Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FIRMLY ENSCONCED  (Read 95000 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:FIRMLY ENSCONCED
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2006, 01:48:47 PM »

I watched another CSI: NY episode this afternoon (lunch ran long and I didn't have time for a full length film). This episode had to do with people dying of formaldehyde poisoning. Fascinating case.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2006, 01:51:56 PM »

Page Four Lucy and Ricky Threshold Dance!!!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2006, 01:55:33 PM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone.  Vacation is OVER, baby.  Time for the errant and truant to get their butt cheeks back here.

I'm home and here!  My house-sitting gig is finally over!  The people come home today.  That was confirmed last night because Rita (the wife) called me to confirm that everything was okay with the house.  They have a basement that has flooded in the past, so I had to check the sump pump every day to make sure that it was working properly.  It was and there was no flooding!  So, all is well with the world. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2006, 02:01:27 PM »

I can understand your frustration, DR Dan, but I suspect these staores have instituted this policy because there are some DVD sets now (not yours particularly) which have proproetary extras exclusive to one store or another, and it's just too much hassle dealing with it all.

Sorry this happened, however.

I bought the soundtrack to "The Producers" at Borders and it has an extra bonus track, supposedly not available anywhere else.  Another reason for the policy could be that some people mght buy a copy of something at Costco (for a low price) and return it to a store that charges full price!  You could make a profit just by returning things!  Even if you only got store credit, it would still be more than what you could get it at Costco. ;)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 02:02:34 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2006, 02:12:43 PM »

Still rainy and gusty here in the City of Studio.  Just relaxing until rehearsal time.

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2006, 02:20:52 PM »

I guess I'll be going with ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM when I go back downstairs.

Oh, I did record on the DVR a Bob Fosse special off the Biography Channel. It may be something I already had on tape, but the description was vague so I recorded it and will watch tonight before settling in with network TV.

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2006, 02:21:50 PM »

So, I'll head down now to clean the dining room and then watch some media.

WBBL.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2006, 02:27:40 PM »

ANNA AND THE KING was a film that I had never seen.  Then, the summer we were doing THE KING AND I (the same summer Jodie Foster's version came out) - I watched Irene Dunne's version.

I really do like it.  And I think Rex Harrison is very good as the King.  Dunne as Anna and Linda Darnell as Tuptim are very good, too.  I was sorry I had neglected this version of the story and bought the VHS within a few days.  Still one of my favorites.

And I think that the book of the musical follows this movie more than it does the original book, although the fate of the little boy is different.

My favorite part of ANNA AND THE KING, however, is Gale Sondergaard as Lady Thiang - her speech about the mural and her hopes for Anna and her affect on the King and his children is stunning.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2006, 02:30:15 PM »

Went to Blockbuster and used half of my gift certificate. Didn't find any movies that I wanted to buy...really, how many copies of ARE WE HOME YET does one store need to carry?

...so I rented 3 gay themed movies...A Spanish film called KM.0 (KILOMETER 0) which I have seen before, and loved...STRAIGHT JACKET which seems to be a version of Rock Hudson' life in the 50s...and the Israeli film YOSSI AND JAGGER which is about two soldiers who fall in love.

MBarnum

« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2006, 02:31:35 PM »

JRand55, THE HUNTERS was on TV today so I taped it. After I watch that and STAGECOACH I will need to send an interview request out to a certain someone!

MBarnum

« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2006, 02:32:57 PM »

The weather here is also very odd...it must be close to 60 degrees out...very warm..no rain...I feel I must go out and do a little sprucing up of the front yard which at the moment looks like crapola.

Michael

« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2006, 02:36:08 PM »

I like the olive garden because so far they make the best chicken marsala that I can find.
Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2006, 02:36:57 PM »

DR Dan I am very confused. You had the receipt, but it was for a different store? (i.e., you tried to return the BestBuy dvd at Circuit City and vice versa?).  I didn't know that there was any store that would accept any item that was not bought at that store.

It sounds very frustrating and I'm also sorry you had to go through that.  But it makes sense (unless i'm misunderstanding the whole thing!).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2006, 02:37:24 PM »

Under 700 posts to achieve our new plateau.  Surely we can do that in the next hour if everyone on this board right now made 100 posts immediately.

Jennifer

« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2006, 02:37:45 PM »

Wow, watched the Rose Parade at my sister's house in high definition. All I can say is WOW! Exceptional.  Such a difference from the regular version.

