Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: RESTLESS IN THE CITY OF STUDIO  (Read 24619 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
RESTLESS IN THE CITY OF STUDIO
« on: May 29, 2006, 12:06:53 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have made you restless, and now, to combat said restlessness, it is time for you to post until the restless cows come home.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 12:09:37 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:RESTLESS IN THE CITY OF STUDIO
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 12:07:57 AM »

And the word of the day is: MENDACITY!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 12:40:42 AM »

Starship had #1 hit in 1985  with "We Built This City".
I guess they would be the appropriate group to call to mend a city.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 12:44:23 AM »

TOTD: I loved corned beef (also known as silverside) with mashed potatoes, cabbage and carrots.

It is still close to my favourite "comfort food".  I was and am also partial to lamb shanks.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 06:03:29 AM »

Clarence Ray Nagin, Jr., has been re-elected as mayor of New Orleans, largely on his campaign promise to mendacity.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 06:06:54 AM »

My mother hailed from upstate New York.  I mention this because what we loved to have her cook for us were tacos, enchiladas, and chili.  When Dad married her and moved her completely cross country to live with him in California, she took to her new home and it's cultural influences very well.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 07:13:33 AM »

Five posts?  This is what I get when I arise at seven?  This will NOT do, oh, no, this will NOT do.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 07:24:35 AM »

Hiya, early risers!

I inherited the big orange enamel-coated steel soup pot and big black enamel cooking spoon my mom used when she made her Soups. One was a beef-barley-mushroom, which we all liked very well. But The One we waited for, and were gifted with about twice a year, was the sweet and sour cabbage and flanken soup.

First she braised some short ribs (flanken) in the bottom of the pot, then covered them with gallons of water to simmer while she chopped cabbage and tossed that in. It went on all day, the simmering. There was something about tomato paste and kosher sour salt and sugar at some point, late in the day - with my dad standing over her, kibbitzing the seasonings. Apparently, HIS mother made it with raisins and lemons.

Sometimes, she would boil whole cabbabe leaves in water, then meticulously roll a mixture of lean chopped meat and matzoh meal and other stuff in the soft cabbage leaves - like "Pigs in a Blanket" - and drop those into the sweet and sour broth to cook for what seemed like hours. The flanken was taken out, to be used for something else.

The whole house smelled of soup for days, and the scent, wafting out through the kitchen windows, brought my father's brother - Oy! AGAIN he drops in without calling! Set another place! Bring me another bowl.

I will attempt this soup next fall in LA, I think. I'll drive down with the pot and the spoon - and the jar of kosher sour salt, which I also inherited...
PennyO

FJL

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 07:28:48 AM »

TOD:  My Mom's matzoh balls and chopped liver were always just right as far as my tastes were concerned.   She had a special way of making both, and maybe I looked forward to them because I couldn't get them that way from any other person or restaurant.  As it happens, as the years went on, she's started adapting her recipe to more conventional ways of making both dishes, but still, no one makes those particular things to my taste the way Mom did.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 07:33:41 AM »

Mom also made Mandelbrot - another all-day project. Those are the crispy toast-like cookies, not too sweet, with sliced almonds - flat on one side and slightly rounded on the other.

The cookie dough is mixed up one batch at a time, then laid out in a long roll shape for steaming. Then it's placed on a board to rest a bit while the oven is heating up. The roll - now flat on the board side, is sliced carefully across, and the slices arranged so carefully on a baking sheet, and toasted in the oven. Again, it seems to take ALL day. In the end, the mandel (almond)brot (bread) looks a lot like biscotti.
PennyO

FJL

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 07:35:00 AM »

Mom also made a great potato kugel, which she called a "bulbenick" - maybe that can be the word of the day someday  :) :)  - but that required a certain amount of manual dexterity with turning it over and over at just the right point or else risking splattering with hot oil - the things she went through for us!  Now, her manual dexterity is of course not what it used to be, so that dish has fallen by the wayside.  

Similarly, she used to make a great matzoh brei, which also reuqired precision timing - but for that one, my sister-in-law has taken on that recipe and makes it my Mom's way.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006, 07:37:05 AM »

FJL - YES - the chopped liver!!! Last year, when she could hardly haul her old bones around, she insisted on making the chopped liver one last time for Passover! Nobody made it like she did - one of the great once-a-year treats.

When we were little kids, before Cuisinart, she had a big iron meat chopper with a crank, for the liver. As we got older, she would let us operate that thing. It was a very big deal... I will always regret that she got rid of that apparatus when she bought the Cuisinart...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2006, 07:38:48 AM »

About Matzo Brei - that was my dad's specialty. On Sundays. Only HE could do it, nobody else! Now, my brother makes it for special family brunches. Only HE can do it, nobody else! Apparently, it's a Guy Thing...
PennyO

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 07:44:52 AM »

Mom also made Mandelbrot - ... The cookie dough is mixed up one batch at a time...
The batches can also be referred to as sets, of course.  And every cookie looks like itself, and it's smaller fractal parts!

