Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: AUTHOR'S NOTE  (Read 20940 times)

Michael

Re:AUTHOR'S NOTE
« Reply #180 on: December 04, 2003, 04:06:23 PM »

DR Michael Shayne - is that Richard Denning?

Yes it is.
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #181 on: December 04, 2003, 04:06:42 PM »

Not any more, baby.

Michael

« Reply #182 on: December 04, 2003, 04:10:22 PM »

At least David Hemmings died doing what he liked to do acting.

At age 62

In Camelot at age 26

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #183 on: December 04, 2003, 04:12:25 PM »

David Hemmings with Vanessa Redgrave in BLOW-UP

In Barberella

« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 04:13:21 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #184 on: December 04, 2003, 04:16:39 PM »

Oh yea?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #185 on: December 04, 2003, 04:19:44 PM »

another one from Blow Up

a headshot early 60's

Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #186 on: December 04, 2003, 04:21:07 PM »

How about one where he plays the gay photographer in THE LOVE MACHINE.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #187 on: December 04, 2003, 04:26:33 PM »

Welcome DR Diane!

DR MBarnum: You only own two Broadway cds? OMG, we need to fix this.  Btw, I would like to recommend Avenue Q, which still has me in hysterics.

DR Noel: I want your cd. I didn't have a chance to check your site. But did you decide what you are doing for Canada shipping wise?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 04:36:16 PM by Jennifer »

Michael

« Reply #188 on: December 04, 2003, 04:29:01 PM »

An interesting items about David Hemmings taken from his Telegram obit. There was a lot I didn't know about him

A lauded child soprano for whom Benjamin Britten wrote the boy's role in The Turn Of The Screw, Hemmings became one of the best-known faces of the 1960s after starring in Michelangelo Antonioni's Blow-Up (1966) - a baffling, beautiful critique of "Swinging London" that many saw as a profound indictment of cultural vacuity; others found vacuity in the film itself.

Hemmings was nine when he first sang for Benjamin Britten. For three years he toured in The Turn Of The Screw, until his voice finally broke during a high aria on stage at the Champs Elysee Theatre in Paris. His understudy had been waiting, in full costume, throughout these three years, and was brought on after a brief interlude; alas, his voice broke three days later.

At the end of the 1960s he left London for a holiday in the Seychelles and ended up working in Australia and New Zealand, making more than 20 films.

At one point he had co-founded a film and finance company called Hemdale, which came up with a scheme for shielding actors and musicians from the predations of the taxman under Harold Wilson's government.

For much of the 1970s, Hemmings was in Los Angeles, working as a director. Among the films he directed were Running Scared (1972); The 14 (1973), for which he won a "Silver Bear" award at the 1973 Berlin Film Festival; and Just a Gigolo (1978), which featured appearances by David Bowie and Marlene Dietrich. Hemmings later turned to directing for television, working on episodes of shows such as The A-Team, Magnum PI and Murder, She Wrote.

and then there is the personal stuff.

Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #189 on: December 04, 2003, 04:29:31 PM »

All you have to do is ask, DRMATTH!   ;D

Matt H.

« Reply #190 on: December 04, 2003, 04:31:38 PM »

DR Michael, I have a picture of Richard Denning with the "Michael Shayne" sign right behind him. I started to post it the other day, but when you Richard Denning picture came up, I thought there was no need.

Matt H.

« Reply #191 on: December 04, 2003, 04:33:20 PM »

Thank you SO much, DR JRand!  :D

Jennifer

« Reply #192 on: December 04, 2003, 04:34:32 PM »

DR MattH: Don't talk about cold unless it's -15C with windchill!  We are freakin freezing here!

DR Andrea: Personally I'm stuck on Mr. California.

Yes I have problems at the border almost every time. I can't exactly pinpoint it. I mean I don't have terrible problems.  But once on the bus the guy came to ask questions and he was fixated on me.

Only once have I been put in a "special" room, and that was for no reason at all.I was visiting a college friend (a CANADIAN actually) and the guy saw a the dimaond ring I was wearing and was convinced I was eloping.

I had to explain that a) my friend was Canadian and b) my ring has 4 diamonds on it, it was my grandmother's anniversary band.

But mainly my point is: WHO CARES IF I ELOPE WITH AN AMERICAN???

I felt like asking if it was illegal. I mean what the heck do they care. It made me so mad. Putting me in a room like a criminal. They let me go fast. But it really bothered me!

Oh and I must give a big cheer to amazon.ca.  I sent them two emails today. One was because a cd I received on Tuesday was cheaper today (they offered me a credit). And two, cause the system ate my promo discount.  She didn't quite understand the second part (since i used a different promo she didn't realize that it ate my first one). But I am sure she will resolve this. I was very impressed that she actually answered my question. Yeah for that!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #193 on: December 04, 2003, 04:44:03 PM »

Congratulations DR JENNIFER on tilting the windmills!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 04:46:59 PM by JRand53 »

Tomovoz

« Reply #194 on: December 04, 2003, 04:45:09 PM »

RE Border Crossings: I have been treated very courteously by officials when I have crossed USA and Canadian borders. Maybe Australian passports are more attractive. My only problem(?) years ago with a border crossing was leaving Greece to go to Italy by ship. It was in fact even funny at the time - strip searched. The "official" was a delight and and told us they in fact had a "quota" to fill and didn't think we would mind!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #195 on: December 04, 2003, 04:48:12 PM »

Time for Queen for a Day.  Back later....catch up, Mr BK!

