Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: HAB GUBMUH  (Read 57986 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:HAB GUBMUH
« Reply #180 on: December 20, 2005, 02:15:00 PM »

I love "A Christmas Story" as well!  The movie's ambience is so mid-1940s, it's like a memory of my early Ohio childhood, and it brings back so many memories of my Grandmother's house, decorations, five and dime stores.  And I think it makes a trip to Santa the trip to hell it always was.

I'm also fond of "The Ref," which is like a pleasant version of my Ohio family holiday gatherings.

"AWonderful Life" is wonderful, but it doesn't make me quiver with anticipation and demand a yearly viewing.  Once a decade is fine.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #181 on: December 20, 2005, 02:23:53 PM »

So... If the transit workers get back to work, just how will the fines for going on strike be collected?  Enforced?

*And I'm just wondering why Mayor Bloomberg just hasn't reached into his pocket and grabbed some loose change to pay the striking workers what they want.

;D

I think some of the demands are really outrageous... I posted some of them earlier... they are jsut unrealistic.  I sure would like to get a guaranteed 3 - 4 % raise each year and all my health benefits for 1% a year and a guaranteed pension at  62 which is what they are being offered. And BTW this offer is for the new guys... people alerady employed get a guaranteed pension at   55.  But that's not good enough, they want a  8% raise every year and free health care and guaranteed full pension at 55 for everyone.

Pigs at the trough... pigs at the trough!  Not to mention that the MTA has a billion $ surplus and they keep raising the fares.

Oh and my cable bill and phone bill and and local taxes all include surplus fees that go to the MTA.....

oooh no... I gotstarted.... better sign off now before Istarta a REAL rant!!

Laters!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

MBarnum

« Reply #182 on: December 20, 2005, 02:28:49 PM »

And I'm not sure I've ever admitted this here on HHW... But...

I have to say, I've never gotten into "It's Wonderful Life".  Yes, there are some wonderful moments in the movie for me, but, all in all, I find it a hard movie to sit through.  It gets kind of boring for me.

DR Jose, I am afraid that our friendship is over!

;)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #183 on: December 20, 2005, 02:34:44 PM »

I'm also fond of "The Ref," which is like a pleasant version of my Ohio family holiday gatherings.

"I've kidnapped my parents."   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

FJL

« Reply #184 on: December 20, 2005, 02:37:26 PM »

Elmore - Someone on TV said the union also owns a building that's worth about $60-million, in addition to the $3-million or so they have.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #185 on: December 20, 2005, 02:37:30 PM »

The problem with IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE is that it's been over-exposed.  When it's copyright ran out.  It got played everywhere!  I just take a sabbatical from it every so often.  It's a terrific movie but really went through a period of overkill when guys like Spielberg and others were featuring it in their own movies.

MBarnum

« Reply #186 on: December 20, 2005, 02:38:02 PM »

Actually it has been several years now since I have watched IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE....I love the movie and have loved it since I was a kid. Back then I would watch it just about every Christmas.

A CHRISTMAS STORY I had never seen until about 2 years ago. My sister LOVES this movie and I was expecting to also love it....but I didn't. I didn't dislike it or anything, but it just didn't warm my heart the way some other Christmas movies do, and it isn't one that I would likely watch again...and I am not a huge fan of any of the versions of SCROOGE...it was just never a favorite story.

Well, anymore Christmas confessions!?

MBarnum

« Reply #187 on: December 20, 2005, 02:40:04 PM »

THE SONG OF BERNADETTE, while not really a Christmas movie, always used to play at Christmas time when I was a kid, and I loved it.

I have it on DVD now but have not watched it.

MBarnum

« Reply #188 on: December 20, 2005, 02:40:40 PM »

WHITE CHRISTMAS is another favorite. I have yet to see HOLIDAY INN.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #189 on: December 20, 2005, 02:45:12 PM »

BK, I too am one of those actors who likes to be off book as quickly as possible.  That way I can actually start to interact with the other actors, move properly, and generally be at the director's disposal to try things.

