Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LATE, LATE SHOW  (Read 55292 times)

TPunk

• Crapballs!
Re:THE LATE, LATE SHOW
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2006, 08:52:30 AM »

Danise, I'm so sorry for your loss.  It sounds like Brandi had the opportunity to experience a loving home with you and Bear.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2006, 08:52:39 AM »

Jose - thanks for the info! I'm gonna run out and try to find a copy. I NEED a big song for auditions, and Judy's voice is not terribly unlike mine...

Well, I hope that's considered the big number.  Almost all of Lily Garland's numbers could be considered BIG, so...

However, if it is "Never"... It's one of those songs that can throw an accompanist if he/she have never heard or played it before.  That 6/4 can be a little confusing at first sight, and it's actually a true "6".  It can be thought of in "3", but the way song pulses - at least to me - it's definitely in "6".  It's one of those songs where the best way to give the tempo is to go ahead and sing the first line or two - at least after the rubato, colla voce verse.  The song has a definite groove.

OH!  And best of all...  That series of ascending held notes at the end is a perfect place to let out your inner diva.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2006, 08:55:29 AM »

OH!  And the weather outside is glorious!  I guess the East and West Coasts traded seasonable weather conditions this weekend.

*And I hope DR Ron Pulliam and his friends out in San Francisco are safe and out of harm's way this morning.   I heard reports about a couple of major traffic accidents due to the snow and ice this morning.
Make Your Own Luck.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2006, 08:56:52 AM »

Here's a short excerpt from the article:

The ABC's of Grant Writing

More than Get The Money, the best reason to write grant applications is that it helps you to focus clearly on what you want to do, what your plan is for manifesting your vision, and how much it will cost.  Even if the grant committee or your Uncle Mortie turns down your request, you will have learned a great deal about your project through the application process.  And like everything else about your work, you get better at grant writing the more you do it.

Some applications are very detailed, and some are only three pages of simple “fill-in-the-blanks.” But they are all essentially the same. Grant applications bear a family resemblance to one another, so when you’ve gotten to know a few of them, you pretty much know all of them.

Start with “A-B-C”
   A is for Accuracy.  Don’t make up a budget – do the research and refine the Budget page. Don’t drop names on the Personnel page, unless said Names have agreed to work on this project with you. Don’t exaggerate.  Don’t inflate with a lot of nebulous hype and blather.  Stick to the facts.  If you have not done your homework, or if you attempt to mislead them, they will never forget you.

B is for Brevity:  Less is More. Don’t answer questions they haven’t asked. Don’t get all metaphorical and wordy.  These folks receive thousands of proposals, and they must read them all. Give ‘em a break. If you can distill your vision into a few precise paragraphs, the preliminary screeners will be more likely to read the whole thing and pass your proposal along to the actual committee.

C is for Clarity:  Be deliberate with vocabulary, punctuation, syntax.  Leave no sentence hanging there for “interpretation.”  Say what you mean, and make sure it is in language that delivers your vision precisely and coherently to the people for whom you intend it.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2006, 09:03:50 AM »

Jose - it sounds like NEVER would be a great audition piece for me!! Why had I NEVER thought of that before??? And thanks for your advice on the accompanist's problems... it's easy enough to sotto-voce a phrase, before launching into my "best 16 bars..."
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2006, 09:05:03 AM »

Okay - time to get on the stick here, and do at least a little work before i head out to meet Jane and give her all the HHW Hello's! thence to the music store to get some sheet music... can't WAIT!!
PennyO

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2006, 09:09:22 AM »

Good morning!

Overcast but warm day here. Pleasant with a little humidity. Somewhat odd for March.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2006, 09:10:22 AM »

Yes, the song was Never.

She of the Evil Eye is here, but I'm not leaving yet because I cannot even see straight on account of six hours is not enough sleep for me.

Ginny

« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2006, 09:12:06 AM »

DR PennyO - your two long posts were the best part of my workday, so far!  Watch for an email from Dayton Metro Library!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2006, 09:12:13 AM »

Spent most of the morning enterting tax return information into the program. Finished with federal but still have state to tackle. I will owe a little to the federal, but I suspect the state will be good news. I just had to stop for awhile. My eyes were crossing looking at all those figures.

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2006, 09:13:26 AM »

Six hours of sleep was all I got last night as well, bk.

Eating a big meal so late is what did me in, I'm sure.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2006, 09:13:51 AM »

Re Kritzerland - the splash page comes up just fine for me via AOL, Safari and IE.  Sometimes browsers (especially AOL) cache pages you visit as favorites, or take a while to get updated - pretty sure that's what's happened.  If you're going there via a favorites link and getting the old page, try typing kritzerland.com into your browser's address bar, or, clear your cache.  And order CDs while you're there :-)

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2006, 09:14:19 AM »

I am going to have to mow my front lawn today. It is getting really scruffy looking. Oh, how I hate to mow the grass, even if it does only take 15 minutes to do my small front yard with an electric mower.

