Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: BUT, I DIGRESS  (Read 64553 times)

Danise

Re:BUT, I DIGRESS
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2006, 06:41:52 PM »

I see VixMom.  How is the Vixter and how did the con go?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #121 on: March 26, 2006, 06:42:27 PM »

Yes indeed, unheralded George Mason University has made the hallowed ground of the NCAA Final Four. Pretty nice when a school nobody even thought should be in the tournament makes it that far.

I always like it when the underdogs win!!

So far the UND Sioux are in the frozen final four along with Maine adn Boston College. The fourth slot is still being battled between Cornell and Wisconsin  and that game is in its third overtime....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2006, 06:42:44 PM »

We had a one hour rehearsal at 6:30 just to go over a few spots, and it went very well.

I had originally planned to do a quick play-through of my book before the show, but once I got to the theatre, I didn't feel the need to do so.  I wasn't feeling cocky, I was actually feeling comfortable and at ease.

Aaaahhh... :)

All the "Don't Freak Out!" calls and e-mails really did their trick, their magic.  They helped me to relax.  To realize that all of us in the pit are still learning and discovering the music.  Heck, even the conductor and the two keyboard players from San Francisco are dealing with new material.  Basically, it helped me not to be so hard, so critical about myself and my playing at this stage in the process.

Most of all, hearing Brad, my conductor, saying "Don't freak out, Jose," in the message he left me the night before helped me to laugh at myself.  I saw just how "silly" it was to put so much pressure on myself.  -I found myself giggling at myself throughout the day yesterday.

Again, just what I needed.
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #123 on: March 26, 2006, 06:43:15 PM »

Good Evening!

Hello.  My name is Jose.  And I am a Broadway Pit Musician.

:)

Hello Jose, how did it go?
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #124 on: March 26, 2006, 06:44:20 PM »

Not sure if this translates!!

LOL!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #125 on: March 26, 2006, 06:44:51 PM »

I actually tried to snag some Playbills for ya in advance last week, but none made it upstairs from the press!

Awww.... Truly the thought that counts.

*And just in case you and TPunk saw that I had called you guys late last night... I hope you guys weren't worried... I was just trying to remember which cross street Rufus was on 10th Ave. -Details to follow...
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2006, 06:45:23 PM »

No. Didn't know about Mr Owens.
My only Buck Owens recording is his duet with Ringo Starr. (1988)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2006, 06:45:40 PM »

Feel free to send Magnus & Fosca copy of the Playbill DR Jose.  They are so proud.
But then again so are we.

Will do.

Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2006, 06:45:55 PM »

I also remember a Blake 7 question from the other day.  

I've heard of it--I know it's a British sci fi show--but I can't remember ever watching it.  

Some British shows I remember watching (and enjoying) are Chief !, The Goodies, Some Mother Do Have'em and Red Dwarf .

I do not recall Some Mother Do Have 'em but the others I have seen. Have you heard of Allo, allo?

Loved Are you being Served?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #129 on: March 26, 2006, 06:48:37 PM »

*I asked for five Playbills - three for me, and one for each of my "roommates" on the seventh floor.

**And I did pick up a few more on the way out after the show too.

Congrats Jose... You have worked hard!

Danise

« Reply #130 on: March 26, 2006, 06:48:41 PM »

I've never heard of any of those shows, DR DakotaCelt.

Gee, it's hard to realize this is the last Sunday I can stay up late but not to much later because I have to take my Mom to the doctor in the morning.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #131 on: March 26, 2006, 06:49:45 PM »

No. Didn't know about Mr Owens.
My only Buck Owens recording is his duet with Ringo Starr. (1988)

I do remember him on a show called Hee Haw

Danise

« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2006, 06:49:55 PM »

Jose, we're all very proud of you and if your ears were ringing, it wasn't anything around you, I'm sure it was of us sending our best vibes your way!

And how about our Dear PennyO?  Has anyone heard how her show went?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #133 on: March 26, 2006, 06:50:54 PM »

I've never heard of any of those shows, DR DakotaCelt.

Gee, it's hard to realize this is the last Sunday I can stay up late but not to much later because I have to take my Mom to the doctor in the morning.

I hope everything goes well for your mum tomorrow...

I have that show on tape...

Tomovoz

« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2006, 06:51:01 PM »

Or we can pick it up in September Jose.  Won't be long now.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2006, 06:52:35 PM »

We got a little scared, Jose, when TPunk first noticed your message an hour ago at the same time I noticed you hadn't posted yet today! Of course, we started thinking, "Oh no, he was in trouble somewhere last night, and he called for help!" Happily, nothing so sinister was afoot! :)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2006, 06:53:17 PM »

Hello! Not caught up from all my E & T this week.

Last night we printed out thepicture the Vixter took with George Takei and Cassandra  Peterson  and we took it to the ICON today.  

George Takei was holding an autograph session  so he signed it for the Vixter.   Later she found the table where Cassandra Peterson was selling her autographs (some of the guests charge for their autographs,  most of them don't)   The Vixter went up to her with ehr picture and showed it to Cassandra and said I thought you might like to see this.  Well cassandra did want to see it, she autographed it for free and gave the Vixter her business card and requested a copy for herself.  LOL!

