Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: BUT, I DIGRESS  (Read 64561 times)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
Re:BUT, I DIGRESS
« Reply #150 on: March 26, 2006, 07:11:54 PM »

Rodzinski... I never saw Debbie Rochan, every time we passed her table (she was selling autographs too) she wasn't there, so I didn't get a chance to drop your name, proabably just as well, the floor was dirty and I wouldn't have liked to see it get mussed

That saved me the embarrassment of her having no memory of me whatsoever!  :)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #151 on: March 26, 2006, 07:15:32 PM »

Yesterday she met Conrad Brooks.  He was selling what appeared to be bootleg copies of a documentary about Plan Nine from Outer Space and Ed Wood. (I didn't buy one and afterwards thought I should have bought a copy and sent it to MBarnum) I was trying to explain to the Vixter about hoim when she a caught sight of a picture he had on display of himself with Johnny Depp.

"You KNOW Johnny Depp?!" she asked with awe in her voice, "Will you please sign my program?!"  Instead of signing by his name  and picture he signed the  cover and told her he didn;t want to block out any of the information  with his signature and that she should read upon him and come back to see him when she knew what else he had done besides "hang out with Johnny Depp."

I was afraid he was insulted, so I thanked him and said she's just 12,  and just then she interupted to say  "But what could be cooler than  knowing Johnny Depp?!" with such fervor that he just laughed  and told her to come back in a couple of years

I should have bought his DVD......
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #152 on: March 26, 2006, 07:16:00 PM »

That saved me the embarrassment of her having no memory of me whatsoever!  :)

Who could forget you?!

vixmom

« Reply #153 on: March 26, 2006, 07:17:57 PM »

It sounds like  you had a magical night Jose!  I wish you years more of them!

vixmom

« Reply #154 on: March 26, 2006, 07:21:58 PM »

I'm gonna try this again

Vixter and friends

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #155 on: March 26, 2006, 07:22:23 PM »

We had a wonderful late dinner at Becco.  The signature Ossubucco for me, and the Hangar Steak for James.  *And what really stole the show was the side dish for my veal shank - it was a combination of butternut squash and faratto - an Italian grain, almost like barley.  It was incredibly delicious.  And after a few spoonfuls, we realized the reason it was so delicious was that it was also loaded with parmesan cheese and at least a stick of butter in each bite!  ;D  We were very tempted to ask for more, but we also knew there was a dessert course to look forward to...

Again, the panna cotta stole the show among the offerings on the dessert sampler.  Cream, vanilla and sugar - so simple, so fresh tasting, so good.  And since we were celebrating my Broadway Opening night, we ordered the grappa sampler - apricot, plum, pineapple and coconut.  All very yummy, and all very "warming".

By the time were finishing out desserts and aperitifs, the maitre d', Ryan, had come over to our table to chat with us since he was basically done for the evening, and we were only one of two tables left.  And since he was looking to head out for a post-work drink, and since James and I were still in celebration mode, we all headed out together.

Originally, we had planned to get a table at Don't Tell Mama, but they were packed - they were making people wait for tables outside, so...  I suggested either the 10th Avenue Lounge or Rufus - two places I had been to with DRs Rodzinski and TPunk - which is why I called them.

And since James' cat is named Rufus, we headed to Rufus...

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #156 on: March 26, 2006, 07:22:29 PM »

Vixter and Mr. Sorbo

Ginny

« Reply #157 on: March 26, 2006, 07:25:09 PM »

DR Vixmom - I love the photos of the Vixter and her friends!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #158 on: March 26, 2006, 07:25:27 PM »

DR vixmom - Wonderful pics of the vixter and her new friends!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #159 on: March 26, 2006, 07:26:32 PM »

*Now did you at least get a picture of Mr. Sorbo with yourself?  -And with Mr. Sorbo in his Hercules loincloth?

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #160 on: March 26, 2006, 07:26:35 PM »

DR vixmom - Wonderful pics of the vixter and her new friends!

DR Jose - any photos of you and your entourage?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

« Reply #161 on: March 26, 2006, 07:27:11 PM »

While we're spreading coongratualtions, Maria I beleive conratulations are due to you for your well earned  award!!! As the Vixter would say  You go Girl!!!!

I'm sorry I will be unable to congratulate you in person , but I must be at Palm Sunday services that morning.

vixmom

« Reply #162 on: March 26, 2006, 07:34:16 PM »

*Now did you at least get a picture of Mr. Sorbo with yourself?  -And with Mr. Sorbo in his Hercules loincloth?

