Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: FIT AS A FIDDLE  (Read 78881 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:FIT AS A FIDDLE
« Reply #210 on: March 16, 2006, 03:34:02 PM »

I'm absolutely embarrassed for you.

That's okay.  I'm embarassed at myself for letting someone I have so little regard for affect me so.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #211 on: March 16, 2006, 03:35:11 PM »

I will now wibble-wobble off and prep something.  Maybe a motivation.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #212 on: March 16, 2006, 03:47:51 PM »

Well, I have a foggy memory about it (George, you NEED to read that bio!) but it took place at some party (At Gene's home, I believe) and Gene got so upset at some remark and, out of frustration and anger (I believe it's even "gay" related) he hardly kicked some step and hurt himself in the process; Mr Kelly could have quite a temper!

Interesting...but what was the "certain musical" that Gene couldn't make?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

François de Paris

« Reply #213 on: March 16, 2006, 03:48:34 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
Happy Birthday JB!
[/size][/move]

TOPIC OF THE DAY: Here's a link to help all of us recall Fred Astaire's musical numbers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Astaire's_Solo_and_Partnered_Dances

FRED ASTAIRE - Where to begin? Let's see...I like the unadorned, non-prop, "hard tap" musical numbers like "Jukebox Dance" and the last part of "Begin the Beguine" with Eleanor Powell from Broadway Melody of 1940. Another is "Bouncin' the Blues" from The Barkley's of Broadway with Ginger Rogers. These numbers I can watch over and over and never tire of.

Solos
"I've Got My Eyes on You" from Broadway Melody of 1940 - I love to watch him play the piano and the creative ways he uses the little "powder puffball" in that number. I also think his acting is wonderful in this film (emotionally transparent).

"Drum Crazy" from Easter Parade just amazes me! Is there anything left you can do with drums? Everything is in it! And I love how he outsmarts the kid.

"Say it with Firecrackers" from Blue Skies - I love the combination of sounds from the taps and firecrackers.

The golf solo from Carefree - Much more interesting to watch than regular golf. Astaire at play!

"Sunday Jumps" from Royal Wedding - The dance with the clothes tree and gym props. Another Astaire at play. Such inventiveness!

Sublime Numbers that Make Me Swoon
"Dancing in the Dark" with Cyd Charisse - Beautifully choreographed.
"Cheek to Cheek" with a smoldering (and molting) Ginger Rogers from Top Hat - This is the famous dance where Ginger's costume began shedding its feathers. Someone once dubbed this number, "how to make love while dancing."
"Waltz in Swing Time" with Ginger from Swing Time - They literally dance on air! A classic.
"They Can't Take That Away From Me" with Ginger from The Barkley's of Broadway. - I love how this dance unfolds.

"Story" Numbers
"Lets Face the Music and Dance" with Ginger from Follow the Fleet.
"Never Gonna Dance" with Ginger from Swing Time.
"The Girl Hunt Ballet" with Cyd Charisse from The Band Wagon .
"This Heart of Mine" with Lucille Bremer from Ziegfeld Follies and
"Limehouse Blues" with Lucille Bremer from Ziegfeld Follies - Both of these numbers I can watch over and over. I respond to the acting within the dances.  

Favorites with Partners
Besides the aforementioned...
"Pick Yourself Up" with Ginger from Swing Time.
"Isn't This a Lovely Day" with Ginger from Top Hat.
"Fated to be Mated" with Cyd Charisse in Silk Stockings.
"The Babbitt and the Bromide" with Gene Kellly from Ziegfeld Follies.
"Please Don't Monkey With Broadway" with George Murphy from Broadway Melody of 1940.
"I Guess I'll Have to Change My Plans" with Jack Buchanan from The Band Wagon.

I still left a lot out!

Such joy and pleasure Fred and his collaborators gave us! Would that I could leave such a legacy.

So nice to see you back, Donna! Long time no see!

Oh, I do love that Drum Crazy number too!
The genius of Fred is that he made one believe that his dancing was so easy!

François de Paris

« Reply #214 on: March 16, 2006, 03:51:11 PM »

I love all Donna's choices, too....

...BUT

...my favorite Astaire numbers in ANY category are:

"Begin the Beguine" with Eleanor Powell from "The Broadway Melody of 1940."

And that amazing "Swing Trot" opening for "The Barkleys of Broadway" with Ginger Rogers!

YES! Terrific number that Begin The Beguine, practically filmed in one continuous shot!

François de Paris

« Reply #215 on: March 16, 2006, 03:52:42 PM »

Interesting...but what was the "certain musical" that Gene couldn't make?