(Click on "sets," if you need the reference.   ::))
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 07:47:10 AM by S. Woody White »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2006, 07:51:34 AM »

Good morning!

Got a very good night's sleep and felt more energetic this morning than I have for the past week or so. I usually have a hard time adjusting to changes in temperature, and now that it's turned hot and humid, my body is requiring some time to adjust.

I haven't turned on my A/C yet, but I have a feeling it's going to happen in the next day or two. My old but very well insulated house can retain either heat or cool for several times after extreme temperature changes, but I've pretty much used up the spring coolness now and am relying on ceiling fans and open windows in the early morn to put some coolish air into the house before the sun's rays warm up the air too much.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2006, 07:54:32 AM »

I'm not certain about my usual lunch with best friend John today. I know his kids are out of school for Memorial Day, and I'm not sure he's working either, so if he isn't, he'll be home playing with them.

I've made up my mind that if we DON'T do lunch, I'm going to bake a cake. I haven't had one in many, many months and am just itching to "be bad" about my cake addiction. We'll see.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2006, 07:56:39 AM »

When I was growing up, my mom's fried chicken was second to none. So, I'd beg for it often, and we'd have it once or twice (if I was lucky) a week.

During college and afterwards when I moved back home while I worked on my master's degree, my mom had started making turkey tetrazinni, and that became my most requested dish of hers. I could practically eat an entire casserole dish of it by myself it was so good.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2006, 07:57:59 AM »

My mom made great liver and onions. I also love a good meatloaf. And I love mashed potatoes.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2006, 07:58:27 AM »

I haven't made any decisions about what I'm going to be watching this afternoon. I'm thinking something light and silly like CLUE perhaps.

If I watch something dramatic, it'll be something full of action like DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE or EXECUTIVE DECISION.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2006, 07:59:25 AM »

Today DR Sandra and I woke up at 4 a.m. to go to the sewage ponds to look for baby herons in the high nests. We waited a long time in front of the locked gates before we remembered today is a holiday and the city workers probably won't be showing up to let us in.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2006, 07:59:54 AM »

So I guess I'll clean house today.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2006, 08:12:37 AM »

What is this - a holiday?

I had FIVE people at my auditions yesterday and they were all capable and I can use them.  I imagine I will have my BIG numbers at the session this evening....and then will make my choices.

I watched THE SOUND OF MUSIC yesterday....from the time Maria leaves the convent to The End.  I may watch again tonight before I have anything to say......
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2006, 08:13:44 AM »

What lovely pictures yesterday...and a video of Bear acknowledging being a GOOD dog!  LOL

And DR CP as the dashing Gypsy he is at heart.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2006, 08:14:35 AM »

And DRS VIXMOM and THE VIXTER and FJL and JOSE at the place to be yesterday LESTAT!  What great photos!

I am still awaiting the answer to DR ELMORE's BI!  And details, of course.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2006, 08:20:16 AM »

DR FJL I have cropped, resized, and saved DR VIXMOM's photo of you to make you an avatar.  If you would like it, let me know and I will send you the jpeg.

Nice HAT DRJOSE!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2006, 08:22:58 AM »

Hmmm....I don't know from Stuffy Smith (although his name seems to be a play on a cartoon strip character).

BUT if he worked on the BEULAH SHOW, he worked at the Roland Reed studios that also made ROCKY JONES SPACE RANGER, MY LITTLE MARGIE and THE GALE STORM SHOW, and SERGEANT PRESTON.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2006, 08:27:01 AM »

TOD:

Meatloaf and mashed potatoes!  In the summer time, corn on the cob was also added to the menu.

Fresh tomatoes and cheeseburgers were also VERY popular with me!  Add some potato chips and Pepsi...and it WAS summer!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2006, 08:27:26 AM »

Good morning, all!  Last night I shut the computer down, and I didn't want to start it up this morning while my summer guest was sleeping next to it.  I've been up since 7:30, working on the Act Two Toyland libretto, proofing a chart for Mario and reading a bit of the Benjamin Britten book.

I have absolutely no plans today, wich is great, and I'll probably watch some DVDs later after Dylan goes to Barnes & Noble for his 1 - 9:30 shift.

DR JRand55, I'm not answering the question I asked about Tarzan yesterday, but I am the Man Who Knows too Much today.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2006, 08:40:48 AM »

Well, no lunch out today, so I WILL be baking my cake. My taste buds are already jumping for joy!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2006, 08:52:24 AM »

MBarnum I did a bit of research on Snuffy which is why I expect to recognize him if I can find a photo of him as a child.  I found one from the Handball Hall of Fame but he was too old by then.  

George since I hadn’t read the book we also saw The DaVinci Code yesterday.  I found it enjoyable enough not expecting too much too begin with.  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up