Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MALADY LINGERS ON  (Read 31964 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:THE MALADY LINGERS ON
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2005, 12:10:55 PM »

Re the Happy Holidays vs Merry Chriostmas question, it depends on where I am and who the other person is.

If the other person is sporting a Christmas tree lapel pin or some such other indication that they are probably clebrating Christmas I will wish them a Merry Christmas, if they are wearing a yamulke or Star of David necklace, I would wish them a Happy Hannukah... if there is no clear indication and  I don't know then personally I would wish them  Happy Holidays

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2005, 12:12:56 PM »

Page Four Dance

hard to dance when you gots feet of snow.....

or no feets are all.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 12:17:49 PM by vixmom »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2005, 12:14:07 PM »

If such people or persons or person were able to make a copy and send it to a certain other person,that other person would be very grateful

;)l

Well, as long as people who might possibly be doing such things still had certain other people's street addresses (which they probably do), it could happen very quickly. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2005, 12:14:32 PM »

DR MattH asked a question about this week's ALIAS which I did not get a chance to watch on Wednesday.

You asked about Jack's playing the piano at the end of the show.

I'm not sure exactly what it meant, except that his old friend (the french ambassador's wife) asked if he still played.  And he made a point to tell her that he had given it up. I'm assuming it meant something to him/them in the past.

I'm also thinking that he has either been playing this whole time.  Or perhaps he really had given it up and her reminding him of it got him to do so again.

Okay now i think i've confused us both!

but what about that preview for next week????

My gosh they really gave away a lot!

I don't get why they showed it that way.  I would have thought they might have made it seem like a certain character might come back.  But certainly not show him!

Jed

« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2005, 12:14:37 PM »

That would be a wonderful thing... the only versions we have been able to locate were arrangements for choral groups and the Vixter wants the solo version

Will there be a recording or videoing of Ann's performance?

I knew Ann sang, but I never knewed  you played the pianny!

Even if Ann can't track down a copy of the sheet music for the Vixter, I'm sure we could manage to whip up a copy on Finale (albeit with a very simplified piano part).  I don't really play, I just fake it enough to get by.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jennifer

« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2005, 12:18:18 PM »

Re: Happy holidays vs Merry Christmas.

There was a very heated discussion about sending Christmas cards on The View one day this week.

Elisabeth said that she just sent everybody Christmas cards, and Joy was sort of put off by that.

I do like Elisabeth but I found what she was saying sort of obnoxious.  I do think that the card is meant FOR THE OTHER person not for you. If you know the person you are sending the card to is Jewish then why would you send them a Christmas card.

Most people I know send cards that are appropriate for the person receiving the card.  And if they happen to have one card they send out to everybody, then at the very least they would write in "happy channukah" or whatever.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2005, 12:20:08 PM »

I wish we had snow in the summer so we could enjoy it while it was warm.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2005, 12:26:17 PM »

It is snowing here today and I'm not liking it too much!

Ginny

« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2005, 12:28:39 PM »

Question for NYC denizens:  As I'm reading the Gower Champion bio, it makes me want to see the dancing.  I'm waiting for library copies of Lovely to Look At and Give a Girl a Break.  Is there somewhere in the City where one can go to see video of TV programs like Your Show of Shows, The Bell Telephone Hour, and The Ed Sullivan Show?  This book cries out for a companion DVD!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2005, 12:37:32 PM »

Well, as long as people who might possibly be doing such things still had certain other people's street addresses (which they probably do), it could happen very quickly. ;)

and certain other people are very excited and happy and grateful and working on suprises of their own!  :-*

vixmom

« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2005, 12:39:26 PM »

I wish we had snow in the summer so we could enjoy it while it was warm.

;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2005, 12:41:34 PM »

I'm almost finished with the Champion book - I find it endlessly sloppy, filled with wacky assertions, contradictions (sometimes within the same paragraph), and flat-out mistakes.  Nice to have, but one wishes that someone with writing talent could have tackled this - every chapter is basically written the same, just the show changes.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2005, 12:45:58 PM »

Basically the same, just the show changes.

Yup - that's Gower Champion!!

Tomovoz

« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2005, 12:50:23 PM »

Thanks for the thought François.  It may be only Percy Faith singles NOT also on albums. No notes from "Collectables" to help out. Maybe the tracks I mentioned are on the earlier volume though they did not chart until  1960 or later.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2005, 12:57:43 PM »

Thanks for the thought François.  It may be only Percy Faith singles NOT also on albums. No notes from "Collectables" to help out. Maybe the tracks I mentioned are on the earlier volume though they did not chart until  1960 or later.

You might find more information here:

http://homepages.tesco.net/~alan.bunting/contents.htm
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 05:36:08 PM by François »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2005, 01:05:50 PM »

I didn't have as much time this afternoon as I needed to get things watched that I had planned. Even though there are new episodes on tonight for most network TV shows, I don't watch any of them and will have the night free to continue watching things on my Friday Media Check which will be my next post.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2005, 01:08:24 PM »

DR Jennifer:

I didn't watch the previews for ALIAS, so I can't discuss them. I almost never watch previews of the next week's show. It's spoils fun and surprises for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2005, 01:11:32 PM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS (soundtrack)
        THE ANDY WILLIAMS CHRISTMAS ALBUM
        MERRY CHRISTMAS WITH LOVE - Clay Aiken
        THE PERRY COMO CHRISTMAS ALBUM

DVD - MURDER SHE WROTE - Season 2, Disc 1, Side B
          THE DARK CORNER
          WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS

DVR - last night's SMALLVILLE
         POLYESTER

Matt H.

« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2005, 01:13:47 PM »

I watched two episodes on the MURDER SHE WROTE DVD set. Always fun shows with lots of guest stars.

In one set on a soap opera (Lloyd Nolan's last TV appearance before his death), Nicholas Hammond played the soap's resident hunk. And he WAS a hunk in this episode. My, Fredrich Von Trapp had really grown up to be a gorgeous man.

Matt H.

« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2005, 01:14:49 PM »

Also, finally finished the Agatha Christie DEAD MAN'S FOLLY. Ended as I remembered it and glad to add it to my Agatha Christie mystery collection.

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2005, 01:16:40 PM »

Glad we didn't get the ice and snow we might have gotten (the western and northern parts of the state seemed to have gotten it instead), but it is cold! Going to be 24 tonight which is cold for this part of the world.

vixmom

« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2005, 01:27:15 PM »

Re: Happy holidays vs Merry Christmas.

There was a very heated discussion about sending Christmas cards on The View one day this week.

Elisabeth said that she just sent everybody Christmas cards, and Joy was sort of put off by that.

I do like Elisabeth but I found what she was saying sort of obnoxious.  I do think that the card is meant FOR THE OTHER person not for you. If you know the person you are sending the card to is Jewish then why would you send them a Christmas card.

Most people I know send cards that are appropriate for the person receiving the card.  And if they happen to have one card they send out to everybody, then at the very least they would write in "happy channukah" or whatever.

I have a very good friend, who  told me (many years ago, when we first met) that she didn't send out Christmas cards because she was Jewish, and said she hoped I wouldn't be insulted when I didn't get one.  So I told her of course I wouldn't be insulted, but asked her if she refrained from sending out birthday cards to her friends and family because it wasn't her birthday.

Since then every year I get a Christmas card from her and without fail, I send her a Hannukah card and make sure I get a Hannukah stamp from the post office to put on her envelope.

FJL

« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2005, 01:36:36 PM »

I'm Jewish but I celebrate Christmas as a non-religious holiday, as well as Hannukah.   I know my parents don't technically celebrate Christmas, but they always seem to have some party or another to go to on Christmas Day - but they don't technically celebrate Christmas.  Confusing?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2005, 01:37:00 PM »

DRMATTH - I always liked seeing the old-time stars on MURDER SHE WROTE, although I didn't watch it regularly.

I especially liked it the couple of times that Carroll Baker was on.   That meant they got along when they made HARLOW and liked working together enough to stick it out for a quick television show schedule.

FJL

« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2005, 01:40:10 PM »

DEAD MAN'S FOLLIES - that's the name of the next Sondheim murder mystery.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2005, 01:41:26 PM »

Relaxing, and had some cake to boot.  I always enjoy booting cake, although the boots are then cake-encrusted.  One simply cannot have enough cake-encrusted boots - Cake-encrusted Boots - that's the title of my next novel.

Jed

« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2005, 01:43:55 PM »

DR Jennifer:

I didn't watch the previews for ALIAS, so I can't discuss them. I almost never watch previews of the next week's show. It's spoils fun and surprises for me.

Please don't interpret this as snide or bitchy, because it truly is not intended to be, but do you realize that your nightly TV recaps basically serve as just such episode previews for those of us on the west coast?
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

vixmom

« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2005, 01:46:45 PM »

I'm Jewish but I celebrate Christmas as a non-religious holiday, as well as Hannukah.   I know my parents don't technically celebrate Christmas, but they always seem to have some party or another to go to on Christmas Day - but they don't technically celebrate Christmas.  Confusing?

We have had Hannukah dinners at our Lutheran home in honor of some of our Jewish friends...and on those days we put up Hannukah decorations on the front door and cooked  latkes and blintzes and had a menorah so they could light it and say the appropriate prayers.

This past year the Vixter was invited to her friend's house for a Passover Seder (which she pronounced "reallly Cool") and in HER honor, they said everything in both Hebrew and English so she could follow along

I see nothing strange or confusing with you or your parents or anybody else that's Jewish attending a party on Christmas and more than it would be odd for them to be attending anybody else's birthday party!

vixmom

« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2005, 01:49:03 PM »

Relaxing, and had some cake to boot.  I always enjoy booting cake, although the boots are then cake-encrusted.  One simply cannot have enough cake-encrusted boots - Cake-encrusted Boots - that's the title of my next novel.

Speaking of cake, dear BK, do you know who left you the cake on your doorstep or was it an anonymous gift?

And if was an anonymous gift shouldn't it have been immediatly discarded?! :o)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2005, 01:50:39 PM »

A day late and a lot more than a dollar short department:   ;D

[size=8][move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BK!![/move][/size]
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up