Sorry, I can't remember!
Will look for the answer; promised!

Certainly one that Fred ended doing!

François de Paris

« Reply #216 on: March 16, 2006, 03:56:31 PM »

George... I've found this at http://www.tcstyle.com/relax_nowshowing.shtml

Interestingly, the only co-starring movie vehicle for Fred Astaire and Judy Garland happened by accident -- literally.

"Easter Parade" was originally set to be directed by Garland's husband at the time, Vincente Minnelli. It was intended as a follow-up vehicle to "The Pirate," the Cole Porter musical Minnelli had directed earlier in the year.

A la "The Pirate," Garland's leading man was again to be Gene Kelly, who had made his movie debut opposite Judy six years earlier in "For Me and My Gal."

Before filming began, however, Kelly broke his ankle, telling the studio he did the deed during a dance rehearsal. The reality: He broke it during a weekend game of (stories vary) football, baseball or tennis. The latest spin, published in a recent autobiography by playwright Arthur Laurents: Kelly was playing tennis, got mad at his fellow players, slammed his foot down -- and broke the bone that helped make his name.

Because it would take Kelly six months to recuperate, Minnelli gave up and moved on to another project. Also moving on were the assigned co-stars, Frank Sinatra, Red Skelton and Kathryn Grayson

« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 03:59:26 PM by François »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #217 on: March 16, 2006, 03:58:18 PM »

I will now wibble-wobble off and prep something.  Maybe a motivation.

Maybe something a little less bilious and hateful.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #218 on: March 16, 2006, 04:11:47 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HB[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]BK'S[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]DD[/move]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #219 on: March 16, 2006, 04:17:35 PM »

We had a fun relaxing meal at Du-Pars's.

Bruce next time we will go to Casa Vega. :)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #220 on: March 16, 2006, 04:19:28 PM »

Thanks for the info, François!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #221 on: March 16, 2006, 04:21:42 PM »

We are looking foward to returning home-LA is too exhausting.  So many people to see in such a short time.

The mornings we walk along the beach are very nice.

Jane

« Reply #222 on: March 16, 2006, 04:23:05 PM »

My brother in-law wants his computer back.

Bye.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #223 on: March 16, 2006, 04:26:46 PM »

Garland:  THE MAN THAT GOT AWAY
               HAVE YOURSELF A MERRY LITTLE CHRISTMAS

Astaire:  NEVERTHELESS
             THREE LITTLE WORDS

Kelly:     Not much (I would rather watch him dance)
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #224 on: March 16, 2006, 04:27:39 PM »

Because it would take Kelly six months to recuperate, Minnelli gave up and moved on to another project. Also moving on were the assigned co-stars, Frank Sinatra, Red Skelton and Kathryn Grayson

And we got Peter Lawford and Ann Miller instead!  I think we lucked out!

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

François de Paris

« Reply #225 on: March 16, 2006, 04:28:00 PM »

George, also found this at

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2005/06/06/DI2005060601458_pf.html

Los Angeles, Calif.: Arthur Laurents' memoir "Original Story By" offers a far from flattering portrait of Kelly who off-screen could be quite testy and rude. In my work as a journalist covering the film industry this view has been confirmed to me by many different parties. Does your film touch on Kelly's dark side?

Robert Trachtenberg: Absolutely, we interview Arthur Laurents. If you had watched the film carefully, you would have noticed that he was interviewed and confirmed exactly the question you are asking. He realized, and his first wife Betsy Blair has confirmed, they were very aware that at the time that the work that they were doing was better than any of the work they were doing at any of the other studios in terms of musicals. It was like high school -- our high school is better than your high school. He could be a snob, no question about it!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #226 on: March 16, 2006, 04:31:18 PM »

Well, 12 more hours of orchestra-only rehearsal - before we move into the theatre and join the cast on Monday.  However, I believe the "10 out of 12s" start tomorrow for the cast and technical crew.  As for first run-thru... Well... The last run-thru in the rehearsal hall came in at just over 2:30 - shorter than the San Fran time.  We'll see what happens once all the tech elements are added.  I'm suspecting we probably won't get to a "no stopping run-thru" until late next week.

Shorter by 30-plus minutes, IIRC.

