Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THAT QUEASY FEELING  (Read 50428 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:THAT QUEASY FEELING
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2005, 07:59:17 AM »

POGUE- EASTERN STANDARD TIME - PART THREE

After the decision was made.  The Lovely Wife and I scouted out houses on a trip back to Kentucky last summer.  Though we didn't find anything on that trip, we hooked up with a realtor and continued to check out property on the internet.  When we had several options, we returned to KY over labor day weekend and found our current house.  It is a thousand square feet more than our home in LA and was a quarter of the price for which that one sold.  Once we bought the house in KY, we put our house on the market. It sold at its first showing for full price.  Right after that, that market started to soften.

END OF PART THREE
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 08:37:26 AM by Charles Pogue »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2005, 08:00:25 AM »

Good morning!

I lost my phone service last night at 6 p.m. and it wasn't restored until mid-morning today. So I am busy catching up on everything.

Cold but clear day here.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

FJL

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2005, 08:05:48 AM »

Congrats, Pogue.

The changes sound wonderful.  And being able to work because you want to rather than because you have to is a blessing indeed.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2005, 08:06:59 AM »

And now I have to jump in the shower to meet friends for lunch. Will return this afternoon and give full opinions on last night's shows and the Friday Media Report.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2005, 08:08:08 AM »

DR Charles Pogue - welcome to the Eastern time zone to you and your lovely wife!  We'll have to have a Cincinnati HHW gathering sometime.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Charles Pogue

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2005, 08:09:38 AM »

POGUE -EASTERN STANDARD TIME

Another reason for leaving LA  besides the cash-out was that LA is simply getting too stressful, expensive, and cluttered.  The only thing I'll really miss is all the fine and many friends we have there...like BK.  But they have all promised to visit...BK soon after the first of the year.

We have many, many friends in the Kentucky area...not only in Lexington, but also Louisville and Cincinnati, both of which are only an hour away.  So we have three cities for cultural outlets as well.  We also have strong ties to the Theatre Department at University of Kentucky.  

Georgetown is itself a small little one-main street town with several antique malls and an old-fashioned, historic charm.  We have a Kroger's, the supermarket I grew up with, and a Super Wal-mart which Julieanne and I are trying to valiantly resist.  Via the nearby I-75.  I can be in Lexington in about 15-20 minutes.  I couldn't get through Hollywood that fast.  I was in rush hour traffic the other day and wouldn't have known it, if I didn't know the time.  I already feel more relaxed.

END OF PART FOUR

FJL

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2005, 08:12:45 AM »

If I may get controversial for a moment:  Regarding the New York transit situation, what is there that's special about being a transit worker that makes it acceptable for them to ask for a pensioned retirement age of 50 in their negotiations without being laughed at?   I'm (I think legitimately) confused by this.  

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2005, 08:15:45 AM »

DR Charles Pogue - Is Georgetown where the Toyota plant is located?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Charles Pogue

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2005, 08:19:41 AM »

The Lovely Wife and I packed and lived surrounded by boxes for the last month and half.  I single-handedly packed about six thousand books.  After the movers had come and gone last Friday, I put The Lovely Wife on a plane with our cat, Mosby the Grey Ghost.  Around eleven-thirty that night, I put Tewkes the dog in the car, along with some boxes of the finer books and the computer equipment and a few other odds and ends and took off.  My pal, actor Larry Drake, decided to take one last road trip with me and accompany me as co-pilot.  Probably not as omnipotent as God as my co-pilot, but certainly very amusing and entertaining.  You don't want to hear the pair of us singing to the CD, Come With Me To Jail, from BOYS FROM SYRACUSE, at 2:30 in the morning.  

We drove through the night and until sundown of the following day, stopping in Amarillo for the night.  The next day, we pushed on all day, through the night arriving in Georgetown at 2:30 AM early Monday morning.  We had snowfall accompanying us on the last leg and our heater wasn't working.  But we got here in one piece.

