Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: GOBBLE GOBBLE  (Read 19911 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:GOBBLE GOBBLE
« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2005, 12:13:36 PM »

And one for Mahler!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2005, 12:16:23 PM »

I haven't had any really memorable Thanksgiving Days.  They've all been pretty much the same format.  Everyone get together, eat, play some games.  Just the close family.  My mom is from Germany and my dad's two sisters are in California.  I don't know about his two living brothers.  

Anyway, I must now be off.  I have to shower, dress appropriately and go to my sister's to help her set up.  Our parents are coming over at about 4:00.  I'll check in when I'm there, but until then, Happy Eating! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2005, 12:19:04 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well...

Since my father is not that interested in the football games today, he's decided to pull out the karaoke machine...

:-\

I think I'd rather have the football game in the background.

...Oh, he's practicing his Christmas songs...  "Blue Christmas" a la Elvis...

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2005, 12:25:44 PM »

DRJOSE when is his CD coming out?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2005, 12:26:34 PM »

As for the Apple Store...

The newest thing is the Video iPod.  But since you already have an iPod, then maybe upgrading to the new OS would be the next thing in line.

After doing some web investigating, it seems that the sales will be also also available via Apple's website tomorrow.

The feast after the feast.

I found a site listing what last year's specials were.

Last Year's Sale Items.

No MAJOR deals, but some nice discounts - a couple of dollars here, a couple of dollars there.

-And according to the Apple website, any items bought tomorrow via the site will be shipped for free.  So, I may just log in after midnight - or whenever the sale begins and see what's on special.  I'm still on the fence about getting an iPod, but if the sale is good enough, well, I might be persuaded.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2005, 12:28:01 PM »

DRJOSE when is his CD coming out?

:-X

And now, Ladies and Gentlemen... "Feelings"

:-X

I guess this may turn out to be a memorable Thanksgiving after all...
:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2005, 12:32:02 PM »

One of the PBS affiliates here in the DC area is broadcasting some of the programs from their pledge drives from the past year - including the pledge breaks!  "Welcome back to our Spring pledge drive..."  Spring?!?!?

However, they're in the middle of "Broadway's Lost Treasures, Vol. 3"... And that's masking the karaoke.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2005, 12:43:43 PM »

Hmmm.....  MR ED just gave us the true story of Thanksgiving.  Beaver helped Richard do his laundry.  And the Douglas family is under the mistaken impression that Steve is marrying a hot young blonde from the office.

WHMB - Channel 40 - Indiana's finest Religious Broadcasting Station.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2005, 12:44:32 PM »

LOL....if your father doesn't have enough material for a solo CD - my dad can play some C/W standards to fill it out!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2005, 12:52:23 PM »

LOL....if your father doesn't have enough material for a solo CD - my dad can play some C/W standards to fill it out!

Just have his people call his people.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2005, 01:08:17 PM »

A Christmas Memory - I guess that's NOT a Thanksgiving story is it?

No, it isn't, but Capote wrote "A Thanksgiving Visitor" with the character of Miss Sook in it again, and it was filmed, too. Geraldine Page won another Emmy for it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2005, 01:12:48 PM »

But at the bottom it also mentions that Threshold was cancelled too:

In other departure news, E! Online television columnist Kristin Veitch reported Wednesday that CBS has pulled the plug on freshman sci-fi series Threshold. The show ran a distant third in its time slot on Tuesday night.

Well, looks like I predicted this 24 hours before it happened. Just call me Allison the Medium.  :)

I'm not happy for the series ending, BTW. I did watch the first five episodes before I lost interest.

Matt H.

« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2005, 01:15:10 PM »

I read earlier this week that NBC Universal is pulling the plug on the Trio cable channel. This is the network that ran old pilots and short run series under the "Brilliant But Canceled" banner. They often had other worthwhile shows on there, too. I will miss it.

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2005, 01:16:36 PM »

I didn't get around to SPANGLISH this afternoon nor CHARLIE BROWN.

I started off with VERONICA MARS, an interesting mystery of the week for Veronica to solve plus inching, tiny baby steps toward to revelation of the perp of the bus accident.

Matt H.

« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2005, 01:17:42 PM »

Then, a very exciting and infuriating LAW & ORDER which had a brilliant lawyer manipulating the criminal justice system. The ending was especially harrowing.

Matt H.

« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2005, 01:20:12 PM »

Most of the afternoon was taken by a 90 minute American Masters biography of Rod Serling. This was done in 1995, but somehow I had never seen it. Lots of facts about his life and interviews with many, many people he worked with during his career. Sadly, so many of them like John Frankenheimer are no longer with us.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 01:20:51 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2005, 01:22:17 PM »

I am furious. The NBC station isn't even bothering to show JOEY and WILL & GRACE during the early morning hours. They're just preempting them flat out. They'll be rerun, of course, but why not preempt the reruns and let the original broadcasts go out as planned?

