Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ZOTZ AND THE ZING  (Read 67640 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE ZOTZ AND THE ZING
« Reply #210 on: March 27, 2006, 02:07:41 PM »

SMILIN' THROUGH comes on TCM at 10 pm EST...NOT 11 PM as I previously reported....for those of you with DVR's and other assorted mechanical recording devices.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #211 on: March 27, 2006, 02:07:59 PM »

Our library is also closed today... in honor of being open Tuesday through Saturday.

My library is open right now, and that's why I'm at work. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #212 on: March 27, 2006, 02:08:02 PM »

No one has seen the actor who looks like DRJED on the Subway Sandwich Shop commercials?

Maybe I dreamed it ...  

No , but I rarely see the commercials as the man of the house insists on flipping channels while chanting "I don't pay for cable so I can sit through commercials."  Of course this means we always miss crucial litle opening sentences when we get back to the show we were watching but at least we were saved the indignity of seeing a commercial advertisememt!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #213 on: March 27, 2006, 02:08:14 PM »

OH!

One neat thing about my first Broadway performance Saturday night...  Since I'm on the seventh floor, I don't have to dress up for work, I don't have to put on my "dress blacks".  However, I did want to wear something special that night.

When I was brought in last October to play the first week of rehearsals, the producer, Warner Brothers, gave out first day of rehearsal t-shirts - they had the Lestat artwork on the front, and the WB logo on the left sleeve along with "First Rehearsal, 10-31-2005".  For some unknown reason, they had a ton of Mediums, a bunch of Larges, a few X-Larges, and maybe two XX-Larges.  I was hoping to snag an XL, but there were none left by the time I got to the table.  So, I grabbed a Large - well, actually, I grabbed a couple of them (ssssshhh).  Alas, the t-shirt sizes were running on the small side - even some of the "medium" people ended up getting a "large" since they fit better.  Well...  At least it would make a nice souvenir.  Fast forward five months later...

Since I had lost some weight over the past couple of months, I decided to try the t-shirt on.  And it fit perfectly.  And that's what I wore for my opening night.  -With shoes, socks, underwear, jeans and a jacket too.  The t-shirt alone would have been most unseemly.

:)

I just knew you were going to say it now fits-good work, keep it up. :)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #214 on: March 27, 2006, 02:09:22 PM »

Ok time to get the Vixter....laters!!!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #215 on: March 27, 2006, 02:10:33 PM »

I'm heading down a little earlier than usual so I can get the cleaning finished and thus give my time and attention to Miss Temple and Mr. Barrymore.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #216 on: March 27, 2006, 02:12:04 PM »

This time around I was even more taken with Clifton Collins' work as Perry Smith. I think he was unjustly denied awards recognition during this past season.

I agree. A factoid for those who may not be aware... Collins is the grandson of the great character actor, Pedro Gonzalez Gonzalez.

Re the grocery store... I have no method. I rarely go to the grocery store. When I do it's to get really important items like jujubes and peanut butter. The lighting in most supermarkets saps my energy. And sometimes I get mesmerized by all the STUFF and just wander around until I'm exhausted. My favorite market of all time was Whole Foods in Boulder, CO. Sometimes I'd go there just to hang out. Good people watching and lots of free samples. And I'd almost always run into somebody I knew.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #217 on: March 27, 2006, 02:12:05 PM »

OK - I guess I should get ready to head in for tonight's show, our second preview...

And I know I've said it many times already, but, once again, the well-wishes and support from everyone has been much appreciated, and tear-inducing at times (which is a good thing).

:)

Laters...

It is just so exciting watching your dreams come true.  May this show just be the beginning of more Broadway shows in the future.

George

« Reply #218 on: March 27, 2006, 02:13:28 PM »

In the early days of CDs, they manufacturers considered the difficulties stores would have displaying record albums alongside CDs....allowing them to share shelf space in a store.

To facilitate the presentation of CDs, the "long box" was created to fit the deep bins LPs were displayed in.  Many (most?) CD manufacturers packaged their product in hideous, nearly impossible-to-open-without-injuring-yourself plastic long boxes.  Others did cardboard longboxes, many of which featured cover art....sort of like a slenderized version of an LP cover.  Many of them were gorgeous.

When it was clear LPs were a thing of the past, store owners upgraded their shelving.  The longboxes -- much-hated by most consumers (even the artistic cardboard ones) were phased out.  They were never designed to store the CD,  and you had the dilemma of either throwing them away, which pained me, or saving them, which is also a pain.

Dan (the Man) obviously retained some beautiful cardboard long boxes with poster-quality art on them for the cast albums.  You can't find these today...ANYWHERE.  So...it's probably best not to trash something like that because SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE will want it, admire it, value it...and LUST after it.

It's even better to make something practical out of it...like a piece of art...and make your friends PEA-GREEN with envy!

