Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MERE  (Read 51982 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:MERE
« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2005, 07:32:58 PM »

Tomovoz, do you mean I'm beguiling and mysterious or glazing and cracked?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 07:39:35 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Cillaliz

« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2005, 07:33:51 PM »

I have had a most wonderful visit with my Niece.  We have played, shopped, watched movies, eaten and had as much fun as you can pack into 2 days without getting stressed out. She was tired tonight, so we stayed home. I made her dinner and we rented a couple movies. She crashed early, but that's a good thing, she really needs to get some rest.

Cillaliz

« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2005, 07:35:48 PM »

My mother gave me a number of old cameras over the holidays including a Realist Stereo Camera. Does anyone know much about them?  I've found a lot on the internet, but would like to discuss it with someone who may have used one. They take the 3-D slides.

Cillaliz

« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2005, 07:36:17 PM »

It is really quiet here tonight.  

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #124 on: December 28, 2005, 07:38:45 PM »

PAGE FIVE SMILE:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Tomovoz

« Reply #125 on: December 28, 2005, 07:42:53 PM »

Tomovoz, do you mean I'm beguiling and mysterious or glazing and cracked?
You choose.
Maybe just Leonardo in drag.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2005, 07:45:48 PM »

I'm at my house after going to Costco.  I bought new genuine sheepskin car seat covers, a treehouse/scratch post for my cat and a couple of other things...I have officially spent all of my Christmas money. ;)

« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 07:46:17 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2005, 07:46:38 PM »

Right now, I'm listening to our very own DR Ben on "Showtime" on BBC's radiowales!!  Today is the first day of the broadcast.  It'll be available for a week.  Everyone should (if you can) try to listen to it.  I'm also recording it for Ben, so if you want a CD copy, let me know.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #128 on: December 28, 2005, 08:11:40 PM »

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!  About five minutes before the end of the radio broadcast (and it was a shorter episode, which made me wonder why), Beverley Humphries (the host) announces that those who are listening on FM have to change channels because sports is coming on...and then sports comes on the Internet broadcast!  They don't broadcast the rest of the show with Ben!  DAMN THEM!!! :'(

« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 08:14:08 PM by George »

George

« Reply #129 on: December 28, 2005, 08:12:07 PM »

One of the things that Beverley does that I thought was a bit rude was talk about Chita Rivera and the incredible splash that she made in her London performance of West Side Story singing "America," but then Beverley plays the movie soundtrack, sung Rita Moreno! :o

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #130 on: December 28, 2005, 08:17:07 PM »

Yes, but remember that Chita Rivera *did* win the Annual Rita Moreno Award by mistake one year (obscure SNL News story reference).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

George

« Reply #131 on: December 28, 2005, 08:18:06 PM »

I am Chita, I am not Rita,
Rita is Rita and not Chita...

;)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #132 on: December 28, 2005, 08:18:16 PM »

I enjoyed the book WICKED (this was before I saw the musical version in NYC), but it did leave me somewhat depressed and out of sorts and just slightly unsatisfied. Say what you will about the book of the Broadway musical, for me it was an improvement on the novel in terms of plot and coming full circle with THE WIZARD OF OZ.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #133 on: December 28, 2005, 08:23:39 PM »

I had a very entertaining evening of DVD watching.

I started with the third disc of FRIENDS which contains all of the final episodes of their last season. Even having seen them several times, I was blubbering like a baby through the final two shows. Pathetic, I know, but it's the truth.

Cillaliz

« Reply #134 on: December 28, 2005, 08:25:10 PM »

I enjoyed the book WICKED (this was before I saw the musical version in NYC), but it did leave me somewhat depressed and out of sorts and just slightly unsatisfied. Say what you will about the book of the Broadway musical, for me it was an improvement on the novel in terms of plot and coming full circle with THE WIZARD OF OZ.

