Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: AUTHOR'S NOTE  (Read 21257 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:AUTHOR'S NOTE
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2003, 08:25:26 AM »

Yes, I find it VERY hard to resist buy one-get one free on just about anything. Ever since I've started back eating ice cream, the grocery store I go to has had that on ice cream every single week. Not always Breyer's, of course, but on something every week. This week it's on Edy's Ice Cream. I've never had any of that brand, but I read a Consumer Reports article on ice cream (my, they DO test EVERYTHING!), and they rated Edy's very, very highly.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2003, 08:38:38 AM »

Good morning, DR Ron! How are you feeling this morning?

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2003, 08:39:47 AM »

Recent movies I've seen are Under the Tuscan Sun and Runaway Jury. These are not blockbusters but they are satisfying. If I were to recommend one though it would be Tuscan because it is still "with" me. By that I mean, I can still recall certain scenes and dialogue--plus Diane Lane's performance. What a wonderful actress she is! Without saying a word, you see and feel her pain at divorce, her disappointment with love and her joy of life. The film offers (IMO) something that is seriously lacking in most moviegoing today--a little grace. Hmmm...I think I'll see it again.

Runaway is entertaining too but of a different kind (John Cusack IMO is always interesting to watch), although I would say wait for it to come out on video.  I only went to see it as a second choice because Tuscan wasn't playing.

P.S. The December Cabaret West Calendar is now up on the Cabaret West website. Lots of holiday-themed shows playing. The BIG news is the opening of the Deborah Downey Cabaret Theater. It's 99-seats in 3/4 configuration and is located in the El Portal Center for the Arts in North Hollywood. She'll be presenting a holiday show there Saturday, December 13, at 7 p.m. followed by an Open Mic. Click this link http://www.cabaretwest.org/nowappearing.htm.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 08:47:19 AM by Donna »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2003, 08:40:00 AM »

My tummy is doing VIOLENT GRUMBLES (a play on TomFromOz's favorite foodstuff).

But I am at work.  I am here.  Fulfilling my destiny.

Ooof.

Danise

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2003, 08:42:23 AM »

Yes..I have been lurking for quite sometime now ;)...Thanks for the warm welcome!!

Told you, I did.  Lurk first, post when comfortable, they do.  Why do I sound like Yoda all of sudden?

[move=left,scroll,10,blue,100%]Welcome, Diane![/move]

Hey, I tried something new and it works!   :)

What's not working is Karma.  I tried to give some and it didn't change.  :'(

Like most of you, I rarely go to the movies.  The last one I saw was T3 and I think the last Star Wars movie was before that.    I either do a Pay-Per-View or rent the DVD/tape.  The movies are to loud--does anyone else have a problem with that?  I always walk out with a headache.  

Not to mention the price.  I really feel sorry for a guy trying to date a gal now days.    You have to take out a loan for one date!  I bet it's fifty bucks easy for just dinner and a movie!

Ice Cream:  I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream.  Someone had to say it.  I used to love Butter Nut and Black Walnut but I haven't had either  for a long time.  

Hey, I have a kinda important question.  Is Life still a fun game for a kid?  They're doing a toy drive and I wanted to get something that a would be for a boy or a girl.  I was going to get Operation but since it has batteries, I thought that when the ones I would have bought ran out the kid might not get any more for a long time.  I picked Life because I used to like it when I was a kid but now I'm worried that I picked something no one will want.  Should I take it back?  If I do what should I get?  What's cool?  I have until Saturday.  

I'm still thinking about "Flowers of the Night"  that should be a song.  We have "Music of the Night" and "Shadows of the Night".  Trivia question: who know's what "Shadows of the Night" is from?  It has another name.

Swishy Sarah--that's horrible to be blamed for something you didn't do and then not even get an "I'm sorry".  He needs to go back to school and learn some manners.  I would tell my parents and have them give him what for.

Gotta run and have fun.  Only 2 more days of vacation left.  Sigh.

Have a good and safe day all--Posters AND Lurkers.  Because lurkers sometimes come out of the shadows to post.

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2003, 08:44:53 AM »

Sorry I forgot,  good vibes to Ron and who ever else is ill this day!  Eat light, drink juice.  Rest when you can even if you are at work.  Go home if you feel really bad.

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2003, 08:48:15 AM »

That is a good question DR DANISE.  I have wondered about it myself, and maybe some H/K's who have children or the younger H/K's can help?

Are younger people interested in board games?  Or do they just enjoy and play computer games?

We loved board games - and my brothers and sisters and I still play them.  LIFE was a favorite one, along with Monopoly (of course), my brothers and I liked RISK.  All of us loved CLUE and FINANCE, a Monopoly ripoff.  

