Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: POACHED EGGS  (Read 48186 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
POACHED EGGS
« on: December 17, 2005, 12:05:06 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know The Story of The Poached Eggs, and now it is time for you to post until the poached cows come home - the cows were poached and now no one can find them.  Perhaps they're with the three French hens that have gone missing.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 12:25:01 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:POACHED EGGS
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 12:05:49 AM »

And the word of the day is: BUCOLIC!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 12:27:50 AM »

TOTD:
"All About Eve" and "Applause" head my list.

42nd Street -  film and musical

On Your Toes

Bullets Over Broadway

Noises Off.

A Chorus Line
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 12:29:43 AM »

Word Of the Day:  I like Beethoven's  6th - The Bucolic.
Good music for shepherds to wash their socks by night.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 06:01:18 AM »

Good morning, all!  It took me nine hours to finish my notes on the Act Two score of Toyland yesterday, and today I will begin Act Three.  This morning, I have to hit the office for a couple of hours with Tom Murray on Appendix material from 1923, the Lambs Club revue sketch "Toyland Today."  There's been a rumor for years that Herbert was burned out by the 1920s - he died in 1924 - but the "Toyland Today" songs are fantastic, and his very cynical Foxtrot dance band version of his hit song "Toyland" is an amazingly funny piece of music.  

I need to stop at Staples for a carton large enough to hold the items I'm shipping to Ohio on Monday, and I've got (again!) two more Mario Frangoulis pieces to turn in on Monday.  

TOD:  
  "Topsy-Turvy," which I think is the greatest backstager
  "All About Eve"
  "There's No Business Like Show Business"
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 06:20:40 AM »

Yesterday DR Jane said...............

I am re-reading David Copperfield, all 800 plus pages.  This time around it is taking me much longer than usual to read, but then I know how it ends.

He stills doesn't marry Claudia Schiffer,  Las Vegas, he tours with his magic act and does the occasional tv special.
Never stop dreaming.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 06:24:00 AM »

My all-time favourite movie about the theatre is THOSE LIPS, THOSE EYES with Frank Langella and BK's old pal, Tom Hulce.  It's one of those things I watch whenever I get jaded or depressed about the business to remind me why I got in it in the first place.  Just wonderful love letter to the theatre that hearkens back to my own beginnings and immersion in it.

I'm also fond of SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE...which I think shows the power of how one can get seduced by theatre...both as a practitioner and an audience.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 06:28:18 AM »

I'd like to add

Gypsy
Easter Parade
Star Is Born (Garland or Gaynor versions)
Victor/Victoria

some awful films
Staying Alive
Heading For Broadway
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 06:29:41 AM »

My all-time favourite movie about the theatre is THOSE LIPS, THOSE EYES with Frank Langella and BK's old pal, Tom Hulce.  It's one of those things I watch whenever I get jaded or depressed about the business to remind me why I got in it in the first place.  Just wonderful love letter to the theatre that hearkens back to my own beginnings and immersion in it.

A film I forgotten about. I concur.
And it then also made me think about

Enter Laughing
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 06:51:37 AM »

GOod morning!

Very overcast here and they're forecasting another "winter mix" tomorrow, so I suspect the temps will stay in the 40s today and start dropping tomorrow.

I'm glad I got the roof cleaned off during the one slightly warm, sunny (~50) day we've had this week, even if the leaves weighed more because they were wet.

Not terrifically sore this morning, but I've noticed that sometimes, muscle soreness waits a day before hitting me now at my age. Yuck.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2005, 06:53:53 AM »

The first film that came to mind re the topic of the day was the Garland/Cukor A STAR IS BORN. I guess it will forever be my favorite film about making it in the movie business. Score, direction, performances, production all just first rate.

But right up there are ALL ABOUT EVE and EASTER PARADE. Guilty pleasure is, as always, I LOVE MELVIN.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 06:55:36 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2005, 06:54:57 AM »

As for stage works, I don't think FOLLIES would apply exactly since it has show business as its background but is not really about making it.