Can you share anything about which songs from the SF run were cut and how many new songs have been integrated into the score?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 04:32:21 PM by Ron Pulliam »

François de Paris

« Reply #227 on: March 16, 2006, 04:34:54 PM »

I believe the musical number with Gene Kelly and Jerry the Mouse is called

The Worry Song!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #228 on: March 16, 2006, 04:38:23 PM »

George, also found this at

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2005/06/06/DI2005060601458_pf.html

Los Angeles, Calif.: Arthur Laurents' memoir "Original Story By" offers a far from flattering portrait of Kelly who off-screen could be quite testy and rude. In my work as a journalist covering the film industry this view has been confirmed to me by many different parties. Does your film touch on Kelly's dark side?

Robert Trachtenberg: Absolutely, we interview Arthur Laurents. If you had watched the film carefully, you would have noticed that he was interviewed and confirmed exactly the question you are asking. He realized, and his first wife Betsy Blair has confirmed, they were very aware that at the time that the work that they were doing was better than any of the work they were doing at any of the other studios in terms of musicals. It was like high school -- our high school is better than your high school. He could be a snob, no question about it!

This is interesting.  As to what is being said, I just want to point out that it is not something out of the ordinary for people working in the arts.  Heck, it's not even out of the ordinary for folks who "discuss" the arts with passion.

I believe Debbie Reynolds has revealed some stuff about him, too.  One was that during their screen kiss, he stuck his tongue in her mouth...she being a kid of 18 or 19...and him married and more mature.  Of course, stories of such things in Hollywood at that time and earlier are legion.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #229 on: March 16, 2006, 04:39:41 PM »

Hmmm...now that you have pointed him out...I want to find out who that guy is! LOL!

...and you know me better then I thought DR WFO! Ha!

You shouldn't have any problem finding him now, M Barnum.  I believe the encyclopedia lists him as the oldest living veteran of the Civil War.
“One thing’s universal,

François de Paris

« Reply #230 on: March 16, 2006, 04:46:29 PM »

This is interesting.  As to what is being said, I just want to point out that it is not something out of the ordinary for people working in the arts.  Heck, it's not even out of the ordinary for folks who "discuss" the arts with passion.

I believe Debbie Reynolds has revealed some stuff about him, too.  One was that during their screen kiss, he stuck his tongue in her mouth...she being a kid of 18 or 19...and him married and more mature.  Of course, stories of such things in Hollywood at that time and earlier are legion.

Quite right! And I'm sure there are other artisits who could say "things" about Debbie too! False or true!
That should not make us forget their talents!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #231 on: March 16, 2006, 04:49:04 PM »

We've had an outbreak of violence in both San Francisco and Oakland in recent weeks in which people have been shot to death in schools and on sidewalks, etc.

Thus far, there seems to be no inkling of who is doing this hateful business or what motives might be behind it all.

Well, if the victims turn to have not been Gene Kelly fans, we will have a good idea where to start!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #232 on: March 16, 2006, 04:54:47 PM »

Well what's your damage, Heather?  Are we crowding you or something?

:-*

Has our rainbow of pissiness over Gene Kelly reached critical mass?

:D

Who's Heather?
“One thing’s universal,

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #233 on: March 16, 2006, 05:00:46 PM »

I thought I saw Allison Hayes!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #234 on: March 16, 2006, 05:05:17 PM »

Who's Heather?

Heather "Brooke" Mann...my partner in crime!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #235 on: March 16, 2006, 05:06:25 PM »

I thought I saw Allison Hayes!

How did she look?

:o

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #236 on: March 16, 2006, 05:08:07 PM »

Quite right! And I'm sure there are other artisits who could say "things" about Debbie too! False or true!
That should not make us forget their talents!

Agreed!  Everything is anecdotal.

What's up there on the screen is all that truly matters!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #237 on: March 16, 2006, 05:11:39 PM »

In checking with the Laurents bio - it seems there were two teams to play volleyball at Mr Kelly's house....the A team with Gene as captain, and the B Team who played afterwards...these were the duffers.

Gene's team won its first game but the B team having quite the fun time was laughing and not hurrying so that the now rested Kelly could take the court.  When Laurents offered to vacate the net, Kelly was upset that he could take the competition so lightly and stormed into the house turning to throw one last epithet at the non-athletes (Laurents claims it was a gay slur), stomping his foot, breaking his ankle and losing out on EASTER PARADE.

Or so says Arthur Laurents.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 05:13:33 PM by JRand55 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #238 on: March 16, 2006, 05:13:02 PM »

How did she look?

:o

Lovely as usual. Thanks.  8)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #239 on: March 16, 2006, 05:13:51 PM »

Well, it is 2:21 pm pacific time and I am still in the office...but will leave at 2:50 pm so that the heater man can come and see why it is that my new gas heater smells so bad all the time.

Try Beano.
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Up