;D

No, no pictures of me with anybody.    I didn't realize  Mr. Sorbo was so tall!!!   A lot of times  we end up with pictures when the stars aren't actually in picture mode as they are willing to accomodate a little girl who says "Mr. Sorbo could my mom take my picture with you ?"  There are not a lot of little girls at this con, mostly college age to moldy oldies and most of the kids who are there are only interested int he animae tracks, which we don't go near, so if they agree (and actually no one has  ever turned her down) we do one quick shot and we're away so as not to start a riot.

That's how she got a picture with Billy Boyd two or three years back when we ran across him checking out the tables on the dealer floor

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: March 26, 2006, 07:35:02 PM »

Thank you, Vixmom and Vixter! (The award was probably more for the great work done by the horses. But I thank you in their name.)

Congrats, DR Jose! I can just feel your excitement as you write. Very cool. I wish I had time to spend another day in NY. I'd go see Lestat. In fact, there are about six shows I'd love to see. As it is, I'm seeing two shows the one full day I'm there.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 07:36:59 PM by Maria »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #164 on: March 26, 2006, 07:38:50 PM »

James and I had a good time at Rufus, and it turned out that Ryan, the maitre d' from Becco, used to be in the biz too - a dancer/actor.  Lots of sparkling conversation.  However, around 2:30, I was starting to feel a little drowsy - I just needed to walk around a bit.  So, James and I headed back to Times Square to look at the neon... And then came another surprise...

James ended up flagging down one of those souvenir photo photographers to take our pic.  I had always seen those guys around Times Square, and thought the whole enterprise was kind of kitschy, but since last night was my first night on Broadway...

The photographer was very cool, and very eager to please, to get a good shot.  He took a couple of them, and thanks to the wonders of digital photography we were able to preview the pics beforehand...

-Oh, any chance we get a shot with The Palace Theatre in the background?

Sure. Why don't we head over there.

-That was very cool.

The pics came out well, although both James and I look a bit "happy" from the grappa and other libations we had had earlier in the evening.  James works for a photo agency, so he's going to scan and Photoshop them to make them a little less "happy" - we both had a bit of a pinkish tinge to our faces.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #165 on: March 26, 2006, 07:40:00 PM »

Those of you who are following the drama in my job may appreciate the column that appeared in our local newspaper this morning.  Business columnist Jeffrey L. Seglin is writing about employers who conduct worldwide searches for positions for which they have a strong in-house candidate.  He calls the practice "disingenuous," "dishonest," and a waste of everybody's time.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #166 on: March 26, 2006, 07:41:04 PM »

*Oh, and Ryan assured me that the next time I come into Becco, he'd make sure to have a take out dish of the butternut squash farrotto ready for me to take home.

Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2006, 07:42:34 PM »

Not to bring things down again, but one of my favorite directors, Mr. Richard Fleischer has died. I like him because he did not insinuate his style on his films in an overt style. This is the very reason he is generally not discussed among great directors, although he has an incredible variety and array of films...
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
The Happy Time
Soylent Green
The Boston Strangler
Doctor Dolittle
Fantastic Voyage
Between Heaven and Hell
Violent Saturday
...the list goes on. The guy had a lengthy career! His last movie to see major release was the Glad-bag sponsored MILLION DOLLAR MYSTERY in the mid 80s.

Thanks for the memories.

vixmom

« Reply #168 on: March 26, 2006, 07:44:02 PM »

Those of you who are following the drama in my job may appreciate the column that appeared in our local newspaper this morning.  Business columnist Jeffrey L. Seglin is writing about employers who conduct worldwide searches for positions for which they have a strong in-house candidate.  He calls the practice "disingenuous," "dishonest," and a waste of everybody's time.

Hurrah for Mr. Seglin.....

Are they making you actually interview for your job?!  I havn't caught up with the past few days yet!!

vixmom

« Reply #169 on: March 26, 2006, 07:45:04 PM »

Not to bring things down again, but one of my favorite directors, Mr. Richard Fleischer has died. I like him because he did not insinuate his style on his films in an overt style. This is the very reason he is generally not discussed among great directors, although he has an incredible variety and array of films...
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
The Happy Time
Soylent Green
The Boston Strangler
Doctor Dolittle
Fantastic Voyage
Between Heaven and Hell
Violent Saturday
...the list goes on. The guy had a lengthy career! His last movie to see major release was the Glad-bag sponsored MILLION DOLLAR MYSTERY in the mid 80s.

