Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: AT ONE WITH ONE  (Read 23208 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:AT ONE WITH ONE
« Reply #120 on: November 26, 2005, 06:50:08 PM »

...And after my fourth(!) attempt at installing the memory card... I knew it had to "snap" in, but I just didn't realize how "hard" it had to snap in...  But I finally installed it properly, and then I proceeded to upgrade my OS.  And that took another hour... And then I started trying out some of the new "widgets" - very cool!...  And then my headache was still aching, so... And by then it was already way past my bed time... So...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #121 on: November 26, 2005, 06:50:36 PM »

Yes you do, DRGEORGE.....Robby Benson is in it.  I had forgotten that it was musicalized....did it even get to the stage?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #122 on: November 26, 2005, 06:51:43 PM »

SNAP!

Our son is dead.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #123 on: November 26, 2005, 07:02:13 PM »

I’m back from the thee’ah-tur on this chilly November day less than 30 days before Christmas.

The bill of fare was “Irving Berlin’s ‘White Christmas’” and what a grand spectacle it all was.

It was tuneful, beautiful, spectacular and a fine tribute to the 1954 Paramount film of the same name.

The set design was unbelievably gorgeous and sets changed so often I cannot imagine the complexity of it all.  The changes were noiseless, almost all done in total darkness.

The music was classic Berlin:  “Happy Holiday,” “Let Yourself Go,” “Love and the Weather,” “Sisters,” “The Best Things Happen While You’re Dancing,” “Snow”, “What Do You Do With A General?”, “Let Me Sing and I’m Happy,” “Count Your Blessings,” “Blue Skies,” “I Love A Piano,” “Falling Out of Love Can Be Fun,” “Sisters” (Reprise w/the boys), “Love, You Didn’t Do Right By Me/How Deep Is the Ocean?” (nightclub sequence on a set that totally blew me away!!!), “We’ll Follow the Old Man,” “Let Me Sing and I’m Happy (Reprise), “How Deep is the Ocean” (Reprise), “We’ll Follow the Old Man” (Reprise), “White Christmas”, and for the Finale, “I’ve Got My Love to Keep Me Warm.”

“Let Yourself Go,” “I Love A Piano” and the "Finale" were full-blown extended ensemble numbers with some of the finest tapping I’ve had the pleasure of seeing.  The choreography by Randy Skinner was wonderful.

The costumes were all 50s kitsch...and you’d swear Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen wore nothing snazzier than their counterparts in this show.

The plot is fairly faithful to the film, but the general’s granddaughter Susan is a 9-year-old visiting from California because she’s never seen snow!  The general’s housekeeper, Martha, is no Mary Wickes.  No, she’s a former showstopper herself and wrangles her way into Phil and Bob’s show all the while eavesdropping and jumping to Wickesian conclusions.  

Susan Mansur plays Martha and she’s terrific.  A HUGE voice and a heaping helping of charisma explode onstage every time she’s on.

Husband-wife performers Graham Rowat and Kate Baldwin play the Crosby-Clooney roles.  Both have big voices.  Baldwin really sells “Love You Didn’t Do Right By Me” and Rowat is fine, with a “trained” voice that gets in the way too often for my tastes.  (To me, it’s as if he has a certain note he loves to hit and every time he hits it, it's extended and booming, but it’s seldom the note that “ought” to be accentuated.  It’s a self-conscious voice, and I hate to say it, but Baldwin indulges in that self-consciousness a few times, too).

Not so the Kaye-Ellen counterparts.  THE spectacular male performer in this show is Mark Ledbetter.  He’s a hoofer, a singer with a great voice (a great interpretive singer who lets the song be sung) and he exudes more energy than just about anybody except Mansur who has less stage time.  Shannon O’Bryan is Judy Haynes and she’s a Vera-Ellen look-alike, physically (from the Loge, at any rate), with a good voice and plenty of hoofing talent.