And of course the card games UNO and (my favorite) PIT!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2003, 08:49:55 AM »

DR Ron - you should be like our mayor....a story in the newspaper said that he would treat Thanksgiving just like any other day - he would be in his office but wouldn't attempt to get any work done.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2003, 08:52:38 AM »

One of the great joys of being retired is not having to worry about one's work when one is sick. When I taught school, I usually went in sick because it was such a hassle to get up work for a substitute teacher to do, and you couldn't rely on them to teach anything new, so you basically gave the students things to do that marked time but would (hopefully) keep them out of trouble.

I don't mean that as a slight to our substitute teachers at HHW, but we couldn't select our subs. We had to take whomever they could get, and often it wasn't someone very reliable.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2003, 08:54:24 AM »

Oh, David Hemmings passed away!   :'(

He was such a good/bad Mordred!  And he was in Gangs of New York and Gladiator as well.

Blow-Up of course, and a movie not mentioned in his obit as yet:  The Love Machine.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2003, 08:55:54 AM »

I have seen some public service announcements recently on TV suggesting that parents turn off the TV and play board games with their kids. I wish MY parents had wanted to do that! I loved board games (still do) but had a very hard time finding others to participate with me. Loved CLUE, used to play Monopoly over the course of several days at the beach with cousins. Parker Brothers also had a board game I loved called CAREERS, but no one liked it but me. I notice it's not being manufactured any more, so I guess it didn't go over too well. I sure loved it.

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2003, 08:58:39 AM »

Forgot.
ICE CREAM. My preferences are so Plain Jane I probably shouldn't even post on this topic. What I like is for my ice cream to be, first of all, REAL (nothing artificial) and, secondly, CREAMY--no fershulganah nuts, chips, berry bits, candies or alfalfa sprouts in it for me! SO...I usually buy vanilla or chocolate or a combination of the two. That's IT! (oh my, so boring, boring, boring). Ah, well.

Signed,
Jane

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2003, 08:59:08 AM »

Seeing that picture of David Hemmings reminds me how shocked I was when I saw him after a number of years much heavier than he was in his BLOW-UP/CAMELOT days.

I guess we ALL do spread a little as we enter middle age.

Sorry he's gone. He was always a reliable and enjoyable character actor.

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2003, 09:03:12 AM »

I am so frustrated I want to scream. I just pre-ordered Wicked from amazon.ca. I ordered something else as well so I could get free shipping.  When I ordered the other item it said that it would take 24 hours. Yet after ordering it I noticed it would be 3-5 weeks. Do you know how hard it is to change an item on amazon.ca???  They make it very easy to cancel an item. But they make it impossible to add one. After fiddling around for like 20 minutes I finally found a line that said "you cannot add items or combine orders".

Huh?

So I cancelled my order and redid it. And then guess what? It said my promotional certificate had already been used :)

Ha ha. Good thing I had another. But why do they make it so difficult? They will be getting a nice email from me shortly.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 09:11:24 AM by Jennifer »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2003, 09:10:13 AM »

DR Jennifer you are mixed up - online sellers are not there to serve the consumer....they are there to take credit card numbers and put money in the bank.  If they can send you some merchandise sometime in the future (when they decide to), that is just a sideline.

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2003, 09:15:41 AM »

DR Jennifer you are mixed up - online sellers are not there to serve the consumer....they are there to take credit card numbers and put money in the bank.  If they can send you some merchandise sometime in the future (when they decide to), that is just a sideline.

Yes but wouldn't it make more sense for it to be EASY to add items, but DIFFICULT to cancel them?

Maybe it's because amazon.ca is new. Although I do remember having an equally difficult time trying to do the same thing at amazon.com. Although eventually it worked.

The sad thing is that all I'll get out of the email is another discount code. And they will probably frustrate me in the process by using one of their pre-existing form reply letters.

There is nothing I hate more than asking a question or making a comment, and having them ignore what I ask and send me a form letter (that they feel most vaguely answers my question).

And I make it worse. Because when they don't answer my question, I email them back. They probably hate me, but darnit if I ask them something they should ANSWER my question.

Andrea

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2003, 09:18:20 AM »

Hey, I have a kinda important question.  Is Life still a fun game for a kid?  They're doing a toy drive and I wanted to get something that a would be for a boy or a girl.  I was going to get Operation but since it has batteries, I thought that when the ones I would have bought ran out the kid might not get any more for a long time.  I picked Life because I used to like it when I was a kid but now I'm worried that I picked something no one will want.  Should I take it back?  If I do what should I get?  What's cool?  I have until Saturday.  

D

I love life!
It's still a tradition with me and my friend to play life. However, we do the money making version. We play the game over and over again with the grandkids, each time getting tons and tons of money!

It's a great game and better than other things.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2003, 09:23:14 AM »

Online sellers can be VERY frustrating, and there certainly have been times that I've wanted to hurl the computer across the room in frustration in dealing with them.

