Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: OPERATING ON THREE HOURS OF SLEEP  (Read 24263 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:OPERATING ON THREE HOURS OF SLEEP
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2005, 09:31:21 AM »

Gotta run, I have closings out of the office all afternnon and tonight the Vixter has her school Christmas  Holiday   Winter Concert  and tomorrow morning I am running a seminar and luncheon out of the office so probably be tomorrow afternoon before I catch up with you all again.  In honor of Jane's birthday I put some  new anitfreezer in my car radiator.

Laters!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2005, 09:39:54 AM »

~~~ HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR JANE!! ~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jason

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2005, 09:51:21 AM »

FINALLY! I can play Effie and not have to pay a cent for the licensing!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2005, 10:07:43 AM »

My first question for ASK BK day inspired by the notes.

I am the kind of director who plans ALL blocking out in advance - and then I give it to the actors, then we walk thru making changes as we go.  I also LISTEN to any suggestion an actor makes.

Now....Mr Bisque - are you the kind of director an actor likes?  And part two, are you the kind of actor a director likes?  Give examples.

I was trying to answer this, but couldn't even use the quote function via AOL or Safari - website not responding - so I came in through IE, where everything seems fine.  WHY IS THAT?

I always have a general idea of things, and I do for Deceit.  I have a "look" for the show that's in my head.  I had my opening number in my head for the LACC show, but just the "look" of it, not the exact steps or patterns or anything.  When I began on it, I just started with the "pre-show" stuff, which led me to the way to begin the number proper.  Then, I experimented with the big entrance of the first group of people - that took a few minutes, but once I saw what I liked, the rest of that section just came instantly.  Same with the third.  Then I couldn't figure out the final long counterpoint section, so I went home and slept on it, then figured it out at the next rehearsal, just seeing where they were before that section started.  So, I like to think on my feet - doesn't work for everyone, but it's always worked for me - it's the same way I write.  Just notes, no outline.

I think actors like me - certainly singers love the way I work, and since I work in a similar way with actors, I'm sure they do, too.  I can be very specific when necessary, or I can give them as much space as they want and need, and then just tell them what's working for me and what isn't and why.  I listen to every suggestion, ponder, make very few instant decisions on suggestions, and basically just do whatever's necessary to make things work.

I was an actor who LOVED to give the director whatever he/she asked for - unless I thought they were an idiot, in which case I did what I felt like.

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2005, 10:28:04 AM »

I think TAR is normally in the fall and the spring....I am tired of this seasons show. All the interesting players were eliminated early on (Gaghans, Blacks, Paolas)...of those who are left I only like the Branson family, really. The Linz family are mildly entertaining sometimes, but not recently until last night, and the guys in that team are nice to look at. The Weavers...Uhg!

I didn't mind the family thing, for me it was just that most of the teams were just plain dull.

Jennifer

« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2005, 10:33:19 AM »

RE: TAR

Yeah I think the family part worked okay.  Except that it is hard to really get to know the teams.  I cannot tell any of the Bransen sisters apart.  Same for the Linz brothers.

I think the part that really hurt this edition was the lack of world travel!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2005, 10:34:53 AM »

BK I do not understand how licensing/royalties work when you  are recording a CD.

For example,  when Mr. Haines recorded his last CD did you have to contact each and every songwriter to get permission or can you just record any old song you want?

If the song has been recorded before, no, you don't have to contact anyone - you just have to pay the mechanical royalty a couple of times a year (app. .06 a song).  In the case of Cowboy Waltz, which hadn't been recorded before, yes, I called Craig Carnelia and got his permission.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2005, 10:43:42 AM »

If the song has been recorded before, no, you don't have to contact anyone - you just have to pay the mechanical royalty a couple of times a year (app. .06 a song).  

For how long?  For as long as the CD remains "in print"?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

FJL

« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2005, 10:50:22 AM »

BK - This is probably an esoteric question, but what if a song is recorded and released on a DVD as part of a direct-to-video release, but never actually released on a CD?  Does that make a difference in terms of whether you have to get permission, as opposed to just paying mechanicals?

