Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: TOO MANY CONNECTIONS  (Read 22374 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:TOO MANY CONNECTIONS
« Reply #180 on: June 16, 2006, 09:24:25 PM »

Next I put on LUXURY LINER. It's a typical Joe Pasternack film with trilling soprano Jane Powell, innocent older man tenor Lauritz Melchior, George Brent and Frances Gifford for lovers, and Xavier Cugat for rhythm and variety. Powell was still playing a variation of the Durbin Little Miss Fix-It in this. Thankfully, TWO WEEKS WITH LOVE was coming soon and she could leave those juvenile unromantic stories behind.

ANd once Pasternack inserted Mario Lanza into this mix, we got the operatic tenor as romantic lead. That was the very next year with THAT MIDNIGHT KISS.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #181 on: June 16, 2006, 09:25:17 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page Seven Dance!!![/move]

Matt H.

« Reply #182 on: June 16, 2006, 09:26:55 PM »

Then I watched the first episode on the second disc from THE WILD WILD WEST set. Ruta Lee was the love interest for COnrad in this episode, and John Dehner played his adversary. We also got to hear Ross Martin play the violin, and according to Conrad's audio introduction, Martin was an accomplished violinist, something I didn't know.

Matt H.

« Reply #183 on: June 16, 2006, 09:30:17 PM »

Since I read that all of the Judy Garland wardrobe tests weren't on the VALLEY OF THE DOLLS set (just the bits included in the "AMC Backstory" documentary, I decided to watch HOLLYWOOD SCREEN TESTS Take 2 to see all of the tests. I hadn't watched this in awhile, and it was most interesting seeing Angela Cartwright testing for the role in THE PRIME OF MISS JEAN BRODIE that Pamela Franklin played and Walter Matthau auditioning for Tom Ewell's role in THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH.

Reminded me that I haven't watched THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH in a long time, and it's time to take it out and watch it again.

Matt H.

« Reply #184 on: June 16, 2006, 09:30:42 PM »

And now I seem to be alone here so

good night!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: June 16, 2006, 10:35:42 PM »

This incessant WUSSBURGERING is nauseating in extremis.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #186 on: June 16, 2006, 11:00:36 PM »

No wussburger here. Just finished watching TWO-LANE BLACKTOP in widescreen on the tube. One of the all-time greats, in my opinion. You get remarkable performances from the non-actors James Taylor and Brian Wilson. Then mind-boggling performance from Warren Oates. Ever seen this, BK? Not sure if it would be your cup of tea or not, but there's really nothing like it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: June 16, 2006, 11:13:14 PM »

I like Two Lane Blacktop.  Even more, I like what I just watched: Patton.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #188 on: June 16, 2006, 11:14:00 PM »

I think I may jump in the shower.  If I get bored of jumping whilst in the shower, then perhaps I'll do the hully-gully whilst in the shower.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: June 16, 2006, 11:14:10 PM »

I am my own frenzy.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #190 on: June 16, 2006, 11:36:08 PM »

A hearty welcome to our newest Dear Reader, DR (Dear Reader) Adriana Patti.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #191 on: June 16, 2006, 11:37:00 PM »

This evening we received a phone call inviting us to an evening of pizza and games.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #192 on: June 16, 2006, 11:41:58 PM »

Pizza and games ain't a bad way to spend the evening.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #193 on: June 16, 2006, 11:44:58 PM »

After work I met some friends at one of the piers overlooking the Hudson. Really a lovely night, and a nice view of sunset. Then TPunk got out of her job and came over. That made it more fun, and later we  took a cab home.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 11:50:59 PM by Rodzinski »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #194 on: June 16, 2006, 11:50:18 PM »

Could explain why I could not get on at all last night....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #195 on: June 16, 2006, 11:55:23 PM »

TOD: Michael Buble crooned to me today.

I have really gotten into him. Wonderful singer.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #196 on: June 17, 2006, 12:00:57 AM »

Tiring. Must...go... to... sleep.