Jennifer

« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2006, 02:38:19 PM »

Speaking of Italian food, I had the most delicious tortellini in rosee sauce last week. I just love rosee sauce!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2006, 02:57:07 PM »

Hmmm....watching AROUND THE WORLD, and 1943 movie with Kay Kyser and his band.

Joan Davis just came out onstage during a show in Australia....did two cabrioles and tour jete INTO the pit...LOL.

But what I notice in the first song....Kyser's band has 5 trumpets, 5 trombones, 5 saxophones, piano, drums, guitar, and (I think) some kind of tuba....cept it's smaller....not sure what it is...

No windwinds?  What's the deal?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2006, 02:59:23 PM »

Hmm...I guess it's a Bb tuba.

Cillaliz

« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2006, 03:06:11 PM »

JRand, no I didn't make it to Kong yet.  Saturday there were things I wanted to do and yesterday I had an open house to go to. Today is the last day of my vacation and I am catching a cold, so I decided not to leave the house all day and just lounge around.  I can't remember the last time I've done that and with the move looming on the horizon, there will be little time to do that for the next couple months.  It will be packing, moving, cleaning etc.

I have to say I'm looking forward to it.  I never thought I'd say I'm looking forward to a move, but this is such a positive one and close enough that I can do it little by little. I have had many volunteer to help, but you know how that goes, when the boxes are actually out and need to be filled and carried, people tend to evaporate or have very pressing plans, so I'm not going to count on it.

Cillaliz

« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2006, 03:07:47 PM »

I will add I wouldn't have gotten the move done last year from the lake home here with out my friend Gretchen.  I'm not sure she's going to want to come to Sioux City to help again, but if she does that would be fabulous.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2006, 03:07:48 PM »

We're talking Jan 16?  An Ayn Rand day?

I was the defense attorney in that one a looooong time ago.  And I just could not memorize my summary speech at the end--something really unheard of for me in my acting days.  So I would inevitably skip over sections and re-stitch the whole thing together in unexpected ways.  And yet, I unerringly "won" every night come jury-polling time.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Cillaliz

« Reply #111 on: January 02, 2006, 03:08:59 PM »

Eyetalian..... I like Botticelli's in Sioux City.  I especially like thier Chicken Piccatta

JMK

« Reply #112 on: January 02, 2006, 03:09:24 PM »

No windwinds?  What's the deal?

Ummmm....maybe because that particular section hasn't been invented yet?  Unless it's some sort of Chunkah band.   ;D

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Cillaliz

« Reply #113 on: January 02, 2006, 03:10:27 PM »

Speaking of Ayn Rand, I haven't read The Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged in a while. Maybe I'll reread them this year.

Cillaliz

« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2006, 03:12:58 PM »

One would think a Chunkah band would have windwinds...

JMK

« Reply #115 on: January 02, 2006, 03:15:11 PM »

Speaking of Ayn Rand, I haven't read The Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged in a while. Maybe I'll reread them this year.

JR will probably kill me for this, but--just read The Fountainhead.  It's the same story as Atlas Shrugged, only several hundred pages (and one unbearably long John Galt speech) shorter.   ;)

George

« Reply #116 on: January 02, 2006, 03:16:21 PM »

I like Italian food in general...lasagna, especially.  I make a pretty good lasagna, but it's just any recipe on a box of noodles or container of ricotta cheese.  What I do, though, is double everything in the recipe except the noodles.  That way there is plenty of "stuff."  I hate it when I'm making lasagna and I run out of sauce or cheese. :P

;)

JMK

« Reply #117 on: January 02, 2006, 03:16:29 PM »

Does anyone else remember when Faye Dunaway was announced for a film, then tv film, version of Atlas Shrugged?  <tick...tick...tick....>

JMK

« Reply #118 on: January 02, 2006, 03:18:23 PM »

I had an "Objectivist" friend when I was in high school who did manage to be actually objective at the B-movie turn of events about halfway through Atlas (the "secret town" bit).  He said, "Yes, didn't you just want to throw the book across the room at that point?"  To which I responded, "No, that part came during the unbearably long John Galt speech."   ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #119 on: January 02, 2006, 03:21:19 PM »

UH-oh....all the sax players just picked up violins, so my guess would be eventually some of the trumpet players and some of the trombone players double as well.

Misha Auer:  How would you feel if you were wearing a ceremonial robe made entirely of feathers?

Kay Kyser:  I'd be tickled to death.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up