Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SAN FERNANDO VALLEY OF THE DOLLS  (Read 21427 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE SAN FERNANDO VALLEY OF THE DOLLS
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2003, 07:37:15 AM »

Yes, I posted the picture without a caption on purpose because we can all just imagine it.  ::)

Ann Southern driving a Silver Cloud, how perfect.  Mr Devery would have been pleased!  Sorry you didn't meet Gale - YET!  One of the DR here at HHW has an episode or two of Oh! Susanna and My Little Margie on video!

Yes DRMATTH - that Adam Cartwright was a looker!  And yes he was good as Trapper John MD with Mr Harrison as well.  Remember they always showed Gregory in the shower during the opening credits!  ::)

The Sunset Strip guys, the Surfside Six guys, the Bourbon Street Beat guys, and the Hawaiian Eye guys....crime didn't stand a chance when Warner Bros was on the job!  ;D

TCB DID YOU WATCH YOUR TAPE YET?  Betty is getting impatient.  :o
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2003, 07:42:33 AM »

My first TV crush was the dad on FLIPPER as played by Brian Kelly. I was only about 5 years old.

Of 1950s teen heart throbs (I wasn't around in the 50s either Jed) I would rate Mark Damon, Gary Clarke, and John Saxon as my favorites. Van Williams would be another one. Loved Annette Funicello when I was a kid.

BK, I don't know if you were serious about an album with those names you mentioned, but wowee would that be a fun one to make!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2003, 07:50:39 AM »

Yep, that Warner stable of young hunks was something: Ty Hardin, Robert Conrad, Van Williams. They were all gorgeous.

I never went in much for the blondes like Troy Donahue or Richard Chamberlain. The darker, swarthier guys did it for me: George Maharis, Clint Walker, that type.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2003, 07:59:51 AM »

My hearththrobs are all in the Kritzer books, especially book three, but I've mentioned most of them before: Hayley Mills, Patty Duke, Yvette Mimieux, Ann-Margret, and earlier, Grace Kelly, Brigitte Bardot (man!), Leslie Caron and only about a hundred others.

Noel:  You look EXACTLY like Ira!  Seriously, he must have gotten around because the woman who runs Reprise! also told me they'd dated.  That darn Ira.  And the book of A Kiss Before Dying is a great first novel - the movie tries to do the twist (no spoilers here) but it can't do it like the book - in the book when you reach that point you literally have to stop and go back and reread stuff to make sure there was no cheating.  Brilliant, and imitated so many times it's not even funny.

As I mentioned, just saw Zohra Lampert in a bit role in Odds Against Tomorrow.  I also worked with her in the series Doctors Hospital.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2003, 08:00:21 AM »

GRRRR...gotta type quick, quick, quick like a winged bird on speed, cause I have to rush off to speech class to work on our group discussion project....which is a debate on the legalization of marijuana but perhaps we can switch it to dolls instead!

Favorite 50's heartthrob...BOBBY DARIN.  Dreamilicous.  

I had no idea a TV version of KMK existed...I soo have to find a copy.  Can I add Alfred Drake as my other favorite 50's heartthrob?  Really, I'm not joking here!

Gonna be late....darn it...gotta run!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2003, 08:17:37 AM »

I remember Zohra Lambert in the film LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH. That movie scared MBarnum to death when he was a youngun'.

Emily

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2003, 08:22:54 AM »

Maya don't forget to mention Canada in your debate!  ;)

http://pm.gc.ca/default.asp?Language=E&Page=Newsroom&Sub=FactSheets&Doc=fact_sh199906091003_e.htm

I had my last lecture today for Provincial Politics .  This class has been the best one I have taken yet at McGill with lots of interesting discussions, readings, lectures... everything was so fascinating that I had to do... even the papers were fun!  And apparently I  was not alone in this belief - the students gave the prof. a STANDING OVATION that lasted at least a couple of minutes after she dismissed us.  I have never seen that done before, but she definitely deserved it.  I think we *may* just get nicely marked on our finals. :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 08:23:32 AM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2003, 08:36:29 AM »

And Annette Funicello, of course.  She was declared that Mr Johnny Mathis, friend of DR MG, was her favorite singer and that his LP's rarely left her turntable!

Jennifer

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2003, 08:43:05 AM »

Hey re: yesterday's mention that everyday is Queen for a Day at HHW:

You guys are very funny.

BUT, I meant we should have Queen for a Day for the women of HHW who don't get to be Queens everyday :)

Jennifer

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2003, 08:51:02 AM »

DR Emily: I posted another code yesterday for amazon.ca and for chapters.ca.  Let me know if you didn't get them.

