Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: FIT AS A FIDDLE  (Read 78910 times)

Ginny

Re:FIT AS A FIDDLE
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2006, 08:58:48 AM »

That's what the wonderful smell is!!!

have a wonderful, relaxing five day weekend Ginny!!

Relaxing?  Maybe a little...this evening and tomorrow morning I'm working at a fundraiser/used book sale at the mall (that's what the cookies are for), Saturday afternoon I have to move our DS home from college (he starts his first co-op in a week), and Sunday he and I will be throwing a taco party for my mom, my aunt, her 2 sons and grandson, and my niece who is delivering a golf cart to my mom.  Mom is giving her car to our son in exchange for a 4-passenger, loaded golf cart in which to toodle around her retirement community.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2006, 08:59:24 AM »

In my spare time, I'll do a Page 4 dance!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 09:18:15 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2006, 09:00:00 AM »

I could eat a cookie...!

Eating a Heathbar muffin!! Very tasty!!

I am out of town at my parents, washing clothes and tormenting the rellies....

And even being nice and working on my mothers genealogy line and taking a stab at the infamous letter from NYC....

It has left many mysteries....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2006, 09:01:29 AM »

TOD:

Gene Kelly: Everything!!

I totally agree.  He wasn't a great actor, but he was a BRILLIANT dancer. His work is amazing and powerful and timeless.  He and Astaire are the two best dancers ever captured on film.

"Slaughter on 10th Avenue" is mesmerizing.  Imagine what audiences must have experienced/felt seeing something that bold and inventive set to a wildly popular piece of music when they saw "Words and Music."

"The Pirate Ballet" is a masterpiece of dance, energy, color, pyrotechnics and sheer audacity.

"An American in Paris Ballet" -- a true artist at the peak of his craft creating something timeless and beautiful -- has never been equalled.

"The Broadway Ballet" -- fun. clever, brilliant with a capital "B"...totally joyous and perfectly integrated into the film.

"I Like Myself" -- incredibly inventive and fun.

Gene Kelly is one of the major lights of musical cinema.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2006, 09:04:27 AM »

I know it not question day but I am hoping a New York City Hainsie/Kimlet can answer my question...

First off a little back ground....

I know Canon street was historically near what was once known as Hell's Kitchen and near Five Points.

However I am looking to see where 122 West 20th is in contoxt to that area. The person who wrote what we call the Infamous letter lived at taht address in 1899 and her name was Mary C. McDevitt.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2006, 09:16:49 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
Happy Birthday JB!
[/size][/move]

TOPIC OF THE DAY: Here's a link to help all of us recall Fred Astaire's musical numbers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Astaire's_Solo_and_Partnered_Dances

FRED ASTAIRE - Where to begin? Let's see...I like the unadorned, non-prop, "hard tap" musical numbers like "Jukebox Dance" and the last part of "Begin the Beguine" with Eleanor Powell from Broadway Melody of 1940. Another is "Bouncin' the Blues" from The Barkley's of Broadway with Ginger Rogers. These numbers I can watch over and over and never tire of.

Solos
"I've Got My Eyes on You" from Broadway Melody of 1940 - I love to watch him play the piano and the creative ways he uses the little "powder puffball" in that number. I also think his acting is wonderful in this film (emotionally transparent).

"Drum Crazy" from Easter Parade just amazes me! Is there anything left you can do with drums? Everything is in it! And I love how he outsmarts the kid.

"Say it with Firecrackers" from Blue Skies - I love the combination of sounds from the taps and firecrackers.

The golf solo from Carefree - Much more interesting to watch than regular golf. Astaire at play!

"Sunday Jumps" from Royal Wedding - The dance with the clothes tree and gym props. Another Astaire at play. Such inventiveness!

Sublime Numbers that Make Me Swoon
"Dancing in the Dark" with Cyd Charisse - Beautifully choreographed.
"Cheek to Cheek" with a smoldering (and molting) Ginger Rogers from Top Hat - This is the famous dance where Ginger's costume began shedding its feathers. Someone once dubbed this number, "how to make love while dancing."
"Waltz in Swing Time" with Ginger from Swing Time - They literally dance on air! A classic.
"They Can't Take That Away From Me" with Ginger from The Barkley's of Broadway. - I love how this dance unfolds.