I fired off a dissatisfied note to the local station in protest.

Matt H.

« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2005, 01:47:21 PM »

OK, I'm off now to read a little bit and then CHARLIE BROWN and SPANGLISH.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: November 24, 2005, 02:19:50 PM »

What in tarnation IS a video iPod???

I had to go meet David Wechter at Mel's Diner to pick up the DVD we did the other night.  He and his bro and kids were having lunch, so I had a sandwich, too, something I rarely do on Thanksgiving.  BUTT - Mel's Diner was PACKED.  I've never seen anything like it - at 1:30 people stuffing themselve silly when you know that three hours later they will be eating a HUGE Thanksgiving dinner.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #109 on: November 24, 2005, 02:52:31 PM »

What in tarnation IS a video iPod???

Well, I'm sure if you click on www.apple.com, you'll find out what a video iPod is.  In the meantime...

The latest iPod models - which seem to come out every six months at this point (anyone see the SNL spoof the other night?) - have the capability to play video clips now - as well as storing pics and music.  You can even download iPod-friendly versions of certain TV shows like "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives" from the iTunes store.  Some movies are also in the works - I know you get can "Clue" for your cell phones, now, so...

They come in 30G and 60G models, black or white, and if you order them online, you can get custom laser engraving for free.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2005, 02:54:49 PM »

I had to go meet David Wechter at Mel's Diner to pick up the DVD we did the other night.  He and his bro and kids were having lunch, so I had a sandwich, too, something I rarely do on Thanksgiving.  BUTT - Mel's Diner was PACKED.  I've never seen anything like it - at 1:30 people stuffing themselve silly when you know that three hours later they will be eating a HUGE Thanksgiving dinner.

I'm always amazed at the number of restaurants that stay open on Thanksgiving AND are packed.  Heck, even McDonald's does pretty good business on Turkey Day.

While walking around Georgetown last night, there were numerous restaurants with signs in their windows proclaiming they would be open today for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.  And with the movie theatres down there, I'm sure those places will get a decent amount of business today.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2005, 02:56:21 PM »

BK - Or CLICK HERE
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2005, 03:10:50 PM »

I'm back from a terrific dinner with Mr Skip Kennon, DRFJL, and some lovely guests.  There was one unfortunate moment involving a bitch fight over food that became so vicious water had to be thrown on the combatants to bring it to a halt.  Other than this social gaffe, the afternoon was quite festive, the food was excellent, and the company exceptional.  And the things you learn!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2005, 03:13:25 PM »

DR elmore - Sounds like a great dinner?  Did you bring a dry change of clothes with you?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2005, 03:15:04 PM »

I so hope the Four legged guests were not part of the bitch fight over food.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2005, 03:16:08 PM »

LOL DR Jose.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #116 on: November 24, 2005, 03:42:15 PM »

I'm always amazed at the number of restaurants that stay open on Thanksgiving AND are packed.  Heck, even McDonald's does pretty good business on Turkey Day.

While walking around Georgetown last night, there were numerous restaurants with signs in their windows proclaiming they would be open today for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.  And with the movie theatres down there, I'm sure those places will get a decent amount of business today.

Not everyone likes turkey ::) or the hassle of cooking a big meal...or certain family members. ;)

Jason

« Reply #117 on: November 24, 2005, 03:42:33 PM »

Happy Turkey Day...erm...Evening!

I did, indeed, hie myself to the Zoo to celebrate the holiday, and what a day it was. I really think this was one of my best Thanksgivings, even without the family and food. It was so relaxing to be there. I practically had the place to myself. With the exception of some of the bigger rainforest animals (gorillas, okapi, etc.), all the animals were out enjoying the coolish weather. It was a little creepy at first to be in the zoo by myself, but after a while I realized that I was free to hang out wherever I wanted without being rushed or pushed and I could take my time with whatever exhibits I wanted to see. It was really great - I hung out at the tiger exhibit for about half an hour just watching them. A few people were frustrated because they weren't doing anything, but I just waited and as soon as the others left, they all got up and started stretching and playing and came right up to the glass so I could get their pictures, like they were waiting to do a show just for me.

I have to say, being 2 inches from a Bengal tiger (you're only separated by a panel of glass) is one of the most incredible feelings in the world. They're massive, beautiful animals and to be so close to them was exhilarating. And, of course, I have pictures...

Jason

« Reply #118 on: November 24, 2005, 03:45:28 PM »

I didn't even have to zoom in for this shot...he really was this close to me!

Jason

« Reply #119 on: November 24, 2005, 03:46:37 PM »

Here's one of the females - she needed a good stretch. :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up