Thanks for the memories.

I am very sorry to hear that.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #170 on: March 26, 2006, 07:45:27 PM »

As someone who has in the past been up for jobs that eventually went to in-house people, I couldn't agree more.

Ginny

« Reply #171 on: March 26, 2006, 07:45:54 PM »

Hurrah for Mr. Seglin.....

Are they making you actually interview for your job?!  I havn't caught up with the past few days yet!!

Haven't heard yet.  The in-house deadline for applications was last Tuesday and my manager has been at a conference in Boston ever since.  I won't be back until noon this coming Tuesday.

vixmom

« Reply #172 on: March 26, 2006, 07:47:46 PM »

A couple of pictures just for DakotaCelt,

The Brobdinagian Bards an Austin based RenFaire duo who always put on a phenomenol show, very funny and they are great guys.  We met them three years ago and kind of adopted them, they have finally turnd fulltime musicians and are traveling doing RenFaires

vixmom

« Reply #173 on: March 26, 2006, 07:49:31 PM »

"Garbed up" on Saturday

Ginny

« Reply #174 on: March 26, 2006, 07:50:21 PM »

As someone who has in the past been up for jobs that eventually went to in-house people, I couldn't agree more.

Yeah, his column went on to relate a story from a woman who thought she had a chance for a job that actually went to the in-house person.  But, as the IHP in this case, I can tell you it's no picnic on this side of the fence, either.

By the way, I was at a nonprofit event this past week and 2 executive directors - one of a grantmaking foundation and one of a high-profile nonprofit agency - offered to write letters of support for me.

vixmom

« Reply #175 on: March 26, 2006, 07:50:49 PM »

Notice my medieval ditigital camera!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #176 on: March 26, 2006, 07:51:09 PM »

Needless to say, I slept in today.  Until a little after Noon.

James and I decided to head out for brunch...  We walked down to Popover Cafe - 30-45 minute wait...  Then down to Good Enough To  Eat - another 30-45 minute wait...  -And it was past 1:00 already?!?!  So...  We ended up at Artie's.

I was hoping to catch DR elmore at his place, but missed him.  Ah, well... More rice pudding for me!

;D

After a very hearty brunch, we walked up and down Broadway for a bit.  Barnes & Noble.  Zabar's - I had never been in there - WOW!!!!  The second floor housewares department had and amazing selection and some great bargains.  Alas, just window shopping today.  Then it was down to Citarella to scope out the scene there.  Then Barney's Co-Op - When did Levi's start making jeans that cost $180?!?!?

-Oh, and I introduced James to Beard Papa Cream Puffs during our walk...  The special flavor this week is Caramel.  YUM!!!

We walked around until around 5:30, and then I headed on back uptown...
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #177 on: March 26, 2006, 07:53:22 PM »

Yeah, his column went on to relate a story from a woman who thought she had a chance for a job that actually went to the in-house person.  But, as the IHP in this case, I can tell you it's no picnic on this side of the fence, either.

By the way, I was at a nonprofit event this past week and 2 executive directors - one of a grantmaking foundation and one of a high-profile nonprofit agency - offered to write letters of support for me.

Excellent!  and being ever helpful I shall send

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~VIBES OF RAPID DECISION MAKING IN YOUR FAVOR ~~~~~~~~~~~   [/move]

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #178 on: March 26, 2006, 07:55:59 PM »

As for pics... as I mentioned earlier, my digital camera doesn't seem to want to focus anymore, so...

However, I do have many wonderful memories from my first Broadway Preview.  I feel blessed - and lucky - to be a part of the whole Lestat enterprise.  Again, my dream is coming true.

And I truly feel blessed to have such a fine group of people, a fine group of friends here on HHW.  Your words of support, encouragement and congratulations have made this once-in-a-lifetime experience more special than I could have ever imagined.
Make Your Own Luck.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #179 on: March 26, 2006, 07:57:49 PM »

Danise - Animals do mourn. I've been doing a lot of research on crows this year for something I was writing. Even crows mourn. They sit for their dead. (Crow shiva?)
I'm reading a really interesting book - "Animals in Translation" by Temple Grandin. The author draws on her own experiences with autism to understand the emotions of animals. Fascinating.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up