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2003, 08:54:13 AM »

Being born in the 70s I didn't have any heart throbs (or like BK likes to call them hearththrobs) in the 50s or 60s.  But I do remember as a young girl having posters of Shaun Cassidy on my wall.  Ooh ahhh! :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 08:55:13 AM by Jennifer »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2003, 08:54:37 AM »

I never once saw Mr. Stanley Kramer at his usual booth wearing a torn T-shirt, dirty jeans, and grungy sandals with dirty feet.

I have to make an observation:  Where else but HERE can someone -- who "never once saw" a celebrity -- tell us what he didn't see in such amazing detail!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 08:56:22 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2003, 09:00:30 AM »

Interesting poll from TRIO TV:

"BEST AWARDS SHOW - The best televised awards show is The Academy Awards®, which one in three Americans (32%) identified as their favorite. The Grammys came in at number two with 15% of the vote. When asked about their least favorite televised awards show, one in five polled (20%) said that the Tonys should get the hook while The People's Choice Awards with 13% of the vote didn't win favor with the people themselves. The Golden Globes took third position, with one in ten (11%) saying they weren't fans of the show."

Three per cent of those polled also thought that the Golden Globes were voted on by the US House of Representatives, which might explain Pia Zadora!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 09:02:40 AM by JRand53 »

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2003, 09:06:23 AM »

Emily--as well up as I am on theatre and the arts, I often don' t know much about politics and policies.  I vaguely recall hearing that marijuana is legal in Canada for medical purposes....care to enlighten me?

Here's a question for some of the HHW youngun's, born in the seventies and eighties.  Who were your hearthrobs from those decades when you were growing up??

I will shamefully admit that I LOVED New Kids on the Block and wanted to marry Joey McIntyre.  Not knowing who Sinatra was then, I could not imagine a pair of bluer eyes.  I also loved guys like Jonathan Taylor Thomas, Brad Pitt (back in the Thelma and Louise days), and Ryder Strong (he was on Boy Meets World).  

I will say one thing about the teenyboppers these days...we just had better taste "back in the day."  What the hell do they see in Carson Daly???
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 09:07:49 AM by Maya »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2003, 09:11:05 AM »

In response to my telling him the topic of the day,

Der Brucer: Sal Mineo and James Dean.

Myself: Eeew!  Couldn't you pick a couple of guys who are a little less dead?

:P ::) :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2003, 09:13:25 AM »

I've been hearing an awful lot lately about one young woman named Paris Hilton.  Spoiled, nubile, rich and apparently terribly self-indulgent.

But I hadn't a clue what she looked like until I saw here last night on E.  And I have to tell you, I was totally amazed at how skanky she is.  That's a "now" word, yes?  Skanky?  She's skanky!  And her young nubile friends are skanky, too.  The girls look like hoes and the guys look gender-confused and bereft of fashion sensibiltities, all wearing their trousers halfway down their buttcheeks.

Now these are the people getting all the paparazzi attention.  These are the Barbara Huttons and Brenda Fraziers of today...the debs and their swains with a wild, rebellious edge to them.

And they are so dull, dull, dull.  

I suppose if one were in their company, things would be fun, fun, fun.

But reading about their exploits -- and seeing them captured on vido -- YAWN!

All this talk about heartthrobs of the 50s and 60s is what inspired this mini-tirade against today's callow/sallow youthlings.

In my day, there were heartthrobs aplenty, but there were "idols", too.  Don Schollander was an idol!  A big idol.  He won three Olympic gold medals in swimming in one Olympic games.  It was another decade before Mark Spitz won seven and pushed Schollander out of the record books.  There was James Dean, and  Elvis Presley.  THOSE were both idols and heartthrobs.

And no one has mentioned Ricky Nelson??  I may have missed it, so please don't be offended anyone if you named Ricky Nelson!!!

Hayley Mills!   Annette Funicello!  Ann-Margret!

Pat Boone!  Tommy Sands!

Tom Tryon!  Ty Hardin! Clint Walker!

Patty Duke!  Yes!  She was a Teen Idol and Heartthrob!

John Smith and Robert Horton in "Laramie"!

There was no short supply of these folks and I could add names galore.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 09:46:19 AM by Ron Pulliam »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2003, 09:16:03 AM »

On a less frivolous note, I went to see my new shrink today.  (A necessity, since he's the one writing the scrip for the meds.)  Nice fellow, I like him.  But it seems strange to have a shrink who is clearly younger than myself!

And I'm clearly going to have to get back to writing, since his reaction to my telling the general outline of my life story was "This would make a good book!"
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2003, 09:16:51 AM »

Allison Hayes appeared in a "Laramie" episode entitled The Fatal Step!