I know a lot of actors who cling to the book, saying "I'm learning the lines organically."  Whatever the Hell that means.  I figure once I've learned them, I have the flexibility to explore the many varied possibilities of saying them.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #190 on: December 20, 2005, 03:07:39 PM »

Well... 7:30 curtain tonight, so...

Laters...

Oh!  DR MBarnum - Well, if I can 'forgive' your Bollywood "habit", then...

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

« Reply #191 on: December 20, 2005, 03:11:41 PM »

Trips to See Santa Department:  One of the pluses of having your Dad be the manager of the store is that Santa always knew your name and all about your naughty to nice ratio (maybe that part wasn't such a plus, come to think of it  ;D).

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #192 on: December 20, 2005, 03:13:34 PM »

WHITE CHRISTMAS is another favorite. I have yet to see HOLIDAY INN.

Just watch WHITE CHRISTMAS with the color turned off.  You'll pretty much have it then (you might need to squint a little to make Danny Kaye look like Fred Astaire).

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #193 on: December 20, 2005, 03:14:18 PM »

I know a lot of actors who cling to the book, saying "I'm learning the lines organically."  Whatever the Hell that means.  I figure once I've learned them, I have the flexibility to explore the many varied possibilities of saying them.

I always thought it meant "I'm getting the feel of the scene so I can paraphrase and never worry about the author's actual lines or rhythms within the dialogue."  These actors never do classical plays, I suspect.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #194 on: December 20, 2005, 03:44:47 PM »

I like It's A Wonderful Life - I even SORT OF liked the remake with Marlo Thomas....sort of!

I also try to get off book as soon as I can.  As I wrote about last September, however, it is HELL working with an "actor" who doesn't learn his lines....that is what made MY THREE ANGELS such hell for me.  It was HELL....in rehearsal I got notes for prompting him and not giving him "time to say the line" - well, it's NOT Chekhov....if you have to THINK about it, you are wasting too much time!

And of course it was awful in performance - sometimes I would finally try to lead him around to what he was supposed to say, but he just repeat the line I had just said....and of course if I talked after a LONG pause it seemed as though I had forgotten MY lines.

Oh...someone stop me....I am remembering something best forgotten!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #195 on: December 20, 2005, 03:46:00 PM »

I always thought it meant "I'm getting the feel of the scene so I can paraphrase and never worry about the author's actual lines or rhythms within the dialogue."  These actors never do classical plays, I suspect.

Ain't it the truth, DR ELMORE.  Why do some people think they don't have to say the lines as written?  WHY? WHY?

Of course they say what they want, but if you try to say something that's not in the script to cover their asses, they look at you like you're crazy.  :P

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #196 on: December 20, 2005, 03:46:26 PM »

Tonight is the NIP/TUCK two hour season finale.  We find out who the Carver is......I have a good idea!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #197 on: December 20, 2005, 03:52:11 PM »

Ain't it the truth, DR ELMORE.  Why do some people think they don't have to say the lines as written?  WHY? WHY?

Of course they say what they want, but if you try to say something that's not in the script to cover their asses, they look at you like you're crazy.  :P

In graduate school I acted in a terrible children's play with an actor who never learned lines, so I would wait until he finished fumbling around before I'd speak.  In one performance he actually said the correct line and I was so dumbfounded I screwed up mine.  All I could do was look at him and say "Right!"

Ginny

« Reply #198 on: December 20, 2005, 03:53:08 PM »

Confession:  I don't think I've ever watched It's a Wonderful Life all the way through.

On learning lines:  The most difficult blocking I ever had to learn was as The Mute in the DR elmore-directed Fantasticks, because I had no lines to which to "attach" my movements.  It ended up that I learned everybody else's lines, so I'd know when to move.

TOD - Nothing says "It's Christmas" to me more than hearing the boy soprano at King's College sing "Once in Royal David's City" on NPR on Christmas Eve.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #199 on: December 20, 2005, 04:03:06 PM »

DR Cillaliz - Good House Hunting Vibes!

