Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: AUTHOR'S NOTE  (Read 21215 times)

MBarnum

Re:AUTHOR'S NOTE
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2003, 01:16:35 PM »

Thanks for that list Mark,
I did pick up that new Flower Drum Song CD (my only Broadway CD other then Wildcats and the first Flower Drum Song) and I thought it was very good.

Tomovoz

« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2003, 01:20:13 PM »

I am still on page 2 but just read about David Hemmings. "Last Orders" is a movie worth seeing. I assume it had a USA release this year. Great ensemble cast. I think Hemmings narrated on one of those Rick Wakeman albums of the 1970s.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Mr. Mark Bakalor

• Administrator
  • SAG / AFTRA
    • mark, my words
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2003, 01:20:36 PM »

Though I'm SLIGHTLY biased, I'm hoping and betting on NINE, an album I've been working on and with for the last seven months.  :)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2003, 01:22:19 PM »

Thanks for the Grammy nominations, Mr. Mark. Hmmmmm, not a new score among them. The sad state of Broadway.

I had a 77 SUNSET STRIP game. It was a poor man's CLUE and not nearly as much fun, but the pictures of Roger Smith and Edd Byrnes on the box lid were worth the cost of the game.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2003, 01:25:37 PM »

Congratulations to Mark and everyone at PS Classics on the Grammy nomination!  Soooo cool!  

I'm sooo bored at work...need mental stimulation...anyone wanna play Tic Tac Toe or something?

_______
o
_______

____o___

If only I could get some vertical lines now!

Welcome to new DR Diane!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2003, 01:25:44 PM »

Of course I had to go get a scoop of ice cream-Haagen Dazs coffee with health bar pieces added to it.  Other favorites are Baskin-Robbins chocolate chip, chocolate, world class chocolate and English toffee.  Haagen Dazs is my favorite vanilla.  We have a local store, B.J’s, which makes a good peppermint stick.

Swishy Sarah, your complaint might not make a difference on its own, however multiple complaints in the security guard’s file might.  I agree he should not get a way with his comment.

Charles Pogue, I do hope Julieanne is feeling a bit steadier today.

Traditionally Sunday is our movie day.  A few of the recent movies I enjoyed were Bend it Like Beckham, Whale Rider, Holes, Pirates of the Caribbean, Master and Commander, Radio and Lost in Translation.  This Sunday I get to pick the movie so we shall see Love Actually.

Jane

« Reply #126 on: December 04, 2003, 01:28:15 PM »

Let's see if this works.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Welcome Diane.[/move]  :)

Jane

« Reply #127 on: December 04, 2003, 01:29:57 PM »

Okay!  I feel so accomplished.  I really don't know why I wanted it to move since that makes me dizzy.

Now I must get back to my work.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: December 04, 2003, 01:31:44 PM »

I'm guessing the winner will be MOVIN' OUT because the voters will think it's cool to vote for Billy Joel, and the ironic thing is he won't win if the album does. It's not a new score.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #129 on: December 04, 2003, 01:34:16 PM »

Swishy, although I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with the law, your story was most amusing.

My favorite ice cream flavor is peppermint stick.  Preferably the pink kind.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #130 on: December 04, 2003, 01:35:19 PM »

Maya, I highly recommend the Bathroom Habits Survey at bored.com.  Hours of gross-out amusement.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #131 on: December 04, 2003, 01:40:24 PM »

Thanks, Joy!  I can take bathroom humor in small doses!  

I haven't heard ALL the nominated albums, but Nine is masterfully produced and put together.  I would NOT count it out by any means...even if Movin' Out's more contemporary-sounding score is more in accordance with voters' tastes.

I don't think Gypsy is gonna win...great at parts, but inconsistent.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 01:42:47 PM by Maya »

Tomovoz

« Reply #132 on: December 04, 2003, 01:41:00 PM »

I think "Clue" was sold here as "Cluedo". Very good for deductive reasoning classes at school. I remember some fun nights with friends (after a few glasses of wine) where the Rev Green was quite likely to do some odd things with a candlestick to anyone in any room at all.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: December 04, 2003, 01:48:25 PM »

Work is work.. but I thought I would post a picture taken the other day when Dion was here for everyone's amusement...