I found WICKED the book very dark, but I did enjoy it and thought about it long after I finished reading it. I thought the musical was much lighter and much more suited to theatre. In some ways it was more satisfying to me, but the novel had much more depth to it.   I have Son of a Witch but haven't started it yet.

FJL

« Reply #135 on: December 28, 2005, 08:26:05 PM »

Has it been pointed out on here that CHITA RIVERA:  THE DANCER'S LIFE opened on Rita Moreno's birthday (December 11)?

Matt H.

« Reply #136 on: December 28, 2005, 08:27:37 PM »

Next up was SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE SECRET WEAPON, the second of the Universal series of Holmes mysteries.

This film was one of the four movies in the series which were in the public domain, and thus this movie was readily available for viewing albeit in hideous third or fourth generation dubs that robbed the film of any richness or depth. How grand to see it looking so beautiful once again! Enjoyed it thoroughly.

Matt H.

« Reply #137 on: December 28, 2005, 08:30:49 PM »

I finished the evening with another CSI: NY episode from the first season boxed set. A very disturbing episode involving two graphic cases - one a multiple homicide at a diner and the other involving the death of a man whose leg had been amputated under unusual circumstances.

Not the stuff of sweet dreams.

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: December 28, 2005, 08:33:52 PM »

Since I had an experience with a roadshow movie today with THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY, I think I'll save DR. ZHIVAGO for this weekend, perhaps Saturday. I'll look for something a little lighter tomorrow, perhaps a musical, a Disney animated feature, or both!

FJL

« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2005, 08:35:19 PM »

Saw the RADIO CITY CHRISTMAS SPECTACULAR tonight, and must say I was impressed at how effective the whole shebang is.  Really kept me in a holiday frame of mind.  

By the third Rockettes routine, I thought I might have grown weary of them, but it may have just been that dance routine, because they won me back completely with their next segment.   But there's also more sexual innuendo in the show than I remembered from the last time I saw it; I assume all of that went over the heads of the youngsters in the audience, though.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #140 on: December 28, 2005, 08:44:05 PM »

I'm at my house after going to Costco.  I bought new genuine sheepskin car seat covers, a treehouse/scratch post for my cat and a couple of other things...I have officially spent all of my Christmas money. ;)

Mmmmm...DR George, I think I wouldn't ever get out of my car if it had sheepskin seat covers.

My mom got my sisters Ugg boots with sheepskin linings for Christmas, and they both have since said that they've worn them just about 24/7.  I was tempted to get myself a pair of them myself, but I don't think that style would fly on a guy outside of Aspen.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 08:56:53 PM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #141 on: December 28, 2005, 08:47:25 PM »

Oh my Gosh!  By accident, I just flipped onto a sitcom called FREDDIE starring Freddie Prinze.  Good grief, what has happened to Brian Austin Green???  He has to be the gayest man on televsion. He should try for a role on WILL & GRACE.

(Oh, by the way, FREDDIE is terrible.)
[/size]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #142 on: December 28, 2005, 08:49:28 PM »

Good Evening!

On the way into understudy rehearsal, I made a stop at Border's to pick up a calendar - since they're already 1/2 price - and to get a book for my brother, Jay - it's his birthday on January 1.  And since I had a "Buy 1, Get 1 50%" coupon...  Well, I actually had TWO of them...

:)

I was a little antsy about using both coupons at the same time and at the same store, and had pondered heading to another Border's after leaving the one I was in.  Well...

I found a copy of "A Million Little Pieces" for my brother - he had mentioned wanting a copy - and since it was not on sale, I could use the coupon.  Well, then I had to find another book.  I had a couple of possibilities in my hand, then happened to come across the new-ish paperback edition of Ted Chapin's "Everything Was Possible: The Birth of the Musical Follies" - which I hadn't picked up yet (surprisingly so).  So...  I headed to register, books and coupon in hand, and made my purchase.

-OH!  I wanted to get a calendar!  So...