So, A CHORUS LINE would head that list unquestionably.

Matt H.

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2005, 06:56:29 AM »

Going to do some home theater adjustments and calibrations late this afternoon and then going out to dinner tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2005, 06:58:58 AM »

I still have a couple of episodes on the MURDER SHE WROTE second disc, side 1 to watch this afternoon, and then I'm thinking I might re-watch SUNSET BLVD. Haven't seen it in awhile, and would love to spend some time with Norma "I AM big; it's the PICTURES that got small" Desmond.

BTW, I read this morning that season 3 of MURDER SHE WROTE comes out in March. Glad Universal isn't dragging its feet on releasing this one.

Now, give us ELERY QUEEN!

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2005, 07:03:30 AM »

I read this morning that President Bush is speaking to the nation on Sunday night at 9, but I guess ABC's ONCE UPON A MATTRESS will be over by then. I assume it starts at 7. Haven't checked the listings to make sure, but I'm guessing that's when it will air.

Who else is planning to watch it?

Cillaliz

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2005, 07:03:43 AM »

I saw this in the newspaper today - On Dec. 17, 1903, Orville and Wilbur Wright took the first successful man-powered airplane flights, near Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. So in honor of Orville and Wilbur here's a poem I memorized in second or third grade and for some reason still remember.

Wilbur Wright and Orville Wright

Said Orville Wright to Wilbur Wright,
These birds are very trying.
I'm sick of hearing them cheep-cheep
About the fun of flying.
A bird has feathers, it is true.
That much I freely grant.
But must that stop us, W?"
Said Wilbur Wright, "It shan't."

And so they built a glider, first,
And then they built another.
—There never were two brothers more
Devoted to each other.
They ran a dusty little shop
For bicycle-repairing,
And bought each other soda-pop
And praised each other's daring.

They glided here, they glided there,
They sometimes skinned their noses.
—For learning how to rule the air
Was not a bed of roses—
But each would murmur, afterward,
While patching up his bro.
"Are we discouraged, W?"
"Of course we are not, O!"

And finally, at Kitty Hawk
In Nineteen-Three (let's cheer it!),
The first real airplane really flew
With Orville there to steer it!
—And kingdoms may forget their kings
And dogs forget their bites,
But not till Man forgets his wings
Will men forget the Wrights.

-Stephen Vincent Benet

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2005, 07:23:00 AM »

I've been meaning to change my avatar all week since I shaved off the goatee on Monday morning. Anyway, this is a picture from a year or so ago, but it does represent the way I look right now (well, probably a few more gray hairs and wrinkles thrown in).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2005, 07:29:33 AM »

Nice new avatar, DR MATTH!

And great bear/tree picture DR TOMovOZ!

Yea, exactly where IS TCB?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2005, 07:32:00 AM »

Well....

A CHORUS LINE - the musical NOT the movie
PIPPIN - the last few minutes when they take away everything except the bare stage is very interesting!
LIGHT UP THE SKY - about a producer trying to mount a play, very funny

ALL ABOUT EVE
A STAR IS BORN - Garland
I COULD GO ON SINGING - Garland, again

MOON OVER BROADWAY
COMPANY - MAKING THE CAST ALBUM

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2005, 07:46:51 AM »

Thanks, DR JRand.

I'm off now to get into some trouble around the house. I'm sure I can find something to occupy me until I get cleaned up for my excursions later today.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2005, 07:59:32 AM »

Just got called in to work early...well.....earlier....so I am off.  That's okay.  Hopefully we will have lots of fun people in the store today.  And I get to work with Molly all day and NOT the other girl.  :)

And tomorrow all day with Molly from Noon to Six!!  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2005, 08:30:27 AM »

Hello, All!

Greetings from cold, wet, cloudy Johnston, South Carolina!

