Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: MERRILY OLD MAN RIVER KEEPS ROLLIN' ALONG  (Read 23183 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:MERRILY OLD MAN RIVER KEEPS ROLLIN' ALONG
« Reply #240 on: June 20, 2006, 07:25:05 PM »

Jane where are pur photos?  We must have photos!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #241 on: June 20, 2006, 07:25:27 PM »

'night Ginny.  Have a good meeting tomorrow.  
Talented student.

vixmom

« Reply #242 on: June 20, 2006, 07:26:14 PM »

Speaking of which... Uncle Mike thanls for sharing your trip with your cute as a button Taylor!!

vixmom

« Reply #243 on: June 20, 2006, 07:27:28 PM »

Here is a question I should know the answer to...

Why is the director listed as Alan Smithee on the extended version of Dune?  (One of Vixdad's  Father's Day presents by request)

Wasn't it directed by David Lynch?

I think its because he was displeased with this version and is  disassociating himself from it, but am I right?  

« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 07:30:35 PM by vixmom »

Jane

« Reply #244 on: June 20, 2006, 07:27:32 PM »

Vixmom-I haven't seen the photos and I'm not sure when Keith will get to them.  We have so much catching up to do before Bryan's visit on Thursday.  He is coming with his new girlfriend.  

Jane

« Reply #245 on: June 20, 2006, 07:28:45 PM »

Speaking of catching up-I have dirty dishes calling-'night.

Ben

« Reply #246 on: June 20, 2006, 07:46:25 PM »

I am back from Hot Feet. Oh, well. It was free.

It actually wasn't as bad as I heard and the dancing is good. The problem is the book. OMG, to be blunt, it sucks!!! And the people delivering the lines can't seem to make the dreadful stuff work.

The choreography is high energy, dynamic and very well executed. It's somewhat repetitive though and the music is

VERY

LOUD

Debbie Allen's daughter was out this evening so I saw the understudy. Perfectly accpetable performance.

The show is very colorful and it would be a rather fun Earth Wind and Fire disco/funk/rock concert if they were not trying to tell the story of The Red Shoes.

That's the report on Hot Feet.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #247 on: June 20, 2006, 07:54:20 PM »

Mission accomplished!  I suggest everyone boycott US Air,  United Airlines flights to Ohio may cost more but I will never fly US Air again till the pigs that run it fly.

They probably fly United.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #248 on: June 20, 2006, 07:55:08 PM »

Every time I hear a Drew Casper commentary, I want to scream, "Use Polident, for crying out loud!"
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ben

« Reply #249 on: June 20, 2006, 08:07:27 PM »

Anthony's show (Beauty and the Beast in case you forgot  ;)) was fun. It was a decent small regional theatre production. I'm not a big fan of B&TB. I think the animated film is much better than the stage show. The problem with the stage show is

IT'S TWO AND ONE HALF HOURS LONG!!!

That is WAY too long to tell a simple childrens story, IMHO. I think most of the music that was added for the stage just sits there. There are too many reprises and numbers go on too long. That being said, I did enjoy myself, even though I saw the show 3 times (Friday evening, Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon). I noticed different things each time. I also sat in different seats for each performance so I could look at different pieces and actors. One of the actors flubbed a line on Friday and he fixed it Saturday and Sunday. On Sunday the actor playing LeFou was laughing so hard in the Kill the Beast number (I don't know why) that he had to turn his back to the audience. His giggles spread and I could see one of the ensemble putting her head down on her partner's shoulder because she was laughing also.

All of Anthony's worries about playing Maurice were for naught. He came off very well and he was actually recognized on Friday as we were about town. They really like him at Mill Mountain and the cast is very fond of him. He doesn't think there is anything for him in the coming season but who knows. I think he can do Big River and Christmas Carol (although the CC is a new "environmental" production).

One cute thing happened after the Sunday matinee. I was in the lobby waiting for Anthony and overheard two older women going through their programs trying to match actor names and character names to the pictures posted in the lobby. The actor playing LeFou was a gymnast and he's still in very good shape so since LeFou is off stage for such a long time, in the Be Our Guest number he played the Flying Carpet. He was listed in the program as

LeFou/Carpet

B&TB takes place in France. They mention it in the song. As I heard the women talking they were pointing out actors and one said to the other...Oh, look here's the one who jumped around. He played LeFou CAR PAY (remember I told you the show takes place in France). Maybe you had to be there but I thought it was very funny.

We had a very nice time in Roanoke. I arrived in the morning. Anthony picked me up at the airport and we went back to his room. We had lunch and then went to the Roanoke Zoo. It's a small facility and well run. It's on the top of a mountain. We got to pet a Cebu. We saw a wolverine with a summer heat rash (according to his keeper). We got to see the monkeys get fed and we got to meet the new baby cougar. She's just nine months old and the man who raised her at the Columbus zoo was here to drop her off at the Roanoke zoo. The climate and physical space is much better (according to the keeper) at Roanoke than in Columbus. They would have to build some artificial place for the cougar in Columbus, but the top of a mountain is perfect for the Cougar.

