Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: EAR READERS  (Read 23660 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:EAR READERS
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2005, 09:11:47 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  All this talk of yummilcious snacks makes me want to have a yummilicious snack.  But, I shall be strong.  As soon as I shake off my sleep and grogginess, I'll finish writing what I have to write.  

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2005, 09:11:55 AM »

As a general rule, I don't read other film critics to validate my own feelings. I'm secure enough in myself to know what I liked and didn't like about something. But it IS interesting to read other points of view IF those viewpoints are supported by knowledge of movie history and an ability to express one's feelings specifically about the work at hand.

I do think it's helpful to find a critic who sees films in a similar way to myself (no one is ever going to agree 100% of the time) when I'm on the fence about whether to spend hard earned money going to a theater. And I'll read quite a lot of critical commentaries before I make a decision about MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA, for example.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2005, 09:14:47 AM »

Re: last night's DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES.

SPOILERS

I really liked last night's show.  My favorite storyline was Bree's.  I really liked it.  Hopefully we will be rid of George.  What an ending!  My second favorite was Gabrielle. I think the storyline with the nun will be quite entertaining. And it's very funny to see Carlos religious.  And next week's preview said the nun wants him to go to Botswana to do charitable work! My third favorite story was Lynette. This was good, but not nearly as good as the others.  And I agree with DR MattH, the Susan storyline did nothing for me.  Also, again another episode without Alfre and son.  And I must say, I seem to prefer these episodes.  

I am very curious to see what will happen with Bree.  I happen to catch Roger Bart (George) on GMA this morning. And they were asking him if he was gone, if Bree would be blamed ...  Very interesting.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2005, 09:16:31 AM »

Someone handed me a UPS "InfoNotice" about 30 minutes ago.

It informed me that UPS  attempted to deliver 4 packages on Wednesday and that a second and final attempt would be made on Friday.

WRONG!

First, three of the packages were not shipped UNTIL Wednesday.  One package DUE for delivery on Wednesday was NOT delivered.

A phone call revealed the attempt was made on Friday, Nov. 25 (not Nov. 26) and that a second attempt would be made today (not last Friday).  Would I be available to accept delivery?

Yes. I'm free.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2005, 09:17:49 AM »

My first bow to the holidays was made a few moments ago when I mailed six packages to six female relations.

I hope they like this year's holiday pins.

My Christmas cards will go out tomorrow or Wednesday.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2005, 09:18:40 AM »

Of course, my ABSOLUTE BEST WISHES for a WARM and FESTIVE HOLIDAY SEASON go out to each and every one of you now and in the future!

That includes non-posting lurkers.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2005, 09:23:21 AM »

SPOILER .... or

POTENTIAL SPOILER....

I concur wholeheartedly with the positive assessments of last night's "Desperate Housewives."  The Bree-George story line did take an interesting turn.  Oddly, I found George's singing voice rather pleasant!  I wanted to hear the whole medley whether Bree did or not.

I think the writers were wise not to cram too much into this story line....sustaining too many threads doesn't work as well in only a one-hour time slot.  Perhaps the Alfre Woodard story line will take an interesting twist in the future.  Her considerable talents have certainly been well wasted, thus far.

I was glad to see a Susan story line free of Mike, her daughter and her mother.  She remains my favorite "housewife" on the show, but only the writers can bring her to vivid life.  This season, they've not done much for her.

I really loved the scene with all the wives playing cards and Edie stating what needed to be said about Susan's plan to get to know her father.

I find myself not-too-crazy-for the Gabrielle-Carlos twist.  She ought to take the money and run.  She has control of it and now it looks like he's planning on giving it all away.  There's a huge hole in this plot right now.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 09:28:46 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2005, 09:25:15 AM »

It is raining....not men.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2005, 09:26:42 AM »

Still shaking off my grogginess.  Perhaps a Diet Coke will do the trick.  I like when the Diet Coke does the connected rings trick.

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2005, 09:27:14 AM »

I have to say that The Applewhite storyline has never interested me once we knew who was in the basement, so I don't miss the family at all when they're not present.

Bree's story is my favorite right now followed by Gabrielle's (now that the new complication has been introduced.)

Fun and interesting storytelling.

Jason

« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2005, 09:28:03 AM »

DR JRand: Thanks - I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. That photo was of a sea lion. I was playing around with my camera to see what kind of quality I could get with the zoom - that picture was taken from about 50 feet away. I was quite pleased with the result. ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2005, 09:29:03 AM »

Re Jane's kitchen - am I mis-remembering many, many posts about her kitchen being redone earlier this year?  Is it STILL being redone?  Is it being REredone?

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2005, 09:29:30 AM »

Still shaking off my grogginess.  Perhaps a Diet Coke will do the trick.  I like when the Diet Coke does the connected rings trick.

A diet drink (not always Coke) in the morning ALWAYS gets my day started off right! Diet Coke was on sale yesterday so I did buy some.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2005, 09:32:20 AM »

SPOILER

SPOILER

Last night's "Grey's Anatomy" was another jewel among a multitude of jewels strewn before us in this wonderful TV show.

