Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MALADY LINGERS ON  (Read 31946 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE MALADY LINGERS ON
« Reply #180 on: December 09, 2005, 06:26:39 PM »

I usually only say "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas" or whatever when (or if) someone says it to me first, then I don't have to worry about what might offend them.  Otherwise, I just say "have a good evening" and leave it at that! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jed

« Reply #181 on: December 09, 2005, 06:27:36 PM »

OR "Mary Christmas" and "Marry Christmas"?

Naturally.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

FJL

« Reply #182 on: December 09, 2005, 06:33:34 PM »

All sorts of Raja Jani references in musical theater:

Jani One Note

Surabaya Jani

La Raja Folles

Little Jani Jones

Raja Moan (the souce matetrial for SEE WHAT I WANNA SEE)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #183 on: December 09, 2005, 06:34:43 PM »

I'm very much a "Merry Christmas" guy.  I have very little patience for December's ultra political correctness.  It just gets so ridiculous, going so far that a local elementary school principal has done away with the "giving tree" in the office, as the word "tree" being used in December implies Christmas and, therefore, Christianity.  Ugh!

I also find it funny that only the majority can ever be un-P.C.  My degree is in music education, and I can tell you that you can program as much Hanukkah music and such as you like with no complaint whatsoever from anybody.  But dare program one song for your December concert that mentions Jesus and all hell breaks loose.

Bear in mind that this is coming from an agnostic guy whose only trips to a church in his life have been for weddings and choir concerts.  I just don't see it as anything to get so wound up about.  For many people (myself included), Christmas is a societal holiday just as much as a religious one.  Public acknowledgement that it's happening isn't going to be catastrophic for anybody, even if it is religion based.

I listen to all the beautiful Christmas music at home but boy did I cringe when the school included songs about Jesus for my children to sing.  I could overlook everything else but that.

Doing away with the “giving tree” seems a bit absurd.  Does the concept still exist?

FJL

« Reply #184 on: December 09, 2005, 06:40:01 PM »

KRIS MISSES CHRISTMAS - the title of my next holiday epic.  Mr. Kringle falls asleep and doesn't wake up until December 26th, when it just happens to be Hannukah.  A sincere plea for love among the faiths, should rake in a fortune at the box office.

Jane

« Reply #185 on: December 09, 2005, 06:40:33 PM »

Re: Happy holidays vs Merry Christmas.

There was a very heated discussion about sending Christmas cards on The View one day this week.

Elisabeth said that she just sent everybody Christmas cards, and Joy was sort of put off by that.

I do like Elisabeth but I found what she was saying sort of obnoxious.  I do think that the card is meant FOR THE OTHER person not for you. If you know the person you are sending the card to is Jewish then why would you send them a Christmas card.

Most people I know send cards that are appropriate for the person receiving the card.  And if they happen to have one card they send out to everybody, then at the very least they would write in "happy channukah" or whatever.

Jennifer I understand how you feel.  We receive some very religious Christian cards.  I just consider the source and understand how much this means to them & remember to be pleased they wrote.  Then I tuck those cards behind others. ;D

We received a beautiful homemade Chanukah card in the mail today.  :)  

François de Paris

« Reply #186 on: December 09, 2005, 06:46:31 PM »

Well, DR td has not posted since November 29!

This November, that is!

Let's hope nobody has "offended" him with some unwelcome "Merry Christmas"and that he's doing ok!

Jane

« Reply #187 on: December 09, 2005, 06:47:11 PM »

I have a very good friend, who  told me (many years ago, when we first met) that she didn't send out Christmas cards because she was Jewish, and said she hoped I wouldn't be insulted when I didn't get one.  So I told her of course I wouldn't be insulted, but asked her if she refrained from sending out birthday cards to her friends and family because it wasn't her birthday.

Since then every year I get a Christmas card from her and without fail, I send her a Hannukah card and make sure I get a Hannukah stamp from the post office to put on her envelope.

LOL!!

When I was young my parents would try to invite a non-Jewish friend to join our Passover Seder's.  

I'm really lucky having grown up celebrating two sets of holidays.  I never found it confusing, some (Christian holidays) were fun and filled with material gifts, others (Jewish) had special meaning and gave me far greater gifts I still carry with me.

Jed

« Reply #188 on: December 09, 2005, 06:53:34 PM »

I listen to all the beautiful Christmas music at home but boy did I cringe when the school included songs about Jesus for my children to sing.  I could overlook everything else but that.

Doing away with the “giving tree” seems a bit absurd.  Does the concept still exist?

My argument as a music teacher is that a great amount of the music written a few hundred years back was written for religious purposes.  This includes some of the greatest choral music out there.  To not include ANY of this music in your repertoire is doing a disservice to the kids as students of music.  Personally, I don't find singing religious lyrics to be in any way promoting one religion or minimilizing others.  Maybe it's just me, I dunno.

As for the banned giving tree, they now have a "giving counter."
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

FJL

« Reply #189 on: December 09, 2005, 06:53:57 PM »

VALISE NAVIDAD - That's the title of my next indie Christmas film, about a couple that spends all day on Christmas looking for their lost luggage.

