Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FINAL THROES OF APRIL  (Read 20148 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE FINAL THROES OF APRIL
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2006, 10:29:32 AM »

Off to watch a DVD!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2006, 10:31:25 AM »

Page Three Pepsi Dance.  ;D

Ginny

« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2006, 10:43:52 AM »

Hmmmm....more rain DR GINNY?  I think it's headed your way!

Thanks for the forecast, DR JRand and DR Cillaliz!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2006, 11:10:33 AM »

elmore, both The Heiress and Double Indemnity are out in the UK on region 2 DVDs (have them both) and they're both very nice transfers, so I assume region ones will be coming (Double Indemnity has already been announced as a two-disc SE and our very own Mr. Nick Redman has participated in at least one of the extras).

I can't wait until Double Indemnity is released... Oneof all-time favorites!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2006, 11:57:30 AM »

Yesterday's bridal shower was shorter than last week's - only 4 hours,one half hour having been edited from the 4 and a half hour length of the last one...

But I did get to visit a bit with some of my mother's cousins and my dad's niece - whom I haven't seen since the funerals last July. That was very nice.

Plot: A bunch of ladies enter a restaurant, there is much squealing and hugging. Dance number: they find their place cards and sit at gaily decorated tables. SONG (waiters): Which Would You Prefer? Chorale: Mmmm, What Did You Order?
The centerpiece: The Leading Lady sits Center Stage to open wads of great stuff - During which, one by one, several ladies look furtively at their watches several times, surreptitiously gather up their purses and jackets, and head for the door, waving and blowing kisses.

Though a perennial favorite, for me the show is dated, un-funny, and devoid of melody; the set was lovely, if somewhat static; direction all but non-existent -- it's just taxing and not all that entertaining to watch a beautiful young woman read the card and open the gift thirty or forty times in two hours, two weekends in a row. The show needed better dialogue, some better dance numbers. I have to say the food was great, and a lot of it. And lots of Hershey's Kisses all over the tulip-festooned tables - kudos to the propsmaster.

ROTFLMAO!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2006, 12:17:22 PM »

I'm off to see the Fiddler
The wonderful Fiddler of Anatevka.

Doesn't quite have the same rhythm.  Anyway, be back later! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2006, 12:19:12 PM »

I just came back from 7 month old niece megan's sears photo shoot. I am exhausted!

First session was a family portrait (her and her parents). I was in charge of making her smile. And she did smile. But i had to do a few wacky things.

Then second session was her private photo shoot. My sister said we would take turns making her smile. My sister's husband (baby's father) was up first (one person has to stand beside the baby to make sure she doesn't fall over).

Failure. No smiles. My sister announces that i am to take over.  More jumping, singing her favorite songs. ANd then she starts to cry. So i had to do her favorite thing (i sing shake your baby and dance and shake my butt in her face). That makes her crack up. How embarrassing! :)

She laughs, smiles and we get some great shots.

Then she becomes tired, so the last background was with the baby and my sis, and again i have to try to make her laugh.

The photographer had the songs in her head afterwards (i made up a song called "megan is a dancer" to the tune of "lola").  And she (the photographer) also commented how tired i must be. Yep!  And i had coupons to get the two sessions free (usually 16$ each) and 2 free sheets (usually $10 each).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2006, 12:36:31 PM »

Deceit will have no underscoring - it's the play as we did it.  The theme Grant wrote is for the main and end titles, and underscores the "Intermission" card.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2006, 12:37:02 PM »

Back from having the new play Xeroxed, so we're all ready for the reading tomorrow night.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2006, 01:28:58 PM »

Must have been Montgomery Clift in the air yesterday. Several movies on Turner Classic, JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG on our local PBS, someone here watching SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER, Maria mentions actors taken too soon...

Definitely Lee Remick always is the first one I think of.

Not that he was super-young, but I have a hard time believing James Coburn is no longer around.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2006, 01:37:19 PM »

I am so glad that Disney had Tommy Kirk back to do those comentaries. They were estranged for many years.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2006, 01:41:28 PM »

I had a great afternoon of DVD watching. I started off with SONG OF THE SOUTH. Since it looks like there won't be a commercial DVD release sanctioned by Disney, it's nice to have this version at least to watch. The cartoon sequences continue to delight, and the ending gets me every time, no matter how often I see it. I still have tears well up in my eyes as Bobby Driscoll struggles to come out of his unconsciousness.