Matt H.

« Reply #134 on: December 04, 2003, 01:48:30 PM »

I have to admit I haven't heard the Bernadette Peters' GYPSY, but of the other four, I certainly would prefer that NINE win.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #135 on: December 04, 2003, 01:49:24 PM »

I have seen some public service announcements recently on TV suggesting that parents turn off the TV and play board games with their kids. I wish MY parents had wanted to do that! I loved board games (still do) but had a very hard time finding others to participate with me. Loved CLUE, used to play Monopoly over the course of several days at the beach with cousins. Parker Brothers also had a board game I loved called CAREERS, but no one liked it but me. I notice it's not being manufactured any more, so I guess it didn't go over too well. I sure loved it.

I, too, loved Careers, and always see it as a metaphor for life.
Me, I've placed too much emphasis on happiness, too little on money.
And now I'm getting fame points.

The first order is in at www.WeddingMusical.com for Our Wedding - The Musical CD
and it comes from a dearly missed Kinslet
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 10:54:39 PM by Noel »
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Tomovoz

« Reply #136 on: December 04, 2003, 01:50:04 PM »

TCB: Have you been visiting my garden? There are so many frogs around - at least they are a sign of a healthy environment. Now if I can find someone prepared to catch and kiss all the rabbits. (With my luck they would change into Playboy bunnies). Magnus and Fosca ignore the rabbits totally!
James Thurber 1957

William E. Lurie

« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2003, 01:50:42 PM »

For completeness the Bernadette GYPSY is great.  For performances (and not just Rose), I prefer either Angela or Ethel.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Tomovoz

« Reply #138 on: December 04, 2003, 01:51:08 PM »

Dion was there for everyone's amusement? My kind of guy.
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #139 on: December 04, 2003, 01:52:03 PM »

I guess many of you here know that the original cast album of GYPSY won a Grammy for Ethel Merman. Yep, back then, the star artist and the conductor received the Grammys, not the composer/lyricist, so Sondheim and Styne didn't win Grammys for GYPSY. Isn't that weird! I think Sondheim's first Grammy (and first Tonys) were for COMPANY.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #140 on: December 04, 2003, 01:57:13 PM »

Firstly, welcome Diane!  (My sister's name is Diane.)

Ice cream:
Breyers Chocolate Rainbow – five different chocolate flavors!!
I also really like Dairy Queen’s Reece’s Peanut Butter Cup Blizzard but with extra peanut butter cups.

Movies that I like (and have actually seen):

Bend It Like Beckham
Chicago
Finding Nemo
Pirates of the Caribbean

Like most of you, I rarely go to the movies.  The last one I saw was T3 and I think the last Star Wars movie was before that.    I either do a Pay-Per-View or rent the DVD/tape.  The movies are to loud--does anyone else have a problem with that?  I always walk out with a headache.

Danise, my niece has tinnitis (sp?) so she has a ringing in her ears ALL THE TIME.  It's quiet, but noticeable.  It doesn't stop her from going to movies all the time and live concerts a couple of times a year.  Next week she's going to the Shania Twain concert in Portland, Oregon and almost decided against it because she knew that her ears would hurt afterwards.  But she loves Shania and always has ear plugs (that help a little).
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #141 on: December 04, 2003, 02:01:48 PM »

SORT OF makes up for Merm losing her Tony!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #142 on: December 04, 2003, 02:18:20 PM »

BOARD GAMES: How about Mousetrap!  It was even fun when no one else was around, just to set the whole gizmo up and let it loose.

ICE CREAM: I'm not really much of an ice cream person.  I kinda like Fudge Ripple, but not enough to pursue it.  Der Brucer is the ice cream devourer in our house, always hogging up freezer space, but that's not a problem now because we have the main freezer downstairs (soon to be filled with venison provided by his son in law, which is interesting because he can get the meat fresh but his wife, der Brucer's daughter, refuses to cook it, so I'll have tons of it on hand instead).