Ledbetter was front-and-center in both big ensemble numbers and had some good moments with O’Bryan and Howat, as well.  To me, he was the standout performer in the company.

I’ve never been fond of the framing for the story...the sappy front-lines stuff and the later “because we love him, we love him...” stuff.  Somebody fetch me an insulin sucret!

And the character development is nominal...we “know” these characters from the movie, so we get more songs and dances than we do dialogue (which is a pure-tee blessing since it’s all rooted in 1954 idiom).

The overall production, though, is splendiferous, and director Walter Bobbie has gotten everything to work...and it’s all magic, with the added Finale surprise of snow blowing out onto the audience for a reprise of "White Christmas."

A VERY enjoyable, delightful entertainment!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Tomovoz

« Reply #124 on: November 26, 2005, 07:02:55 PM »

"The Chosen" - Rod Steiger, Maximilian Schell (1981)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #125 on: November 26, 2005, 07:05:02 PM »

OOOOOOOH!  The Northwest Jailbreak is on the news here!  Run for cover, Dear Readers!  Anyone running east is welcome to stay here with me!

DR Macchus, I perused the Klugman book at Borders this evening, saw your picture!

Watched a bit of the TV pilot of STATE FAIR. . .I remember Tim O'Connor from PEYTON PLACE, but can't recall where I've seen Mitch Vogel. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #126 on: November 26, 2005, 07:05:22 PM »

DR GEORGE I have scrutinized those pictures of the marquee, but I cannot find DR JOSE's name anywhere.  He'd better check the billing clause in his contract!

While he's checking the billing clause, you check the sanity clause.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #127 on: November 26, 2005, 07:05:54 PM »

DR Jose,
I did talk to Mark tonight about the dog situation. He said he would think about it. I know James would take Hildy, but I don't know if Mark wants to have two dogs just now...I promised I would babysit when needed, I could handle the allergies for a few days!

We shall see what happens.

td

• td
« Reply #128 on: November 26, 2005, 07:07:16 PM »

There's no such thing as Santy Clause!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2005, 07:09:57 PM »

"The Chosen" - Rod Steiger, Maximilian Schell (1981)

Ooops....wrong chosen.  You can imagine my embarrassment!  :-[

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2005, 07:11:31 PM »

DR td beat me to that response.  

Thanks for the WHITE CHRISTMAS review!  It sounds like just my cup of java!  ;D

1954 - not such a bad year!

td

• td
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2005, 07:13:22 PM »

DR td beat me to that response.  

Usually, I charge for that, for you, it's free.   ;)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #132 on: November 26, 2005, 07:16:25 PM »

Ooops....wrong chosen.  You can imagine my embarrassment!  :-[

No, you're right.  Robbie Benson, Maximilian Schell, Rod Steiger...click HERE for the IMBd listing.

I never knew that this had been musicalized.  Does anyone know who wrote it?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #133 on: November 26, 2005, 07:16:58 PM »

I’m back from the thee’ah-tur on this chilly November day less than 30 days before Christmas.

The bill of fare was “Irving Berlin’s ‘White Christmas’” and what a grand spectacle it all was...............................

......................A VERY enjoyable, delightful entertainment!

Ron, is this production a pre-Broadway tryout?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #134 on: November 26, 2005, 07:18:17 PM »

OOOOOOOH!  The Northwest Jailbreak is on the news here!  Run for cover, Dear Readers!  Anyone running east is welcome to stay here with me!

DR Macchus, I perused the Klugman book at Borders this evening, saw your picture!

Watched a bit of the TV pilot of STATE FAIR. . .I remember Tim O'Connor from PEYTON PLACE, but can't recall where I've seen Mitch Vogel. . .

