Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: AUTHOR'S NOTE  (Read 21237 times)

William E. Lurie

Re:AUTHOR'S NOTE
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2003, 12:00:05 PM »

By the way - speaking of games has anyone seen or played "Ghettopoly"?  I have it ordered but don't know how long it will take to get as the supply can't keep up with the demand.

Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Andrea

« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2003, 12:00:55 PM »

For some reason they hate single girls travelling alone. They will probably think you are trying to marry an American.I kid you not. I have these discussions EVERY time I go to the US.

Really? I never had that problem. My friend Alex and I were so giddy and cute, that they guy started talking about how much americans liked mcgill and how mcgill kids were always passing over.

Then again, EVERYONE knows I'm trying to marry an american.
So far I've had:

Mr. Florida/ California
Mr. New York
Mr. Pennsylvania/ DC

There are sooooo many states left to cover.

Welcome Diane

MBarnum

« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2003, 12:01:15 PM »

Oh, and DON'T SPILL THE BEANS...that was a cool game! OPERATION was sort of fun too.

Boy this is all bringing back memories of childhood Christmas mornings as that is usually when we got our board games! What fun!!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2003, 12:03:13 PM »

I, too, will miss David Hemmings.  I think my favourite Hemmings piece was a British TV movie called CHARLIE MUFFIN, I believe.  A wonderful spy story (which is usually not my thing) and he's great in it.  I also enjoyed him in a film about a year and a half ago called LAST ORDERS with Michael Caine and Bob Hoskins.

I am a Trivial Pursuit champ.  Of course, I still play the original editions of the basic Genus game, Silver Screen, Baby Boomer, and one called the Vintage Years: the 1920's through the 1950's.  I'm sure subsequent versions of Genus and Silver Screen can't be as good and my movie knowledge of more recent years will falter.  When we played teams, my pal Larry Drake and I would be on a team and were virtually invincible.

SCRABBLE is another one I love.  A recent one I like is WISE AND OTHERWISE...which is a fancy board game of the old parlour game called Dictionary.  In Dictionary, you're given an obscure word and then you have to write a definition and people guess which one is the right one.  You get points if people guess yours. In Wise and Otherwise...you have to finish a Wise saying and people guess on which one is the real one.  

We also play another version of this where you take something like Leonard Maltin's movie book and read out a logline of a movie and then people make up titles and you have to guess the real title.  For years, we called the game California Screaming, after the title my lovely wife had given a description of a movie about a couple being menaced by wild bikers.  But recently a friend entitled a movie about a nanny and some children being menaced by supernatural trees as Mary Poplar...and that seems to be the game's new name.  And, yes, in all these games...some folks actually go for the laugh and you got points for the one that got the biggest laugh.

I also used to play an Avalon Hill game called KINGMAKER which was about the War of the Roses.  Lots of fun, but it could go on for hours, if not days.

I'm also addicted to Solitaire on my computer.

MBarnum

« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2003, 12:03:30 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]:)[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;)[/move] [move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]:D[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]And welcome Diane!!!![/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%];D[/move] [move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]:-*[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%];D[/move]
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 12:05:28 PM by MBarnum »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2003, 12:03:33 PM »

LOL TCB!  Unfortunately BOAT TRIP does not feature Gale Storm.

Gee, I never think of Gale Storm in any films, and after seeing the titles of the films she was in, I understand why.  However, I loved her on TV, and I even remember when she was on Murder She Wrote as nephew, Grady's, mother-in-law.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2003, 12:03:55 PM »

DR WEL:  I, too, have this game ordered.  I keep getting "promising" e-mails saying my order will be honored, but I fear it won't make it for gift-giving!  And I SO wanted to have it with me when I trek to SC this yuletide.

: )

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2003, 12:05:15 PM »

DR Joy:  I'm looking for one on eBay in near-mint condition.  Just because:

Emily

« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2003, 12:07:39 PM »

Ghettopoly is fun... although the game "China Town" is better - where the property is all laundries, restaurants, tenements and herbal medication stores.  :)

The best board games store in the world... I could spend hours here...

http://www.levalet.com/
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

MBarnum

« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2003, 12:08:19 PM »

I keep getting tempted to bid on the 1959 PERRY MASON board game, or the SURFSIDE 6 board game.

Has anyone ever played either one?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2003, 12:09:43 PM »

The only computer game I play (and which I'm addicted to) is Free Cell.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2003, 12:13:52 PM »

OMG DRMBARNUM....those games based on tv shows always turned out to be so lame!  But I think you should be on them for the graphics ALONE!  :o

We had The Patty Duke Show Game, The Dr Kildare Game, and The Lucy Show Game.  :P

I love the Dictionary Game, DRCHARLESPOGUE, and I love the idea of the movie title game!  We must give that a try.

But your post reminded me of another Halloween costume of mine from a few years ago...it was a cutaway, white gloves, etc....and I was Mary Poppins brother who also wanted to be a nanny...
Murray Poppins.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 12:15:48 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2003, 12:16:44 PM »

Charles Pogue, that definition game sounds like Balderdash!  I love Balderdash.  It's the same thing:  you get a card with a word and different definitions, but you have to make up one definition.  You read aloud the three defs. on the card, plus your own, in a random order and the others have to guess the correct one.  You get points if they guess yours.  Fun!
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2003, 12:17:38 PM »

There are FIVE H/K birthdays in the next 10 days!  Check the calendar!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2003, 12:18:19 PM »

BK, I used to be addicted to Minesweeper, another Windows game.  I could spend hours sweeping those darn mines!

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2003, 12:26:13 PM »

By the way, everyone, this is Diane:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 12:28:50 PM by Joy »

Danise

« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2003, 12:29:27 PM »

When can I come over and play, DR JRand? That picture brought back SUCH memories.