I kept a few, myself, and I cut down the long boxes to two of them to make CD cover art for double CD jewel cases because the booklets were too big to fit in the regular CD jewel case booklet slot:  the OBC of Merrily We Roll Along and the concert cast recording of Nymph Errant.  I think I did a pretty good job.  Nowadays, I'd just scan everything and print out new inserts for the double CD cases.  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #219 on: March 27, 2006, 02:14:02 PM »

Page Eight SMILIN' THROUGH Jeanette MacDonald Dance.  :'(

Here she is dressed as tragic bride Moonjean....    :'(

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #220 on: March 27, 2006, 02:20:07 PM »

And it's good to know you didn't omit "underwear"....you never know when you may be flat on your back with paramedics cutting your clothes off you.

I believe that's one of his major fantasies.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #221 on: March 27, 2006, 02:22:17 PM »

Woody - Have you checked out the Kimmel (no relation to BK) Center's website at kimmelcenter.org for Philly WICKED tickets?  There seem to be some tickets available for some of the performances, and the prices look to be somewhat below the Broadway prices.  
I generally let der B handle the tix, let him make the decisions.  As I noted, the idea of seeing Wicked in it's full NYC staging has a lot of appeal for us.  And he's much better at budgeting than I've ever been - I'm a total embarrassment when it comes to money management.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

« Reply #222 on: March 27, 2006, 02:23:53 PM »

One longbox that I kept intact was the first (I think) Simpsons CD, The Simpsons Sing the Blues[/b].  On the back was a cut-out doll of Bart that you could play with.  I have it somewhere and I never cut it up because I knew that someday it would become valuable on its own...maybe now is the time! ;)

Ginny

« Reply #223 on: March 27, 2006, 02:24:29 PM »

My library is open right now, and that's why I'm at work. :P

My library is open today, which is why I had to take a day of sick leave - not that I minded, that's what it's for.

Hearing about the libraries in California and Washington being understaffed and open limited hours reminds me how fortunate we are here in Ohio.  Apparently, OH is the envy of many states when it comes to support for public libraries.  Of course, the politicians are threatening to cut that support...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #224 on: March 27, 2006, 02:24:50 PM »

I have somehow found myself in charge of the church library and have a question for our librarian Dear Readers. I'm using the Dewey Decimal System. What am I supposed to do with books that don't have Dewey Decimal numbers?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #225 on: March 27, 2006, 02:25:27 PM »

Hurrah!! You will be happy to know that they will help build a strong body and mind equally well with skim , whole  2% or 1% milk. :D

espeicially thin mints!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ginny

« Reply #226 on: March 27, 2006, 02:26:43 PM »

I have somehow found myself in charge of the church library and have a question for our librarian Dear Readers. I'm using the Dewey Decimal System. What am I supposed to do with books that don't have Dewey Decimal numbers?

DR Sandra - if they're fiction, shelve them alphabetically by the author's last name.  If they're nonfiction, find a friendly librarian who might be able to help you come up with a number.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

« Reply #227 on: March 27, 2006, 02:27:45 PM »

If you're talking about fiction, then you file alphabetically by author's last name, then year of publication.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #228 on: March 27, 2006, 02:27:46 PM »

Page Eight SMILIN' THROUGH Jeanette MacDonald Dance.  :'(

Here she is dressed as tragic bride Moonjean....    :'(

Wasnt she in a movie with Nelson Eddy about Saskatchewan?
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

George

« Reply #229 on: March 27, 2006, 02:30:13 PM »

You could also try logging into a library's computer (www.trlib.org is where I work ;)) and search to see if they have the book.  If they do, just use their Dewey number!

« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 02:30:52 PM by George »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #230 on: March 27, 2006, 02:32:37 PM »

DR SWW - budgets are for the little people....the ones who have to pay taxes.

DR SANDRA those books are all put together on a big table with a sign that reads:  POTPOURRI.

George

« Reply #231 on: March 27, 2006, 02:32:53 PM »

And if you're interested, you could click HERE to see what all the numbers (before the decimal point, at least) mean. :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #232 on: March 27, 2006, 02:34:03 PM »

Wasnt she in a movie with Nelson Eddy about Saskatchewan?

Yes she was....I believe that was INDIAN LOVE CALL....

She and Nelson are also in BITTERSWEET tonight at 8 pm.  ;D

Tomovoz

« Reply #233 on: March 27, 2006, 02:50:49 PM »

DR TOMovOZ mentioned the movie 8 WOMEN - yes, it was much discussed in these here parts some time ago with MANY of us expressing our delight in viewing said filllum.
Someone reads my posts!!! Who'd have thought. Thanks Jack.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #234 on: March 27, 2006, 02:52:25 PM »

The reason I've asked about supermarket layouts is because we've been discussing the subject at work - which happens to be a supermarket, of course.  

We currently have four supermarkets here in Rehoboth: Super G (where I have the pleasure of toiling), Food Lion, Super Fresh, and the newbie, Safeway.  Because I generally do my shopping after I finish my shifts, I don't shop at the other three very often, but...

