 PM »

Jose congratulations on your weight loss.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #154 on: November 21, 2005, 04:03:03 PM »

Jose congratulations on your weight loss.

Thanks.  Now if I can just make it through Thanksgiving Day - and weekend... And then Christmas.

Again, I've basically just cut out "overt" sugar and white flour.  I'm also eating more frequently throughout the day - three substantial meals, and two good snacks.  Keeping the blood-sugar levels constant throughout the day.  -I'm digging those pre-packed "handfuls" of almonds from Trader Joe's.  I have to say, the rehearsal schedule has also helped to keep me on schedule meal-wise.  And watching our very athletic ensemble men working each day has also provided some motivation so to speak.  -We have a former Olympic gymnast in the cast!

And I'm still "enjoying" the challenge of resisting the "goodies".  And I'm also enjoying cooking again on a regular basis.

The true challenge will be once the show opens, and I just have to be at the theatre for the show each evening (or day for the matinees).  Must not get lazy!  But I think the more I post "publicly" about my progress here on HHW, the more I'll be motivated to keep going, and keep the weight off.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 04:03:27 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #155 on: November 21, 2005, 04:14:07 PM »

OH!

Saturday night, I met my friend, Andy, at Tysons Corner for dinner.  We ended up at Slade's.  The meal was OK, but the dining experience left a lot to be desired.  Spotty service, and the kitchen seemed to be having timing issues all around.  The three tables around us had to send one or two items back to the kitchen for some reason or other.  Myself, I was quoted the wrong price initially for the swordfish special, the server then got the whole "which side order, salad was included or not" deal wrong, they started clearing off the table while we were getting up to leave, "Excuse me.", etc., etc., etc.

Alas, I think all the good servers and cooks probably jumped ship and went over to the four new restaurants in the new wing that had recently opened at Tysons.  It is now the largest shopping center in the DC Metro area.  And the new wing is a beauty: movie theatres (finally!), four new restaurants (including an outpost of Iron Chef's Morimoto "casual line"), some great new shops (West Elm!), and a third(!) food court for the mall (including a Cold Stone Creamery).

It really does look wonderful, and at 9:30 Saturday night, the place was hopping!  However, I have to wonder how crazy it's going to get during the height of holiday shopping season - especially the car traffic in and out of the shopping center.  Even on Saturday night, the timing of the lights off the main road into the shopping center were not timed with the traffic lights that were in(!) the shopping center.   Lots of near accidents already.  But at least they added a new five-level parking deck.

;-\

www.shoptysons.com
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2005, 04:19:06 PM »

And has any DR been to one of those Ruehl stores? Apparently, they're one of the new premium jeans companies.  The store is very interesting.  First of all, the facade looks like a brick townhouse - right in the mall! - complete with a cast iron fence and windows.  Then once you walk inside, the dimly lit rooms make it seem that you are in some expensive home.  All the rooms are painted black, and there's even artwork stacked along the central hallway. There's even a fireplace and a lounge with a big couch where you can rest for a while.

...And I just checked out their website... besides a very provocative picture and store listing, there doesn't seem to be any other information.  -At least I can't find anything to click on to bring me to another page.

www.ruehl.com
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2005, 04:21:48 PM »

Ah... Ruehl is another spin-off "concept" of Abercrombie & Fitch.  I suspected that it might.  Thank you, Google.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2005, 04:22:16 PM »

OK - Off to the post office and Trader Joe's.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2005, 04:25:02 PM »

Congrats on the weight loss, DRJOSE.  I am still on my way down as well and hope for another 20 or so.  205 is nice but 185 would be great!

Salmon on salad...hmmmm......I must try that.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #160 on: November 21, 2005, 04:26:10 PM »

OMG two ninth graders just won $100,000 on Wheel of Fortune.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #161 on: November 21, 2005, 04:26:58 PM »

No fancy pants jeans for me - if they cost more than 19.95, to me they're overpriced!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #162 on: November 21, 2005, 04:28:00 PM »

Just got an email from Sharleen with the subject "I have just discovered the best mitigating global"

I am happy for her.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #163 on: November 21, 2005, 04:43:20 PM »

Only about two hours until MEDIUM comin' at ya in 3-D!!!

td

• td
« Reply #164 on: November 21, 2005, 05:07:26 PM »

I took a dvd out of the library today.
SHAUN OF THE DEAD.
I must say I laughed my a** off! (now I'm ten pounds lighter).  ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #165 on: November 21, 2005, 05:13:19 PM »

SHAUN OF THE DEAD.

I would be even luckier!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #166 on: November 21, 2005, 05:48:50 PM »

I am sure that Jane will consider this story to be a sign from above.  After work, I stopped by the supermarket, bravely fighting my way through all of the Thanksgiving shoppers.  When I got home, I turned into the driveway, but half way up the hill I had to stop.  Standing in the middle of the driveway, glaring at me, was a huge "live" turkey.  I flashed my lights, I honked the horn, I rattled the bag of stuffing -- Nothing!  It continued to advance on my car.  Finally I backed out into the street and went up the back way.  After I parked my car, I went over to the driveway where the turkey was still standing guard, this time blocking one of my neighbors from leaving the complex.  My neighbor said that the damn bird had been wandering around all day and that she had already called the Humane Society.  They told her that a turkey is a wild bird, and they could do nothing about it.  I went in the house and called the Zoo, which is only a block and a half from my house.  According to the Zoo, they were aware of the bird, it didn't belong to them, and they didn't plan to do anything about it.