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2006, 09:16:33 AM »

Favorite Comden & Green:

"Make Someone Happy"

"Lucky to Be Me"

"Long Before I Knew You"

"Neverland"

"The Usher from the Mezannine"

"My Own Morning"

"Our Private World"

"Willamania"

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2006, 09:17:22 AM »

Before I started on taxes this morning, I watched IN JUSTICE from last night. Another solid story and one that had me in tears at the end.

This is a wonderful show.

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2006, 09:17:48 AM »

Going to get some lunch and then tackle the front yard.

WBBL.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2006, 09:36:13 AM »

Woo hoo! My federal tax return was just deposited to my account!  I now have enough money in savings to cover my living expenses through the end of August- I can't imagine that I wouldn't have found a satisfactory job by then.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2006, 09:36:34 AM »

And on that note, I am going to mop the floor.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2006, 09:40:09 AM »

First post, and this is what I have to say:

It's RAINING!!!!!
Hooray!!!

We have thunder snow here today!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2006, 09:41:48 AM »

Woo hoo! My federal tax return was just deposited to my account!  I now have enough money in savings to cover my living expenses through the end of August- I can't imagine that I wouldn't have found a satisfactory job by then.

WOO-HOO!!!  So, I guess after we make a run to Target tomorrow, you'll be picking up the tab at Applebee's!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2006, 09:45:35 AM »

(((hugs)) Comfort vibes to DR Danise....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2006, 09:45:57 AM »

Well... I just looked at the boxes and boxes and boxes of stuff that are here in my parents' basement... :-\

So...  I'm gonna just head out for a while, and then once I'm back I'll just start putting some boxes in my car, and when the car is full, then I'll head up to NYC.  Alas, I do suspect a few more return trips down here to get all that stuff organized or thrown out.  *I found three big plastic bins of teddy bears (which I used to collect).  Hmm... E-bay, I guess.  And/or Children's Hospital - but, now that I think of it, they're really more like collector's items not children's toys (too many small pieces that could come off).  Ah, well... To be dealt with at a later date.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2006, 09:53:42 AM »

And, hey! I forgot to mention two days ago that I was asked to write the feature article for the next BMI Lehman Engel Music Theater Writers' Workshop newsletter!! The editor wanted something about grant writing, especially creating a budget, since the season of submissions is nigh. So I wrote about how to figure out how much a small Fringe-type production or workshop would cost, gave examples of actual budgets, and talked about the how-to of grant writing and basic fundraising - all in about 12,500 words. I sent it in within 2 days. (well, that was easy, since I just plagiarized my own workbook on making a living from your art...) Anyhow, that was an absorbing task, and very enjoyable to write!

Congrats Penny and good luck!

MBarnum

« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2006, 10:05:27 AM »

Poor Bear.  I thought it best to let him see her before I buried her so he would know she had passed and wasn't just "missing".  I don't know if dogs understand such things but that seemed the right thing to do.

Yes, Danise that is the correct thing to do with pets, from what I understand. They can see that the other pet has passed away and then they understand what has happened to their buddy, and they don't worry.

I am so sorry about Brandi  :'(

MBarnum

« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2006, 10:11:27 AM »

I slept in late today...despite Freddy's insistence that I get up at 5:45 am. Now I must rush Taylor's party dresses that I purchased for her (spring is a busy social season for a little girl!) up to Sherwood (an hours drive) and then return to clean this pig sty of a house, and then hopefully watch some motion picture entertainments on DVD.

Sayonara, for now!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2006, 10:14:32 AM »

It is still raining.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2006, 10:15:48 AM »

Vibes to DR Jose's cousin and to VixMom for her back!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
Speaking of backs--we're hanging on till Monday morning so I can get Mom to the doctor regarding her back.  She's been in such pain she can't get out of bed this past week.  Even sitting up hurts her.

I honestly think they may have to put her in the hospital this time.

I'm just full of good news, aren't I?   :-\

DR Danise, there's the proverbial Bluebird of Happiness.  And then there's you!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2006, 10:20:22 AM »

DR Danise, I'm sorry to hear about Brandi.  It sounds like her latter years were recoving then eventually happy all due to the love and care you gave her.

And as many others have already stated, Please do take care of yourself, now.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2006, 10:25:09 AM »

DR PennyO, there might be another career for you in those wonderful notes!   I just spent a wonderful 90 minutes with David Mayerovitch, good friend of our DR Panni, at Artie's! (they miss you, DRs!)  He's a wonderful gentleman and I got all this dish on City Opera's MOST HAPPY FELLA, whose director is clearly an idiot:  he's got Marie at the end of Act One seeing Rosabella and Joe in an amorous clinch, which totally screws up her motivations in Act Two.  Also, the word on Sorvino's performance is not good.

Back to Toyland.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2006, 10:54:03 AM »

I went to the door to call her for hers and she didn’t come.  I went to look for her and found that to my horror, she had died sometime in the night in her doghouse.

Danise, I am so sorry to learn about Brandi.

My deepest sympathies.

Ron
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up