Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: RESTLESS IN THE CITY OF STUDIO  (Read 24618 times)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
Re:RESTLESS IN THE CITY OF STUDIO
« Reply #210 on: May 29, 2006, 09:09:06 PM »

For me, the MAME sequence of events proceeded thus: I saw a local production as a kid that blew me away. Fell in love with the songs on the Broadway Cast LP. Then when AUNTIE MAME came on TV, of course I was disappointed there was no music, so I didn't fully enjoy it. Then when I finally saw the film MAME I didn't enjoy that for reasons only Ben's Ant might not understand (he loves it outright). And so, I still seek a production as good as the community theatre production I saw when I was 12.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #211 on: May 29, 2006, 09:09:52 PM »

OH! And DR Ben - Thanks for your report.  I should be heading down to DC in a week or two, and I hope to catch Mame while I'm there.  I would love to see Christine Baranski again - she was just so nice and generous to me during Sweeney Todd.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #212 on: May 29, 2006, 09:15:44 PM »

DR vixmom - If the vixter needs any origami paper and/or books, there is a wonderful Japanese bookstore at Rockefeller Center - just a few blocks away from American Girl Place, in fact.  ;)  -Oh, I believe I put the "folds" in a bag from the store.  Otherwise, I'd suggest a trip to the library - I believe I checked out every origami book from the Arlington (VA) Central Library when I was in middle school.  The books by Kunihiko Kasahara are practically bibles.  However, John Montroll's books are also worth additions to one's origami library - and since most of them are now published by Dover, they're also reasonably priced if you want to buy them.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #213 on: May 29, 2006, 09:16:53 PM »

Wouldn't you know it............

The minute I have major surgery, I  miss out on a chance to play the Baker in THE BAKER'S WIFE.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #214 on: May 29, 2006, 09:17:19 PM »

Oh... And just in case anyone is interested...

Killer Bunnies

*It's quite the addictive card game - you have been warned.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #215 on: May 29, 2006, 09:18:05 PM »

MattH, we caught CLUE on cable a couple weeks back. Hadn't seen it in years. It is a bit labored, and yet fun at the same time.  Madeleine Kahn has some moments that just kill me.

Yes, I feel the same way. The writing just isn't there consistently, and the direction is pretty flat. That said, there are fun moments. Kahn underplays while most everyone else has popping eyes and obvious takes which totally deflate the comic potential.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #216 on: May 29, 2006, 09:22:42 PM »

I saw MAME on stage before I saw AUNTIE MAME on film, so MAME has always been my preferred version of the story, and the changes Lawrence and Lee made from the comedy script to the libretto for the musical don't bother me at all. In fact, I prefer fewer characters.

DR Ben, was the movie song "Lovin' You" added to this stage version of MAME? I dearly love that song.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #217 on: May 29, 2006, 09:22:50 PM »

In the makes you think category...

My God, Maria, I can't think of anything to say in response to that story.  Thank you, for putting my own pain into perspective.
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

« Reply #218 on: May 29, 2006, 09:23:40 PM »

Off to bed now.

Good night!

Tomovoz

« Reply #219 on: May 29, 2006, 09:24:42 PM »

Wouldn't you know it............

The minute I have major surgery, I  miss out on a chance to play the Baker in THE BAKER'S WIFE.
I'm a Baker's son. We could have been related. (but not if Patti was the Baker's wife!).

MMM

Patti Cake Patti Cake Bakerman
Bake me a cake as fast as you can
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #220 on: May 29, 2006, 09:25:32 PM »

Maria- If you could, tell me more about what you thought about THE FAMILY STONE. I found it disarming, and really enjoyed it.

I liked it, but didn't love it. You and TPunk should take a look at PRIME. That one I found surprisingly good. Even shed a few tears at the end.

Tomovoz

« Reply #221 on: May 29, 2006, 09:28:53 PM »

After watching "Russian Ark" DP Colin and myself are planning to visit The Hermitage in the next year or so.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #222 on: May 29, 2006, 09:30:19 PM »

I'm a Baker's son. We could have been related. (but not if Patti was the Baker's wife!).

MMM

Patti Cake Patti Cake Bakerman
Bake me a cake as fast as you can

If Patti was going to play the Baker's Wife, a slight cold would have kept me from accepting the role.  Of course, I am sure we would have played to very large audiences.
“One thing’s universal,

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #223 on: May 29, 2006, 09:35:00 PM »

As for Follies...  I've always wanted to be Yvonne de Carlo.

;)

Years ago, there was a short-lived sitcom on the CBC about my mother - a larger than life Hungarian woman (natch!). Blonde, (natch). Zsazsa accent, (natch). I had nothing to do with it - other than stupidly giving away the idea. When the head of TV drama at the CBC (also a Hungarian - my cousin, in fact) attended the taping of the pilot, he immediately said that the lead was miscast (true!). Not BIG enough, not colorful enough. We must immediately get another actress, he shouted! And whom did he suggest? Yvonne de Carlo! (A Canadian by birth.) They never acted on his perfect suggestion and the series never made it past two pilot episodes.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #224 on: May 29, 2006, 09:38:19 PM »

Good Evening!

Well... James, my roomies and I were playing a game of "Killer Bunnies"* when our guest/former roomie starting having some sort of reaction to something.  Some stomach cramping and she started feeling feverish and broke out into a sweat.  Hmm... So, after her system had calmed down a bit - and after we made sure she was not having any other sort of reaction, we called a car service to take her back to the East Village....

I'm still trying to figure out what could have caused that sort of reaction.  She did try a two small squares of sugar-free chocolate we had here, but the maltitol in that usually had a laxative effect if it has any effect at all.  Hmm...  She was feeling a bit better by the time car came, and we'll be checking in with her in a few.

-Anyone know if there's anything else that might have caused such a reaction?  She's a vegetarian, and we had plenty of "safe" food at dinner for her to eat.

She could be allergic to aspertame. Did she have a headache?
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #225 on: May 29, 2006, 09:52:14 PM »

She could be allergic to aspertame. Did she have a headache?

Nope.  And that's what was a bit puzzling.  No headache, no rash, and her heartrate/pulse felt normal.  She just had a bad stomach, and she felt like she was running a fever all of the sudden.  We just checked in on her, and she's feeling better.  Whew!
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #226 on: May 29, 2006, 10:01:48 PM »

Nope.  And that's what was a bit puzzling.  No headache, no rash, and her heartrate/pulse felt normal.  She just had a bad stomach, and she felt like she was running a fever all of the sudden.  We just checked in on her, and she's feeling better.  Whew!

Frankly, I blame it on Jose.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #227 on: May 29, 2006, 10:03:45 PM »

I over did it today, and I am in a great deal of pain; so, good night, one and all.
“One thing’s universal,

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #228 on: May 29, 2006, 10:19:43 PM »

I am glad to hear that she is feeling better.  Hmmm... mystery...

I was just curious when you mentioned it. Usually when I have reactions to aspartame I get dizzy, thunderclap headaches and a stomach irritation.  My worst reaction is blacking out from it.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #229 on: May 29, 2006, 10:21:14 PM »

I over did it today, and I am in a great deal of pain; so, good night, one and all.

TAke care TCB and please take it easy... We will be here and when you are feeling better we will look forward to your creative witticisms.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #230 on: May 29, 2006, 11:55:17 PM »

Anyone here?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #231 on: May 30, 2006, 12:02:46 AM »

Barely. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #232 on: May 30, 2006, 12:04:52 AM »

I have to go to work in the morning.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up