Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY  (Read 16664 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2006, 01:30:04 PM »

Wow, I am really getting a LOT of DVD watching done this weekend...and I feel so lazy! There are tons of things I really should be doing, but....now another Richard Harrison spaghetti western (GUNFIGHT AT RED SANDS) and one of those early 1960s made in Florida movies (CHECKERED FLAG).

MBarnum

« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2006, 01:31:28 PM »

Have a good drive JRand55!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2006, 01:34:13 PM »

I saw 2 movies this weekend, Phantom of the Opera and Kill Bill Volume 2.

I didn't watch all of POTO, only the last half.  I don't think I'm going to need to watch the full film.  I was really shocked by how poorly Emmy Rossum sang, alternating between thin and reedy sounding, then doing this weird back in her throat thing.  If they were going to cast an unknown for the role, why didn't they select one with an awesome voice??

Kill Bill V2 was great.  I saw Volume 1 a year ago and liked it in spite of the violence which I actually found to be more cartoonish and artistic similar to Sin City.  I finally got arround to watching V2 last night and liked it as well.  Not nearly as violent and all of the questions from V1 were answered.  Uma Thurman kicked ass- I would think that would be the ultimate role to play when going through a divorce.  Quite therapeutic.

MBarnum

« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2006, 01:35:31 PM »

Page 4, made in Florida movie dance

Tomovoz

« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2006, 01:40:59 PM »

DR TOMovOZ (and Colin) I am certainly enjoying my view of Squeaky Beach today.
Good area for snakes too! They like to bask on the rocks.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 01:43:28 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2006, 01:46:17 PM »

Three deaths in Australian waters this weekend - drowning after a "freak wave' washed someone from the rocks, death by shark attack and death by box-jellyfish.  A dangereous time of the year for sun lovers.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2006, 02:11:57 PM »

He's back!  Still fighting all the crap and tsuris, but I had to call Skip Kennon, and for the nonce, the chills and trembling have stopped.  When the tax pulled past Barrymore's last night, I was happy to see the whole block looking festive.  Has anyone heard of a proposed closing date?

And so, back to bed!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2006, 02:15:51 PM »

Best of warm and comforting thoughts DR Elmore.
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2006, 02:31:29 PM »

Umm...Matt, what about pants?? :o

;)

I said it was a semi-date, so I figured I'd be semi-dressed.

i.e. NO PANTS!   ;)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2006, 02:34:18 PM »

I saw 2 movies this weekend, Phantom of the Opera and Kill Bill Volume 2.

Kill Bill V2 was great.  I saw Volume 1 a year ago and liked it in spite of the violence which I actually found to be more cartoonish and artistic similar to Sin City.  I finally got arround to watching V2 last night and liked it as well.  Not nearly as violent and all of the questions from V1 were answered.  Uma Thurman kicked ass- I would think that would be the ultimate role to play when going through a divorce.  Quite therapeutic.

I never saw Vol. 1 because I had read about the violence, and that kind of thing really gets to me; I can't see it as cartoon violence. I only see the blood sprayed and the limbs flying, and I just can't bear it.

But, could a person watch Vol 2 and understand everything without having seen Vol. 1? I've debated about recording it from STARZ since I knew I wouldn't make it through Vol. 1.

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2006, 02:36:24 PM »

Really enjoyed lunch and getting to know Don. I'm fairly sure we'll see each other again. At least, I was interested on my side. I gave him my card and he gave me his number, so I'll see if he's interested in a more private date at some point.

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2006, 02:37:46 PM »

I was also productive this afternoon. I got some needed phone calls made and laundry done, so I feel like I've accomplished a lot today, even if I haven't gotten to watch anything since yesterday's morning's THE GANG'S ALL HERE.

I'll bet the TV is enjoying the most welcome break from its exhausting work schedule!

Matt H.

« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2006, 02:53:38 PM »

Guess I'm going to have to jump off the internet now and get one of those bathrooms cleaned.

WBBL.