I had had my eyes on one of those arty ones printed in Italy.  This one featured classic chocolate ads.  Well, I found a copy still sitting on the shelves.  Yeah!  But... Then I spotted another one by the same company with classic New York City travel posters.  Yeah!  But...  So... Since they were 1/2-off, I decided to buy both of them.

;)

But I still had a another coupon to use up...

After a minute or so of hemming-and-hawing, I decided just to stay put at the Border's...  And I also noticed that a couple of the people at the cash registers had changed - I think everyone was getting back/going to lunch.... So... I headed upstairs to the CDs and DVDs, and picked up both volumes of "Sondheim Sings" - which, again, surprisingly so, I didn't have yet.

And then it was back to cash registers again with the calendars and CDs in hand... OH, and the coupon!

...And like DR George, I have officially spent all of my Christmas money.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: December 28, 2005, 08:53:50 PM »

Then came the understudy/brush-up rehearsal which very well (again).

And since we don't have another u/s rehearsal tomorrow... I have a totally free day...

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #144 on: December 28, 2005, 08:59:38 PM »

...And we had a good show tonight too.  My friend, Mike, came up from Richmond, and I was able to snag him a comp - we're sold out this week - and he had a great time.

And then...

We're still in the midst of our "Caroling for Charities" collection campaign for BC/EFA and Food & Friends.  We've been "selling" autographed show posters for $40 a pop.  Well...

Apparently, last night, Mr. Richard Adler came to see the show!  -Things that fall under "See what you miss when you leave the pit right after the show?".... And also, "Richard Adler is still alive??!?!?"  In any case...

Mr. Adler signed a couple of posters, and they offered some of them tonight for an extra donation...  And since I had yet to make my annual Christmas donation to BC/EFA...

I will definitely getting this one framed.  *And I will not be putting it up on e-Bay as some people have suggested.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 09:00:08 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2005, 08:59:40 PM »

Mmmmm...DR George, I think I wouldn't ever get out of my car if it had sheepskin seat covers.

My mom got my sisters Ugg boots with sheepskin linings for Christmas, and they both have since said that they've worn them just about 24/7.  I was tempted to get myself a pair of them myself, but I don't think that style would fly on a guy outside of Apsen.

When I originally got the seat cover (a birthday present from my parents quite a few years ago) and put it in my car, a friend said that he wanted to get one and make himself a sheepskin-lined jock strap out of it!! :o As far as I know, he never did. ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: December 28, 2005, 09:01:08 PM »

When I originally got the seat cover (a birthday present from my parents quite a few years ago) and put it in my car, a friend said that he wanted to get one and make himself a sheepskin-lined jock strap out of it!! :o As far as I know, he never did. ;)

Well... there's always lambskin...

:o
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: December 28, 2005, 09:01:58 PM »

DR td - FEEL BETTER AND SPEEDY RECOVERY VIBES!!![/size]
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #148 on: December 28, 2005, 09:05:51 PM »

Oh my Gosh!  By accident, I just flipped onto a sitcom called FREDDIE starring Freddie Prinze.  Good grief, what has happened to Brian Austin Green???  He has to be the gayest man on televsion. He should try for a role on WILL & GRACE.

(Oh, by the way, FREDDIE is terrible.)
[/size]

It IS a terrible show in every respect.

And the irony is that Brian Greene is playing a RAGING heterosexual, a womanizer without another thought in his head except how to get the NEXT woman he sees in his bed.

I gave this show two chances and have never (and will never) revisit it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: December 28, 2005, 09:06:28 PM »

I only glanced at that-very funny :)

It's actually very funny - and educational - book.  -I gave copies of it to the writers of Triangle, the show I MD'ed up at Williamstown this past summer.

In fact... They just started rehearsals for Clifford Odets' Awake and Sing at Arena Stage.  -And there's lots of Yiddish in the play.  I was talking with literary intern, and mentioned "Yiddish With Dick And Jane", and I dropped off a copy for him a few days later.  Well...  It's become sort of required reading for the cast of A&S.

Learning is fun!

Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up