I think I may eat nothing but salad on Thursday.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 05:49:48 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #167 on: November 21, 2005, 06:07:48 PM »

SHAUN OF THE DEAD.

Funny, funny movie ;D

JRand how much have you lost now?  

Ginny

« Reply #168 on: November 21, 2005, 06:10:04 PM »

Good evening!  Taking DR Jason's advice, I just purchased (at a slight discount through Playbill.com) aisle orchestra seats for Jonathan Pryce's opening night (January 17) in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.  That is how DH Richard and I will celebrate our actual 25th wedding anniversary!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #169 on: November 21, 2005, 06:13:14 PM »

TCB I am so happy.  Good for that turkey. :D

Keith asked if it was a male turkey as they are more aggressive.  We haven’t had a problem with ours even when Keith is chasing them away.  ;D

Jane

« Reply #170 on: November 21, 2005, 06:14:32 PM »

Ginny, how nice.  :) I had wanted to see the play while I was in NY, just couldn’t find the time.

Ginny

« Reply #171 on: November 21, 2005, 06:17:42 PM »

Ginny, how nice.  :) I had wanted to see the play while I was in NY, just couldn’t find the time.

Well, Jane, you and Keith could fly to NY and we could "double date."
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

td

• td
« Reply #172 on: November 21, 2005, 06:19:19 PM »

I have up to fifty wild turkeys in the back yard during the fall and winter. . .still, we eat turkey, still we sometimes have a shot of Wild Turkey. . .Thursday will be no different, I'm sure.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who found SHAUN OF THE DEAD to be so funny. . . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

« Reply #173 on: November 21, 2005, 06:28:21 PM »

TCB, Keith here.

You’ll never know true fear until you’ve stood your ground against 14 wild turkeys with nothing between you and them but a leaf blower!  They do look pretty, however, with their feathers blowing in the breeze.

Jane

« Reply #174 on: November 21, 2005, 06:32:56 PM »

Ginny I would love that & I’m sure Keith would enjoy your company.  Just one little problem, Keith doesn't like NYC.  Only once has he taken me to the city unrelated to work or family, shortly after we moved to New Jersey from California.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 06:33:24 PM by Jane »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #175 on: November 21, 2005, 06:33:22 PM »

Congrats on the weight loss, DRJOSE.  I am still on my way down as well and hope for another 20 or so.  205 is nice but 185 would be great!

Salmon on salad...hmmmm......I must try that.

I'll race ya'!!

;)

As for the salmon... Well, instead of a salad I went ahead and put the salmon on top of some brown rice, with some steamed broccoli on the side.  Oh, and I poured a little bit of Trader Joe's Shiitake & Sesame Vinaigrette on top.  YUMMY!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #176 on: November 21, 2005, 06:34:59 PM »

Well, since I did four loads of laundry today, I now have to fold four loads of laundry...

Can't you just sense the excitement in the air?

:P
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #177 on: November 21, 2005, 06:46:42 PM »

I'm eating at my desk today.

LOL. I thought you said I'm eating my desk today!!! Oh my, it's  been a longer day than i thought!

Cillaliz

« Reply #178 on: November 21, 2005, 06:54:55 PM »

I am sure that Jane will consider this story to be a sign from above.  After work, I stopped by the supermarket, bravely fighting my way through all of the Thanksgiving shoppers.  When I got home, I turned into the driveway, but half way up the hill I had to stop.  Standing in the middle of the driveway, glaring at me, was a huge "live" turkey.  I flashed my lights, I honked the horn, I rattled the bag of stuffing -- Nothing!  It continued to advance on my car.  Finally I backed out into the street and went up the back way.  After I parked my car, I went over to the driveway where the turkey was still standing guard, this time blocking one of my neighbors from leaving the complex.  My neighbor said that the damn bird had been wandering around all day and that she had already called the Humane Society.  They told her that a turkey is a wild bird, and they could do nothing about it.  I went in the house and called the Zoo, which is only a block and a half from my house.  According to the Zoo, they were aware of the bird, it didn't belong to them, and they didn't plan to do anything about it.

I think I may eat nothing but salad on Thursday.

LOL What a wonderful story!!! We have wild turkeys around Sioux City, but I've never had one in my driveway....

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #179 on: November 21, 2005, 06:55:32 PM »

TCB I am so happy.  Good for that turkey. :D

Keith asked if it was a male turkey as they are more aggressive.  We haven’t had a problem with ours even when Keith is chasing them away.  ;D

Jane, I hate to sound like a city slicker, but I wouldn't know a male turkey from a female, even if we do have the same name.

And you can tell Keith, that you don't know fear until you find yourself paying respects in a cemetery at dusk, and suddenly realize that you are not only the only person left in the entire cemetery, but that there is a full grown wolf standing between you and your car.  That is fear!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 07:39:30 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up