And for DRSWW as DR RON points out - some people are more fascinating dead than others are alive!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 09:18:21 AM by JRand53 »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2003, 09:21:10 AM »

Good morning... oops, it's the afternoon now here in Richmond.

Hearththrobs... Hmm... I may have to think about this one.  However, I do have to say I don't find any of today's "stars" truly handsome.  Good-looking and sexy, but rarely dashing and handsome.  But many of the stars from the 50s and 60s already mentioned on here, truly had "it".  I think a lot of it has to with the fact that a lot of the "hunkiness" and "babeness" of today's crop of stars has been created by some stylist/consultant/agent.  It gives them an artificial air.  Now I know the studio system did create a bunch of the "classic" celebrities, but at least most of them actually wanted to be in the business rather than just stumbling into it which seems to be the case today.

-I know, I know, I'm rambling... still clearing the cobwebs.  I may try to post a more coherent post tonight after the show, but I think all you DRs know what I mean.

And know that I've had some time to think about it, I always thought Gene Kelly was a heart-throb.
Make Your Own Luck.

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2003, 09:22:26 AM »

Ron--agreed about Paris.  An old movie star, I forget which, once said that glamour is "sex that got civilized."  The problem with media darlings/It Girls today is that they have no glamour.    A few of them do though I guess...I think Sharon Stone is peerless when it comes to mixing up good old-fashioned classy allure and raw sex appeal.

Off my soapbox now....and now for a moment of cheap nostalgic thrill....

« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 09:23:40 AM by Maya »

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2003, 09:23:00 AM »

I really hate my Computers class. That's all I have to say.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2003, 09:28:42 AM »

Speaking of Gene Kelly - has anyone read Betsy Blair's book - discussed in this article?  I didn't even know she had written an autobiography!

http://www.post-gazette.com/books/20030426kelly0426fnp3.asp

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2003, 09:34:32 AM »

I've been hearing an awful lot lately about one young woman named Paris Hilton.  Spoiled, nubile, rich and apparently terribly self-indulgent.

But I hadn't a clue what she looked like until I saw here last night on E.  And I have to tell you, I was totally amazed at how skanky she is.  That's a "now" word, yes?  Skanky?  She's skanky!  And her young nubile friends are skanky, too.  The girls look like hoes and the guys look gender-confused and bereft of fashion sensibiltities, all wearing their trousers halfway down their buttcheeks.

Well if you really want to see her, her reality show "The Simple Life" starts tonight at 8:30pm on Fox.  They showed a clip of it (it is her and Nicole Ritchie living on a farm).  I could not believe how dumb she came across.

Nicole Ritchie (Lionel Ritchie's daughter, and Paris' best friend) asked their home owners, "do you guys spend most of your time at Walmart" to which Paris replied, "what's Walmart, is that like a place where they sell walls".

I kid you not.

I don't care that she had never been to a Walmart. But come on, even if they don't have Walmarts in LA, wouldn't she at least have heard of it?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 09:37:44 AM by Jennifer »

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2003, 09:34:34 AM »

Did anyone notice the way I spelled "glamor?"  My God, I'm turning into a Canadian!

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2003, 09:39:39 AM »

Did anyone notice the way I spelled "glamor?"  My God, I'm turning into a Canadian!

I'm so self-conscious whenever I write, I almost always use the American spellings.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2003, 09:40:13 AM »

LOL....Ken Mandelbaum begins his review of the GYPSY soundtrack CD with the exact same quote I used to open my EPINION.COM review of it....LOL!

And what else is this at broadwayworld.com?  Why it's a journal of a cast member of a Broadway show!  DejaVu for HHW readers!

Andrea

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2003, 09:41:49 AM »

Dr. Maya: NKOTB: I loved them, adored them, had the dolls even ! Didn't like Jordon's rattail so I cut it off:)

But let me tell you, Barbie was much happier with them than with Ken!

60s and 70s? I was pretty much born mid 80s!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2003, 09:42:52 AM »

He did most of his work earlier than the specified period in today's topic of the day, and certainly before my days of youth, but once I saw him in a movie, my heart has not stopped throbbing for him:  Montgomery Clift.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2003, 09:44:14 AM »

And congratulations to Dear Reader Ann on her successful recital last night.  Next stop:  Carnegie Hall!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2003, 09:48:58 AM »

Something really weird just happened. I was trying to give someone karma.  I clicked on "applaud" (and forgot to check how much karma they had), but after I did it, the "boo" feature was highlighted.

I am so sorry, if I accidently booed someone. When I am allowed to give karma again, I will just in case.

Oh and btw, it is freaking freezing here.  It's currently
-8C.  ButI don't even want to guess what it is with the windchill.  Brrrrr.  Send warm vibes please!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up