Bobby Driscoll is another who was taken far too young, and add Brandon DeWilde to that list, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2006, 01:43:16 PM »

Then, I put in THREE GUYS NAMED MIKE. DR MBarnum and I got the DVD at approximately the same time, but it's been sitting here waiting for me to watch it for weeks. Such a charming, unassuming little romantic comedy.

I remember when I first saw it, I had NO idea which Mike she was going to choose. I really could see her make a case for each one, and it was such a surprise when she finally picked one (though it probably shouldn't have been).

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2006, 01:44:21 PM »

Finished up with Thursday's MY NAME IS EARL, a delightfully fun story of Earl trying to give back a policeman's badge he found. Randy's prayer during the show was hilarious. Such a sweet, simple soul.

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2006, 01:45:26 PM »

I'm another BIG fan of Lee Remick's. What a superb actress!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2006, 01:46:37 PM »

TOD:  We haven't discussed this one for a while, but what films are we still wishing woud arrive on DVD?  I have at least four off the bat:
THE CAT AND THE CANARY with Bob Hope
OH, WHAT A LOVELY WAR!
THE HEIRESS
DOUBLE INDEMNITY

The Three Stooges' HAVE ROCKET WILL TRAVEL.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2006, 01:58:32 PM »

I was listening to Lee Remick singing while I walked this morning ("Anyone Can Whistle")... What a lovely voice she had! And what a wonderful actress - and so beautiful.  Thinking of her brought to mind a TOD... Performers who passed away far too soon. Obviously James Dean comes to mind. Natalie Wood, of course. Thoughts?

I would have to say Dame Mae Whitty.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2006, 02:07:30 PM »

Must have been Montgomery Clift in the air yesterday.

Also gone too soon. A huge talent with such a troubled life. My favorite, favorite favorite (that's THREE favorites) film actor of all time. I even started to write a play years ago with his name in the title -- based on an incident in my teen years. One day I'll finish it. I always had this feeling that he and I would somehow be linked. -- so I couldn't believe it when I found out he had died and we still hadn't met! Maybe this play - when I finish it - will be the vehicle of our "meeting."

On a different note (b-flat) -- Tonight I go to the theater to see a new musical in previews.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2006, 02:30:08 PM »

...And before anyone goes there, by "linked," I didn't mean in that way. I know that his interests lay elsewhere.

Laters!

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2006, 02:33:22 PM »

Off to get cleaned up for dinner at my friend's house tonight.

WBBL.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2006, 02:57:46 PM »

ROTFLMAO!! ;D

Don't know how to unravel that! Please tell me what it means!!!
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2006, 03:00:31 PM »

Maria, what musical are you going to see? Where???
PennyO

Ginny

« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2006, 03:10:01 PM »

Just finished watching a rebroadcast of the PBS South Pacific.  I liked it even more the second time, and DH Richard (who played the Professor in high school) enjoyed it, too.  Now we're going out for some dinner.

Bye for now.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2006, 03:33:34 PM »

And if you've ever seen About Face (I saw it many, many times on the Million Dollar Movie) you've gotten to see Mr. Grey with his real nose.
How about another TOD: Stars who have had work done, and their children who have had work done!

(Kidding...maybe!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2006, 03:39:10 PM »

...And in the morass that was the VD movie....Tate's final scene was VERY moving....and watching it onscreen during a re-release (top billing at last) after her tragic demise was moving and eerie.   The Previn music helped greatly, but Tate was stunning!  I will never forget those moments on the BIG screen.  :'(
Sharon Tate was in a movie about venereal disease???

:o :o :o
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2006, 03:44:21 PM »

I wonder if Juan Diego Florez brought his cycle to the Met signing last week?  What is he sitting on?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 03:44:49 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2006, 03:45:47 PM »

Off to get cleaned up for dinner at my friend's house tonight.

WBBL.
Wait a sec...

Do you mean you're getting yourself cleaned up, or that you're going to be cleaning his house before dinner?

::)  

;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2006, 03:47:53 PM »

Don't know how to unravel that! Please tell me what it means!!!
Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Tushie Off.

(OK, it isn't "tushie," but you get the idea, right?)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2006, 03:58:58 PM »

DR ELMORE - he is obviously sitting on his assets.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2006, 03:59:33 PM »

Montgomery Clift.....THE HEIRESS....THE HEIRESS.....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up