A couple of days ago, der B and I decided we wanted steaks for dinner.  The bad news was that there weren't any steaks in the freezer.  More bad news was that neither of us were terribly thrilled with the steaks in the Super G meat department.  Der B remembered that they were having what sounded like a good saile over at Safeway, so I changed shirts (no sense in being too obviously from the competition) and we drove over.

This is about seven thirty/eight at night.  When I left Super G, there were three checkers, a front end manager, a fifth person at the customer service desk,  and people working in the fish department, in the deli, in dairy, a couple in produce, plus a few more restocking the shelves throughout the rest of the store.  It's a little hard to tell if anyone is in the meat department, because their work area is closed off from view of the shoppers, something I would change if I could.

But when we got over to Safeway, I was a little stunned.  There was practically no one working in the store!  There were two checkers, but no one in the deli, no one at the bakery, no one at their (open) meat department...the place was devoid of staff!  This is a store that opened last November, and they are floundering!

The next day, I mentioned this to our management, loyal spy that I am.  They were just as amazed as I had been.  How can you provide customer service if there is no staff around to help the customers?  I mean, when I'm in the store either before or after my shift, if a customer comes up to me with a question or seeking help, even though I'm not on duty at the time I cheerfully help them, or if I don't have the answer for them I find someone who does know the answer, and I don't leave that customer until they are satisfied.  That's just the way we do things at our store.

So, staffing at Safeway is clearly a problem.  The other problem that I spotted was in how the store "felt."  It was...backwards.  Super G, Food Lion, and Super Fresh are all organized so that the customer enters the store and then moves in a counter-clockwise direction, moving up and down the aisles that said customer wants and ignoring the rest.  Safeway, however, is laid out so that the customer enters and then moves in a clockwise direction.  And this feels strange.

Robert, who is a management trainee, and I started to theorize why this might be so.  What I came up with is that, as a culture here in the USA, we tend to go from left to right.  We read from left to right.  We alphabetize on our shelves from left to right.  We look both ways, but more often than not look first left, then right.  Even Sally, in Follies, finds herself not moving left and not moving right, in that order.

Now, take that left-first-orientedness in how people shop in a store.  If you enter a store and proceed to shop in a counter-clockwise direction, looking left means you are looking towards the center of the store.  If, instead, you proceed in a clockwise direction, looking left means you are looking at the walls of the store, and away from most of the goods being sold.  Sure, clockwise is great if you've got great stuff on the walls, but there's this big expanse at Safeway between the meat department and the bakery that is nothing but pharmacy and, well, dull-looking wall.

So, my theory is that Safeway has hurt themselves from the git-go at this store, because of poor design.  As a result, every time der B and I drive by, their parking lot is nearly empty (ours is regularly full).  No customers means they cannot afford to pay their staff, so they cut back and what customers are there get miffed because there's no one there to help them, and don't come back.

I'm glad I'm working where I am.  I like job security.

But I'd still open up our meat department, if I had my druthers.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #235 on: March 27, 2006, 02:54:54 PM »

My, that was a long post!

MBarnum

« Reply #236 on: March 27, 2006, 03:05:38 PM »

Best of vibes for another wonderful evening at Lestat, DR JosePiano!

I believe it is Hozay, DR JRand55...at least that is what I called him.

Ben

« Reply #237 on: March 27, 2006, 03:15:18 PM »

Jose said:

DR Ben - Yes, Dominique Plaisant is with the show.  I'm not exactly sure what her history is with the show, but she was added to fill out the ensemble for the Broadway run.  Very friendly.

I should have been more clear. According to my friend, David, Dominique was in all the workshops and all performances leading up to production. He had not heard she was in the show and wondered since she has been with it from all the pre-Broadway/San Francisco stuff why she wasn't cast. He was very glad to see/hear that she is now in the show. I have met her a couple of times through David but it has been a few years since I last saw her. She has a great voice and she is quite the actor. And she's funny, funny, funny! And she plays a great game of Celebrity, if I recall correctly.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #238 on: March 27, 2006, 03:26:46 PM »

If you're talking about fiction, then you file alphabetically by author's last name, then year of publication.

that is the way it is done also in the public library. However in the academic library it is done using LOC labeling.

We use decimal system ala Dewey for Periodicals, etc.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #239 on: March 27, 2006, 03:30:17 PM »

All packages are addressed and ready to ship - hopefully, the Kevin CDs will arrive tomorrow morning.  I'm pooped, but I've received an invite (sort of last minute) to a little cocktail party - I normally wouldn't go to such last minute things, but the guest list sounds interesting - my pal, composer John Scott (who invited me), film music historian Jon Burlingame and his wife Marilee Bradford, the widow of Alexander McKendrick (director of Sweet Smell of Success - she's having the party), actress Jean Simmons, whom I adore (I wonder if she'll remember that we worked together many moons ago), and a few other interesting types.  

I took all the short stories and they're being printed in the correct order and bound together.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Up