My flight in was without serious consequence, although my shuttle ride to SFO was fraught with peril as the driver seemed hellbent on breaking some record or other for taking curves at breakneck speed.  I was sliding all over the place.

The flight from SFO to Atlanta was lovely and relaxing.  Very quiet and laidback with plenty of sleeping potential (but not nearly enough sleep).  It was 4 hours.

Atlanta's airport was, in a word, hectic.  It is one of othe busiest places I've ever been through.

The flight from Atlanta to Columbia was on bus someone attached wings to.  I did get a few winks in during the hour-long flight.  And I arrived to a blustery, rainy, foggy day.

It's good to be here and so far, so good.  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2005, 08:33:57 AM »

Favorite back-stage stories (movies):

In addition to the ones named in other posts on this topic, I'll add:

With A Song in My Heart -- the biographical musical of the professional life of Jane Froman.

Love Me or Leave Me -- the Ruth Etting story.

I'm also fond of "Good Morning, Babylon," the story of two Italians who came to the U.S. (from a long line of cathedral builders) and got jobs with D.W. Griffith to design his sets for "Intolerance."  Don't have a clue whether it's based on a true story, but it's a fascinating film.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2005, 08:35:50 AM »

I am eating well.  I'm sleeping well.  I could very easily get used to "retirement" and doing what I felt like doing when I felt like doing it.

That said, I'm using my mom's computer (dial-up modem) and will probably post only once daily while I'm here.

Let me say it now, lest I forget:

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ONE AND ALL AND ALL AND ONE!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2005, 08:37:40 AM »

P.S. When I logged on at 11:25 a.m. est, I thought it very odd indeed that I was the only one here...not a creature was stirring anywhere (I checked "Who's Online").

I guess folks are busy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2005, 08:39:06 AM »

Good Morning!

DR Ron Pulliam - Glad to know that you're safe and sound and comfortable in South Carolina.  There's no place like home.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2005, 08:39:51 AM »

And on that note, I need to get ready to get ready to head out.  Matinee in two and half hours.  And a few errands to run before heading to the theatre.  I'll be back between shows...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2005, 08:39:55 AM »

BTW, I read this morning that season 3 of MURDER SHE WROTE comes out in March. Glad Universal isn't dragging its feet on releasing this one.

Well, they certainly are dragging their feet on seasons 2 of DRAGNET and ADAM-12  :-\

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2005, 09:05:13 AM »

I'm up, I'm up, and feeling decent.  She of the Evil Eye is here already, but I have to hang around until ten, when the gal is coming to replace the bamboo blinds in the dining room.  Perhaps I'll fill out Christmas cards until then.  

Nine o'clock and there's no one in the jernt.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2005, 09:28:39 AM »

Here it is, the Saturday morning after the last Friday of school before Christmas Break, what a relief! This week was filled with running from school to school and back again, rehearseing, calming down freaked out teachers that are freaking out over the condition of the Christmas Program. They couldn't believe how calm I was. If they thought the final rehearsal was bad, they should attend some final dress rehearsals of a full scale musical.

One school does a Christmas Prayer Service. The same idea each year. I try and vary the music as much as possible. It's a good service, very prayerful, and from a "diretor's" standpoint, a piece of cake. Nothing is memorized, all the words for the songs are projected on the wall and no one has lines, it's all read by a series of readers and then acted out. It's a really good thing,

The other school's program is a bit more of an undertaking. I create it from start to finish. This year's theme was "Share the Light". Songs about light, and the theme of being "light for the world" held together by some patter about the songs. Word to the wise... never put flashlights in 350 kids hands and expect them not to play with them during the program. Well, it wasn't that bad, as mom said, it added to the charm of the evening. One of the highlights of the evening was the singing of "Go Light Your World" and 350 flashlights swaying in the air at one point. The program went VERY well, one of the best, as mom said. Good times... and now it's over.

It will be nice to slow down a bit this week, maybe I'll be able to post more!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up