"Story" Numbers
"Lets Face the Music and Dance" with Ginger from Follow the Fleet.
"Never Gonna Dance" with Ginger from Swing Time.
"The Girl Hunt Ballet" with Cyd Charisse from The Band Wagon .
"This Heart of Mine" with Lucille Bremer from Ziegfeld Follies and
"Limehouse Blues" with Lucille Bremer from Ziegfeld Follies - Both of these numbers I can watch over and over. I respond to the acting within the dances.  

Favorites with Partners
Besides the aforementioned...
"Pick Yourself Up" with Ginger from Swing Time.
"Isn't This a Lovely Day" with Ginger from Top Hat.
"Fated to be Mated" with Cyd Charisse in Silk Stockings.
"The Babbitt and the Bromide" with Gene Kellly from Ziegfeld Follies.
"Please Don't Monkey With Broadway" with George Murphy from Broadway Melody of 1940.
"I Guess I'll Have to Change My Plans" with Jack Buchanan from The Band Wagon.

I still left a lot out!

Such joy and pleasure Fred and his collaborators gave us! Would that I could leave such a legacy.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 09:20:00 AM by Donna »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #96 on: March 16, 2006, 09:18:22 AM »

I never war with socks, special or otherwise

War is heel (with socks, that is.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #98 on: March 16, 2006, 09:39:44 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
Happy Birthday JB!
[/size][/move]

TOPIC OF THE DAY: Here's a link to help all of us recall Fred Astaire's musical numbers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Astaire's_Solo_and_Partnered_Dances

FRED ASTAIRE - Where to begin? Let's see...I like the unadorned, non-prop, "hard tap" musical numbers like "Jukebox Dance" and the last part of "Begin the Beguine" with Eleanor Powell from Broadway Melody of 1940. Another is "Bouncin' the Blues" from The Barkley's of Broadway with Ginger Rogers. These numbers I can watch over and over and never tire of.

Solos
"I've Got My Eyes on You" from Broadway Melody of 1940 - I love to watch him play the piano and the creative ways he uses the little "powder puffball" in that number. I also think his acting is wonderful in this film (emotionally transparent).

"Drum Crazy" from Easter Parade just amazes me! Is there anything left you can do with drums? Everything is in it! And I love how he outsmarts the kid.

"Say it with Firecrackers" from Blue Skies - I love the combination of sounds from the taps and firecrackers.

The golf solo from Carefree - Much more interesting to watch than regular golf. Astaire at play!

"Sunday Jumps" from Royal Wedding - The dance with the clothes tree and gym props. Another Astaire at play. Such inventiveness!

Sublime Numbers that Make Me Swoon
"Dancing in the Dark" with Cyd Charisse - Beautifully choreographed.
"Cheek to Cheek" with a smoldering (and molting) Ginger Rogers from Top Hat - This is the famous dance where Ginger's costume began shedding its feathers. Someone once dubbed this number, "how to make love while dancing."
"Waltz in Swing Time" with Ginger from Swing Time - They literally dance on air! A classic.
"They Can't Take That Away From Me" with Ginger from The Barkley's of Broadway. - I love how this dance unfolds.

"Story" Numbers
"Lets Face the Music and Dance" with Ginger from Follow the Fleet.
"Never Gonna Dance" with Ginger from Swing Time.
"The Girl Hunt Ballet" with Cyd Charisse from The Band Wagon .
"This Heart of Mine" with Lucille Bremer from Ziegfeld Follies and
"Limehouse Blues" with Lucille Bremer from Ziegfeld Follies - Both of these numbers I can watch over and over. I respond to the acting within the dances.  

Favorites with Partners
Besides the aforementioned...
"Pick Yourself Up" with Ginger from Swing Time.
"Isn't This a Lovely Day" with Ginger from Top Hat.
"Fated to be Mated" with Cyd Charisse in Silk Stockings.
"The Babbitt and the Bromide" with Gene Kellly from Ziegfeld Follies.
"Please Don't Monkey With Broadway" with George Murphy from Broadway Melody of 1940.
"I Guess I'll Have to Change My Plans" with Jack Buchanan from The Band Wagon.

