Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MARCH OF TIME  (Read 59317 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE MARCH OF TIME
« Reply #150 on: March 10, 2006, 02:06:27 PM »

Stopped at Borders on my way home...picked up a dvd of THE SHAGGY DOG...wow, it has commentary by Kevin Corcoran, Roberta Shore, Tim Considine, and Tommy Kirk! That should be a lot of fun to listen to!

And at Ross' Dress for Less I bought some new shirts in case I happen to go on vacation this summer and I got season one of ELLEN for, get this...only $5.99!!! The whole season 1!

I hope I like that show as much as I remembered liking that show! LOL!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: March 10, 2006, 02:07:15 PM »

From what I've read here in the past, I believe it has been.

Larry could tell us definitively.

Nope, I couldn't.  DR Jason could since MTI represents the show.  The "Rape song" is still in the vocal score, but they may send with the rentals now a copy of "Abductions."  Beats me.  I think the whole nonsense over the word gets ridiculous.  Are we going to remove "The Rape of the Lock" from the poetry of Alexander Pope?  The song is clearly set up as a song about abduction.  Of course, I'm so un-PC, I like "When Does the Ravishing Begin?"
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 02:14:23 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: March 10, 2006, 02:09:59 PM »

Well yes, THE Fantasticks.  But I understood that for non-Sullivan-Steet-Theatre theatres they had written a replacement song that was not so shocking to virgin ears (!!).

And speaking of the movie of Lock Up Your Daughters, I recall that the script actually combined elements of LUYD and Virtue in Danger.  Or was that a different movie?  I seem to recall Christopher Plummer as a real über-fop.

And that said, I cannot help but run to the imdb:

Well, I recall seeing it in 1969 when it came out.  But I don't recall Bart's stage score being in it.  Am I confused?

Anyway, I must leave work, so your reply will fall on deaf ears to be archived and read at a later time.

No, the score was cut, and yes, they did use Vanbrugh's THE RELAPSE, which is what VIRTUE IN DANGER was based on.  I notice the gay character of Coupler was cut from the film.  I've always loved the name Hoyden Tunbelly.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #153 on: March 10, 2006, 02:14:14 PM »

What have I been doing, you might ask?  Well, I heard from my muse Margaret this morning.  She absolutely LOVED two of the three short stories, but had a few problems with the third.  It was fascinating listening to what was bothering her, and I made some notes while we spoke.  I never commit one way or the other without going back and reading what's being criticized - she really liked the story itself, but didn't think it should be written in the first person, and didn't love the leading character because of his profession.  

I went back and read the story for the first time in ages, and after two pages I knew her response was right on the money - saw it instantly.  So, for the last three hours I've been rewriting it.  I changed the character's occupation and it's much better now, and I'm putting it in the third person.  I had to readjust quite a few things in the first four pages of the story, but once past those, then everything basically stays the same save for some minor changes and just making it third person.  We'll see how she likes the revamp, but I suspect it will work for her now.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #154 on: March 10, 2006, 02:14:37 PM »

Hoyden Tunbelly and Lord Foppington!

We don't get character names like that anymore.

Although I bet we here at HHW could come up with some nice ones.

I will start with two characters from my play on New York City night life:

Bradley Adcock & Genevieve Goldfarb
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #155 on: March 10, 2006, 02:15:21 PM »

How's the PDF coming?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #156 on: March 10, 2006, 02:21:57 PM »

Tonight we are having an activity called "Pie and Games." So I am baking pies. Apple just came out of the oven, a graham cracker crust is baking, and a cherry is about to go in.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #157 on: March 10, 2006, 02:22:55 PM »

I didn't know that BK executive prodiuced  "Old Yellow Eyes Is Back"  what did you think of Brent Spiner  BK? I heard from my friend wot used to do the conventions that he could be difficult to work with

I have not heard that cd. I have seen him in a couple of telemovies since TNG.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #158 on: March 10, 2006, 02:24:00 PM »

I ordered THE SHAGGY DOG disc as well DRBARNUM.  It has the original theatrical version in b/w and correct aspect on one side and the shorter colorized TV version on the other side.

Released in 1959, it was the first movie for Annette Funicello, who played a character named Allison!  Not sure whether Walt got the name from our Miss Hayes or from Peyton Place....  But then Grace Metalious may have culled her name from our Allison first....

BTW Sandra Bullock has signed on the play Grace in a movie about her life.  Can a Broadway musical on the subject be far behind?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #159 on: March 10, 2006, 02:25:26 PM »

DR GINNY I am sending you the best JOB vibes  I have.  I understand your situation - state government is a labyrinth of rules and forms that cause problems for the people trying to do their best.

And it DOESN'T matter what happens as long as the PAPERWORK is correct.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #160 on: March 10, 2006, 02:25:58 PM »

Did it rain yet, DRLAURA?

Flood warnings are up for us, with more rain to follow Sat/Sun/Mon.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: March 10, 2006, 02:26:12 PM »

I ordered THE SHAGGY DOG disc as well DRBARNUM.  It has the original theatrical version in b/w and correct aspect on one side and the shorter colorized TV version on the other side.