The ensemble works beautifully.  The chemistry is right on so many levels and the stories...of the interns, of their quests to learn, , and their successes, and of their fumbles at both practicing medicing and controlling their personal lives...are totally engrossing and entertaining.

I LOVE THIS SHOW!

Jason

« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2005, 09:33:25 AM »

I just heard rumour - and I do mean RUMOUR - that Ms. Oprah Winfrey may be coming by the office sometime in the next few weeks to discuss the licensing of THE COLOR PURPLE. That'd be pretty cool!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2005, 09:35:58 AM »

Ginny, nice family photo.

JRand-thank you.

Jason thanks for the cute zoo photos.

MBarnum are you going to the Portland Zoo one evening while it is illuminated with close to a million lights?  http://www.oregonzoo.org/

Dan(theMan) thanks for the Silver Bells warning.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2005, 09:36:15 AM »

...One of these years I must write my telepic--A YEAR WITHOUT CHRISTMAS COOKIES.  It will be the tale of a bitter, lonely old man who...is forced to take in borders to make ends meet.  Among his borders is...a middle-aged widow who carries a heavy burden.
She's an anvil saleswoman?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jason

« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2005, 09:37:45 AM »

MBarnum are you going to the Portland Zoo one evening while it is illuminated with close to a million lights?  http://www.oregonzoo.org/

They do that at the Bronx Zoo, too.  http://www.bronxzoo.com/426208/5266141

Jane

« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2005, 09:39:46 AM »

Can we upload again?  OK, I'll try:

GREAT!  :D

Jane

« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2005, 09:47:59 AM »

Bruce our kitchen was gutted the week between our return from Romania and my departure for the east coast.  We are now beginning our 9th week of this.  The planning stage began over a year ago and kept getting postponed, a good thing as we still had sick pets.

Jane

« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2005, 09:48:32 AM »

We have been reading our current Best Friends Animal Society magazine.  It is filled with beautiful, heartbreaking and courageous stories of the pet rescue volunteers in Mississippi.

The pet rescue groups still have donated monies to be spent, yet many have stopped spending it.  Please go to www.bestfriends.com and read their petition to help hurricane victims.  

Jane

« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2005, 09:50:01 AM »

Jason are you going?  I want to go to the Portland Zoo.

I should get to work now.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2005, 09:59:09 AM »

Marty, our big black Lab mix, the eldest of our pack, is having trouble with his left front paw.  One of his toes has become infected, we don't know with what, but it's swollen and red and he's finding it painful.

Wonderful way to spend my day off, heading over to the vet's office.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2005, 10:04:06 AM »

Re: snacks...

We can't keep nuker popcorn in the house any more.  Flecher has figured out how to open the pantry door, and then he loves to reach up and grab a bag.  He then tears off the celophane, opens the bag, and eats the popcorn.

This would make more sense, I suppose, if he knew how to work the microwave, but he eats the stuff raw.

We figure he's eating it for the oils and salt.  The popcorn itself shows up whole, later on, after he...

Well, you get the picture.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2005, 10:10:27 AM »

For myself, I just finished a batch of quesadillas.  Layers of corn tortillas and cheese, plus some hot sauce between layers.  Yummers.

I've been known to fry up some tortillas for fresh chips, for when I'm on the computer.

Normally, we don't snack while watching TV.  That's more likely to be when I'm serving dinner.

And I'm not big on snacking when I'm reading.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2005, 10:11:24 AM »

For myself, I just finished a batch of quesadillas.  Layers of corn tortillas and cheese, plus some hot sauce between layers.  Yummers.

I've been known to fry up some tortillas for fresh chips, for when I'm on the computer.

Normally, we don't snack while watching TV.  That's more likely to be when I'm serving dinner.

And I'm not big on snacking when I'm reading.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2005, 10:13:46 AM »

Re: snacks...

We can't keep nuker popcorn in the house any more.  Flecher has figured out how to open the pantry door, and then he loves to reach up and grab a bag.  He then tears off the celophane, opens the bag, and eats the popcorn.

This would make more sense, I suppose, if he knew how to work the microwave, but he eats the stuff raw.

We figure he's eating it for the oils and salt.  The popcorn itself shows up whole, later on, after he...

Well, you get the picture.

Now that might be fun to collect into a paper bag and light on fire on someone's doorstep.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~ ~ ~ ~ ~  HEALTHY PAW VIBES FOR MARTY  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~[/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2005, 10:13:50 AM »

Wonderful way to spend my day off, heading over to the vet's office.

You are getting to spend some quality time with Marty...time that will result in Marty feeling better, too.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2005, 10:16:00 AM »

We have incoming cloud layers that look, as I recall, like the skies back east used to look before a snowstorm.

Of course, we won't be getting a snowstorm.  

We need the rain, though.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2005, 10:16:00 AM »

Wow...DR's SWW & derBRUCER have a dog that opens the pantry and gets microwave popcorn and DR JMK has a dog that rings the front doorbell....and MR BK has a Diet Pepsi that does the trick.

This place is a regular CIRQUE de SOLANGE.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up