Ginny

« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2006, 03:00:15 PM »

Ginny, is there room for me and Rodzinski at the table on the 16th?

TPunk, I'm countin' on it!  Do you both have to work that day (MLK, Jr. holiday, you know)?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2006, 03:02:07 PM »

I never saw Vol. 1 because I had read about the violence, and that kind of thing really gets to me; I can't see it as cartoon violence. I only see the blood sprayed and the limbs flying, and I just can't bear it.

But, could a person watch Vol 2 and understand everything without having seen Vol. 1? I've debated about recording it from STARZ since I knew I wouldn't make it through Vol. 1.

I think the movie stands alone and that you would understand enough.  You would miss two of the revenge killings, which make up almost all of volume one, as well as some of her story, but I think that vol 2 would still make plenty of sense to you.  If you had any questions after watching, I could fill you in.  But beware, vol 2 is not violence-free.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2006, 03:03:08 PM »

TPunk, I'm countin' on it!  Do you both have to work that day (MLK, Jr. holiday, you know)?

I think that we'll both have that day off of work.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2006, 03:15:50 PM »

Interesting, since the "blood sprayed and limbs flying" is introduced in the film literally as "cartoon violence" - in a sequence told in Japanese animation.  All of the subsequent violence is then presented within that context.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2006, 03:23:45 PM »

Interesting, since the "blood sprayed and limbs flying" is introduced in the film literally as "cartoon violence" - in a sequence told in Japanese animation.  All of the subsequent violence is then presented within that context.

Well, there is also the fight scene between her and Vivica Fox as well.  Although not nearly as bad.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2006, 03:40:17 PM »

Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks department:   Well those of you who have met me may emit a gasp even larger than when you saw me as a long-haired hippie freak yesterday (and/or as a short-haired, clean-shaven preppy, LOL), but we have just returned from ice skating with the kids.  Now I grew up in Utah and so of course skiied from the time I could walk but I had never even put ice skates on before, let alone attempted to skate in them.

Well, wonder of wonder, within minutes I was flawlessly executing a triple lutz klutz which left other skaters scurrying for the penalty box to give me room to flllyyyyyy.   ;D  Seriously, I did pretty well, never fell.  DS Betsy, who grew up ice skating in Wisconsin, said I was amazing, but she says that a lot when I'm not sure if she really means it (calling TCB....TCB, you have a punchline waiting).

Gabe announced a couple of weeks ago he wants to play ice hockey, thus the familial outing today to get the kids used to the feel of skates.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2006, 03:46:13 PM »

If you returned in one piece JMK, you did good!

Ben

« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2006, 04:11:55 PM »

TPunk, we (Anthony and me) will be on Long Island Friday, Saturday and part of Sunday otherwise I would join you for a birthday celebration at La Cocina. We will be back in time for dinner at Barrymore's with the lovely Ginny, the unmet DH Richard, the inscrutable Elmore and any other HHW's joining the table.

I am unable to see Miss Cook at the Met on the 20th but I might be able to join you someplace after the show. Keep me posted if it happens. We do have to meander out to New Jersey the next day for a Morelli family party but that shouldn't interfere with HHW.

I will be in the office tomorrow at my usual early morning hour and I may even be able to post a Dublin picture or two.

Healthy vibes to our dear Larry and break a leg for first preview vibes for the one and only Bruce Guy Kimmel Haines.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 04:12:17 PM by Ben »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2006, 04:40:49 PM »

Well, there is also the fight scene between her and Vivica Fox as well.  Although not nearly as bad.
That fight scene doesn't have the dismembered limbs and blood squirting everywhere.  Yep, they tear the room apart, but not each other.  I think of that opening scene as sort of a warm-up for what follows.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #112 on: January 08, 2006, 06:16:15 PM »

From Jose:
DR Jane - Would you like me to check and see if the Heidelberg has one of those auto-delivery systems for their macaroons?