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Danise

« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2006, 06:54:20 PM »

Thanks for the wishes for my Mom.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2006, 06:58:50 PM »

HEE HAW was how I was introduced to Buck Owens as a youngster. Little did I know then, Buck Owens was one of the true giants of country music, not just a guy telling jokes in the cornfield with Roy Clark. Great guitar player, writer, 11 consecutive number-one country singles, creator of the Bakersfield sound, leader of the Buckaroos. One of the few non-r&b artists to be covered by the Beatles...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2006, 06:59:25 PM »

As for the show itself...

-Again, we had a packed house.  Seeing the crowd assemble via the conductor's cam was pretty exciting...

-However, what was truly thrilling and exciting was the rush of sound from the audience that started when the house lights went down.  It gave me goosebumps...  -OH!  But now I have to play!

;)

-Act One went very well.

-I spent intermission going through my Act Two parts.  *Since we're up on the seventh floor, it's not really worth the time to head up and down to the basement - either with the elevator or the stairs.  Thankfully, we have our own bathroom up there.

-Act Two went very well too.

After the Bows and Exit Music had finished, I was able to spy some of the audience via the conductor's cam.  Alice Cooper was in the audience, and had come down to the podium to shake Brad's hand.  And I saw one man presenting a poster to Brad for him to sign.

Again, all in all, I had a wonderful evening.  I had FUN!  Yes, I still had a few "moments", but I felt comfortable and, most of all, confident.

When I got back down to the basement, I gave Brad a big hug and a Thank You.  He was the one who got me on board for this show - and I'm the only one in the pit who has never played a Broadway show (on Broadway at least).

People were asking if anyone was going out afterwards...
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2006, 06:59:50 PM »

Oh and George Takei told the Vixter he was very pleased he had the opportunity to meet HER!

I was very suprised by him actually.  I guess I was expecting a very one dimensional guy with a bunch of back in the day stories.  He was very engaging, and interesting.  We went to a small panel discussion where the topic was sterotyping in the entertainment industry and  we ended up having a lengthy discussion about the three years during WWII that he and his family spent in a Japanese Internment camp in Arkansas.  

I was very pleased I went to hear him speak, he gave me a lot to think about.

Danise

« Reply #141 on: March 26, 2006, 07:00:24 PM »

Well, it is ten o'clock and I will have one of those days tomorow so I think I shall wish everyone a wonderful evening.

Goodnight all.  Have very wonderful and peace fill dreams.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: March 26, 2006, 07:01:53 PM »

Glad to hear the show went well, Jose.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: March 26, 2006, 07:04:09 PM »

I've had a peculiar day.  I didn't want to do anything, but I ended up at the laptop rewriting for most of the day.  Then I learned that someone recently had told me a stupid little lie - I don't know why, really - unimportant, meaningless, and silly, and I wouldn't have cared one whit had the lie not been told.  I really hate that, and I'm probably going to have to get it out in the open because I will stew about it otherwise, and that's not good.

vixmom

« Reply #144 on: March 26, 2006, 07:04:13 PM »

and now I'm online witha real live Broadway pit musician!!!!  Hurrah for DR JOSE!!!!!

Ginny

« Reply #145 on: March 26, 2006, 07:04:44 PM »

It's quite weird in our house tonight, what with DH Richard's preparations and DS Rob eagerly anticipating the first day of his first co-op job.  His college program is a 5-year deal that has 3 6-month paid work components built in - they call it the "ultimate scholarship."  He starts tomorrow at Seapine Software.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

« Reply #146 on: March 26, 2006, 07:06:04 PM »

Rodzinski... I never saw Debbie Rochan, every time we passed her table (she was selling autographs too) she wasn't there, so I didn't get a chance to drop your name, proabably just as well, the floor was dirty and I wouldn't have liked to see it get mussed

Ginny

« Reply #147 on: March 26, 2006, 07:06:12 PM »

DR Jose - thanks for the update on last night's preview!  I'm pleased for you.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

« Reply #148 on: March 26, 2006, 07:08:00 PM »

Today the Vixter met Kevin Sorbo and had her picture taken with him and he autographed her program.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: March 26, 2006, 07:09:13 PM »

When I walked out the Stage Door...

-Again, it was just another part of my dream...  There was a great crowd at the stage door, and there was lots of buzz in the air.  The whole moment reminded me of that line from A Chorus Line where Morales talks about walking out of stage door someday...  People holding posters and Playbills to be signed...  People looking at me with that "who were you in the show?" look...  Hearing people ask if Hugh had come out already...  -Was Elton John here tonight?... etc., etc., etc...

I soon spotted my friend, James, in the crowd.  He was not able to see the show last night, but he waited for me afterwards.  With a box of Belgian chocolates and a bottle of champagne.

Then he asked if I was hungry because he had a surprise for me.  He had made reservations somewhere...

So, we walked through Time Square - which was mobbed with teenager and college kids on Spring Break - and headed over the Eighth Avenue...  Then across to 46th...  We passed Orso...  We passed Joe Allen... Hmm...

We then walked to Becco.  My favorite restaurant in New York City.

Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up