Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GRAND POOBAH  (Read 65006 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE GRAND POOBAH
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2006, 01:09:58 PM »

This afternoon I watched THE NEW ADVENTURES OF OLD CHRISTINE from last night. Some amusing moments, but not laugh out loud funny like the last two weeks have been for me.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2006, 01:10:31 PM »

Back from lunch....dry braised green beans & chicken, a side of rice and pot stickers.

Hot 'n sour soup as an appetizer.

MMMMMMMM-mmmmmmm GOOD!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 01:11:17 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2006, 01:12:27 PM »

Page Four Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2006, 01:16:22 PM »

Then I watched CHICKEN LITTLE. Not as funny, clever, or hip as a Pixar computer animated feature nor as gloriously animated either. But one its own, this mixture of the original story and WAR OF THE WORLDS was an OK afternoon's entertainment. I will say there are a couple of simple tunes early in the picture that easily outclass any of the songs nominated this year for Best Song as the Oscars. I can't believe these songs weren't up for Best Song.

Picture and sound are the usual Disney superb job. I started watching "The Making of Chicken Little" and got about halfway through.

Tomovoz

« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2006, 01:30:17 PM »

"Fledermice" - the New ALW Operetta.
Possibly about Vampires and with a hit song "Mammery"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2006, 01:31:48 PM »

My favourite opera song

"Night" - Jackie Wilson.
(Softly Awkens My Heart)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2006, 01:40:44 PM »

Good luck vibes to DR Ginny!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2006, 01:41:22 PM »

Back from lunch....dry braised green beans & chicken, a side of rice and pot stickers.

Hot 'n sour soup as an appetizer.

MMMMMMMM-mmmmmmm GOOD!

What are pot stickers? I have never heard of them.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2006, 01:46:21 PM »

I am still waiting for the rain here.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2006, 01:48:00 PM »

I'm back from a very busy day so far.  Had a really good class at LACC - all about auditioning - Jose was able to get me a short list of songs not to audition with, and I spoke of personal experiences on both sides of the table, and the kids were very engaged.

I then shipped what packages I could, but the Kevin Spirtas CDs have still not shown up and I'm getting quite annoyed, as I kindly gave them two extra days to deliver them (they asked me last week if Monday or Tuesday would be okay, instead of the due date of last Friday, and I said fine) - I'm supposing they'll arrive in the morning, as it's getting late for them to come today, and I wouldn't be able to ship them anyway.  So, if they arrive before noon, I'll be able to get them all out tomorrow.  

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 01:57:53 PM by Vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2006, 01:58:49 PM »

Heading downstairs a little earlier than usual to take care of a few things that need tending to.

WBBL.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2006, 02:01:40 PM »

Off to my mom's to collect the Vicxter and thence to home and thence to Girl Scouts......

BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Tomovoz

« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2006, 02:15:21 PM »

Magnus & Fosca asked me to list some of Often Bark's operettas.. I know they rejoice when I play Barker Rolls. (They prefer the Jerry Vale song "On and On")
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2006, 02:27:36 PM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  It's very rainy here today.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2006, 02:30:15 PM »

Thanks to dear reader Jane's ever-lovin' Keith, I just reconnected with a school chum I haven't seen or talked to in forty years.  How trippy is that?  She sounds fantastic, and has carved out quite a niche for herself doing music for children.  We did The Glass Menagerie together (she was Amanda, I, Tom) and The World of Sholom Aleichem (we played husband and wife).  I'm sending her the Kritzer books, which I know she'll enjoy, especially the final volume, in which she'll remember everything.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2006, 03:27:01 PM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  It's very rainy here today.  

work....

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2006, 03:31:53 PM »

Thanks to dear reader Jane's ever-lovin' Keith, I just reconnected with a school chum I haven't seen or talked to in forty years.  How trippy is that?  She sounds fantastic, and has carved out quite a niche for herself doing music for children.  We did The Glass Menagerie together (she was Amanda, I, Tom) and The World of Sholom Aleichem (we played husband and wife).  I'm sending her the Kritzer books, which I know she'll enjoy, especially the final volume, in which she'll remember everything.

That is neat when that happens. I recently re-connected with a freind I had lost touch with back in the early 90s. It has been a great experience getting to know her. Man, the stories that have flown...

Glad to hear Jane's DH, was such a lovely person and helped you reconnect her. I have emailed them also on some things. Nice people!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2006, 03:33:30 PM »

It is a strange evening here in the library tonight... Busy, the flu is running rampant and the fire alarm keeps going off for no apparent reason. The FD has been here three times since 330.

Something tells me it is going to be a LONG night!

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2006, 03:39:57 PM »

This rain is getting old. Although it's very cozy in the house. May build a fire later.
For no reason whatsoever... Here's a pic of a Herend porcelain figure. Peasant Madonna. For those of you who don't know from Herend... It's actually a small town near Lake Balaton in western Hungary where in the 1800's Vinzenz Stingl founded the Herend Procelain "Manufactory."
Every pattern in Herend is hand-painted. The techniques used today are the same as those in the 19th century, I'm told. Their China and figurines are known and collected throughout the world. My late Mother was a collector and left me some beautiful figurines and China. -- Which, unfortunately, I had to sell when I was going through some hard times brought on by divorce debts etc. An old story we've all heard before...
Well, a month or two ago I wandered into a small gift shop in Studio City that was liquidating its stock -- and suddenly saw a whole display of Herend in a glass cabinet at the back of the store. The prices were very good. And my breath almost stopped when I saw this figurine. One of my Mother's pieces which I had been forced to sell. It's an older piece that's no longer made. I bought it, of course! (After combining it with another figurine and getting the price down even lower, natch.) Don't you love happy endings? So here she is. I'm going to give her to DD when she and DBF get their own place one day.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 03:50:36 PM by Maria »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2006, 03:43:50 PM »

That is a beautiful piece.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: March 28, 2006, 03:45:39 PM »

Thank you, DR DC.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2006, 03:49:19 PM »

I will check in again later, the fire alarms just went off AGAIN...

Take care and I hope the rains slow you in CA and AZ....

Tomovoz

« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2006, 03:50:21 PM »

Good warm story DR Maria.  Thanks for sharing.
James Thurber 1957

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: March 28, 2006, 03:57:10 PM »

Thank you, DR Tomovoz. Today is a good day for warm stories.
Now I have to feed the Wonderdog and find a way to take him for a walk in this deluge. He's settled into the guest room bed and doesn't seem too eager to wander out. I'm with him on that one.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2006, 04:13:16 PM »

:D Did you say hello from us?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #117 on: March 28, 2006, 04:14:26 PM »

Maria, I love the happy ending.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: March 28, 2006, 04:20:39 PM »

I did, but she doesn't seem to remember either you or Keith.  She did sort of remember PennyO, though.  It took her only twenty seconds to realize it was me calling.  She's still very close with Patsy Moss, and when next I'm in NY we're all going to have dinner.  She sounded great.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: March 28, 2006, 04:22:11 PM »

I just had a long conversation with our site host - the reason this site gets nutty at times is because we've simply outgrown the plan we're on.  He said we have to delete topics and posts - I suggested that we go to a bigger plan and so we're looking into that.  If we're on a server with much more space, everything should work more smoothly without having to delete things.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up