Heavens no-thank you.  ;D   Maybe the almonds are good for me but nothing else in them is.  I might get some more in the spring, for now I still have marzipan, fruitcake and these fantastic chocolate toffee macadamia nuts to finish. ::)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 06:16:49 PM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #113 on: January 08, 2006, 06:21:07 PM »

Reverend JRand55 congratulations.

A second congrats for fitting into your skinny jeans.

Jane

« Reply #114 on: January 08, 2006, 06:33:59 PM »

SWW how much does Alex weigh?  When you are in control of what he eats do you say no coke or sweets?  The son of very close friends was a bit like Alex.  A really nice kid but when it came to eating he was a pain.  Once when they were visiting we all went for Chinese food.  He wouldn’t eat any of it, including the sweet and sour chicken.  On the way home we had to find a McDonald so he could have Chicken McNuggets.  I’m pleaded to say his eating habits improved as he got older.  Somehow he managed to be very healthy and played sports all through school.

Michael

« Reply #115 on: January 08, 2006, 06:39:27 PM »

Moishe, a Jewish actor is so DOWN  AND OUT, he's ready to take any acting gig that he can find. Finally, he gets a lead, a classified ad that says, "Actor needed to play an ape." "I could do that," says Moishe. To his surprise, the employer turns out to be the Central Park Zoo in New York

Owing to the mismanagement, the zoo has spent so much money renovating the grounds and improving the habitat, they can no longer afford to import the ape to replace the recently deceased one, so, until they can, they'll put an actor in an ape suit. Out of desperation, Moishe takes the offer.

At first, his conscience keeps nagging him, that he is being dishonest by fooling the zoo-goers.  Moishe also feels undignified in the ape suit, stared at by the crowds who watch his every move. But after a few days on the job, he begins to enjoy all the attention and starts to put on a show for all the zoo-goers. Moishe hangs upside down from the branches by his legs, swinging about on the vines, climbing up the cage walls and roaring with all his might, while beating on his chest. Soon, he's drawing a sizable crowd.

One day, when Moishe is swinging on the vines to show off to a group of school kids, his hand slips and he goes flying over the fence into the neighboring cage, the lion's den.

Terrified, Moishe backs up as far from the approaching lion as he can, covers his eyes with his paws and prays at the top of his lungs, "Shama Yisroel Adonoi Elaheinu, Adonoi Echud!"

The lion opens his powerful jaws and roars the response, "Baruch Shem K'vod Malchuso L'olam Va'ed"

From a nearby cage, a panda yells, "Shut up you schmucks, you'll get us all fired!
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #116 on: January 08, 2006, 06:43:52 PM »

Could one of you wonderful people with high speed internet access do me a quick favor?

Go to my new site at:

http://jeffreykauffman.net/

Click on "CDs and Writings" and then click on each of the MP3 hyperlinks and just let me know if it kicks in pretty fast for y'all.  Also, if it's not asking too much, click on the "Guestbook" link and tell me if the sound file loads.  I am still on dialup and it is just taking too long for me to adequately determine if everything's alright (my one and only ALW reference, hopefully, LOL).

Thank you muchly.

I’m not sure what you mean by MPs hyperlinks.  I listened to all five songs, each opened after about 20 seconds.  I didn’t experience the stopping problems, all worked well and enjoyed the music.

When I went into the guestbook I heard music.

Ginny

« Reply #117 on: January 08, 2006, 06:46:14 PM »

Whew!  Today I packed away all the Christmas decorations except the angels.  My plan to work in the family room during the Bengals' game worked well, but they lost and their very expensive quarterback suffered an awful knee injury.  I also watched West Wing, before which Martin Sheen gave a lovely tribute to John Spencer, whose character was the centerpiece of tonight's episode.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #118 on: January 08, 2006, 06:49:11 PM »

Elmore GOOD FEEL BETTER VIBES!

Matt H, glad you enjoyed your semi-date

Jane

« Reply #119 on: January 08, 2006, 06:50:11 PM »

Bryan just called, 'night.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up