Tomovoz

« Reply #196 on: December 04, 2003, 04:59:32 PM »

Any excuse to "Show off" my collection of 45 rpm recordings.
Dionne Warwick "Amanda"/"He's Moving On" - from "The Love Machine".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #197 on: December 04, 2003, 05:00:25 PM »

I'm RESTING!

Kerry

« Reply #198 on: December 04, 2003, 05:23:10 PM »

Favorite ice creams:

Baskin-Robbins:  Winter White Chocolate (with cherry bits and chunks of chocolate)

Ben and Jerry's:  Cherry Garcia  and one Caramel one I can't think of the name of

Haggen-Daasz:  Vanilla, Dulce de Leche

Board games:  Life (I always seemed to end up with more kids than the car had room for, and the pegs kept falling out), Careers, Candyland, Mille Bornes (anyone else remember this?) Clue, Parcheesi (the game of India!).  We also had the Beverly HIllbillies board game and Pattty Dike game (I forget what the point of either of those was).
I ALWAYS wanted Mystery Date.  Never got to play it, but I would look at all the cards  ;) when my sister and her friends played it.
The commercials on Saturday morning and near the holidays always make the board games look like so much fun.  You need a jolly family with a dad wearing a cardigan to get that much fun out of them.  My family never quite lived up to the happy unit shown in commercials.  But then, that is what therapy is for.
Recent movies?  Have seen very few in theatres.  Last one was "Under the Tuscan Sun" which I loved ofr the scenery and the men.  And I think Diane Lane is beautiful, and her wardrobe was great.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 05:24:04 PM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #199 on: December 04, 2003, 06:37:22 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]LADIES AND GENTLEMEN OF HAINESHISWAY.COM[/move]

Juliana's Journal has been updated with her FULL account of going on a MILLIE on Thanksgiving - complete with pictures!

Enjoy!!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #200 on: December 04, 2003, 06:38:53 PM »

I'm still

RESTING

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #201 on: December 04, 2003, 06:40:21 PM »

Bad news -- The company from which I was buying "Ghettopoly" is refunding my money.  The company making the game has refused to fill his orders and the seller fears the Ghettoploy maker will file Chapter 11 at some point.

Beware!

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #202 on: December 04, 2003, 06:43:27 PM »

Well dear H/Ks,  we finished our modest repast of linguini with a "sort of" carbonara type sauce on it, and sliced leftover chicken breast that I baked the other night.  

Of course, it wasn't Cafe Bizou............. :-[

But then again, it was tasty, and the ever-cute and adorable Sugar sat and looked at his with those lovely eyes.......... pardon me while I gush!!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #203 on: December 04, 2003, 06:54:44 PM »

Tis the Season....

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #204 on: December 04, 2003, 07:05:57 PM »

The "other" guy in "Barbarella":

Matt H.

« Reply #205 on: December 04, 2003, 07:10:52 PM »

So, now we see how DR Ron rests! He decorates slightly and finds angel pictures from 40 year old movies. Sweet!

Jennifer

« Reply #206 on: December 04, 2003, 07:30:05 PM »

Congratulations DR JENNIFER on tilting the windmills!

What does "tilting the windmills" mean?  I'm gathering it has something to do with amazon?

Jennifer

« Reply #207 on: December 04, 2003, 07:37:01 PM »

Re: Border crossings

It's hard to explain. I mean I've never been denied entry or anything. And often it's only a minute or two of hassle.

Maybe I just look guilty :)

I cannot remember if I accidently combined two different border crossings before.  I think the time they made a big deal about my ring (being an engagement ring) was when I was actually visiting my boyfriend and we were going to Las Vegas. Okay maybe that had something to do with it :)

But I was always planning on coming home. Plus I don't think I told them I was going with my American boyfriend.  But like I said, I guess I just don't get it.  I don't think it's a crime to marry your boyfriend in Vegas.  So why do they always bring that up?

And btw, I think the amazon people must read this site, because after mentioning how upset I get by form letters, I didn't get one!  (and it was the first time EVER).

Three cheers for amazon.

Oh and btw, you won't believe this. But amazon.ca says YOU CANNOT ADD ITEMS TO YOUR ORDER. Is that a riot or what? The only way you can do so is by emailing them your changes. Um, what if your order goes out before they get it. That makes no sense to me. But at least I wasn't going mad earlier when I was trying to combine my orders.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 07:40:19 PM by Jennifer »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #208 on: December 04, 2003, 07:37:18 PM »

Jennifer:

Tilting is a term that can mean jousting, or waving a lance or sword.

Tilting at windmills is what Don Quixote de la Mancha did.  Those windmills didn't do a thing to him.  It's what they represented in his mind that mattered to him.

The phrase "tilting at windmills" or, in this case, "tilting the windmills," means you've fought the good fight, taken on the establishment;  in other words, whether you achieve the desired end results, you took action on principle!  (also see: fighting a losing battle).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 07:39:34 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #209 on: December 04, 2003, 07:39:09 PM »

Jennifer, interesting story.  Maybe your luck will begin to change.  For years I had a problem with people pushing me.  I mean really shoving me so I was bounced a few steps.  Whatever was causing this rather common occurance to happen eventually stopped.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up