Ginny

« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2005, 10:52:38 AM »

In honor of DR Jane's birthday, today I'm reading this book, which is about selling Christmas trees at the corner of Jane St. and 8th Ave. in NYC.  Our Oct. 5 tour with Jose took us right past this corner!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2005, 10:53:52 AM »

If a song is on a DVD (film or otherwise), the producers have to obtain synch licenses and make a royalty deal with the publishers, so yes, permissions are completely different than CD.

Yes, you pay mechanical royalties on every CD sold for the life of the CD.  I will say this: Many companies have never paid a mechanical royalty (I shan't name names, oh, no, I shan't name any names of record labels who've never paid mechanical royalties, but there are a few), and the publishers can't keep track and those companies are rarely chided or gone after.  Unless someone alerts the publisher, oh, yes, unless someone alerts the publisher.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2005, 10:54:57 AM »

In about an hour, I shall be lunching with our very own Pogue at our beloved Bird's.  That is the only thing I'm doing today prior to rehearsal this evening.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2005, 10:56:22 AM »

Alert the media.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jed

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2005, 10:59:37 AM »

Happy birthday, DR Jane!!!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2005, 11:09:33 AM »

According to THIS article on Playbill.com, you can "Listen to New Lestat Song — For a Good Cause"

"Amazon.com is offering musical fans a first listen to a new Elton John-Bernie Taupin song from the upcoming musical, Lestat, in an effort to help U.S. hurricane victims."

The song is Elton John himself singing "Make Me As You Are."  It looks like Amazon.com has a new song by different people each day.  I don't know how long it'll be up, so go HERE now to listen.  You don't have to donate to listen.  Right now, Carly Simon, Paul McCartney and several others have songs and videos available.  Carly also has a scan of a lyric sheet that you can download...or just look at.  Sounds like a pretty cool idea to get donations. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2005, 11:18:57 AM »

In about an hour, I shall be lunching with our very own Pogue at our beloved Bird's.  That is the only thing I'm doing today prior to rehearsal this evening.

Be sure to toast Jane!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2005, 11:50:56 AM »

[size=8][move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JANE!![/move][/size]

Betsy's delicious cake awaits you the next time you're up in these parts.

Believe it or don't, I just used the WOD yesterday in a story I'm writing for the kids for Hanukkah.  Betsy has forbidden me to reveal details as she is sure it is saleable and will make us millions in the children's book world.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2005, 11:51:30 AM »

Has DR CP's schedule lessened?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2005, 12:16:23 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JANE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I can speak for all of HHW when I say, YOU ROCK!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2005, 12:18:24 PM »

JRand-
My Indy pal, who is going to visit you one of these days at the shoppe, lived an apartment that used to be Block's. Although he has recently moved into a house on 77th St.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2005, 12:19:28 PM »

One was exhibited as a talking fish
The other was served on a chafing dish
—from "The Eddystone Light" by the Brothers Four

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2005, 12:19:53 PM »

Love the family photo, JMK.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2005, 12:23:01 PM »

Question for BK!
Regarding last night's tale, when you and Lembeck were both up for the same part, being that you knew each other, was this something you discussed at the time—who might get it and so forth—or did you only find out later that you were competing with each other?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2005, 12:33:42 PM »

Yes, sadly Block's is NO MORE.  They did have nice clothes, and that is where I bought my graduation suit - if one was turned into apartments, that was a gentle fate.

There is another that is now an Urban Liquidation Center......

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2005, 12:34:39 PM »

77th Street?  Oh, the Beverly Hills of Indianapolis....or maybe I should say, the Studio City of Indianapolis.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2005, 12:45:10 PM »

Is that right? He's living large and hasn't even told me!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2005, 12:54:24 PM »

Criminy!  I don't remember a 77th Street in Indianapolis.

Of course, I moved in 1984.  Maybe that area was just cornfields back then?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 12:57:18 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2005, 12:59:00 PM »

We even have a 103rd street now, DR RLP.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2005, 12:59:37 PM »

And in Indiana, DR RODZINSKI, livin' large is purely relative...and is usually with your relatives.

MBarnum

« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2005, 01:00:47 PM »

Indiana has cornfields?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up