We went to a couple of antique malls and Anthony found some old sheet music he doesn't have. I found two cute Christmas ornaments for our tree and we found a very funny/kitschy ad for a new kitchen from a magazine from the 1950s (it was mounted and only $1...a steal!).

The entire cast went out for Mexican food on Sunday after the matinee. It was lots of fun in spite of one of the cast members getting so drunk she was not able to stand (they have HUGE margaritas). She was taken home before the end of the evening. Ant and I played domestic after dinner. We went shopping for groceries! Non-perishable items only. Things are significantly cheaper in Roanoke so we went to Kroger and stocked up on things like boxed milk ($1.28 a carton there and almost $2.00 a carton in NYC) and paper towels and some canned goods and peanut butter and jelly and all sorts of other things. Ant has the car and he'll just bring everything back to the apartment when he returns. We still have to drag it up 3 flights of stairs but at least we don't have to walk it back from the grocery store.

There are pictures but they will have to wait until mid-July when the owner of the camera returns to the premises.

It's almost 11pm so I will leave you all for the evening.

See ya tomorrow!

vixmom

« Reply #250 on: June 20, 2006, 08:20:06 PM »

Well past 11 here and I must to bed.  Night all!!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #251 on: June 20, 2006, 08:23:30 PM »

Those pics came out wonderfully clear, DR MBarnum. Thanks for sharing them with us.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #252 on: June 20, 2006, 08:27:23 PM »

My friend Jeff's parents live in Roanoke, and he was there last weekend for Father's Day. How ironic!

Matt H.

« Reply #253 on: June 20, 2006, 08:28:27 PM »

Watched three things tonight. Started off with the gay-themed film I THINK I DO. I've seen it several times (though not lately), so it was nice to revisit it.

Matt H.

« Reply #254 on: June 20, 2006, 08:29:37 PM »

Next up was THE NIGHT OF THE IGUANA. I had read the play in decades (since college), and I hadn't seen the film in probably 30 years either, so it was almost new to me. Better than I remembered it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #255 on: June 20, 2006, 08:29:46 PM »

Good Evening!

Aahh... Nothing like spending the evening with some friends, ordering Chinese food delivery, and some trashy TV ("Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency") to help one unwind from a crappy day... Aaahhh...

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #256 on: June 20, 2006, 08:30:47 PM »

Finished up the evening with tonight's new episode of RESCUE ME. Hilarious in several scenes and poignant in others. A very entertaining show.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #257 on: June 20, 2006, 08:31:08 PM »

DR MBarnum - Thanks for the pics!  Taylor is certainly a beautiful girl.

-And her father and her uncle ain't bad either.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #258 on: June 20, 2006, 09:19:32 PM »

Off to bed now.

Good night!

FJL

« Reply #259 on: June 20, 2006, 09:19:44 PM »

Sorry for being E&T.  I've got to catch up, but just wanted to relate that, while on line buying train tickets for my Friday-to-Sunday D.C. trip, something became clear to the steadily increasing line waiting to purchase:  that the tellers were generally amused by the notion that so few of them were on duty to sell tickets while there were so many buyers.   Obviously it's not their fault that they're understaffed, and they have to be there for hours on end, but the long line and low staff actually seemed to put the tellers in a good mood.

And that's the report from NY Penn Station earlier this evening.   One thing about standing in a long line, it's nice when it's over.

FJL

« Reply #260 on: June 20, 2006, 09:23:56 PM »

Congrats, vixmom!  (I guess I'll find out why I'm congratulating you when I catch up.)  :)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #261 on: June 20, 2006, 10:40:34 PM »

Nice to see you back DR Jane!!

Good meeting vibes to DR Ginny!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #262 on: June 20, 2006, 10:57:45 PM »

Back from a fascinating evening at the DGA, about which more later.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #263 on: June 20, 2006, 11:34:24 PM »

Good Evening!

Aahh... Nothing like spending the evening with some friends, ordering Chinese food delivery, and some trashy TV ("Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency") to help one unwind from a crappy day... Aaahhh...

:)

So, Jose...did you have "Chinese Food in Bed"? ;) (a BK reference)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #264 on: June 20, 2006, 11:34:50 PM »

All of Anthony's worries about playing Maurice were for naught. He came off very well and he was actually recognized on Friday as we were about town. They really like him at Mill Mountain and the cast is very fond of him. He doesn't think there is anything for him in the coming season but who knows. I think he can do Big River and Christmas Carol (although the CC is a new "environmental" production).

What is the environmental production of Christmas Carol???
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #265 on: June 20, 2006, 11:42:35 PM »

Tiny Tim's crutches are no longer made from "old forest" timber and the Turkey is Tofu. The cast may only be recyled Actors from past productions and the ghosts may not exude ectoplasm.

Christmas as such is not given a mention.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #266 on: June 21, 2006, 12:03:40 AM »

For those who've read the Kritzer books (and who hasn't?), you know that Benjamin was fascinated by Fizzies.  Well, they're back!

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/fizzies.htm

And be sure to nose around the site, as they have an amazing assortment of candy from the 50s and 60s, including my fave, Chocolate Babies.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up