Interview in the paper with Eric Braeden today, Dakota, and said his character's behavior is taking quite a turn due to getting hit in the head or something.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #197 on: June 17, 2006, 12:01:20 AM »

We were hoping to do something along those lines.

I agree with Ginny, lots of pictures indeed.

AFter a long day and meetings in Bismarck, I will try and post my pictures tomorrow. I am too tired to think.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #198 on: June 17, 2006, 12:01:34 AM »

Media Check:

....Book: The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks

I have the opera based on this book.  I got the CD when I was in college (and haven't listened to it in quite a while.  It's minimalist (similar, but not as minimal as Phillip Glass), and I'll admit an acquired taste, but I actually like it.

I read MAN/HAT years ago and loved it.  It was once adapted as an opera which in turn was filmed for British TV.  I've scanned the web a few times to see if there was a DVD but I've never been able to find it.

I never knew that it had been filmed!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #199 on: June 17, 2006, 12:05:56 AM »

I'm home and Margo's daughter has been safely moved back to her home.  The drive down was uneventful, and in the CD player in the van (I was driving Margo's Honda Odyssey and Margo drove a pick-up truck borrowed from one of her friends), were the CDs, "ABBA:  A Tribute:  The 25th Anniversary Celebration," "Part of Your World:  Debbie Shapiro Gravitte Sings Alan Menken" and "The Stephen Schwartz Album" (the latter two produced by our very own BK!).  There was nothing in my VCRs (I totally forgot to check to see if there was anything that I wanted to tape) or DVD players.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #200 on: June 17, 2006, 12:05:58 AM »

Tiring. Must...go... to... sleep.

Interview in the paper with Eric Braeden today, Dakota, and said his character's behavior is taking quite a turn due to getting hit in the head or something.

Interesting.... I have only seen bits and pieces of YR for I do nto get CBS without cable and I refuse to pay teh exorbitant fee the local company is charging.

Interestingly, Eric Braeden was born in Germany and his real first name is Hans.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #201 on: June 17, 2006, 12:07:40 AM »

I get two channels in decently: NBC and PBS. ABC on a good day. Right now NBC is on probation for viewing due to poor quality of material.

George

« Reply #202 on: June 17, 2006, 12:08:43 AM »

It rained a bit on the way down from Olympia, Washington to Portland, Oregon.  When we got to the university, Alexis (Margo's daughter, whom we were moving) had saved two parking spaces right at the front door!  Then, I found out that Alexis  lived on the ninth floor!  Fortunately, there was an elevator.  It started raining a lot as we were bringing stuff down but we were able to wait out the rain undercover (it didn't last long) and got everything loaded up...tightly.  It was questionable if it would all fit, but fit it did. :)

Alexis bought a tarp to cover the stuff on the truck and I tied everything down.  On the drive back, Margo and I were in the truck and Alexis and her friend (who also is from Olympia) drove the van.  It only rained a for about 15-20 minutes during the whole drive and the tarp seemed to hold.  However, when we finally got into Olympia, we realized that it had totally split down the middle (and out of view from the rear-view mirror because it was too tall), but the stuff didn't seem to be wet.  It (and we) all arrived safe and sound!  The worst part of the day was that we didn't get to go to The Cheesecake Factory in Portland.  Darn. :P

George

« Reply #203 on: June 17, 2006, 12:14:44 AM »

As for my mom's birthday dinner at Applebee's...Margo and I didn't get back in time for me to make it. :-\ We planned to be back by five, but we actually didn't get back until seven.  But it was just dinner at a restaurant.  We go there a lot for birthdays. ;) I did get back in time to get over to my sister's house where everyone was and they were playing Phase 10 (our family game of choice).  My sister bought (and I split the cost ::)) our mom a pair of decorative, cement plant urns.  Our mom loves gardening and since she's retired, she can do a lot of it.  She was very happy, so it all turned out well. ;D

George

« Reply #204 on: June 17, 2006, 12:16:10 AM »

As for catching up with today's posts...I've just now started on page 2. :)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up