END OF PART FIVE

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2005, 08:25:20 AM »

Wow, that is quite a move DR CP! It sounds like you will be very happy with your new home!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2005, 08:27:40 AM »

Such  wonderful news from DR CP and his lovely wife.

Yes welcome back home to the Midwest.  It sounds as if all of that hard work is paying off for you in the BEST possible way.

Have a wonderful Christmas.  And of course we must now see photos of the new home & library!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2005, 08:29:59 AM »

Media Check:

CD: Listening to a CD that arrived yesterday. Folk/pop singer from Armenia GOR MKHITARIAN: Episode. This guy has such a beautiful voice! I may have to get his other cds...and he isn't bad to look at! LOL!

DVD: I am having a rather international weekend...from Turkey I have TARKAN VS THE VIKINGS (1970) ; from Mexico I have the crazy soaper/melodrama EN CARNA VIVA (1952); and if time permits I will throw in something Japanese and something from Hong Kong.

VHS: Nada so far.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 08:31:12 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2005, 08:32:01 AM »

DR Rodzinski, sorry you couldn't play hooky today!

TPunk, what an adorable new photo!

Charles Pogue

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2005, 08:34:41 AM »

POGUE- EASTERN STANDARD TIME - PART SIX

Once in, we spent a couple of days relaxing and preparing for the movers. The Lovely Wife, our advanced scout, took us to what has become our new hangout, The Buzz Cafe, for a delicious lunch.  While there, I had a mechanic look over the car's heating problem.  He was one of those old fashioned types...an old codger who tools on engines with a cigarette dangling from his lower lip.  He found we had a thermostat problem and gasket leaking anti-freeze.  I'm not sure it solved our heating problem, but it did solve a gauge problem and the leak problem.  The grand total:  31 dollars for anti-freeze and parts; ten bucks for labour.  I'm not in LA anymore.  Larry went back after a few days because he had an audition.  He got recognized three times while here.

Wednesday the movers came and I think all of our stuff is here in this sea of boxes.  Though not without some mishaps.  Our wrought iron Christmas tree is literally bent all out of shape, A door jamb got smashed and there are some scuffs on the new hardwood.  Worst of all, The Lovely Wife's pride and joy, her burled wood baby grand had a front corner slightly crushed and scraped, as well as the piano bench.  This thing was in pristine condition and it was a real heart-breaker. We only hope the innards are okay. Mayflower will make good or else.  Fortunately, she found the only piano refinishers and repairers in the state of Kentucky right in Lexington.  So good vibes to our poor piano.

We are now slowly starting to arrange rooms and get things in order.  Both the cat and dog have taken to the transition with  almost no angst at all and have settled right in with a blase mellowness.  The cat has staked out his territory on the landings of the stairs that wind down to the lower level in front of the bank of large windows.  Tewkes seems to relish the cold weather and doesn't even mind the wet snow.  Three days after departing sunny LA, I've been shovelling ice off my driveway.  New Adventures!

The End.

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2005, 08:35:49 AM »

Just read that actress Mary Jackson passed away last weekend at age 95. I didn't realize she had still been alive, but I adored her as Miss Emily Baldwin on THE WALTONS.

Ginny

« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2005, 08:39:37 AM »

TOD - CD's:  Bryn Terfel's Simple Gifts, Christmas with Kiri:  Carols from Coventry Cathedral, William Bolcom's Grammy-nominated Songs of Innocence and Experience.  The latter was recorded at The University of Michigan's Hill Auditorium, where I attended many wonderful programs, many years ago.

DVD:  Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

VCR:  Give a Girl a Break

Jason

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2005, 08:42:28 AM »

DR Ben & DP Ant: GOOD TRAVEL VIBES!!! I hope you have a wonderful time and a great holiday!!

DR CP: Welcome back - to the site and to Kentucky! I'll be there myself in 6 days...

DR Jose: Congrats on opening night! Just think...you'll have your BROADWAY opening in a couple of months!!!! :D

Charles Pogue

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2005, 08:42:28 AM »

JRand, the library is being built even as we speak and should be installed by mid-January.  We found a wonderful builder who is an artist as well. This library I will actually be able to sit and read in.  It has a cosy fireplace too.  I plan to read all those books I've been collecting over the years.  We also have a dedicated place for a gym.  It's great having the extra room!