*I truly admire anyone who can undertake such a process: buying a house.  I've been a renter all my life, and the whole concept of "buying a house" is just something that my brain cannot wrap itself around.  Points - ?? Mortgage - ?? Loans - ??  Just does not compute right now for me.  When it comes time for me to buy a house, I just envision paying for the whole thing all at once.  "Here's my offer.  Here's my check."  -Yes, I'm being that optimistic!

;)

Not that's a concept I would like to be able to get to know.  You do have to understand that property here is inexpensive relative to many places in the country. What we consider a heafty price for a home is probably a down payment on the coasts

Cillaliz

« Reply #200 on: December 20, 2005, 04:08:09 PM »

I really do like It's a Wonderful Life, but not constantly- which as DR Pogue points out happened a while back

Jed

« Reply #201 on: December 20, 2005, 04:08:14 PM »

I'm always a fairly quick learner of my lines.  I try to get a pretty good idea of them before ever rehearsing the scene, and find that they really lock in my mind quickly once I have a bit of blocking to attach them to.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Cillaliz

« Reply #202 on: December 20, 2005, 04:09:19 PM »

Well, I think I'm going to find some dinner - I have some homemade tamales in the freezer - and watch Polar Express. I haven't seen it yet, so I'm hoping I enjoy it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: December 20, 2005, 04:39:56 PM »

I was once an It's A Wonderful Life junkie - used to run my 16mm print every Christmas.  I haven't watched it in ten years now, but even inserting the little Donna Reed clip into the LACC celeb video made me tear up, and I think I'll watch it again this year.  I think it's just about perfection in every way.

Everyone involved in this illegal strike should be fined.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #204 on: December 20, 2005, 04:56:44 PM »

DR CILLALIZ when you must begin thinking of names for your new home.  Every home with a turret must have its own name!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #205 on: December 20, 2005, 04:58:30 PM »

Yes MR BK, Donna Reed as Mary could give lessons to all these young "actresses" who are so popular today on television and the big screen.  Donna was also exceptional in her Oscar winning role in FROM HERE TO ETERNITY of course, and also in THE LAST TIME I SAW PARIS as Elizabeth Taylor's sister!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #206 on: December 20, 2005, 04:59:14 PM »

In graduate school I acted in a terrible children's play with an actor who never learned lines, so I would wait until he finished fumbling around before I'd speak.  In one performance he actually said the correct line and I was so dumbfounded I screwed up mine.  All I could do was look at him and say "Right!"

I know EXACTLY what you mean!!  It's so unexpected!

Watching DEAL OR NO DEAL....no TAR tonight! :(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #207 on: December 20, 2005, 04:59:26 PM »

Off to TVLAND

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #208 on: December 20, 2005, 05:05:18 PM »

A few years ago, I played Tobias (the lead) in a college production of "The Perfectionist" by Joyce Carol Oates.  I wasn't going to the college, but Alice, a friend of mine, directed it and she had several non-student participants.  We performed it as if we were doing a radio broadcast (even though no one asked permission to do it this way ::)).  We had scripts in hand and a sound effects person and the guy playing my son was a quadriplegic (hence the radio broadcast format).  Anyway, the characters of Tobias and Willy Rebb (his co-worker) had this one interchange (it's the only specific one that I can remember) within a scene that was something like:

Tobias:  So you wrote a letter.
Willy:  A letter (pausing to consider his words carefully) ...came to be written.

But Dan, the guy playing Willy said, "A letter just appeared" (with no pause to consider what he, the character, was saying).  Now, that may seem like a small change, but Dan did things like that all the way through the script just because he wanted to!  And the director let him!  AARRGGHH!!  And because he got to make any changes he wanted, a couple of the other actors decided that they wanted to make a few changes.  Overall, there weren't any really big changes, just things all over the place.  It was quite frustrating.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 05:08:55 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #209 on: December 20, 2005, 05:07:38 PM »

I have a ride to work tomorrow! Well to my internship so that I can work with the kids.  Still no good way to get to GMHC, so no income for me this week. :(
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up