On the other hand, I have saved SO much money buying over the internet, and have found items I never would have gotten if I had waited for them to arrive in stores here. So, I find it hard to bash them outright.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2003, 09:24:39 AM »

DR MATTH - I enjoyed playing Careers!  But it seems that it either had a lot more pieces or rules or something, because I remember it as being a bit more complicated that LIFE (which we loved) or Go to the Head of the Class   And of course Sorry!

DRJennifer - I know what you mean about those form replies.  I used to get them from my ISP - and if you use PayPal if takes you forever to get to a page so that you can send them an email!  And EBAY is terrible, too.   They send you in circles before you get the "Contact Us" option, even though no place you go before that can answer your question. :P
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 09:27:29 AM by JRand53 »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2003, 09:27:49 AM »

I can't speak to amazon.ca practices, but Amazon.com has been extremely reliable, user-friendly and helpful every time I've encountered a problem.

Bad copy of something received -- immediate dispatch of item via 2-day delivery and easy-to-acquire return mailing label.

Problem with getting order in a timely manner when eBay says all items should be available within 24 hours?  They always upgrade my shipping to two-day delivery and never charge me for shipping at all.

Compared to Amazon.com, all the rest are amateurs, IMO!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 09:28:16 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2003, 09:29:42 AM »

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2003, 09:29:54 AM »

GO TO THE HEAD OF THE CLASS - gosh, I haven't thought of that in years, but I loved it too. And SORRY used to make me so mad because I don't ever remember winning that game. I won CLUE and MONOPOLY on occasion, but never SORRY! I ALWAYS had the worst luck.

I think you're right about CAREERS. I think the rules were more complicated, and you had to go through your career choice successfully three times I think to be declared the winner, and I think it became too repetitive for people to endure.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2003, 09:30:18 AM »

you will have to do a little cutting and pasting to make that link work...

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2003, 09:38:31 AM »

I got there. The writer's critique was decidedly less enthusiastic than DR WEL. Different strokes, I guess....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2003, 09:41:20 AM »

Has that link thrown us into widescreen?

Board games:  How come on free-for-all day you don't come up with these good topics?  Scrabble and Monopoly are my faves.

I really thought Mr. Hemmings was a terrific actor, and if you want to see a really fine Hemmings performance, pick up the low cost MGM DVD of Juggernaut, which is a wonderful movie.  He's also terrific in a film I hope will be on DVD soon, Islands in the Stream.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2003, 09:41:47 AM »

I REALLY should be doing my Excel spreadsheet assignment for my math class, but I wanted to post first.  Maybe Mark or Craig, being the computer experts that they are, would like to volunteer to do said project for me?

The last movies I saw were Elf and Bad Santa, and although they were polar opposites tone-wise, I highly recommend both!  I really do need to get out to a movie theatre...there are a lot of things out now that I want to see.  And I've got to catch all the big prestige pics before Oscar season, but I guess there's still a lot of time.

My favorite ice cream flavor is butter pecan, but I also love strawberry, coconut and peach.  And chocolate, of course.  And French Vanilla.  And...damn it...there are just too many of them.

Jrand--I haven't played Life in ages, but I DO love Trivial Pursuit.  I just have a talent for storing weird random pieces of information in my head.

Swish--wow...I didn't realize that our teasing moniker of Swishy the Druggie would become a psychic prediction!   :P  I AM sorry though you had to go through that, and that security guard SHOULD be fired for his insolence.  

Ah well....back to the delights of schoolwork...

« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 09:42:28 AM by Maya »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2003, 09:52:41 AM »

I had a "Careers" game, and I think it may still be in my mother's house!!!

I loved "Careers" and you're right -- there were far too few kids "capable" of playing it correctly.  You really needed mature minds...or adults.

"Sorry" was a favorite, too.

And I still have fond memories of "Uncle Wiggily."

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2003, 09:53:31 AM »

Don't forget, DR Maya, that the Oscars have been moved back a month to the end of February, so you have one month less time than in years past.

Danise

« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2003, 10:01:21 AM »

I'm so glad that Life is ok.  I just wasn't sure.  Thanks all, I feel better about it now.  

I don't have any kids and am not around them so I started to 2nd guess myself.  

I remember Careers as well. Humm, maybe have to look on E-bay and see if it's there just for the heck of it.

I was raised as a only child so I didn't get to play games as much as I wanted to.  I love to play chess.  My first computer, a TRS80 taught me how.  I never won a game but I think it made me a good player.  

As far as ordering on-line.  I do it all the time.  I might go to the mall and look but most of the time I wait unitl I go home to order something I want.  The only thing I really buy out is clothes.  Something may look GREAT in a catalog or a picture on line but when you try it on yourself, you don't want it.  

And you never can tell the size for sure.  It all depends on the cut.  I prefer to try it on before I buy it and save the return postage if doesn't fit/work.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2003, 10:01:24 AM »

MattH: Do hurry and post again so your total number of posts doesn't read "666"! [shudder]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up