For a bit - Mitch Vogel played an orphan who lived on the Ponderosa with the Cartwright boys.  8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #135 on: November 26, 2005, 07:19:06 PM »

Usually, I charge for that, for you, it's free.   ;)

The only PERK I have enjoyed lately, that's fer shur!  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #136 on: November 26, 2005, 07:19:43 PM »

No, you're right.  Robbie Benson, Maximilian Schell, Rod Steiger...click HERE for the IMBd listing.

I never knew that this had been musicalized.  Does anyone know who wrote it?

Robby Benson was always so damned SINCERE!  He was Honestly Sincere...honest!  ;D

Tomovoz

« Reply #137 on: November 26, 2005, 07:22:40 PM »

Book by Meltzer.  Score by Philip Springer/Mitchell Bernard
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #138 on: November 26, 2005, 07:24:17 PM »

I just don't quite get it.  But someone had an idea, no doubt!  8)

George

« Reply #139 on: November 26, 2005, 07:24:20 PM »

Ron, is this production a pre-Broadway tryout?

It's one of THREE productions of the very same show!  There are separate productions in Boston, San Francisco and Los Angeles.  All were directed by Walter Bobbie and they all rehearsed at the same time!

Click HERE for the official White Christmas website.  It also has a section for all three casts.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

td

• td
« Reply #140 on: November 26, 2005, 07:24:27 PM »

Whew! Not only did I see Mitch Vogel hangin' around the Ponderosa, I saw him with Grandpa Walton (Will Geer) and Steve McQueen in THE REIVERS on the big screen a long, long time ago!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #141 on: November 26, 2005, 07:24:38 PM »

DR Ron Pulliam - Thanks for the review of White Christmas.  A friend of mine is the assistant conductor for the Los Angeles production (which stars the original San Francisco leads from last year), and he was amazed that they were able to rehearse all three companies concurrently in NYC a few weeks ago.  -And, yes, there was some "intrigue" involved too.  ;)

In any case...

Kate and Graham met while they were both in 1776 at Ford's Theatre here in DC.  -I was in the pit for the last part of that run.  She played Martha Jefferson, and he was Richard Henry Lee.  Good folks.  And Kate was also my Nellie Forbush in South Pacific at Arena Stage, as well as the Helen in the concert presentation of The Golden Apple that DR elmore assisted with a few months ago.  -Oh, and Kate and Graham got married the day before they started rehearsals for White Christmas. -Now that's a honeymoon!  ;)

Who was in the pit?  I can't remember if Rob Berman was heading out on the road this time round, or if he was just the Musical Supervisor for the three companies.

...And next year, they are "hoping" to have 10(!) companies of White Christmas playing around the country.  That's a lot of "theatre snow"!
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #142 on: November 26, 2005, 07:25:49 PM »

DR François is still unable to log on to HHW.. He has no problem with other sites!
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2005, 07:26:23 PM »

Never heard of any of them. :-\

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #144 on: November 26, 2005, 07:26:35 PM »

I watched IN OLD CHICAGO last night....the 115 minute Road Show version.  I hadn't seen it since watching it on the late show MANY MANY years ago.  I might watch the 95 minute version to see what's gone...  Can't imagine what they took out, unless they shortened some of the musical numbers.   Fun movie!  Tyrone Power was so very handsome....and his physique made Alice Faye look fat!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #145 on: November 26, 2005, 07:28:03 PM »

Never heard of any of them. :-\

They prolly never heard of us either!  ;)

George

« Reply #146 on: November 26, 2005, 07:28:07 PM »

I'll be back.  I have to go to my sister's for a while.  Fortunately, we live next door to each other. :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #147 on: November 26, 2005, 07:28:29 PM »

DR François is still unable to log on to HHW.. He has no problem with other sites!

Can he try a different browser?  8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #148 on: November 26, 2005, 07:28:58 PM »

Time for a shower AND MAD Tv!!!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #149 on: November 26, 2005, 07:32:20 PM »

The two monorail trains in downtown Seattle just collided.  Tomovoz - is that still on your list of attractions?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up