Released in 1959, it was the first movie for Annette Funicello, who played a character named Allison!  Not sure whether Walt got the name from our Miss Hayes or from Peyton Place....  But then Grace Metalious may have culled her name from our Allison first....

BTW Sandra Bullock has signed on the play Grace in a movie about her life.  Can a Broadway musical on the subject be far behind?

I read a bio of Grace.  She was a mess.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #162 on: March 10, 2006, 02:26:33 PM »

I have not heard that cd. I have seen him in a couple of telemovies since TNG.

Just checked EBAY....that CD goes for around $30 and MORE!  :o

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #163 on: March 10, 2006, 02:26:51 PM »

Going to a Celtic Festival tomorrow... I am hoping there is NOT a repeat of last years incident for one poor piper....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #164 on: March 10, 2006, 02:27:57 PM »

Just checked EBAY....that CD goes for around $30 and MORE!  :o

That is more than what I paid for my Japanese Released cd of the Chieftains in China.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #165 on: March 10, 2006, 02:32:42 PM »

Brent Spiner was always very nice to me.  Don't know enough about him to know whether he was or is difficult.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #166 on: March 10, 2006, 02:46:07 PM »

That was going to be my next question, so thanks for answering it in advance. I might spring for this one myself. I've been so disappointed that so many of the Disney movies from the 60s have been full frame on DVD.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #167 on: March 10, 2006, 02:48:24 PM »

Poor DR Ron Pulliam will be weeping into his pillow tonight, but NBC has pulled JOEY from its Tuesday night slot for the foreseeable future and replaced it with TV's MOST OUTRAGEOUS MOMENTS.

Last week's JOEY drew only 4 million viewers, an all-time low for the show and for that timeslot on the network. We may have seen the last of the LA version of Joey Tibbiani.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #168 on: March 10, 2006, 02:50:47 PM »

Poor DR Ron Pulliam will be weeping into his pillow tonight, but NBC has pulled JOEY from its Tuesday night slot for the foreseeable future and replaced it with TV's MOST OUTRAGEOUS MOMENTS.

Last week's JOEY drew only 4 million viewers, an all-time low for the show and for that timeslot on the network. We may have seen the last of the LA version of Joey Tibbiani.

I dont watch tv much anymore at night for my schedule does not lend for watching eveing telly.

Sympathy vibes to DR Ron

Tomovoz

« Reply #169 on: March 10, 2006, 02:51:48 PM »

TOTD:
DVD:  Last night's viewing started off badly.

We tried "A Village Romeo & Juliet" Opera. Despite the glorious voice of Sir Thomas Hampson we could not cope!
We then went to "All Dogs Go To Heaven 2". Couldn't stay with that either.

We settled for watching Bryn and Renée.

Last movie watched was "Wallace & Gromit - The Curse Of the Were-Rabbit"
  - fun extras - "Cracking contraptions"

CD:  The Best OF Human Nature.

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #170 on: March 10, 2006, 02:53:04 PM »

Did it rain yet, DRLAURA?

Flood warnings are up for us, with more rain to follow Sat/Sun/Mon.

No rain yet. LOTS of wind. They say the rain will come tomorrow. Of course, we have outdoor plans tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #171 on: March 10, 2006, 02:56:32 PM »

Heading down now to do a few chores and wait for my company to arrive.

WBBL.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #172 on: March 10, 2006, 02:56:46 PM »

That was going to be my next question, so thanks for answering it in advance. I might spring for this one myself. I've been so disappointed that so many of the Disney movies from the 60s have been full frame on DVD.

Ain't it the truth....THIRD MAN ON THE MOUNTAIN is a disgraceful release!

As for JOEY - I thought I read it was a pay/play deal for LeBlanc so that it would cost MORE for the network to NOT produce the show another season.  But I may have dreamed that.  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #173 on: March 10, 2006, 02:57:07 PM »

No rain yet. LOTS of wind. They say the rain will come tomorrow. Of course, we have outdoor plans tomorrow.

It's a rule!!!   :D

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #174 on: March 10, 2006, 03:00:26 PM »

Last movie watched was "Wallace & Gromit - The Curse Of the Were-Rabbit"
  - fun extras - "Cracking contraptions"

I get a kick out of Wallace and Gromit also...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #175 on: March 10, 2006, 03:01:15 PM »

Oh dear, a 15 year old boy at a High School in my county died today.  As he was leaving the cafeteria with a cheeseburger, a teacher told him he couldn't take the food with him, so he put the whole thing in his mouth at once and suffocated....despite the efforts of teachers to dislodge food.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #176 on: March 10, 2006, 03:01:26 PM »

Murphys law: Make outdoor plans and the weather gets goofy!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #177 on: March 10, 2006, 03:26:24 PM »

Murphys law: Make outdoor plans and the weather gets goofy!

I know, but still -- 143 days without rain, and the ONE day......

François de Paris

« Reply #178 on: March 10, 2006, 03:30:16 PM »

I ordered THE SHAGGY DOG disc as well DRBARNUM.

You mean... DRBARNUM can be bought!!! :o

As I said yesterday; never knew this man was so venal! ;)

François de Paris

« Reply #179 on: March 10, 2006, 03:33:20 PM »

CD:  The Best OF Human Nature.

Does it sing about... me??!!   ;D 8)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up