I still left a lot out!

Such joy and pleasure Fred and his collaborators gave us! Would that I could leave such a legacy.

I love all Donna's choices, too....

...BUT

...my favorite Astaire numbers in ANY category are:

"Begin the Beguine" with Eleanor Powell from "The Broadway Melody of 1940."

And that amazing "Swing Trot" opening for "The Barkleys of Broadway" with Ginger Rogers!

« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 09:45:33 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2006, 09:41:09 AM »

I dont have any particular favorite and he si such a wonderful dancer to watch...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2006, 09:42:22 AM »

Still cloudy...

...still cold....

.....busy work...lulls....busy work....lulls....

....SIGH!

vixmom

« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2006, 09:43:03 AM »

The ladder is back outside my window but I do not see the men

vixmom

« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2006, 09:44:33 AM »

FJL thank you for the song in honor of my pitiful 5555 post last night!  If you ever end up "on the Island" let me know - maybe we can  "do lunch!"

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2006, 09:46:01 AM »

But do the men see you?

vixmom

« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2006, 09:46:49 AM »

It's lunchtime!

What I want a quiznos prime rib sandwich.....

what I have is a bowl of  Special K Red Berries cereal

*sigh*

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2006, 09:46:53 AM »

And what about the ladder?  How do you know it is not some video device meant to deceive???

vixmom

« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2006, 09:47:55 AM »

But do the men see you?

I dunno.... maybe they are wearing their invisibility cloak

vixmom

« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2006, 09:49:13 AM »

maybe they have cleverly diguised themselves as the ladder

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2006, 09:52:35 AM »

Maybe...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2006, 09:52:52 AM »

DR Vismom, thanks!!

I see it was nto far from Broadway but definitely north of the area once known as Hell's Ktichen.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2006, 09:54:54 AM »

I went out and got me a Spensa salad from SaladTrough SaladWorks.

Sundried tomatoes--yummmmm...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2006, 09:56:19 AM »

Off to a doctor's appointment - routine checkup, no biggie.

Bye for now.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2006, 10:05:18 AM »

Bye.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2006, 10:06:06 AM »

If anything, it has gotten colder.

Or, at least, I have gotten colder.

Yes...it's a cold, cold world today.

Brrrr.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2006, 10:07:58 AM »

We've had an outbreak of violence in both San Francisco and Oakland in recent weeks in which people have been shot to death in schools and on sidewalks, etc.

Thus far, there seems to be no inkling of who is doing this hateful business or what motives might be behind it all.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2006, 10:08:58 AM »

Soon it's gonna rain
I can feel it
Soon it's gonna rain
I can tell
Soon it's gonna rain
What are we gonna do?

MBarnum

« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2006, 10:10:04 AM »

Happy birthday to JB, daughter of BK!!

vixmom

« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2006, 10:10:15 AM »

We've had an outbreak of violence in both San Francisco and Oakland in recent weeks in which people have been shot to death in schools and on sidewalks, etc.

Thus far, there seems to be no inkling of who is doing this hateful business or what motives might be behind it all.

how awful!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2006, 10:13:20 AM »

Nah, DR RLP - I wasn't born in an ice house....it's just Kelly's terpsichory that leaves me cold.

If one might point out in the still that has now been posted Three Times today, from the "Gotta Dance" number from SINGIN' IN THE RAIN - choreographer Kelly has directed that ALL four other people including Miss Charisse be looking AT HIM and no where else....even the hat on Miss Charisse's well-appointed leg.  

And I don't remember Mr Astaire inserting self satisfied reaction shots of his mug into other people's dance solos in his films....

Oh Gene can dance...of course....different music - same god damned dance, as Judy said....  But yes he knows some steps.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

vixmom

« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2006, 10:58:38 AM »

Hmmm... it seems the men have been on the roof above my heads all this time and now they have just dragged the ladder up there with them.....

poor men.  Its about 30 degrees out and the wind is bloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowing[/b]

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Up