Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A CONVENTIONAL DITHER  (Read 52155 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:A CONVENTIONAL DITHER
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2006, 08:40:47 AM »

~~~~Good Auditioon Vibes~~~~ for Jason

come back soon Jason you are missed!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2006, 08:42:49 AM »

Congratulations on your rain DearReaderLaura.  I hope it was sufficient to fill all your reserviors and keep you from drought this summer

vixmom

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2006, 08:43:52 AM »

Thank you Rodzinski for your kindness to the Vixter

vixmom

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2006, 08:45:11 AM »

The Bat Mitzvah party was amazing.  I don't know if this is the norm for this sort of event  but it was a huge extravaganza and it was a ton of fun!!!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2006, 09:08:39 AM »

I agree. I'd love to see DR Jason return to our midsts.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2006, 09:19:35 AM »

A dear friend who lives near Springfield, Illinois called me this morning to tell me about the devastating tornados they've had there over the last 12 hours or so. Went to the internet and saw that Missouri also had some terrible weather.

Hope all of our friends who live in this area of the country are OK.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2006, 09:21:47 AM »

THE NEW ADVENTURES OF OLD CHRISTINE premieres tonight with two episodes: at 8:30 and at 9:30 (which will be its regular timeslot). I haven't read a single negative review of the show, so I'm looking forward to seeing the 8:30 premiere episode. I'll be recording the 9:30 one because I'll be watching '24' by then.

I think the show's title is crappy, however.

I am going to tape this show just to see if I like it.  I'm not sure if i like the title.  But it refers to the fact that her ex has a new girlfriend named christine (her name is also christine).

The reviewer in the montreal paper did not like it. He didn't think it was particularly funny.

Jennifer

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2006, 09:24:10 AM »

Friday was my sister's birthday.  So all the family went out with her and megan (the most cutest baby in the land, as we call her).  She will be 6 months old on friday. IT's hard to believe that she is already 6 months old. But it also seems like she's always been around.  She is extremely delicious!

Jennifer

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2006, 09:25:40 AM »

There is also a hilarious full page ad in the montreal paper for tonight's APPRENTICE.  IT feautures a full page pic of the canadian (the funny big guy brent that everyone hated last week).  The caption says something funny about how everyone hates him and that he's canadian. pretty cute!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2006, 09:34:40 AM »

You're welcome, Vixmom!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2006, 09:38:43 AM »

TOD: the two henchmen in DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER. It was pointed out to me by one of my older sisters.

There was also this boy in our gradeschool talent show who did an acrobatic floor routine to "Three Times a Lady."

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2006, 09:42:36 AM »

Facts In Five, indeed was the game we played yesterday with Ben, Ant, and Jose. From the time when the 3M corp. had a games division. All their games came in these boxes designed for sideways bookshelf storage.

TPunk's 7-Layer Dip (or "walking taco" as Jose calls it) won the day once again. Many laffs were had and laughs too.

vixmom

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2006, 09:44:56 AM »

I heard of the Boys in The Band in 1970, but I was only 13 when it came out  and I never saw it, although I heard about it at school from kids who had older siblings who had seen it.  

The first gay character I was really familiar with was Jody (played by Bily Crystal) on Soap but that was already  1977 or so after I had been at college and  already had several gay friends.

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2006, 09:49:15 AM »

Monday greetings!  Sorry to have left so abruptly last night, but a thunder & lightening storm came up quickly and I disconnected my computer.

Wish I could have partipated in the To Kill a Mockingbird discussion.  We're in the midst of our community reading project, The Big Read.  It's going fine, but I would have liked to see a bigger splash - like in Sioux City where DR Cillaliz will get to meet the actress who played Scout in the movie.   Here are some other communities that are doing the same book:

Schenectady, NY
Lee County, FL
New Jersey
Omaha, NE
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2006, 09:57:27 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Got another decent night's sleep, so that's good, and now I must get crackin' on the writin'.

Ginny

« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2006, 09:59:03 AM »

TOD - Boys in the Band played a significant role in my life when I was in college.  My not-yet-out boyfriend took me to see it a few days after he took his other girlfriend.  Our reactions to the movie told him a lot about how we each might react when he revealed himself to us.  My reaction was such that we are still friends, more than 30 years later.  I suspect he and the other girl are not.  He also took me to see Sunday Bloody Sunday, after breaking the news, thinking that it would help me understand him.  I told him to watch the movie again and pay attention to what the Glenda Jackson character was going through, too.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 09:59:51 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2006, 10:01:42 AM »

~~~Job VIBES~~~ to Ginny

vixmom

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2006, 10:05:21 AM »

GK is "The Drowsy Chaperone"  appropriate for "just turned" 13 year old girls?