François de Paris

« Reply #190 on: December 09, 2005, 07:00:59 PM »

VALISE NAVIDAD - That's the title of my next indie Christmas film, about a couple that spends all day on Christmas looking for their lost luggage.

What about: Felix Navy Dad??   (No comment! ;D)

FJL

« Reply #191 on: December 09, 2005, 07:02:25 PM »

Does anyone remember the Feliz Navidad parody that was making the rounds a number of years ago.  Seriously, I'm not making this up.

Phylicia Rashad, Phylicia Rashad, Phylicia Rashad
She play the Mom, Bill Cosby play the Dad

She is the sister of Debbie Allen,
Who used to be on Fame.

I forget the rest of it.  :(

François de Paris

« Reply #192 on: December 09, 2005, 07:03:14 PM »

And only finding it the following day?
A Jewish miracle? :D

Jane

« Reply #193 on: December 09, 2005, 07:07:35 PM »

Jed, giving counter-LOL.

At the elementary school level there are plenty of songs to challenge their voices, IMHO.  I had no objection to the songs chosen by the choir teacher in Middle School-but then that school was sensitive to the "other" populations of students. ;)

If you had been the music instructor and had explained why non-Jesus mentioning songs weren’t musically challenging I’m sure I would have felt differently than I did.  When these songs were included due to lack of sensitivity or prejudice against other races and religions it was very upsetting.

FJL

« Reply #194 on: December 09, 2005, 07:08:59 PM »

Darn, I just googled VALISE NAVIDAD and found out it's been done already.

Jane

« Reply #195 on: December 09, 2005, 07:09:52 PM »

Good news vibes for Rodzinsky.

JMK-great family photos.

François-LOL.  Td hasn’t been offended.  He should return soon. :)

François de Paris

« Reply #196 on: December 09, 2005, 07:10:46 PM »

Jed, giving counter-LOL.

At the elementary school level there are plenty of songs to challenge their voices, IMHO.  I had no objection to the songs chosen by the choir teacher in Middle School-but then that school was sensitive to the "other" populations of students. ;)

If you had been the music instructor and had explained why non-Jesus mentioning songs weren’t musically challenging I’m sure I would have felt differently than I did.  When these songs were included due to lack of sensitivity or prejudice against other races and religions it was very upsetting.

Gee, whiz!

I do NOT believe in Santa Claus AND I don't feel offended if I sing songs that "praise his glory"! :D

FJL

« Reply #197 on: December 09, 2005, 07:10:53 PM »

As has POLICE NAVIDAD - many references to that.  :(

Jane

« Reply #198 on: December 09, 2005, 07:11:20 PM »

Charles Pogue, just in case, good vibes your interesting news is good news.  

François de Paris

« Reply #199 on: December 09, 2005, 07:11:38 PM »

François-LOL.  Td hasn’t been offended.  He should return soon. :)

I hope it's BEFORE December the 25th!!! :D

FJL

« Reply #200 on: December 09, 2005, 07:13:52 PM »

EVERYBODY'S WAITING FOR THE MAN WITH THE GAG -  a short subject about a town starved for holiday humor

François de Paris

« Reply #201 on: December 09, 2005, 07:14:35 PM »

Darn, I just googled VALISE NAVIDAD and found out it's been done already.

Ckeck! It might be just... by you! (Bayou?!) ;)

François de Paris

« Reply #202 on: December 09, 2005, 07:16:41 PM »

EVERYBODY'S WAITING FOR THE MAN WITH THE GAG -  a short subject about a town starved for holiday humor

Could not it be a WOMAN?

Mrs S.?

FJL

« Reply #203 on: December 09, 2005, 07:20:39 PM »

Francois - Was your post above a sly reference to the song "Christmas Bayou" by any chance?  :)

FJL

« Reply #204 on: December 09, 2005, 07:23:12 PM »

I wonder if I can make it to post #900 on page 9 on the 9th - if I can do that, I can give up being obsessive-compulsive for the rest of the year.

François de Paris

« Reply #205 on: December 09, 2005, 07:23:21 PM »

Francois - Was your post above a sly reference to the song "Christmas Bayou" by any chance?  :)

Hmmm... don't know this one!

Bayou always makes me think of Blue Bayou sung by Karen Charpentier, I mean... Carpenter! Btw, Joseph was a carpenter!
We stay in the theme, don't we?

Jane

« Reply #206 on: December 09, 2005, 07:25:32 PM »

Last night we watched the final episode of THE TRIANGLE.  I have a question regarding the last scene.  Possible spoiler warning…….Was that a medal?  

François de Paris

« Reply #207 on: December 09, 2005, 07:25:37 PM »

I wonder if I can make it to post #900 on page 9 on the 9th - if I can do that, I can give up being obsessive-compulsive for the rest of the year.

The rest of the year!!... the rest of the year!!

That should be a short rest!

(December the 25th, me dear! december the 25th! Bah! Home bug!)

FJL

« Reply #208 on: December 09, 2005, 07:27:50 PM »

I associate Blue Bayou with Linda Ronstadt for some reason.

Jane

« Reply #209 on: December 09, 2005, 07:29:08 PM »

Keith is waiting to watch something.  I should know what being that it is Friday.

Playing in the jukebox were tons of CD’s ALL DAY LONG!  It is wonderful having music again.

‘night.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up