Ginny, thanks for the welcome to the area.  And, yes, Georgetown is where the Toyota plant is.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2005, 08:43:19 AM »

An advanced copy of BAREBACK MOUNTIN'?

Thank you for reminding me.  I need that back from DRJose!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2005, 08:50:11 AM »

POGUE - EASTERN STANDARD TIME - PART TWO

Why have the Pogues moved, you ask?   I knew the obscenely inflated real estate market in LA could not last forever.  So I noodled with my business manager and we figured we could sell our LA house for enough to buy a house here outright with plenty of money left over to add to our current savings that we could continue to live in the style to which we've become accustomed without either of us having to work again if we so desired.  We so desire and both of us will continue to work...we just don't have to.  My artistic manager is all for the idea, realizing that I don't have to be in LA to do what I do.  But I won't have to scramble after jobs I don't want to do anyway and plan to concentrate on a lot of different writing.

END OF PART TWO

DR CharlesPogue, fantastic!  I think it's great.  I look forward to whatever you decide to write.  I'm sure our Dear Friend BK will miss having you around the neighborhood,  and I wonder if he's been looking into flights to Lexington (or Louisville?).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 08:50:31 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2005, 08:52:30 AM »

I just reread Pogue Post No. 1:  Lexington!

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2005, 08:55:59 AM »

Good travel vibes to DR Ben. ~~~~~~~~~~~

There is a ridiculous amount of snow outside today. :(

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2005, 08:56:17 AM »

Can anyone provide me with a good excuse for not going to the gym?
You're thin enough and trim enough already!

:-*
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2005, 09:01:20 AM »

Congrats on the move!

And congrats to DR Jose on Opening Night.

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2005, 09:04:45 AM »

And it has just been reported actress Beverly Tyler also passed away. Died in Reno, NV. Star of VOODOO ISLAND and co-starred with Miss Allison Hayes in HONG KONG CONFIDENTIAL.

Here she is in a publicity shot (brunette) with the cast of BEGINNING OR THE END

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2005, 09:05:34 AM »

DR TPUNK - your exercise program has taken YEARS off you!

Thanks! I was inspired by DR Dan's avatar and DR Jose's talk of working out.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2005, 09:07:03 AM »

POGUE...EASTERN STANDARD TIME
...The reason I've been out of pocket for the last weeks is that my computer has been in boxes.  The reason it has been in boxes is that everything I own has been in boxes.  And the reason for that is...The Lovely Wife and I have moved!  We are presently ensconced in Georgetown, Kentucky, about fifteen or so miles outside of Lexington in a lovely development with three lakes and abundant wildlife called Mallard Point.  Every day outside you encounter white-tail deer...sometimes as many as a half a dozen at a sighting.  Coyotes howl at night.  Geese honk overhead.  I've not seen any mallards or any other ducks, but then it is winter and the lake is semi-frozen.

End Part One.
Congrats!  Trading the honking of cars for the honking of geese is one of the bonuses I discovered upon switching coasts myself.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2005, 09:10:01 AM »

DR CharlesPogue, congrats on the move and your new way of life!

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2005, 09:11:19 AM »

Did anybody else watch last night's APPRENTICE?

SPACE in case you taped it.

I was disappointed with who Trump chose.  And I was disappointed with Randall who when asked if Trump should hire Rebecca said NO!  I get that there should only be one winner.  But Randall has always come across as kind and generous.  And I thought his actions just seemed mean.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2005, 09:18:46 AM »

...Three days after departing sunny LA, I've been shovelling ice off my driveway....
Ah, yes, one of the other advantages of "country" living: the gym culture hasn't taken over.  Who needs a gym when there's so much to do away from the treadmills?

(TPunk, another reason not to go to the gym: You're too busy planning your trip to Kentucky!)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up