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2006, 10:07:21 AM »

~~~Job VIBES~~~ to Ginny

Thanks, DR Vixmom.  I have reason to suspect that the posting of mine and one colleague's on the website was a mistake.  It actually may make worse headaches for my manager than the one I had Friday.

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2006, 10:09:05 AM »

Facts in Five was a favorite game among the librarians-to-be with whom I went to graduate school, decades ago.

Ben

« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2006, 10:15:05 AM »

Facts in Five was great fun although it makes you search your brain for minutia. It's a cross between trivia and actual knowledge. Things like knowing flowers that begin with P and knowing enough of them that you can pick an obscure one because if someone else chooses the one you have, both of you must cross it off your list.

And yes, the walking taco was too good! And for dessert we had Toll House semi-sweet chocolate chips! Umm, umm good  ;D

FJL

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2006, 10:22:10 AM »

We just read that Maureen Stapleton has passed away at 80.

One of my early theatergoing memories was seeing her in the Circle in the square production of GLASS MENAGERIE, and she came out after the show to talk to our high school class about the play in her housecoat.  She gave the impression of being a wonderful down-to-earth lady despite, or perhaps because of her security in, her tremendous talent.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2006, 10:26:36 AM »

TOD:

I want to say that THAT CERTAIN SUMMER with Hal Holbrook and Martin Sheen was the first TV show/movie in which I encountered gay characters, but there's a nagging thought in the back of my mind that says there was something that predated that movie.  I'm not sure what it could have been, though...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2006, 10:28:16 AM »

Skip had the opportunity to meet Maureen Stapleton a couple of times at Colleen Dewhurst's house, at a time when Ms. Dewhiurst and Ken Marsolais were involved with producing one of Skip's shows.  Skip confimed the wonderful down-to-earth quality that Ms. Stapleton had:  As an example, Skip would be cooking a meal, and Ms. Dewhurst would be about to open up a bottle of really fine wine for the dinner, but Ms. Stapleton would essentially say with a smile to forget about that wine, let's just open up the bottle of Gallo that I brought, I can't taste the difference anyway.  

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2006, 10:33:22 AM »

We just read that Maureen Stapleton has passed away at 80.

One of my early theatergoing memories was seeing her in the Circle in the square production of GLASS MENAGERIE, and she came out after the show to talk to our high school class about the play in her housecoat.  She gave the impression of being a wonderful down-to-earth lady despite, or perhaps because of her security in, her tremendous talent.

Aw, what a shame.  Maureen Stapleton has always been among my favorite actresses.

About two years ago, I purchased a vinyl boxed set recording of her doing THE ROSE TATTOO.  I never played it because it is in such pristine condition.  I think it's time that I did.

Favorite Stapleton Movies:
REDS
PLAZA SUITE
QUEEN OF THE STARDUST BALLROOM
JUST TELL ME WHERE IT HURTS
THE GATHERING

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2006, 11:00:06 AM »

Jody on Soap.

Yes!  "Soap!"  I LOVED that show!  I've since bought the first two seasons on DVD!  And that was before "Love, Sidney."  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2006, 11:00:41 AM »

Here is the Playbill On-Line obit

Maureen Stapleton

Ben

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2006, 11:07:13 AM »

I think one of the first Gay characters I remember seeing was Michael in The Boys in the Band. I, too, had that two record, four sided album and knew much of it by heart. Even though it was a rather sad and unpleasant depection of Gay men, I still like the show. I almost played Donald in a production in 1981. The opening and closing scenes with Michael are great fun to do. After the opening and before the end Donald is practically mute in the rest of the show but those two scenes are worth playing the role.

I think two of the first positive Gay character portrayls I remember seeing were Jeff Daniels and Richard Thomas in Fifth of July. I loved that show!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 11:07:35 AM by Ben »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2006, 11:22:34 AM »

I think two of the first positive Gay character portrayls I remember seeing were Jeff Daniels and Richard Thomas in Fifth of July. I loved that show!

Originally, Jeff Daniels and William Hurt.  Helen Stenborg who played Aunt Sally is a dear friend.  

I had a lovely time at the recording office.  DRs Jason and Jose came down and divided all the Babes in Royland orchestra scores by copyist,  I'm quite grateful to them.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2006, 11:24:28 AM »

"Babes in Royland?" Just who is this "Roy" and what were you three babes doing???
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up