FILMS RECENTLY SEEN IN THE THEATERS: Timeline, panned by the critics but enjoyable.  Based on another Michael Crighton book, it doesn't have the dazzle of Jurassic Park, but the plot is certainly servicable, and for something by Crighton a surprisingly small number of major characters get killed off (something like six or seven), making it one of the gentler of his stories.   ::)  Actually, one of the leads, Gerard Butler, is fairly woofy; he's playing the Phantom in the film version of ALW's mock-opera that's currently filming.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #143 on: December 04, 2003, 02:27:45 PM »

Oh, and has anyone been following all the flack that chef, Rick Bayless, has been getting for his Burger King ads?  There was an article in the Food section of the Washington Post yesterday, and I didn't realize some of the reactions were so severe, practically vitriolic.  -Love that word!  I need to check back into egullet.com to observe more of the fireworks!  ;-)  *I wondered about the whole things myself when I first saw the commercial.  *Although, there was a, I guess, sexist, comment about Rachel Ray's endorsement..."Hey, she's a babe.  We expect that."  - ???
The whole flack over at eGullet about Bayless is a total over-reaction, fueled by the self-righteousness of the woman running their news summary.  They're normally a decent crowd over there, on a par with the crowd here, but on occasion they really screw up, particularly when the subject has to do with television.  In this case, their news summary chief decided to get vindictive, and the site leadership never told her to resheathe her claws.  It's gotten as ugly as Bill O'Reilly with the demands that Bayless be answerable to them, when they've already decided that tar and feathers are the uniform of the day.

A shame, really.  Other than this particular incident, I've a lot of respect for the site.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #144 on: December 04, 2003, 02:33:40 PM »

On another note, I am SO glad TCM is showing two Deanna Durbin movies today. IT'S A DATE is showing right now (I'm recording it for keeping), and it will be followed by LADY ON A TRAIN (which I already have). Hopefully, TCM will show some other Durbin movies in the coming months. I have several holes in my collection.

BTW, for you mystery lovers, LADY ON A TRAIN is a mystery and a pretty good one.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #145 on: December 04, 2003, 02:35:51 PM »

I thought Antonio Banderas was going to be the Phantom?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #146 on: December 04, 2003, 02:37:18 PM »

All right, I love Dion but Craig's picture of him, brings up a pet peeve of mine. I am sooooo booooored with caps turned around backwards.  I never saw the point of it in the first place, unless you were a catcher on a baseball team or a camera operator, but I find this silly fashion fad especially ridiculous on 50-60 year old men.  You don't look hip, you just look like you're an old geezer desperately trying to look hip.

Matt H.

« Reply #147 on: December 04, 2003, 02:37:55 PM »

Nope, DR TCB, Lloyd Webber auditioned him, but I guess he didn't find him acceptable. Also, Joel Schumacher is directing and perhaps he didn't like Antonio either. Or maybe Antonio wanted too much money. None of the leads are  household names.

Donald

• So dramatic!
« Reply #148 on: December 04, 2003, 02:41:40 PM »

I'm thrilled for Tommy and Philip and everyone at PS Classics for their Grammy nomination for NINE

however, I also wanted to point out that Ilene Graff, who was a recent guest on the Broadway Radio Show, was nominated for Best Musical Childrens Album for her Baby's Broadway Lullabies!  I emailed "congrats" to Ilene this morning and discovered that she had no idea she had been nominated!  Needless to say, she was THRILLED!!!   Let's all wish her the best and hope she brings come the gold!
DONALD FELTHAM
Host of the Broadway Radio Show

MBarnum

« Reply #149 on: December 04, 2003, 02:45:09 PM »

DR MATTH, LADY ON A TRAIN is indeed a very fun murder mystery! I enjoyed it.

DR Donald, I love Ilena Graff! Wasn't she on ALF? Regardless, I always thought she was such a good actress.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up