Speaking as a gay male, I have to say the bum in MYSTERY DATE is the most desirable of the men behind the door. Yes, you lose if you get him, but you lose only the game if you know what I mean. We had hours of hilarity about that fact.

I wanna play too!  I'll pack my Clue and Life game and hop on the next jet.  

As far as the bum goes, I do remember saying something about he might be like Howard Hughes and rich.   :)

I guess none of us have really grown up because (and I'm suprised that no one has said this yet)  we are still playing on a "Board"!  

At the computer show I went to a few weekends ago, I bought a classic game CD--it has Pong on it.  It's so strange to think that was once "State of the art"--with a SQUARE ball, no less.  They couldn't even get that right.  

Crystal Castle was a favorite of mine which was why I bought the CD.

I keep meaning to say, “Thank you, Karma Fairy for all the Karma!”

Ya know, I guess the bum could be worse--let me show you my prince.  He lives in my shed.  I keep him round in case of an emergency--a ball, need a date quick.  I just haven't worked up the nerve to kiss him yet....
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2003, 12:34:38 PM »

Okay, okay, I'm a horrible friend.   ;)  Here is a much more accurate picture of Diane.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2003, 12:44:52 PM »

Ya know, I guess the bum could be worse--let me show you my prince.  He lives in my shed.  I keep him round in case of an emergency--a ball, need a date quick.  I just haven't worked up the nerve to kiss him yet....

Unfortunately, Danise, that is what my prince looks like after he has been kissed.
“One thing’s universal,

Diane

« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2003, 12:47:36 PM »

Joy is a very good friend..although she does like to torture her friends on occasion ;D
I LOVE A Piano....

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #110 on: December 04, 2003, 12:49:46 PM »

A much nicer picture of the fair Diane.  However, while we are on the subject of that picture, who is the good looking guy with the graying temples and the green print shirt behind her?
“One thing’s universal,

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #111 on: December 04, 2003, 12:52:11 PM »

Okay, okay...to be fair, here's a similar one of me:

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #112 on: December 04, 2003, 12:52:29 PM »

Joy, yes Balderdash is the board version of the old Dictionary game.  I wish I had the foresight and imagination to take a parlour game like dictionary or trivia and turn it into a board game like Balderdash or Trivial Pursuit and make a ton of money off something that people had been playing for years without all the fancy accoutrements of playing boards and plastic pieces and dice.  Next someone will come up with a board version of Button, Button, Who's Got the Button or I Spy With My Little Eye...

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2003, 12:54:58 PM »

Welcome Diane!  :)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2003, 12:56:46 PM »

That didn't work. LOL.  I thought fun things were suppose to happen.

Tomovoz

« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2003, 01:00:49 PM »

DRs JRand & Matt H: I probably will never discuss "Six Feet Under" as every comment will be a spoiler for me for six months or more! I wish I could afford the DVDs. This is TV and acting at it its best. I probably have to wait until next October for the next episode.
Welcome Diane
Danise: "Moon Flower" by Santana is a beautiful piece of music. ("Flor D' Luna") 1977.
Now on to reading page 2!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 01:06:22 PM by Tom from OZ »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #116 on: December 04, 2003, 01:01:05 PM »

A much nicer picture of the fair Diane.  However, while we are on the subject of that picture, who is the good looking guy with the graying temples and the green print shirt behind her?
TCB, that is Oscar, who eventually took over as Pickering and even played Higgins once or so.  He said a grand total of five words on the whole tour and was the sweetest, cutest guy ever.  I had a grand time touring Philadelphia with him.  Really nice, funny guy (once ya get him talking) and did a fantastic job as Higgins and Pickering.  OH, and he's married.  Sorry.

By the way, the story behind those ghastly pictures is this:
One night during the show we were bored backstage and were making faces in the mirror in the dressing room, and Staci (Mrs. Pierce) decided to take pictures of us all doing double chin faces.   Staci later posted the pictures on AmIHotOrNot.com.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #117 on: December 04, 2003, 01:04:31 PM »

Jane, you probably meant to say

Welcome, Diane!

Diane

« Reply #118 on: December 04, 2003, 01:07:45 PM »

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for being so sweet and welcoming me so kindly ::) I'm sorry I lurked for such a long time!
I LOVE A Piano....

Mr. Mark Bakalor

• Administrator
  • SAG / AFTRA
    • mark, my words
« Reply #119 on: December 04, 2003, 01:09:42 PM »

Grammy Award Nominations Announced!

Best Musical Show Album

(Award to the Album Producer(s), and to the Lyricist(s) & Composer(s) of 51% or more of a new score. (Artist, Lyricist & Composer names appear in parenthesis.))

* Flower Drum Song
Hugh Fordin, producer (Richard Rodgers, composer; Oscar Hammerstein II, lyricist) (New Broadway Cast With Lea Salonga & Others)
[DRG Records]

* Gypsy
Jay David Saks, producer (Jule Styne, composer; Stephen Sondheim, lyricist) (New Broadway Cast With Bernadette Peters, Tammy Blanchard, John Dossett & Others)
[Angel Records]

* Man Of La Mancha
Jay David Saks, producer (Mitch Leigh, composer; Joe Darion, lyricist) (The New Broadway Cast Recording With Brian Stokes Mitchell, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Ernie Sabella & Others)
[RCA Victor]

* Movin' Out
Mike Berniker & Tommy Byrnes, producers (Billy Joel, composer/lyricist) (Original Broadway Cast With Michael Cavanaugh)
[Sony Classical]

* Nine - The Musical
Tommy Krasker & Maury Yeston, producers (Maury Yeston, composer/lyricist) (New Broadway Cast With Antonio Banderas, Chita Rivera & Others)
[PS Classics]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up